2024 Fundraising - $456 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

News about Netflix exclusive films and content

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

dbt1949

Re: News about Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by dbt1949 »

I just watched Jerry Seinfeld's Unfrosted. and understand it's poor reviews. If you watch it you understand too.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

So, would it be fair to say it's receiving a 'frosty' reception? ;)
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

As are you hopefully, after that pun. :doh:
He won. Period.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I absolutely loved Seinfeld (the show), but everything I've ever seen or read about Seinfeld (the comedian) makes me think he's a colossal dick. I even remember watching Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee or whatever that show is and thinking "He constantly comes off as an arrogant prick."
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Apparently he was also one of the donors to the anri-protest event involving the thugs at ucla who attacked the protestors.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sounds like it was his wife. And I'm guessing they didn't realize that the counter protestors were going in with bad intentions/developed said bad intentions as the event wore on.
He won. Period.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

hepcat wrote:Sounds like it was his wife. And I'm guessing they didn't realize that the counter protestors were going in with bad intentions/developed said bad intentions as the event wore on.
And yet, as a Bruin alum, I'm disgusted. They may not have been paying enough attention to know, and yet it was 100% predictable.

I'm far more disgusted at the cops for not addressing any of those violent jackholes tho.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I was curious about Unfrosted and tried about 10 min of it, and yep, that was pretty bad. Sad thing is, I think the topic itself could be great under a different production and direction. But this is a movie that feels desperate. Right at the beginning, there's a scene that sets the tone between Seinfeld and a kid, and Seinfeld pretty much begs the kid to let him tell the story of the poptart. I felt sorry for this kid. And from then on, it constantly feels like the movie wants to laugh at you, not with you. In just the 10 minutes I was able to endure, there was a smugness throughout.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Good lord, Baby Reindeer is...rough. I went in expecting a true crime doc made into a movie. What I got was a very painful show about power dynamics and how it can lead to abuse (sexual and mental), the aftermath of that abuse, mental illness, and coping with coming out. It is VERY heavy. I thought it was very well made for the most part, and it definitely had me thinking more than a few times (especially that ending). But if you're not looking to be bummed out by a lot of shitty people treating people like shit, avoid it.
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Apparently it's based on a true story, and the woman it's based on wasn't very happy about the depiction. But yeah, it's quite disturbing to watch seeing as how unrelenting the stalker is.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

We just started it last night and will stick with it because it's short -- I've been looking for a good half-hour series, although I'd prefer comedy. The male lead reminds me of young Ethan Hawke and the woman could be played by young Kathy Bates. I'm at the age when everybody young reminds me of somebody old.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rumpy wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 1:20 pm Apparently it's based on a true story, and the woman it's based on wasn't very happy about the depiction. But yeah, it's quite disturbing to watch seeing as how unrelenting the stalker is.
It gets even more disturbing once they start to delve into the male lead's trauma.

All in all, it's very well written and very well acted (the actress playing the stalker is fantastic...just hand her all the awards please). It's just very....heavy.
He won. Period.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

We have the final episode left to watch but yeah... we went expecting a dark comedy (which I still think it largely is) and its gotten very dark. The episode with the sexual violence warning was a tough thing to watch.

On the lighter side...
Spoiler:
I love how she types out (often incorrectly) "Sent from my iPhone" despite not having an iPhone. It's just such an absurd little detail.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Even more absurd is
Spoiler:
that he points out she'll sometimes spell the most difficult words correctly, but then misspell very simple words.

Also, that final scene from the show still haunts me due to its implications about the main character. I won't spoil it just yet, but man...
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

hepcat wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 1:27 pm
Rumpy wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 1:20 pm Apparently it's based on a true story, and the woman it's based on wasn't very happy about the depiction. But yeah, it's quite disturbing to watch seeing as how unrelenting the stalker is.
It gets even more disturbing once they start to delve into the male lead's trauma.
Oh yeah, hard agree there. I mean, what the hell? He was probably damaged goods before that even happened, but the part you refer to is beyond words. Definitely a hard-hitting show on many levels. Also have to agree that the actress is excellent. She pours on the charm and then next minute she's full-on vindictive psychopath.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

If you haven't seen Upgrade, it is now included with Netflix. If you like science fiction (or even if you don't), do yourself a favor and watch this. Immensely entertaining.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Is it 2018 Upgrade or 2024 Upgraded?

Im guessing you meant the first one about a guy wit ha AI chip in him and the not ht second one that a romantic comedy right?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I love Upgrade. I actually paid to see it in a theater when it premiered.
He won. Period.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Daehawk wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 3:09 am Is it 2018 Upgrade or 2024 Upgraded?

Im guessing you meant the first one about a guy wit ha AI chip in him and the not ht second one that a romantic comedy right?
It's the one where he gets a chip in his brain and watches reaction videos.
Last edited by Jaymann on Tue May 21, 2024 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol:
He won. Period.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Jaymann wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:49 am
Daehawk wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 3:09 am Is it 2018 Upgrade or 2024 Upgraded?

It's the one where he gets a chip in his brain and watches reaction videos.
Just watched that one. Did not see the end coming. Pretty good movie overall tho.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949