News about Netflix exclusive films and content

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by hepcat »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:06 pm Reminded me of No Country for Old Men and There Will be Blood. Not terrible movies but they spend 20 minutes on a scene that should take 30 seconds (which makes them terribly boring for me to watch). Hepcat, I'm certain you will enjoy it.
That does sound like something I'll love as both of those movies are (as you know) favorites of mine.

Speaking of which, Paul Thomas Anderson has another movie coming. Licorice Pizza. I'm anxious to see that too. I know he's an acquired taste for some, but I love everything he does.
Covfefe!
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

hepcat wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:08 pm
EvilHomer3k wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:06 pm Reminded me of No Country for Old Men and There Will be Blood. Not terrible movies but they spend 20 minutes on a scene that should take 30 seconds (which makes them terribly boring for me to watch). Hepcat, I'm certain you will enjoy it.
That does sound like something I'll love as both of those movies are (as you know) favorites of mine.
You and me both. No Country for Old Men was one of my favorite movies of the last 15 years. I wasn't planning on watching Power of the Dog, but if it's comparable to No Country for Old Men, I guess I have to.
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

It's not as good as No Country (what is?), but it's really good and the ending stuck with me.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I don't know if this one has been mentioned, but The Alpinist is fantastic. It's a documentary about a 23 year old solo free climber who is insane.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:24 am I don't know if this one has been mentioned, but The Alpinist is fantastic. It's a documentary about a 23 year old solo free climber who is insane.
Great film. Free Solo is also worth watching, but is not on Netflix.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Saw that one awhile back. It is pretty great. Conversely, 14 Peaks, which has a guy with a mission to climb all 14 8,000 peaks in a matter of 7 months, we felt was pretty crappy. The guy was a bit of an asshole and his constant 'me me me' attitude got a little annoying. The documentary should have been more of a miniseries with each episode detailing the climb of each of the peaks, as they really glossed over some of the major accomplishments, and never gave each mountain their due. It's a lot more about showing that he 'himself' could do it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:47 am Saw that one awhile back. It is pretty great. Conversely, 14 Peaks, which has a guy with a mission to climb all 14 8,000 peaks in a matter of 7 months, we felt was pretty crappy. The guy was a bit of an asshole and his constant 'me me me' attitude got a little annoying. The documentary should have been more of a miniseries with each episode detailing the climb of each of the peaks, as they really glossed over some of the major accomplishments, and never gave each mountain their due. It's a lot more about showing that he 'himself' could do it.
Agreed. And as someone with some mountaineering experience, it was extremely frustrating to see dude's constant disregard for anything resembling a respect for the safety of himself or those around him.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:34 am
Rumpy wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:47 am Saw that one awhile back. It is pretty great. Conversely, 14 Peaks, which has a guy with a mission to climb all 14 8,000 peaks in a matter of 7 months, we felt was pretty crappy. The guy was a bit of an asshole and his constant 'me me me' attitude got a little annoying. The documentary should have been more of a miniseries with each episode detailing the climb of each of the peaks, as they really glossed over some of the major accomplishments, and never gave each mountain their due. It's a lot more about showing that he 'himself' could do it.
Agreed. And as someone with some mountaineering experience, it was extremely frustrating to see dude's constant disregard for anything resembling a respect for the safety of himself or those around him.
Ugh yeah, my Dad kept pointing out some of the basic mistakes he was making. Frustrating to watch too with so much glossed over. For instance, on Everest, he mentions the long line of climbers he encountered on the way back down causing a bit of a traffic jam, but why bring it up if he never explains how he did manage to get back down? Then, I think it was the next mountain after, where he spends as much as 15 seconds on the mountain. What?? Slow down a bit. This is why I feel it would have been better as a miniseries dedicated to each peak, including the planning and the actual attempt. None of the planning or actual logistics were ever included. Would have made the journey far more impactful. But in the end, it all felt like he was racing through it with blatant disregard for safety. It was the storyline of his Mother that made us keep watching. If not for her, we would probably have quit watching in disappointment. All those impressive vistas felt utterly wasted in the way it was edited too.

Speaking of disappointing documentaries on Netflix, we watched the Micheal Shumacher documentary, and we often watch documentaries to learn things, because who wouldn't? It's a natural environment to do so. But towards the end, they allude to something having happened while showing some ski slopes. They never specifically come out and say what exactly happened, as if they're tip-toeing around the issue which was highly awkward to watch. In the end, I had to use Wikipedia to figure out what exactly had happened and that he'd been paralyzed due to cutting a course and falling on a rock. Probably was done that was as a respect for the family, but as a viewer, it came off feeling rather frustratingly unsatisfying.
Last edited by Rumpy on Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yeah, definitely. I mean, there was a reason no one had completed these peaks anywhere nearly that quickly, and it's not a personal skill level thing (unlike, say, Honnold or LeClerc). Those guys put their own lives on the line, but they're not actively recruiting friends, acquaintances, and random other folks who had turned around to be reckless.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, I kept thinking all the way through, "Who does he think he is?" I mean, in some sense, his mission statement was solid, and I even admired it for him being Nepalese and wanting to 'take back' the mountains, but the more it went along, the more his careless attitude started to shine through, and I was cringing at the argument he was having with the guy at one of the basecamps.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

Anyone else watch “Don’t Look Up”? Very well done and scary how much it mirrors society right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Dramatist wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:03 pm Anyone else watch “Don’t Look Up”? Very well done and scary how much it mirrors society right now.

No, but you have piqued my curiosity, sir.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:08 pm
Dramatist wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:03 pm Anyone else watch “Don’t Look Up”? Very well done and scary how much it mirrors society right now.

No, but you have piqued my curiosity, sir.
I'm halfway there and it's both well-made and entirely depressing how it's trying to be satirical but isn't.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Amazing cast. Jennifer Lawrence is perfect and Cate Blanchett delivers once again.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’ve been avoiding it as the reviews are pretty mediocre to awful so far. ‘Don’t Look Up’…or You Might See One Bomb of a Movie Hurtling Right Toward You“ is one of the more creative reviews.
Covfefe!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

hepcat wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:40 pm I’ve been avoiding it as the reviews are pretty mediocre to awful so far. ‘Don’t Look Up’…or You Might See One Bomb of a Movie Hurtling Right Toward You“ is one of the more creative reviews.
It's better than the critics say. My main complaint is that it was at least 30 minutes too long. The subplot with the pop singer could've been cut entirely. On one hand, a slow-moving movie accurately reflects our slow-moving global warming crisis (which is what the movie's really about). OTOH, it's slow-moving. My secondary complaint is that some of the science is downright laughable.
Spoiler:
Somehow we find and commission a space shuttle that somehow can go into deep space, and we launch it simultaneously with a whole fleet of other rockets, but somehow it...turns around and comes back during the launch phase? LOL
But since it's a dark comedy, I'll rack that absurdity up as a joke. I was mostly amused throughout. It's good political satire and the epilogue, wherein President Streep meets her fate, is hilarious.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

We thought it was a fairly good movie. Yes, the science was questionable, but I see this more like science fiction that conveys a strong message. Plenty of allegory throughout.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Kraken wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:17 pm
hepcat wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:40 pm I’ve been avoiding it as the reviews are pretty mediocre to awful so far. ‘Don’t Look Up’…or You Might See One Bomb of a Movie Hurtling Right Toward You“ is one of the more creative reviews.
It's better than the critics say. My main complaint is that it was at least 30 minutes too long. The subplot with the pop singer could've been cut entirely.
Why do you hate ARIANA GRANDE??!?! She's a goddess!!!

JK... I really enjoyed the entire movie and it was like a perfect find for New Years when I kind of ran out of stuff and wanted to watch a movie. Just the cast alone was worth it to me, and I'd spend any amount of time with this set of folks. This is coming from someone who typically does not like Leo Dicaprio too, he actually won me over in this.

Moving on, has anyone watched The Silent Sea (Korean)? It's a sci-fi drama set on the moon, and I won't say more than that. I really enjoyed it, except maybe the very end.

I started Kingdom (Korean zombies, not hot boxer guys) which seemed to have really good reviews, but it's not as appealing as I thought it would be.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

What I really liked about DiCaprio's character was that he was more subdued than most of his other characters, maybe because it was more of an ensemble cast and because it wasn't all about his character. Therefore, I felt it made him more relatable.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

rittchard wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:22 pm
I started Kingdom (Korean zombies, not hot boxer guys) which seemed to have really good reviews, but it's not as appealing as I thought it would be.
I know there are quite a few of us who raved about Kingdom a while back. It’s got quite a bit of action, but it’s more about the politics and court intrigue. It’s a very well written period piece. Give it some time to sink in as you may be suffering from the after affects of Fear the Walking Dead. Kingdom should help you come back from that though.
Covfefe!
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:06 pm
rittchard wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:22 pm
I know there are quite a few of us who raved about Kingdom a while back. It’s got quite a bit of action, but it’s more about the politics and court intrigue. It’s a very well written period piece. Give it some time to sink in as you may be suffering from the after affects of Fear the Walking Dead. Kingdom should help you come back from that though.
I gave up on that show after whichever episode ended with the boat carrying the elites and their luggage. Even understanding the cultural drivers, I can't manage to accept that level of stupid.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That’s kind of the point of that scene. And it most likely happened numerous times during war….no matter the culture.
Covfefe!
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:53 pm That’s kind of the point of that scene. And it most likely happened numerous times during war….no matter the culture.
Just so we're clear... my focus was on the *luggage*, lest I wander into spoiler territory.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Please do, as I don’t know what you found to be so stupid about that episode now. :?
Covfefe!
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Spoiler:
Didn't the Matriarch pack the corpse of her "honored" (and infected) son in her luggage, and take it to a big city?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ah, THAT luggage.

Yes, but I didn’t view it as stupid.
Spoiler:
I saw it as an act of desperation by a mother who was probably a bit addled or couldn’t accept that what was happening could happen to her son. I need only look around now at people who refuse to get vaccinated against covid to see similar acts of stupidity, so I have no issues with accepting her actions as realistic.
Covfefe!
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:25 am Ah, THAT luggage.

Yes, but I didn’t view it as stupid.
Spoiler:
I saw it as an act of desperation by a mother who was probably a bit addled or couldn’t accept that what was happening could happen to her son. I need only look around now at people who refuse to get vaccinated against covid to see similar acts of stupidity, so I have no issues with accepting her actions as realistic.
Yeah, I totally hear you. It just hits a line I have difficulty accepting. I stopped watching the Walking Dead at the episode where Rick puts his entire flock in jeopardy in order to beat up the wife abuser, just because he wanted that particular woman. The desires were understandable, but the execution flew in the face of everything he had done up to that point. It's a me thing, I guess.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If everyone acted smart and reasonable in shows, we'd only have a medium populated with 10 minute shorts. :wink:
Covfefe!
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

I'd say that's accurate. It's not a good movie. It is, however, a great political satire that is both amusing (there are a few actually funny parts) and terrifying.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

hepcat wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:55 pm
Rumpy wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:40 pm Different strokes and all that, I guess. I thought it was terrible.
If you hate it, I’ll probably love it to timbits. It just shot to the top of my list! :D
I hated it, but I may have to watch it again because I kept falling asleep. Didn't quite hate "There will be Blood" as much, but might have to watch it again too. ZZZZZZZZ
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It's good. Not great, but good. It could have had some fat trimmed off the final product though.
Covfefe!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:17 pm It's good. Not great, but good. It could have had some fat trimmed off the final product though.
I agree with this. It achieves its goal (or what I think is its goal, which is not chiefly to entertain but to satirize our broken society) very well.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I'm about halfway through it. It's not bad so far. I do love Jonah Hill as Chief of Staff. He's great.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:26 pm
hepcat wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:17 pm It's good. Not great, but good. It could have had some fat trimmed off the final product though.
I agree with this. It achieves its goal (or what I think is its goal, which is not chiefly to entertain but to satirize our broken society) very well.
Whoops, sorry. I probably should have quoted em2. I was responding to his response to my response to someone else's response to a response responding to a response about Power of the Dog.

I haven't watched Don't Look Up yet. I've got The Witcher and The Great to catch up on first.
Covfefe!
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Watched Power of the Dog. It was good, but slow. Not nearly as captivating as There Will Be Blood or No Country for Old Men.

Also finished Arcane last night and really liked it. It definitely wasn't something I would've thought to watch on my own, so thanks for the recommendation!
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:56 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:26 pm
Whoops, sorry. I probably should have quoted em2. I was responding to his response to my response to someone else's response to a response responding to a response about Power of the Dog.
I'm sure you'll think it's good, but not great. Maybe a little long.
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:26 pm Also finished Arcane last night and really liked it. It definitely wasn't something I would've thought to watch on my own, so thanks for the recommendation!
:horse:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »