News about Netflix exclusive films and content

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

TheMix

Re: Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by TheMix »

I really enjoyed The Witch. I wasn't sure if I would. Pretty sure it was from a recommendation here. I tend to do Netflix (because it's easier) than Amazon Prime, but I'll see if I can get to The Man From Nowhere. That's one I hadn't heard of.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The link I included lets you watch The Man from Nowhere free if you don’t mind some ads. It is a fantastic action film that has one of the most brutal knife fights I’ve ever seen in a movie.
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hepcat wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:16 am The Castlevania anime was also pretty good. I think its surprise popularity helped get Arcane made.
I suspect Riot's incredibly deep pockets were mostly responsible for getting Arcane made. Remember Mechs vs Minions? The board game that makes Chip Theory seem stingy?

I really need to check out Arcane some time. :)
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:28 am I really need to check out Arcane some time. :)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Been watching The Hardy Boys, which is available on Netflix here, but set to appear later on Disney+ in the U.S in January, I think. It's enjoyable enough, but less a mystery show and more of a fantasy with secret society fluff. Some of the casting choices are hilariously wrong though. The actor playing the older brother for instance is only 7 years younger than the actress playing the Aunt, and when in scenes together, if this were a different show, you would think they could be dating. Doesn't help that she looks really young making her look even closer in age to him, when in fact being the Father's Sister should be closer to around his of age range.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I have an aunt who was an aunt when she was born. Technically half, but still.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Sure, I could understand that, but when you have two actors who are supposed to be playing a 16 year old and an older aunt, their actors only being 7 years apart, it destroys the illusion. It becomes more disconcerting when you realize the Aunt is playing the part of the mother figure.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

We watched a Christmas movie the other day with a male cop and his female partner, who we find out was his little sister's best friend. The guy looked at *least* 10 years older than her, and the angle that she was his "little" sister's best friend made me think they were platonic only. My wife, however, insisted they'd get together in the end. Which they did.

It struck me as a bit creepy, even though a 10-year age gap isn't a big deal. (Even that was a guess, it could have been smaller). His sister could have been two years younger than him, and she had an older best friend, making them actually very close in age. Who knows. Any way you slice it, it was a perfectly reasonable relationship, but I still found it weird.

I guess it goes to show that even though relationships and age differences in a movie might make perfect logical sense, they can strike you as "off" in movie terms.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Go back to the 70s, 80s and 90s. Most movies/shows featuring high school students cast people who looked like they were just done serving a few military tours.
Covfefe!
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

hepcat wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:24 pm Go back to the 70s, 80s and 90s. Most movies/shows featuring high school students cast people who looked like they were just done serving a few military tours.
LOL yeah - just check out Grease!!

Which (kind of OT) really annoyed me a lot of people bitched about Ben Platt playing the lead in Dear Evan Hansen at age 27. He looked a little wonky but the dude basically created the role and made it the success it was. If they put some unknown kid in the lead would it have been a better movie? Doubtful in my mind because he freaking OWNS those songs. OK enough OT ranting lol.

Back on topic, I haven't read every page but has anyone watched Hellbound? I guess because of Squid Game they keep recommending Korean shows to me now. I really liked it. I started Sweet Home yesterday but I fell asleep lol.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I tried watching Hellbound, but turned it off at the torture scene about 3/4 in to episode 1. Not my cuppa.
Last edited by Jaymann on Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Stockard Channing was 49 years old when she made Grease.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Sweet Home really picks up. Maybe even by the end of the first episode, if I recall.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

To further complicate matters, some people look younger or look older than they are, and are easier to get by being cast in certain roles and in this case the Aunt looked around the same age as the brother. So, don't think that was a great casting choice. The actress herself looks fairly young. She was cast as the 21-year old Julie Percell in True Detective to give you some idea. They should have cast someone who looked 35-ish.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

McNutt wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:13 pm Stockard Channing was 49 years old when she made Grease.
She was born in 1944, so that would be 39.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I was joking.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Well it made me look. And I found Olivia Newton-John is now 3 years older than Eve Arden was in Grease.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

James Tolkan, playing Principal Strickland, was 54 when Back to the Future came out. Michael J. Fox turned 60 this year.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Since this thread is about Arcane (get with it, people), I'll tie it together by pointing out that Hailee Steinfeld is younger than the actress that plays her younger sister.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

My favorite example is 28-year-old Steve McQueen in The Blob, playing a decidely middle-aged looking teenager.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

After watching half/most of ‘Dark’, I’m abandoning it.

The RT score and theme drew me in, but I just can’t handle the almost absurd complexity and time/timeline shifting.

Fantastic in every other way (acting, writing, etc), and I was really enjoying until I found myself having to either go back and re-watch stuff or look it up on the internets.

Wayyy too convoluted.

Doesn’t help that we stopped watching it for at least a month, AND that I tend to doze off on the couch while watching TV at night. :p

Recommended for: time travel enthusiasts, engineers, Germans, people who read the Song of Ice and Fire without once having to go back to prior chapters to keep the characters straight

If I was forced to label it using mash-upology:
Stranger Things + Das Boot + Memento :D
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Max Peck wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:34 pm My favorite example is 28-year-old Steve McQueen in The Blob, playing a decidely middle-aged looking teenager.
Covfefe!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:27 pm Since this thread is about Arcane (get with it, people),
Arcane prompted me to look into actually playing the League of Legends games. I realized very quickly that while I absolutely adore the world, characters, and lore, the actual games do nothing for me at all.

The Hearthstone clone card one was ok (those never have much longevity for me), but the actual LoL games are definitely not my thing. Guess I'll just stick to the show.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:16 am
Zaxxon wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:27 pm Since this thread is about Arcane (get with it, people),
Arcane prompted me to look into actually playing the League of Legends games. I realized very quickly that while I absolutely adore the world, characters, and lore, the actual games do nothing for me at all.

The Hearthstone clone card one was ok (those never have much longevity for me), but the actual LoL games are definitely not my thing. Guess I'll just stick to the show.
I've seen several reviewers (yes, I may have watched too many reviews) flat-out say 'this show is awesome, do not under any circumstances play the games.' :lol:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

The latest season (3?) of "You" was kind of meh. it's like Psychopaths the sitcom or something. I really liked the first season. It has been on a downhill slide since.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:43 am After watching half/most of ‘Dark’, I’m abandoning it.

The RT score and theme drew me in, but I just can’t handle the almost absurd complexity and time/timeline shifting.

Fantastic in every other way (acting, writing, etc), and I was really enjoying until I found myself having to either go back and re-watch stuff or look it up on the internets.

Wayyy too convoluted.

Doesn’t help that we stopped watching it for at least a month, AND that I tend to doze off on the couch while watching TV at night. :p

Recommended for: time travel enthusiasts, engineers, Germans, people who read the Song of Ice and Fire without once having to go back to prior chapters to keep the characters straight

Crazy, man. That was one of my favorites. The storytelling is amazing and its use of time-travel blew my mind.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Rumpy wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:09 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:43 am After watching half/most of ‘Dark’, I’m abandoning it.

Wayyy too convoluted.

Crazy, man. That was one of my favorites. The storytelling is amazing and its use of time-travel blew my mind.
Soooo we concur, then. Excellent!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

stimpy wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:17 pm On a unrelated note, if you like womens nipples, I mean REALLY like womens nipples, I'm not kidding....it's like non stop nipplegate.....check out Locked Up.
Almost done with Season 1 and the story is getting better.
Sort of a Orange is the New Black kind of show, but with many more nipples.
The nipple count has stayed persistent.
I mean, they're everywhere!!
It must be freezing in that prison.

Cant wait to see the nipples they bring in for Season 2, 3, 4 .
Update on Locked Up.
The nipple count has dropped drastically after Season 1's eye popping extravaganza.
I'm almost done with season 3 and there nary a nip to be found.

I guess the upside is the stories are still pretty engaging.
And Season 3 brings us exploding hens and penis amputation, so there's that.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
disarm

Post by disarm »

I finished watching Arcane tonight and will simply echo what everyone else has said already... fantastic show in pretty much every way. The story, characters, visuals, music...I loved pretty much everything about it. My only complaint is that it's so short and we're not likely to get more for a while.
Last edited by disarm on Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

disarm wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:02 am I finished watching Arcan[e] tonight and will simply echo what everyone else has said already... fantastic show in pretty much every way. The story, characters, visuals, music...I loved pretty much everything about it. My only complaint is that it's so short and we're not likely to get more for a while.
This one is a bit spoilery, but if any of you havent't watched Arcane yet and need a further nudge, it may be useful to you...

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Finished Season 5 of Big Mouth last night.

I know it’s particular brand of incredibly vulgar and juvenile humor isn’t everyone cuppa, but I thought this season was fantastic. Few shows capture the awkwardness of adolescence as well, and with as much heart.

And the hormone monsters are hilarious.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Watched Power of the Dog. Great cast with Benedict Cumberbatch, Kirsten Dunst, and Jesse Plemons, but they're utterly wasted in this very strange movie.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

What? I thought Power of the Dog was fantastic. I couldn't stop thinking about it afterwards.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Different strokes and all that, I guess. I thought it was terrible.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I liked it. The kid was playing a long game, and though it was disturbing, Cumberbatch ate his karma.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rumpy wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:40 pm Different strokes and all that, I guess. I thought it was terrible.
If you hate it, I’ll probably love it to timbits. It just shot to the top of my list! :D
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

hepcat wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:55 pm
Rumpy wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:40 pm Different strokes and all that, I guess. I thought it was terrible.
If you hate it, I’ll probably love it to timbits. It just shot to the top of my list! :D
Pleasure to be of service ;)
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Rumpy wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:02 pm
I didn't hate it entirely (though I didn't like it either). I just thought it moved excruciatingly slow. I watched it at 1.25 speed for the second half of the movie and then at 1.5 for the the last 30 minutes or so and it was barely tolerable in the glacier-like pace it moved at. Reminded me of No Country for Old Men and There Will be Blood. Not terrible movies but they spend 20 minutes on a scene that should take 30 seconds (which makes them terribly boring for me to watch). Hepcat, I'm certain you will enjoy it.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:06 pm
Rumpy wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:02 pm
I didn't hate it entirely (though I didn't like it either). I just thought it moved excruciatingly slow.
Yeah, admittedly, I liked some parts of it, but it did move really slowly, to the point that any tension built up and released over the climax felt like a letdown. As such, while I liked the intention, I didn't particularly feel it was well done in its execution. The husband played by Plemens was kind of just there and and never stood up to his brother for his Wife's sake. Just let him walk over him while she drank more and more.

FWIW, I didn't care much for No Country For Old Men.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti