Google Pixel phone

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Formix

Re: Google Pixel phone

Post by Formix »

stessier wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:53 am I got the email code, but when I go to checkout, it says the coupon code doesn't exist. I have until 11/10...might give it a few days.
This happened to me too. I had to contact support, who suggested that I go to the store in an incognito tab, do not log in, go to guest checkout, and my code worked just fine.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Formix wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:35 am
stessier wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:53 am I got the email code, but when I go to checkout, it says the coupon code doesn't exist. I have until 11/10...might give it a few days.
This happened to me too. I had to contact support, who suggested that I go to the store in an incognito tab, do not log in, go to guest checkout, and my code worked just fine.
I got an email from Google with a new promo code that was the same as the old promo code. Rather than try what hadn't worked in the past, I used your incognito method checking out as a guest and it worked on the first try. Free shipping will get them here right around Thanksgiving. Thanks!!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
stessier

Post by stessier »

Is anybody using Bitwarden on their Pixel 6? I think I set it up correctly - it puts a little icon on the edge of the screen that I think I'm supposed to be able to tap to enter credentials when necessary. But it does nothing but take up real estate. Did I miss a setting somewhere?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:25 pm Is anybody using Bitwarden on their Pixel 6? I think I set it up correctly - it puts a little icon on the edge of the screen that I think I'm supposed to be able to tap to enter credentials when necessary. But it does nothing but take up real estate. Did I miss a setting somewhere?
Yes, that's not the one you (probably) want. Within BitWarden, enable the auto-fill services (theoretically you only need the first one, but I enable them all because sometimes it's finnicky depending on the nature of the field, and I find I get better coverage if I over-enable). I haven't had trouble once I enabled these. I don't have the persistent icon, but it does fill just about everywhere for me.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:37 pm
stessier wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:25 pm Is anybody using Bitwarden on their Pixel 6? I think I set it up correctly - it puts a little icon on the edge of the screen that I think I'm supposed to be able to tap to enter credentials when necessary. But it does nothing but take up real estate. Did I miss a setting somewhere?
Yes, that's not the one you (probably) want. Within BitWarden, enable the auto-fill services (theoretically you only need the first one, but I enable them all because sometimes it's finnicky depending on the nature of the field, and I find I get better coverage if I over-enable). I haven't had trouble once I enabled these. I don't have the persistent icon, but it does fill just about everywhere for me.
Thanks, I think that did it! I only had the first two checked but checking all four seems to have worked.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:21 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:37 pm
Thanks, I think that did it! I only had the first two checked but checking all four seems to have worked.
I still don't understand the vagaries of all of them--theoretically on a Pixel (un-borked Android) with a current PW manager, only the first should be needed. But I never had success with that either on BW or LastPass.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Well my wife's phone should arrive next week. Mine has been changing every week. First ordered, it was going to be delivered the first week of December, then some point it changes to next week, and now it's January 5th. I reached out and they say the dates shown on your order page are estimated time frames even though nowhere does it say that.

I already have the two ear buds, and even if I wanted to cancel, I can't, or don't want to deal with the hassle.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
naednek

Post by naednek »

Today's been a expensive day. This morning my new 75 inch Samsung NeoQLED arrived, then we went to pick out paint colors for the exterior of the house and while we were out my pixel pro 6 arrived! Thanks Joe Biden!

Phone definetely feels heavier. Had an issue at the carrier store where it said the phone was locked even though I bought it from google, unlocked. Got that figured out and was on my way. While I was there they upgraded my internet to 900 MB\s for $5 less than what I'm paying for. All I had to do was add another line to my mobile account and on top of that they gave me a free galaxy A524 phone. We were going to give my wife's phone to Ethan next year, but we will sell that and give him the new one, once I figure out how to lock it down so that it's barely usable :)

So far the phone is nice, a bit different from the Galaxy.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

naednek wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:16 pm We were going to give my wife's phone to Ethan next year, but we will sell that and give him the new one, once I figure out how to lock it down so that it's barely usable :)
Google Family Link works pretty well. Well, until they turn 13 when Google sends them an email telling them they can unlock everything on their phone.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNBC
will launch its first foldable smartphone sometime in June, challenging Samsung’s market-leading foldable phone business, according to internal communications viewed by CNBC. It plans to announce the device at its annual developer conference, Google I/O, on May 10.

The Pixel Fold, known internally by the codename “Felix,” will have the “most durable hinge on a foldable” phone, according to the documents. It will cost upward of $1,700 and compete with Samsung’s $1,799 Galaxy Z Fold 4.

Google plans to market the Pixel Fold as water-resistant and pocket-sized, with an outside screen that measures 5.8 inches across, according to the documents. Photos viewed by CNBC show that the phone will open like a book to reveal a small tablet-sized 7.6-inch screen, the same size as the display on Samsung’s competitor. It weighs 10oz, slightly heavier than the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4, but it has a larger battery that Google says will last for 24 hours, or up to 72 hours in a low power mode.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Google kills Pixel Pass without ever upgrading subscriber’s phones
In October 2021, Google launched a new Pixel Pass subscription program alongside the Pixel 6 series of phones that promised three things for one monthly payment ($45 for a Pixel 6 or $55 for a 6 Pro): “Google’s best mobile services, device protection, and regular device upgrades.”

However, on Tuesday, Google emailed Pixel Pass customers to say: “We are writing to you to inform you that starting today, we are no longer offering new Pixel Pass subscriptions or renewals.”

They’re not losing out on special paid-for privileges (the fee covered the cost of the phone and a discounted rate for the bundled services over its two-year timeframe). Still, disappointed customers in the Google Pixel subreddit mention things like losing a grandfathered-in lower rate from Google Play Music to join the Play Pass and losing access to bundled services they’d enjoyed as a part of the package.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I've been pretty happy with my Pixel 6 (not pro) I got through Verizon. Not my first choice, and I'm still paying for the phone, but it's quite reliable. I probably have a few too many things loaded so battery kinda suffers, but I usually end the day with 50% power, which is quite good without any charging in between.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I upgraded from a Pixel 3a to a Pixel 8 today. Rogers is practically giving them away through their Upfront Edge financing plan via an offer where they reimburse all the payments for a 2 year term, so there is no down payment and the only monthly charge is the tax on the financing. At the end of the 2 years, I can either return the phone or pay back the down payment fee ($240) and keep the phone.

Of particular note with the Pixel 8 is that Google has committed to providing OS and security updates for 7 years, until 2030, as well as providing repair parts for the same period of time.

The Pixel 8 parts store goes live, should be up for 7 years
Over the holiday break, Google and iFixit added a new batch of parts to the Pixel parts store. The companies now sell genuine parts for Google's latest flagship phones: the Pixel 8 and 8 Pro.

The most common replacement will probably be the screen, which costs $160 for the Pixel 8 and $230 for the Pixel 8 Pro. The product described as a "rear case" is the entire aluminum body of the phone, with the rear glass, camera bar, camera cover glass, side buttons, and charging coil. The Pixel 8 version of this will run you $143, while the 8 Pro version is $173. The batteries are both $43.

If your camera breaks, get ready for some serious sticker shock: The Pixel 8 Pro rear camera assembly is $200 for the bundled set of three cameras. For reference, a Galaxy S23 Ultra camera assembly (four cameras) is $142 from iFixit, while the iPhone 14 Pro Max rear camera assembly is $150. Interestingly, the Pixel 8 also has $200 worth of camera parts despite having one less camera by skipping the complicated periscope zoom lens. The Pixel 8 parts come in separate pieces: $143 for the main camera and $63 for the ultra-wide. This is a ton of money to spend on the camera portion of a phone, and while that's great for shutterbugs, for people more focused on productivity uses, it would be nice not to have to pay for all this. Along with the $43 front camera, a Pixel 8 is $700 and has $243 worth of camera parts!

Other than that, there are various small adhesive and thermal strips. There's no replacement motherboard available, which is a shame since that's probably the first thing that would break from water damage. (Phone motherboards contain your IMEI number used for things like billing and theft blocklisting, and the industry doesn't have a good solution for repairing these.) Since the USB port is part of the motherboard, there's no official repair method.

The Pixel 8 is the first Google phone with seven years of major OS updates, and Google previously said these parts will be in stock for seven years to match, so the phone sounds like it will be a longevity champion.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
stessier

Post by stessier »

My brother did the same upgrade (well, he went to the 8 pro) around Thanksgiving and loves it. Hope it works well for you.