Why isn't anyone here talking about virtual reality?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: Why isn't anyone here talking about virtual reality?

Post by Blackhawk »

Oh, and since I mentioned Beat Saber but didn't post a video, here ya go.

(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Question to you all who have or are deep in the VR waters. Are there any games you have played that you would say make VR a must have? Games where you say to yourself I am so glad I did get a VR headset so I didn't miss this? I am trying to figure out if I would use a Quest 3 enough to justify the cost.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:48 am Ragnarock - another one I could never quite nail (I seem to be rhythmically challenged), but it's a great game to play. It's sort of like Guitar Hero, except you're playing drums on a viking longship. Oh, and this game focuses on viking/power metal, which is a nice change.

You have my attention. Just peeked at the song list, and... :shock:

I was wondering last night if there was a Rock Band equivalent in VR, but figured that'd be really difficult to do without any sort of kick drum. Looks like they incorporated that into the hands beat here. As a (very mediocre) actual drummer that might be tough to get the hang of. We'll see...
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
disarm

Post by disarm »

Skinypupy wrote:I was wondering last night if there was a Rock Band equivalent in VR, but figured that'd be really difficult to do without any sort of kick drum. Looks like they incorporated that into the hands beat here. As a (very mediocre) actual drummer that might be tough to get the hang of. We'll see...
It sounds like you're more into drums, but if you want a really cool guitar experience, check out Unplugged: Air Guitar...finger-recognition controls work surprisingly well, and has a pretty rockin' setlist.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Demeo is very cool as a tabletop experience, but is there an actual D&D equivalent?

That UI with a D&D rule set would be incredible!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:55 am You have my attention. Just peeked at the song list, and... :shock:
I thought you might appreciate that one.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Jaddison wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:55 am Question to you all who have or are deep in the VR waters. Are there any games you have played that you would say make VR a must have? Games where you say to yourself I am so glad I did get a VR headset so I didn't miss this? I am trying to figure out if I would use a Quest 3 enough to justify the cost.
That's kind of tough to answer. The playing field has gotten pretty wide, enough so that the answer would be different for every person. I would say that there are a number of games like that for me. Asgard's Wrath. Moss. HL: Alyx. Audio Trip/Synth Riders. Theater-scale movies in the living room. Being able to go practically anywhere via YouTube VR.

To be honest, the real answer to this question would be for me to slap a headset on you and give you thirty minutes. It's not the games that set it apart, it's the nature and quality of the experience. Visually and audibly, it's getting very close to the holodeck experience, and that's not intended as exaggeration. Like Skinypupy said:
So I just had my very first VR experience ever this morning.

Played the opening segment of Asgard's Wrath 2, Beat Saber, and some augmented reality game where little fuzzy aliens were breaking through the walls of my living room.

This is completely just...insane. :shock: I was very much a VR skeptic, but am absolutely floored by this.

I'm sure the novelty will wear off, but at the moment I feel very much the same way I did when I picked up Guitar Hero for the first time. A wholly transformative gaming experience.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:39 am Demeo is very cool as a tabletop experience, but is there an actual D&D equivalent?

Tabletop Simulator supports VR, so any game you can play on TTS, you can play in VR.

Also, this:

I've not tried it, but it looks interesting.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:30 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:39 am Demeo is very cool as a tabletop experience, but is there an actual D&D equivalent?

Tabletop Simulator supports VR, so any game you can play on TTS, you can play in VR.

Also, this:

I've not tried it, but it looks interesting.
This recently had a 2 week demo. I installed it but forgot to try it. I'd say wishlist ot and see if they do it again.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

I have tje following from your lust.

Half-Life: Alyx. Beautiful game.

I Expect You to Die. Very fun! I have all 3 and I'm halfway through 2. Very useful for my brain but I did have to look ip some solutions before I got too frustrated. Less brain damaged people might have an easier time of ot.

Hot Dogs, Horseshoes, and Hand Grenades (H3VR) - have it, but haven't played it yet

Arizona Sunshine - liked it but never finished but thats also normal for a lot of my games.

Blade & Sorcery - love this! The tons of mods teally make it stand out. I'd say this is a MUST have game. Where else can you be Batman fighting off Stormtroopers?

The Talos Principle VR - on my wishlist.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Jaddison wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:55 am Question to you all who have or are deep in the VR waters. Are there any games you have played that you would say make VR a must have? Games where you say to yourself I am so glad I did get a VR headset so I didn't miss this? I am trying to figure out if I would use a Quest 3 enough to justify the cost.
As Blackhawk said, there are too many to say for sure, but Blade & Sorcery is a definite must have. Even without the improvements they've been making mod support alone makes this stand above a lot of other games and gives you massive replay options.

Edit. Boneworks and Bonelabs are also great!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

My personal favorite is Into The Radius. I've got over 200 hours into it. I've played it through at least 4 times. Unfortunately, it seems like the last update caused some issues. I didn't experience the performance issues.... because I didn't play it. I was in the middle of a modded run, and the mods didn't work in it. So I have it running the previous build.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Punisher wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:46 pm I have tje following from your lust.
:oops: :naughty: :angelic-sunshine:

:think:

:romance-kisscheek:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

TheMix wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:26 pm My personal favorite is Into The Radius. I've got over 200 hours into it.
As summoned. ;)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've been reading up on the state of Quest 3. Here are a couple of tidbits:

You'll absolutely want to replace the strap (the part that holds it to your head), and probably the interface (the squishy part that goes around your eyes.) The Meta strap is supposed to be better than the Q2 strap, but that's not saying much. It holds everything together by squeezing it to your skull. The ones I'm seeing recommended a lot are the Bobo M3 (which has a built-in swappable battery, but see below and hold off) and the Kiwi. I use a Kiwi on my Q2, and love it.

The interface on the Q3 apparently doesn't account for the nose, and leaks a ton of light. For the interface, I am seeing good things about the AMVR 3-in-1, which includes both a pleather (for gaming/etc) and a cloth (for sweating) interface, which are velcroed in so they can be swapped. It also allows in-out adjustment for glasses wearers.

You'll probably want grips, too, to strap the things to your hands so that you don't have to 'squeeze' them all the time. They make a huge difference. Again, AMVR make the best.

Now, the caveat - the Q3 eats batteries. The built-in battery is only good for between 45 minutes and two hours, depending on what you do with it (and gaming pushes it toward the lower end.) Most users add some sort of external battery. Some use battery straps (like the Bobo M3 I linked above), others use a longer-lasting but heavier external battery pack. For the Quest 2, I used an Anker battery pack along with a Kiwi battery holder. With the Q2 version of the Kiwi strap (similar to the one in the first paragraph), I actually strapped the battery up on the top of the rear head pad, which kept it off of the very back. I like the battery on the back that way - it counterbalances the headset itself. The difference on the Quest 2 was between ~2 hours with the internal batter and 12+ with the pack.

Anyway, the caveat: The community is still figuring out the Quest 3 battery situation. The Q3 creates a huge draw, enough so that most charging packs can't keep up. They can still feed the battery while you use it (slowing down the discharge significantly), but they're not able to keep it from running down under load the way the Q2 did (with my Anker/Q2, I would still be at 100% after six or eight hours. They're still figuring out what's required. Some theories:

The Quest 3 draws about somewhere between 18 and 27 watts while playing under load (multiple sources have tested it at 27). Most chargers (like the one I linked to) put out less than that. It's also been theorized that the charging port maxes out at 19W. it so, that'll mean that it's impossible to feed it as fast as it's guzzling juice, but I don't know if that's been confirmed. People are still figuring this stuff out, and Meta won't answer (they want you to buy their Elite Strap, which has serious issues, isn't great to begin with, and costs an obscene $130.

Because of all of this, I'd avoid dumping big money on a battery solution right now. Even the Bobo M3 battery strap (which is supposed to be great) only slows down the discharge - making the impressive feature of swapping the battery out on the fly (it's magnetic) irrelevant.) For now, I'd suggest getting an affordable charge pack that is PD (USB Power Delivery) compatible with at least 20 watts output (30 if possible), and waiting to get a high-end solution until the community figures out what that actually means. Oh, and make sure that the cable you get is actually rated rated for charging at high wattages (Note - this cable is one foot, for those who mount their battery pack on their strap.) Most USB cables can't transfer power fast enough, especially if they're a data vs a charging cable.
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

Thanks Blackhawk for all the info! :)
I did not know ther were so many like beat saber. Supernatural
looks good but $228 a year sounds to much. What would be the best one time price like it?

Seems I will have to wait untill after Christmas to try VR. I ordered on the 10th from Amazon. Should have been here on the 20th. Then it showed as Delayed not shipped yet. Now it's saying the 29th. :evil:
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:12 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:55 am You have my attention. Just peeked at the song list, and... :shock:
I thought you might appreciate that one.
Picked this up today...it's brilliant. Absolutely what I was looking for, right down to the bands and songs.
Blackhawk wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:20 pm To be honest, the real answer to this question would be for me to slap a headset on you and give you thirty minutes. It's not the games that set it apart, it's the nature and quality of the experience. Visually and audibly, it's getting very close to the holodeck experience, and that's not intended as exaggeration.
It's very difficult to describe the difference between seeing videos of someone playing a VR game and actually playing it yourself.

I'd watched a ton of YouTube videos showing VR gameplay, and none of them swayed me towards buying one in the least. In fact, they mostly just turned me off because most VR games don't have the same graphics bells and whistles as AAA titles. Most of them look, frankly, quite silly.

When you slap on the headset and get the actual, tactile feeling of being in and interacting with that world though...I'm honestly not sure I've ever had a "wow" moment like that in all my years of gaming. My jaw was on the floor. It's truly unlike anything else I've ever experienced, and I've just barely scratched the surface. The only thing I can say is that you really need to try it for yourself. Maybe see if a local store has a demo unit or something that you can try.

In terms of apps that I've tried, Asgards Wrath 2 (came with the set) is incredible, Star Wars: Tales From the Galaxy's Edge has been a blast (probably less so if you're not already a big SW fan), Demeo is a fantastic tabletop board game experience, Beat Saber and Ragnarock are both fun rhythm games, and the built in Mixed Reality apps blew my mind (even if the actual gameplay is very simple).
Blackhawk wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:02 pm battery and headstrap stuff
I bought a Yoges Battery headstrap for $50 and tried it this morning. Seems to work really well. The padded top and back are way more comfortable, and I played for about 90 minutes with the battery pack only down to 50%. Based on the remaining battery + the headset's built-in one, I would guess I could play for 3-4 hours between the two. Which is probably far more than I'd want to do in a single sitting anyways.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

UsulofDoom wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:17 pm Thanks Blackhawk for all the info! :)
I did not know ther were so many like beat saber. Supernatural
looks good but $228 a year sounds to much. What would be the best one time price like it?
That's a pretty old price. I believe it's currently $9.99/month or $99 annually.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:19 pm In terms of apps that I've tried, Asgards Wrath 2 (came with the set) is incredible, Star Wars: Tales From the Galaxy's Edge has been a blast (probably less so if you're not already a big SW fan), Demeo is a fantastic tabletop board game experience, Beat Saber and Ragnarock are both fun rhythm games, and the built in Mixed Reality apps blew my mind (even if the actual gameplay is very simple).
I can add a vote to Tales from the Galaxy's Edge and a side vote for Asgard's Wrath (1). Last night I was mostly just doing Steam games, mostly because it was 3 AM when I finished. I'd have added Asgard's Wrath, Galaxy's Edge, Lone Echo, and, while it's an older game, I had a lot of fun with Robo Recall (which may still be free - if not, I'd wait for a sale, as it shows it's age in the locomotion system.)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

UsulofDoom wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:17 pm looks good but $228 a year sounds to much.
I found it. They hid it really, really well. It looks like there's a free trial, too.

What would be the best one time price like it?
I can't 'recommend' anything I haven't played, but I've heard good things about Les Mills Body Combat.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I really like Supernatural. The cost has been worth it for me.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm planning on getting back into my workout routine after the holidays (it's been over a year - depression is a bitch!). Supernatural was absolutely the best that I ever used, followed by Audio Trip.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Maybe it's just me, but sweating profusely into a VR headset every day just sounds gross.

I think I'll stick to morning jogs for my workouts.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:30 pm Maybe it's just me, but sweating profusely into a VR headset every day just sounds gross.

I think I'll stick to morning jogs for my workouts.
Most people swap out the regular silicone/pleather interface (the part that touched your face) for a cloth one, then back when they're done to keep it clean. And since most headstraps are padded pleather - not absorbent cloth - they don't develop ick/odors. Not that there's anything wrong with jogging or something else instead - but for those looking for a workout that involves focusing on an entertaining activity and getting a workout vs working out and trying to keep interested, VR is a great option.

I didn't bring this up earlier (although I should have), but I recommend adding an adjustable box fan to your VR area (and I'm not just talking workouts.) Put it on the floor a few feet in front of you and point it slightly upward so that it blows against your head from below. It serves several purposes:

~It gives you a sense of direction. In VR, you're basically wearing earplugs and a blindfold in regards to the real world. Having a fan gives you a distinct 'forwards' to help you keep oriented.
~It reduces fogging (when the lenses in the headset fog up.)
~If you are working out, you can crank it up and help keep cool.

It's also a good idea to use a mat of some sort. The simplest version is to grab a door mat. Something low to the ground so you don't trip over it. You place it in the center of your area, and you can feel where you are with your feet as you play, always knowing if you've strayed too far. It keeps you from thinking that you're still centered while you have, in fact, moved over in front of the TV that you're about to punch. You can also invest in a VR mat (just search for that phrase), like the one I have:

It's soft (but firm) rubber, a little like an anti-fatigue mat. It gives you the padding you need to drop down to a knee without busting your kneecaps, it provides a good surface for your feet. It's a little slick at first, but once it's broken in gives good traction, at least with bare feet (and my martial arts background makes me drawn toward the control you get with bare feet on a rubber mat.) The main thing, though, is the raised design on the top. It's the same rubber, but it's raised enough that you can always tell exactly where you are and which way you're facing, as you can feel it with your feet.

The mat plus the fan guarantees that you always know exactly where you are in the room, which way you're facing, that you have a good grip on the floor, and that you have a safe surface underneath you.

One more VR trick: They make special VR lamps for when the room needs to be dark, but all you need is infrared light (the headset, at least on the Q2, can actually be used as a night-vision device.) Just get a cheap infrared light made to light areas in IR for security cameras, point it anywhere, and you can VR all night in a pitch-black room. It's good if you are, say, VRing in a room with someone who is reading or watching TV and doesn't want bright lights, or if you're kicking back in the recliner and watching a film.

I mentioned it earlier, but seriously - get Bigscreen or Skybox and try watching a video file in VR. It's far more impressive than it sounds, and all of the big players let you stream video over a network. So if you've got, say, ripped BluRays/DVDs, give it a whirl. It's like sitting in a full-sized movie theater. The screen really is that big. And since you're not moving, you can swap the earbuds out for a full set of headphones.

And don't underestimate YouTube VR. Search for VR180 videos and give it ten minutes to convince you.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

We broke down and got the kids the Quest 3 for their big Christmas present. This is the first year where Santa isn't a thing, and they really didn't ask for much outside of clothes and decorations for their rooms.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

YellowKing wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:15 am We broke down and got the kids the Quest 3 for their big Christmas present. This is the first year where Santa isn't a thing, and they really didn't ask for much outside of clothes and decorations for their rooms.
You may want to bust it open and set up all the accounts before Christmas morning. Took me about an hour to set everything up, download a couple games, etc. It also had almost no charge at all out of the box, and took a couple hours to charge before using the first time
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Thanks for the tips, Skiny, I'll definitely do that. I've also created a massive every-room-in-the-house treasure hunt they'll have to solve to find it. :csmile:
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Another tip. Setup room scale ahead of time. Depending on whats in the room this can take a while to map everything out.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Was all excited to show my brother the headset, but he got motion sickness after 15 mins when playing the Star Wars game. He felt absolutely terrible the rest of the night.

He can play Beat Saber, but anything with movement makes him really queasy. He was SO disappointed. :(
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:50 am Was all excited to show my brother the headset, but he got motion sickness after 15 mins when playing the Star Wars game. He felt absolutely terrible the rest of the night.

He can play Beat Saber, but anything with movement makes him really queasy. He was SO disappointed. :(
Still waiting for mine. Was planning on starting by sitting down 1st before standing. Just to make sure I adapt ok.

Did you start him off sitting before standing? May be get him to try AR so he has a real reference.

My brother that is a avid sailor got very bad motion sickness on the Epcot guardians of the galaxy ride. He had a head ache for at least four days. It's a 2 G ride. I felt like the president in Ford vs Ferrari movie. I loved it, then did the Chevy test drive ride. My brother was still recuperating.

Does he do pc gaming? My brother does not so that could be a factor.
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:50 am Was all excited to show my brother the headset, but he got motion sickness after 15 mins when playing the Star Wars game. He felt absolutely terrible the rest of the night.
That's pretty much me after playing almost every VR game (except, maybe, Half-Life Alyx, because the graphics are so sharp, it probably tricks the eye better). Sitting, standing, doesn't matter. I've been meaning to load up on Dramamine and try playing again but never got around to it.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I tried the Quest 3 and....meh. I know spec-wise it's much better than the Quest 1, and the headset itself is much more comfortable, but it wasn't the massive leap forward I envisioned.

I also got a massive headache after using it for about 15 minutes, so I may just be too old for this crap.

The kids absolutely love it though, so I guess that's all that matters.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

UsulofDoom wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:20 am

Still waiting for mine. Was planning on starting by sitting down 1st before standing. Just to make sure I adapt ok.

Did you start him off sitting before standing? May be get him to try AR so he has a real reference.

My brother that is a avid sailor got very bad motion sickness on the Epcot guardians of the galaxy ride. He had a head ache for at least four days. It's a 2 G ride. I felt like the president in Ford vs Ferrari movie. I loved it, then did the Chevy test drive ride. My brother was still recuperating.

Does he do pc gaming? My brother does not so that could be a factor.
He said that last time he played Skyrim he got a little queasy as well. Might just not be able to do first person games anymore. He was fine with Beat Saber and Ragnarok (both rhythm games).
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

RE: Motion sickness.
Most games have different methods of helping with this including tjings like.
Different locomotion settings. Things like smooth walk or teleporting.
Vision settings to increase and decrease a fog/cloud outline in your vision.
Plus some others i can't remember.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Re: Motion sickness. There's a way to approach this, and it's important to do it right the first time. Do it wrong, and let your brain associate VR with it, and it'll be much harder to avoid in the future.

Short version: VR is an approximation of portions of reality. It replicates visual input, it replicates sound, and it replicates a few other things (like propriocption with your hands.) But it doesn't replicate everything, and therein lies the rub. It can simulate motion, but it will not replicate the effects of physics on your body from motion. Your body, however, doesn't know how to handle that. You're putting your brain into a reality that doesn't quite mesh with the one you evolved to exist in, and there's a learning process for your brain to be able to handle it. Think about it that way - a process.

And this applies to everyone, not just those prone to motion sickness.

Essentially, you want to introduce these things to your brain in stages.

First the visual/auditory with zero motion (stationary games, where neither you, nor your environment move (games like Beat Saber move the environment around you.)
Second, orientation by playing games with teleportation movement (you point to a spot and appear there rather than 'walking' there, so there's no actual movement)
Finally by light movement.

Each of these should involve enough time for adjustment, ideally a couple of days at each stage, and it's best to let your brain sleep on it at least once, but push at whatever pace you like. I'm quoting a full post on it from a couple of years ago with suggestions. I'll try to update once I get the chance to see what's available on my new Christmas Quest 3 (!)

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:48 pm A bit of extra advice: Getting used to VR is like getting used to being at sea. You're in a situation where your brain has to learn a new reality. Your eyes are seeing depth in a new way. Positioning and sound are working differently. You're seeing motion - and your brain thinks you're moving - but there is no feedback from physics. So you accelerate, and you compensate by leaning forward, but your body wasn't really accelerating, so you're leaning into nothing (and hopefully don't end up face-down.) I almost did this the first time I tried walking in a VR game and started going up a hill - I leaned to compensate for the angle and almost fell. Flip upside down in a game, hang from the ceiling, and... gravity is still pulling toward your feet. Are you upside down? Is gravity upside down? You know, but your brain has no honking idea.

You really do want to get your VR legs the right way. Get yourself too disoriented or sick the first time, and your chances of having to deal with it repeatedly go up dramatically.

Do NOT start off with: Roller coasters, flight, driving, or even freely walking around.
Here are some starting places. Give this a day or two, that's all you need. And do the trick with the fan - put one 'in front' of you blowing on you to give you a real-world reference. A floor mat you can feel helps, too. And don't forget to take breaks while you're getting the hang of it.

1. The Quest 2 comes with a tutorial called 'First Steps.' Do that.
2. Go to the Quest 2 store and install 'First Contact.' It's free. Do that.
3. Have some seated or stationary standing experiences. Try An Introduction to Virtual Reality. It's free. It is on the Rift, so you'll need to run it with the Oculus app on your PC and plug in (or give AirLink/Virtual Desktop a try and see how it works for you - it's worth a shot.) Felix and Paul Studios is free (and Traveling While Black is a must!) Watch Invasion. You'll want to stand for this one, and it's free.

Seriously, you can do everything up there in an hour or so.

Game time!
1. Go get The Lab on Steam. It's (you guessed it) free. I has a variety of games, and it is, frankly, an amazing product. All are standing (not moving) games, so it's a great place to get used to your controllers and interacting with things.
2. Elixir is free, and it'll give you a chance to try out hand tracking.

Now you're on your own. Try some games where you're stationary and things come to you (Beat Saber and Audio Trip are in this category) Then try some games that allow free locomotion*, but I'd put off anything involving speed, spinning, parkour, flying, or similar for a week or two. When you take off the HMD and your arms seem normal instead of in the wrong place, and when your dreams return to normal you'll know your brain has adapted.

*There are a few things you'll find in VR games that are 'comfort' settings intended to keep people from getting sick. The first is locomotion (and the terms from game to game vary a little.) The 'comfort' option is teleportation. You point a controller, hit a button, and you're there. The non-comfort equivalent is free motion, where you push the stick and slide along like in any other game. The second is turning. The 'comfort' option is snap turning, where pushing the stick to turn snaps you in (usually) 45-degree increments. The non-comfort version is smooth turning, which just turns you. The "Not worried about wires" version is just ignoring the stick and turning your body. The other comfort setting is a mask, a kind of heavy vignette that shrinks your field of view down to a tiny are while you're moving. Most modern VR games let you adjust these individually, tweaking or disabling them depending on your needs.

I'm very lucky - I have zero motion sickness issues and can turn everything off and get flipped around with no issues, but a lot of people need some degree comfort settings. But going through the steps above is key to giving yourself the best experience in the long run.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Things are still settling down from the holidays, but I was able to spend some quality time with my Quest 3. A few quick observations:

~The resolution increase is noticeable. I figured that it would just be a minor bump over the Q2, but it looks noticeably better.

~The AR/Passthrough mode is fantastic. The Quest 2's passthrough was OK for finding your way across a room, but it looked like an 80s security camera feed.

~Not having halos on the controllers is pretty great. I haven't tried H3VR (Hotdogs, Horseshoes, and Hand Grenades), but I expect that it will make a big difference without the rings getting in the way.

~I've ordered a few accessories, so I should be able to comment on those soon.

~PCVR via Virtual Desktop still works just as well as ever, and it now has a built-in passthrough option with customizable passthrough color. That should allow a lot more games to be played in AR, as a simple mod to set the background color would serve to allow it.

~The OS seems snappier, but some of that could also have been the age of the headset.

~The bastards reversed the sides that the audio jack and power jack are on. The problem is that some VR accessories were built off of the old placement - my preferred brand of earbuds, for instance, have one cord that's only a few inches long, as the jack is right next to your ear. Now it's on the opposite side of the headset - meaning that the wrong earbud has the short cord. And, as luck would have it, my other earbud model has apparently been retired. Now I have to experiment and hope for the best.
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

Mine finally came in on Thursday. One thing is the Zenni lenses came in too!

Wow you can really lose yourself in an another world in your living room.

Been using it in short periods to get used to it. Did get a little vertigo on the ISS space demo. Floating around the capsule was fun till then.

Any promo codes for meta?

Does anyone have the full game of SuperHot? I did like the demo. it's $15 on meta. Is it worth it?

Any one get a golf ,pool and or table tennis game? Did it improve your playing in real life? What ones did you get?

Anyone playing Breachers? Among US VR?

We can do this.
You can refer an app to a friend by generating a referral link on Meta Quest. You must log into your headset using your Meta account to send a referral link.
Once your friend purchases and activates the app, you will receive $5 USD (or equivalent regional currency) in Meta Quest Store Credit.
To send a referral link from the Meta Quest mobile app:
1. Open the Meta Quest mobile app on your phone
2. Tap Menu, then tap [blue diamond icon] Refer a friend and earn rewards.
3. Tap App Referrals to see the apps eligible for app referral.
Apps not eligible for referral:
• Any app under 10$ USD.
• Any app that is refunded within 14 days.
• Add-ons, extensions and in-app purchases.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Ugh, Sony has apparently discontinued my go-to earbuds, the Sony MDRXB55AP, which I use for everything where a wireless earbud isn't ideal. They've gone from under $30 to $80 in the past few months. And the one set I've found under $50 that was of comparable quality is a VR set made by Logitech that I use on my Quest 2. Unfortunately, since Meta decided to change which side of the headset the audio plug is on, they won't work anymore, as they were designed with one earbud on a much shorter wire than the other, as that side only needed to go a few inches from the plug to your ear. With the plug on the opposite side, they won't reach on the Q3.

The first attempt at earbuds for the Q3 I returned - they sound like crap, and they don't fit much better, despite great ratings and reviews.

It's surprisingly hard to find good recommendations for budget wired earbuds these days. The market is almost entirely about Bluetooth now (which suck for gaming due to Bluetooth's natural latency), and the only people talking about wired are the hardcore audiophiles - who think that 'budget' starts at $150.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:22 pm Ugh, Sony has apparently discontinued my go-to earbuds, the Sony MDRXB55AP, which I use for everything where a wireless earbud isn't ideal. They've gone from under $30 to $80 in the past few months. And the one set I've found under $50 that was of comparable quality is a VR set made by Logitech that I use on my Quest 2. Unfortunately, since Meta decided to change which side of the headset the audio plug is on, they won't work anymore, as they were designed with one earbud on a much shorter wire than the other, as that side only needed to go a few inches from the plug to your ear. With the plug on the opposite side, they won't reach on the Q3.

The first attempt at earbuds for the Q3 I returned - they sound like crap, and they don't fit much better, despite great ratings and reviews.

It's surprisingly hard to find good recommendations for budget wired earbuds these days. The market is almost entirely about Bluetooth now (which suck for gaming due to Bluetooth's natural latency), and the only people talking about wired are the hardcore audiophiles - who think that 'budget' starts at $150.
Enlarge Image

FWIW, if you're seeking a decent pair of budget-priced wired IEMs that won't break the bank, Linsoul 7Hz Salnotes Zero IEMs with an upgraded Tripowin Zonie detachable cable -- available from Amazon for around $38.68 -- provide great bang for your buck. If that's too pricey, you can instead purchase the 7Hz Salnotes Zero IEMs alone, sans upgraded cable for around $20 from Amazon after applying a coupon (caveat emptor, though; the included default cable is quite naff in comparison).

Enlarge Image

If you can afford to stretch your budget a wee bit more, Truthear X Crinacle Zero IEMs provide superior imaging, making it very easy to distinguish sounds like footsteps and far away gunshots even while you have an abundance of action going on. They're available from Amazon for $49.99 in purple or $54.99 in red. For well under $100, they're a terrific bargain for wired IEMs specifically intended for gaming.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke