Fast Food Foofaraw

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Re: Fast Food Foofaraw

Post by Blackhawk »

hentzau wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:05 pm Apropos of nothing, on the rare occasions that I go to Taco Bell and use the self serve kiosk I always use the name of a member of the Justice League for my name. Today I was Barry A. Last time I was Hal J.
"Funny, you don't look like a Diana P."
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Why do I keep clicking this thread? The extent of my fast food diet is Five Guys 4-5x per year. I only ever went to Taco Bell once and wasn't inspired to go back. I'm not being a snob about it, it just doesn't fit into the life of a home-worker married to a vegetarian -- I never need food in a hurry, and when I go out it's not for cheap food.

Maybe I keep clicking this thread for vicarious enjoyment. I'm sure I'd enjoy fast food (except Arbys) if circumstances ever brought me into contact with it.

(Five Guys tangent in 3...2...)
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The internet tells me 5 Guys is pending extinction. The only one I ever went to has been converted to a Greek street food joint.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The internet tells me that was a twitter rumor. They did close a bunch of locations in TX. I can readily believe that the only fast food joint Wife and I both like would go tits-up, though. We have a long history of driving favorite restaurants out of business.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Never did go to the Greek street food place, but I'm certain I'd like it better than the charcoal briquettes served up at 5 Guys.

The other day, I noticed a Fuddrucker's hamburger joint I maybe went to once was closed. Maybe closed for a while, but their name is still all over the building. I once saw a comedian in a club near there who commented about the place. "Can you imagine being at the board of director's meeting when the name for the business was being discussed. If Fuddruckers was the winner, what in the world were the losers?" I thought it was a funny enough observation that it stuck with me a good 30 years maybe.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Wife and I went to 5 Guys one time. Meh. Nothing special and damn expensive.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The fast-food burgers that I can bring home before they go cold are McD's, BK, and 5 Guys. Wife won't consider the first two but likes the grilled cheese at 5 Guys. Therefore....

Fortunately there are a couple of real restaurants within hot-food driving distance that make a good takeout burger and also have Wife chow, so that's what I usually get. Southside Tavern is 3 minutes away and makes a very good bacon cheeseburger, but with tax and tip it's like $18-ish. 5 Guys is just the cheap-and-quick option.

We're still dining indoors for now, but I'm pretty sure Delta's going to make it another takeout fall/winter. Maybe I'll cajole Wife into trying an Impossible Whopper now that she's decided she likes Beyond meat. Opening up BK would double my fast-food options. :)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That seems to be the trend now. A new restaurant pops up, is wildly popular, business drops down to 'normal' maintenance levels, they close it, and then they open up the Next Big Thing. It's like they're looking at that two or three year rush to make all of their money, then they throw it away, reboot, and start the rush again.

It kind of sucks.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:00 pm The internet tells me 5 Guys is pending extinction. The only one I ever went to has been converted to a Greek street food joint.
Really? They've been opening up like crazy around here. They just opened one by my work during the pandemic. I almost should go back and give them a try. Last time I tried them $15 for a burger, fries, and Coke took them out of the running when I never paid more than $5 for a fast food lunch. Nowadays, $15 isn't that far out of lunch cost range and could be a treat if I were so inclined. Of course, that probably means a burger, fries, and Coke are now $20 and would take them back out of range again, especially as I am tightening my belt (financially, not healthwise yet) and picking the exact wrong time to do so.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:00 pm The internet tells me 5 Guys is pending extinction.
*Citation needed.
Hodor.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:13 am That seems to be the trend now. A new restaurant pops up, is wildly popular, business drops down to 'normal' maintenance levels, they close it, and then they open up the Next Big Thing. It's like they're looking at that two or three year rush to make all of their money, then they throw it away, reboot, and start the rush again.

It kind of sucks.
Yeah, it does, particularly for those that open up long after the trend has been at its peak, like the one in my city. Kind of creates a sort of whiplash effect. Some curious might check it out, but the amount of traffic it receives will never be at the level it was at its most popular, and yet owners are still there chasing the dream as if it were. I find that kind of sad. Kind of like chasing something on a treadmill, ie chasing a trend that no longer is really there. Everytime we drive by ours, I hardly ever see any cars there. It looks and feels so empty and I always wonder how long it has left.
LordMortis wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:24 am Really? They've been opening up like crazy around here.
Which is usually a sign. 90% of franchise closures are a result of rapid expansion. It's a familiar tale among retail.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Rumpy wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:43 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:13 am That seems to be the trend now. A new restaurant pops up, is wildly popular, business drops down to 'normal' maintenance levels, they close it, and then they open up the Next Big Thing. It's like they're looking at that two or three year rush to make all of their money, then they throw it away, reboot, and start the rush again.

It kind of sucks.
Yeah, it does, particularly for those that open up long after the trend has been at its peak, like the one in my city. Kind of creates a sort of whiplash effect. Some curious might check it out, but the amount of traffic it receives will never be at the level it was at its most popular, and yet owners are still there chasing the dream as if it were. I find that kind of sad. Kind of like chasing something on a treadmill, ie chasing a trend that no longer is really there. Everytime we drive by ours, I hardly ever see any cars there. It looks and feels so empty and I always wonder how long it has left.
LordMortis wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:24 am Really? They've been opening up like crazy around here.
Which is usually a sign. 90% of franchise closures are a result of rapid expansion. It's a familiar tale among retail.
So you're going to believe an uncited JeffV rumor that Five Guys is pending extinction when they just expanded into yet another country (Australia) this year?
Hodor.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

No, I'd already checked and discounted that one, but the trend still remains.

Every time I find something I enjoy, it vanishes (mostly because I'm not willing to stand in the lines and eat in a packed room just to try the new hotness every couple of months - I wait until they settle down.)
stessier

Post by stessier »

Yeah, internet searches turn up rumors, but as it is a private company, there are no facts that it is in trouble. Given that most stores are franchises and we are in a pandemic, it is easy to see how certain owners ran into trouble and had to close. But there's not indication the whole things is going under.

FWIW, the three by me have a line seemingly every time I go by.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:59 pm

It kind of sucks.
So you're going to believe an uncited JeffV rumor that Five Guys is pending extinction when they just expanded into yet another country (Australia) this year?
No, I don't have to believe JeffV to know that rapid expansion is a recipe for failure. And when trends warm, it's something that becomes even riskier.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Holman

Post by Holman »

Not trying to be a snob, but I just don't go to traditional fast-food joints because I have so many other nearby choices, some of them only a couple of bucks more than McD or BK.

The exception is Dunkin Donuts, which I'll occasionally hit for breakfast because it's a drive-thru right on the way to work.

I've got excellent small-business pizza-by-the-slice ($3), hoagie/sub sandwich ($6), classic diner food ($8), and craft burger ($9) joints within just a block or two of my house. There's a Wendy's in there too, but I hate them because they demolished a beautiful old Victorian to build their spot.

Plus I'm in PA, so I have Wawa everywhere I go.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Rumpy wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:50 pm

It kind of sucks.
No, I don't have to believe JeffV to know that rapid expansion is a recipe for failure. And when trends warm, it's something that becomes even riskier.
Five Guys has been expanding since 2003.
Hodor.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:00 am
Jeff V wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:00 pm The internet tells me 5 Guys is pending extinction.
*Citation needed.
ref: the Internet. Comes up regularly on FB in those "These popular chains are going extinct in 2021." I did not say it was true, I just provided an anecdote that the only one of these dreadful places I went to is, in fact, no more and will not be missed.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Jeff V wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:09 pm
pr0ner wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:00 am
*Citation needed.
ref: the Internet. Comes up regularly on FB in those "These popular chains are going extinct in 2021." I did not say it was true, I just provided an anecdote that the only one of these dreadful places I went to is, in fact, no more and will not be missed.
So your citation is a clickbait article. Got it.
Hodor.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:48 pm

It kind of sucks.
And the bubble has to burst eventually. Keyword eventually.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

On a long enough timeline, we’re all dead anyway.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:24 am
pr0ner wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:48 pm

It kind of sucks.
And the bubble has to burst eventually. Keyword eventually.
Not necessarily. It's just another pyramid scheme if a company relies on juicing cashflow and loses sight of profitability. If it's tending to the latter, it will become a boring mature business when expansion reaches saturation. And if it's buying all those properties that it's opening, then it's got a real estate empire. That's not common in the restaurant biz, but did you ever wonder why banks keep opening new branches when nobody banks in person anymore?
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Sudy wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:29 pm They still have the chili cheese burrito here. But they got rid of Mexican pizza just after I realized I liked it. I also really miss the spicy chicken soft shell taco.

Also... the Meximelt. :cry:
I create my own meximelt by getting the cheesy rollup and add pico and beef. I have not been to TB in about 2 years. They also got rid of several of the items I ordered and their bean burrito is nowhere as good as they used to be. There beans often taste burnt and the ingredients are skimpy. If I crave a bean burrito I go to a locally owned place called Bandito Burrito, they have by far the best refried beans I have ever tasted and they won't divulge their secret, I've asked.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Alefroth wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:44 pm
Daehawk wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:57 pm
Remember the old old original enchirido served in the metal pan?
Enlarge Image
Yep, that's the one I was so fond of. It's been gone a long time I think. Of course they never looked quite like that.
always was one of my favs, for years you could still order it even though it was not on the menu but they stopped that about 2 or 3 years ago. I wonder if the tostado still exists. I like those also.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I eat TB far more than any other FF restaurant and far more than I should. Probably a dozen times a year or more. Usually in fits where I eat there like 3 times in a month due circumstance or laziness. I find that their quality control, including preparation and quantity of ingredient in an item is both store and employee dependent. I have 6 TBs within 2 miles of my house in any direction and one freshly opened within a 1/4 mile of my work, more than any other fast food joint, so I will definitely be turned off to a specific TB when quality control goes down. The one I used to frequent almost exclusively is now one I haven't been to in over a year. I have no idea if other people do as I do and it effects change or not. It also doesn't matter. I do me.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:35 am On a long enough timeline, we’re all dead anyway.
I heard they were down to Four Guys but were trying to keep it secret in a kind of Weekend at Bernie's situation.

Definitely a health-code violation somewhere in there.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
telcta

Post by telcta »

I have a Panera within walking distance so I signed up for the unlimited coffee program. It’s free for 3 months then $9/mo. Their food is decent but seems lacking sometimes. It’s $12 for the steak and cheddar sandwich and sometimes I’ll just get a bagel with the coffee and sit and work on the laptop.

Other than that, I rarely hit fast food places but I’m starting to try a few with T-Mobiles Tuesday deals. Some weeks there are pretty good free food offers.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I love their pinwheel danish. They make a good Panini but it is expensive. If I had one within walking distance with unlimited coffee for $9 a month I'd sign up for it as well. I probably pay around $9 a month to brew my Folger's at home and I could use an excuse to walk more.
telcta

Post by telcta »

I feel good knowing I’m walking almost two miles but that quickly goes out the window if I order the cinnamon roll.

Their coffee is really good plus I can grab iced coffee. I was surprised you can go back for more after a couple hours which I did once when I stopped at another Panera later in the day.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Panera is actually a fast food joint I like. Since the post spoilers on all of their food (calorie counts), I almost always wind up walking out with just a sesame bagel and low-fat cream cheese. Occasionally (like once every 3 years or so) I'll go there for lunch and have a panini or salad. I was disappointed when they discontinued their sesame-semolina baguettes, I used to buy them all the time, had them slice them into medallions, which I would then have with either my legendary smoked salmon (or trout) spread or taramosalata (fish egg spread).
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Takeout
McDonald’s is one of the few places where I don’t mess with the menu, but next week the chain is adding four new “hacked” items that you can order, reports Restaurant Business Online.
Starting with breakfast, you’ll be able to order a Hash Brown McMuffin, which is just a sausage and egg McMuffin with a hash brown added to it.
Another new combination is a double cheeseburger that has Chicken McNuggets added to it, along with some barbecue sauce, called the Crunchy Double. The Surf and Turf will be a double cheeseburger with a Filet-o-Fish built into it (this sounds kind of gnarly to me, and not in a good way). The Surf and Turf will only be available through delivery or the mobile app for some reason.

But the pièce de résistance, my friends, is the Land, Air, & Sea sandwich. This (really) bad boy combines a Big Mac, a McChicken, and a Filet-o-Fish, with all the regular toppings to a Big Mac.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

The hash brown McMuffin sounds appealing to me (since it's decently similar to a Taco Bell breakfast crunchwrap). The Crunchy Double also seems interesting. The others? Pass.
Hodor.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

We finally got a Popeye's in town. Not sure when I'll get a chance to try it. It took over the property of a closed Burger King that had sat neglected for over 15 years.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I've never been on board with potatoes as a sandwich ingredient. That's too many carbs in one place, man! Burritos with fried potatoes inside? Spaghetti sandwiches? My wife putting French fries on her burger? What's wrong with you people?!

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Speaking of fast food, I took the Arby's Diablo Dare. I was not impressed. It was the spiciest fast food I have ever had, which basically means I could tell they wanted it to be spicy. It was actually pretty tasty, the flavor being mostly the barbecue sauce.
Arby’s has released a new limited-time-only item called the Diablo Dare Sandwich, which has five layers of spice added to it:

A Diablo BBQ sauce containing habanero, cayenne, chile, and chipotle pepper
Fiery seasoning, which includes cayenne, habanero, and capsicum powder (capsicum just means pepper)
Ghost pepper jack cheese featuring habanero, jalapeño, and ghost peppers
Fire-roasted jalapeños, which are... fire-roasted jalapeños
Diablo Bun, which is a red bun (so you know it’s serious) with chipotle pepper flakes
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:09 pm We finally got a Popeye's in town. Not sure when I'll get a chance to try it. It took over the property of a closed Burger King that had sat neglected for over 15 years.
Depending of course on individual restaurant quality, it's so much better than KFC. The chicken itself, the tenders with the blackened ranch sauce... the new chicken sandwich really is amazing if you're into a giant hunk of juicy white meat. The shrimp and fish are so-so, but I still order them occasionally as there aren't a lot of options for fast food and cocktail sauce is delicious. Note that almost everything is spiced though, even the mild/base options.

The sides are less captivating. Mrs. Nym loves the macaroni & cheese but it's pretty bland. The red beans and rice are delightfully different, but I heard they're leaving the menu. The cajun fries are surprisingly good when hot! The biscuits are kinda dry, but that's just a biscuit thing. The desserts are OK.
Last edited by Sudy on Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My Arbys is terrible. It must be in their contract to leave the meat under a heat lamp for a couple weeks before serving. The one 10 miles down the road is actually nice and tasty.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Sudy wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:16 pm I've never been on board with potatoes as a sandwich ingredient. That's too many carbs in one place, man! Burritos with fried potatoes inside? Spaghetti sandwiches? My wife putting French fries on her burger? What's wrong with you people?!

Rally fries on a rally burger rock. Normal fries? Not for me. I could see making some chili pepper and cheese and hashbrowns, throwing on an egg and putting it between buttered toast or on a bagel. I've never tried it, but you wouldn't exactly have to twist my arm to get me to do so.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Here Rallys is Checkers. Same menu. Love the cheeseburger and fries.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:42 pm Here Rallys is Checkers. Same menu. Love the cheeseburger and fries.
Sorry they are mostly Checker's here too. :oops: I haven't seen Rally's in almost decade.