Fast Food Foofaraw

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

LordMortis

Re: Fast Food Foofaraw

Post by LordMortis »

gbasden wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:49 am
Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:45 pm Wendy’s Wants to Start Uber-like Surge Pricing in 2025
Wendy’s will start experimenting with surge pricing, much like Uber and Lyft, as the company rolls out digital menus to all its United States restaurants by 2025, according to the company’s February earnings call. Under the test, burgers, Frosties, and other menu items will have “dynamic prices,” costing more during times of increased demand.

“Beginning as early as 2025, we will begin testing more enhanced features like dynamic pricing,” said Wendy’s CEO Kirk Tanner on Feb. 15’s earnings call. “We are planning to invest approximately $20 million to roll out digital menu boards to all US company-operated restaurants by the end of 2025.”
That seems nonsensical? Surge pricing for Uber is theoretically to entice more drivers to handle the surge in demand. Are they going to be paying their workers more to get orders out faster? Going through the drive through would be especially irritating not knowing what the prices would be once I got to the board. I foresee fewer visits to Wendy's for me if they implement this.
My assumption is they have more part time help during peak times, which they've always striven to have, as all fast food joints do. It's BS. They make more money by more volume already and not being able to count on menu pricing would drive me away... Only I haven't actually had fast food in few years now and probably don't even belong in this thread any more. :oops: OTOH if they are passing the price increases into employee wages, that would be understandable. I'm doubting it. I can't find anything on proposed wage increases.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Wendy’s can go fuck itself. I’m not paying more to stand in line, and they’re not going to increase their employees. This is corporate testing the price elasticity of consumer demand to maximize profit.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
stessier

Post by stessier »

Zarathud wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:07 pm Wendy’s can go fuck itself. I’m not paying more to stand in line, and they’re not going to increase their employees. This is corporate testing the price elasticity of consumer demand to maximize profit.
Yeah, it's really dumb. It is rare Wendy's is the only game in town. There will likely be an increase in profit the first month until people figure it out and then I would imagine the bottom will fall out. Why would I ever go there not knowing how much the food will cost?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

If Wendy wants to do something smart she should get better french fries. Be a trend setter and give us sweet potato waffle fries just like those at Cody's Original Roadhouse. :wink: I love those!
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Does anyone remember when Armour first started making smoked flavor Vienna sausages?

I can remember as a little kid late 70's and as a young teen even early 80s that no one made flavored Vienna. It was all normal bland. Dad kept it stocked for me and him. I was only at dad's on the weekends then. We'd eat them at home and also take them fishing with us.

then one weekend I went to grab a can and it was smoked flavor. Wow its been my favorite and only purchase of Vienna since really. I know it must have been early 80s but trying to find that info online just results in when Vienna was first made. I want to know when Smoked flavor came about.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

As for Wendy's. if them and other FF places continue to increase prices much more there wont be any demand at all. Ive gave up Arbys because of it. ill give up Wendy's much easier.

As for fries I love or loved Arbys curly fries the most. Krystal has good fries. Some other local places. I liked BK fries but they always overcook them now. And Im not a fan of McD fries much at all these days. They are tiny and hollow or fry and hard. i cant eat that. I prefer a large softer fry now days.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Wendy's is already one of the more expensive options here. For a Burger alone, I forget which one it was (It was a limited time item), it was $13, and it wasn't a combo!
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ya no thnx :) We loved Wendys years ago..many years ago. My wife still liked them up to her death even for their frosties(her favorite thing in the world almost) , baked potato and their single jr burger.

I still only really like the single dave's burger there. The chili is ok. And a baked potato is still ok.

HERE is a site with Wendy's pricing

I used to have a site that listed ALL restaurants menu pricing but have lost it. There should be a law that makes places list pricing on their own menu. its SO helpful when deciding ahead of time what you want. Its listed when you use Doordash and such.

As for the digital menus I think they are neat but not super helpful. My eyes haven't let me read a counter menu in at least 15 years or more.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oh ya...another thing other than prices that had me stop going to Arbys....they used to always layer the roast beef on a slice or so at a time. It was true sliced beef right when you order with a deli slicer. Now days it seems they have the meat pre packed and shipped to them in a sized bundle for each size sandwich. its simply many slices, all round, thick, then stacked and folded over. And thats how they put it on your sandwich. I sucks bad. Nothing like fresh sliced thin and piled high like they were know for. More Subway type meat now.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:47 pm Oh ya...another thing other than prices that had me stop going to Arbys....they used to always layer the roast beef on a slice or so at a time. It was true sliced beef right when you order with a deli slicer. Now days it seems they have the meat pre packed and shipped to them in a sized bundle for each size sandwich. its simply many slices, all round, thick, then stacked and folded over. And thats how they put it on your sandwich. I sucks bad. Nothing like fresh sliced thin and piled high like they were know for. More Subway type meat now.
It is still sliced as each sandwich is made - you can watch them do it.

Thickness variation is likely due to using the end of the roast. There is no much left to push against the blade and get them thin, so they get thicker and don't flop as neatly onto the sandwich.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Maybe its just ours then. its always sucked. Well since the 80s or early 90s. We always disliked ours and went to the next town for Arbys ..well stopped if we were near it.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Perhaps the PR around Wendy's new model is just tragically bad.
Don’t call Wendy’s new pricing plan “surge pricing.”

In a blog post on Tuesday, the fast-food chain explained that its test of new menus with prices that change throughout the day is not meant to cost more for customers.

“This was misconstrued in some media reports as an intent to raise prices when demand is highest at our restaurants,” the company statement read. “Digital menuboards could allow us to change the menu offerings at different times of day and offer discounts and value offers to our customers more easily, particularly in the slower times of day.”

In an email to CNN, Wendy’s was more blunt: “Wendy’s will not implement surge pricing, which is the practice of raising prices when demand is highest. This was not a change in plans. It was never our plan to raise prices when customers are visiting us the most.”
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:31 pm Does anyone remember when Armour first started making smoked flavor Vienna sausages?

I know it must have been early 80s but trying to find that info online just results in when Vienna was first made. I want to know when Smoked flavor came about.
Courtesy of ChatGPT:
ChatGPT wrote: Unfortunately, it's difficult to pinpoint the exact date the smoked flavor of Vienna sausages was first launched in the U.S. Here's what we know:

1. Smoked Vienna sausages weren't always a distinct flavor:
  • Traditionally, Vienna sausages in the U.S. weren't smoked. They were simply smaller versions of pork wieners, cooked thoroughly, and often came in casings.
  • Smoking wasn't a defining characteristic until the 20th century, and even then, it wasn't always present.
2. Challenges in pinpointing the date:
  • Several brands offer Vienna sausages, making it hard to track the introduction specifically by one brand.
  • The term "smoked" might not have been explicitly used initially, possibly appearing as part of a broader description like "smoked and cooked."
  • Archival records from relevant brands might be needed, and those might not pinpoint an exact date.
3. Clues and estimates:
  • Armour Star, a popular Vienna sausage brand, currently offers a "Smoked" flavor as part of its product line, but doesn't mention its historical introduction date.
  • Wikipedia mentions Vienna sausages evolving in North America around 1903, but smoking might have been introduced later.
  • Based on available information, it's safe to say that smoked Vienna sausages likely appeared in the U.S. sometime in the mid-20th century, possibly between the 1940s and 1960s.
4. Further research options:
  • If you're deeply interested in this topic, you could try contacting major Vienna sausage brands directly, inquiring about the historical introduction of their smoked varieties.
  • Researching historical food publications or advertisements might offer clues about when smoked Vienna sausages were first prominently marketed.
While I can't provide a specific date, I hope this information helps you understand the context and timeframe around the introduction of smoked Vienna sausages in the U.S.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Yep thats about the same info I found..nothing. Shame.

As for Wendys. With this new surge pricing and digital menus how exactly are they going to have phone app ordering? If I was ordering from Wendys Id want the app to reflect up to the minute pricing too so Id know what Id be paying? If i cant tell a price I just dont order..and this goes for everything.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:36 pm As for Wendys. With this new surge pricing and digital menus how exactly are they going to have phone app ordering? If I was ordering from Wendys Id want the app to reflect up to the minute pricing too so Id know what Id be paying? If i cant tell a price I just dont order..and this goes for everything.
I would think that an app is an ideal vehicle for real-time updates.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:36 pm Yep thats about the same info I found..nothing. Shame.
Have you even reached out to major Vienna sausage producers?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Alefroth wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:02 am
Daehawk wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:36 pm Yep thats about the same info I found..nothing. Shame.
Have you even reached out to major Vienna sausage producers?
only insofar as the can to get then out and eat.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Was in a really really foul mood yesterday, so I made some Shake & Bake BBQ Chicken legs to boost my spirits. Hadn't had some of it in almost 50 years. I was instantly transported, in my mind, to a picnic table used as a dining room table in my mom & dad's cute little house in Tallahassee circa 1975. Hot my chicken wasn't as good as mom's :wub: , but cold I thought it pretty much matched hers. Her chicken might have had the edge over mine because she used thighs which are the best medium for that Shake & Bake BBQ
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im 55 years old and dont think Ive ever had Shake & Bake. I know of it. In the 70s and part of the 80s it was heavily advertised on TV.

Think Ill add thighs and S&B to my to get list for next time. And some stuff to make homemade meatballs.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I think I've had it once or twice when I was younger, but I don't remember seeing it on store shelves here recently.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

IDK if I ever had Shake'n'Bake. My mom was a very good cook, but her generation was all about convenience (because her mother's generation didn't have any convenience foods). So, maybe. It's the kind of shortcut she liked, if it was good.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I looked online at Walmart. Seems a little expensive for a baggy and some seasoned bread like crumb coating at $4.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:21 pm I looked online at Walmart. Seems a little expensive for a baggy and some seasoned bread like crumb coating at $4.
It is a little pricy(now). I think I've had this pack of two sitting around two years, and it was more like $2.78 way back then. One pack did 8 decent size legs for me, and I have the second pack along with the other half of the pack of legs frozen for another day. If you do get the Shake & Bake BBQ glaze, I went with what I guessed would have been my mother's cooking time which was almost double what it called for under standard prep on the box side. I cooked them 1 hour fifteen minutes at 325 degrees. and then 425 degrees for a final 15 minutes to try and crisp up the skin. Definitely want chicken with skin. skinless would defeat the entire purpose. You might even cook it just a little longer if you want it fall off the bone for your teeth, mine wasn't quite fall off the bone(I've luckily got teeth still not that I do a great job taking care of them). I think my yellow tetracycline teeth are almost impervious. :lol:

Walmart has their own Great Value version on there cheaper https://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value- ... om=/search , but I've never tried theirs. We didn't have Walmart back in 1975 where I was. Walmart's version is a crumb, while the Shake & Bake that I like is more of a glaze.
Last edited by em2nought on Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’ve been frequenting a Balkan grocery store and deli I found on my way home from work recently. They have an immense meat section from Czechoslovakia, Poland and other European areas. And they always prompt me to try something new each time I come in for the usual lunch meat selection. I always end up waking away with a half pound of something new to me because of this.

Until last week…

You see, I discovered smoked Danish bacon, and I took home a pound. I think it’s my new favorite snacking food. :wub:

And tonight, I found out they have two different varieties of this delicacy. I believe it’s a Polish variety called Gypsy bacon.
Last edited by hepcat on Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

That looks tasty. I thought we aren't allowed to say "Gypsy" anymore, but apparently bacon didn't get the word.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I honestly forgot that gypsy is considered a derogatory statement in many areas. I wonder if because it’s an old name, they just “allow it”.
He won. Period.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Are they supposed to be called Romani now? I've never heard anyone in this entire country refer to "Gypsy" in a derogatory manner, it must be more of a Europe thing. I was thinking of making a little Vardo instead of a tear drop trailer. :think: I've always found "Gypsy" to sound exotic in a good Stevie Nicks sort of way.

Enlarge Image

My favorite new snack is 1000 day aged gouda from Aldi. Kinda pricey, but not as bad a$ $ome from Publix. Just a little bite is all I need since it's so flavorful.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

When I was a kid we had a dog named Gypsy. It was just a word we liked. I guess I can see why Romani wouldn't like having dogs named after them though. :)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, it never crossed my mind that it could be seen as derogatory before. The first time I heard it could be used that way, was when I posted elsewhere using the word and a mod had told me it not to use it as it's derogatory. But in my mind, I've always associated them with wanderers. Not that it's a bad thing either, as all cultures have their thing.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

So back on topic, anybody know any good gypsy fast food places?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Cinderella says there's one over on Gypsy Road.....if you're coming home.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

PepsiCo to Replace Coca-Cola at Subway’s US Locations
Subway announced the new 10-year pact to serve PepsiCo products such as Mountain Dew sodas, Tropicana juices and Gatorade sports drinks on Tuesday.

Coca-Cola brands like Sprite, Fanta and Diet Coke will begin to disappear from the sandwich chain beginning in January 2025, and will take several months to replace across Subway’s network of franchisee-owned restaurants.
Subway is Coca-Cola’s largest US fountain account by number of locations, according to Beverage Digest. With about 20,000 stores, the sandwich shop is the country’s largest restaurant chain by number of locations, data compiled by restaurant research firm Technomic shows.
Subway said it’s also extending its existing agreement with Frito-Lay, PepsiCo’s snack-food unit, to provide chips and snacks at its restaurants through 2030. PepsiCo already provides beverages at Subway shops in several regions outside the US.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Diet Mountain Dew at Subway would get me to step foot in there a lot more often.
Hodor.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Subway: S o what do you want for a drink?
Me: A coke
Subway: we only have Pepsi here
Me: So uhh ya
Subway: So is Pepsi ok?
Me: Thats what I ordered aint it?
Subway" No you ordered a Coke
Me: Right.........and...

and it just goes from there
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

That seals the deal for me as if their "new" translucent sliced meat wasn't enough to lose my business in it's own rights. Just got a tuna subway today with the thought that maybe you'd still get the same amount of tuna at least. I don't think so. At my Subway there's even a new hood that hides the meat & cheese totally from view so you can't see how thin it is. That's my guess as to why the hood is there now. Subway was just about the last fast food joint that had a good coke machine that seemed to get the syrup ratio correct. I was there today to use the last few dollars on a gift card in person, the app won't let you use multiple payment methods. Now that my gift card is empty I don't plan to return.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I haven't been to Subway since Firehouse opened decades ago.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:17 pm Diet Mountain Dew at Subway would get me to step foot in there a lot more often.
So you can tell them what a horrible mistake they've made and that they're committing war crimes?
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Small Fact: Mountain Dew has no caffeine in Canada. Dates back to a law of some kind that prevented caffeine being in drinks if they weren't cola. To get around that fact, they had to turn Mountain Dew into an energy drink that put it into a different category.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:17 pm Small Fact: Mountain Dew has no caffeine in Canada.
Oh, the horror!