American Truck Simulator

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

hitbyambulance

Re: American Truck Simulator

Post by hitbyambulance »

Baroquen wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:14 pm And since I'll never end up playing and finding this place on the map, someone else (probably jztemple) will have to tell us what's the easter egg inside the PACCAR. :)
(it's in Mount Vernon, about 2/3s of the way up I-5 from Seattle to Bellingham)
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

So that's what that is. I've driven past it before and wondered. It is rather secretive looking.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

PACCAR has a pretty big presence in WA state and i've known several engineers who worked for them
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Those are some nice looking improvements. I'm so busy trying to keep the truck on the road that I often miss some of the nice scenery.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

1.49 Update - Used Truck Dealers

Among other changes coming for Euro Truck Simulator 2 and American Truck Simulator in the 1.49 update, there will be a fairly big feature that will bring a few tweaks that are important to the immersion of the virtual trucking experience. Today, we’ll showcase the Used Truck Dealers!

Enlarge Image

Used Trucks will be available immediately in the main menu taking you to a selection of trucks that are more budget-friendly compared to brand new vehicles. However, these used trucks come with some mileage and wear, which is indicated by their star rating and a separate window that provides a detailed breakdown of the damage to various parts.

This feature provides an excellent opportunity for players to own a truck without breaking the bank. It's particularly ideal for newcomers who want to hit the road without a hefty investment, while it also adds an extra layer of challenge for experienced players.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

One thing I've been wishing over the years is a better wear and tear model, with individual components that could fail. The way it is now, wear and tear is mostly tied to the engine. I think it would be so much more immersive if you could have components fail, necessitating a trip to the mechanic. I think Alaskan Road Truckers, which is out now, does this.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

License that Wreckfest technology.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Rumpy wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:18 pm One thing I've been wishing over the years is a better wear and tear model, with individual components that could fail. The way it is now, wear and tear is mostly tied to the engine. I think it would be so much more immersive if you could have components fail, necessitating a trip to the mechanic. I think Alaskan Road Truckers, which is out now, does this.
I don't know if it's what's in play here, but a lot of the time, vehicle manufacturers won't license their brands to companies without a 'no damage' stipulation. Kenworth doesn't necessarily want their trucks shown as breaking down along the road, and if one company's trucks were shown as more reliable than another's...
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, I get that. But we're not talking visual damage which is usually the case, but rather mechanical damage by regular wear and tear. I've always found it odd that the worst the wear and tear can get is having your engine become erratic and randomly shutting down. If they're willing to go that far as part of a simulator, then surely they could improve it to be more detailed.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Rumpy wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 3:06 pm Yeah, I get that. But we're not talking visual damage which is usually the case, but rather mechanical damage by regular wear and tear. I've always found it odd that the worst the wear and tear can get is having your engine become erratic and randomly shutting down. If they're willing to go that far as part of a simulator, then surely they could improve it to be more detailed.
That's what I meant. Mack probably doesn't want to have people posting about how their Mack broke down too much, or how the Peterbilt they replaced it with was more reliable. I'd guess that they're able to create a generic 'wear and tear' maintenance mechanic, but may not be able to make it more granular than that.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Which is weird when you put it into the perspective of their new used dealers, where wear and tear is going to be marginal at best and not be the challenge they purport it to be. It doesn't necessarily have to show reliability by manufacturer either, as I don't even think the game takes reliability into consideration anyway, but rather I think it's something that's the same across the board. Rather, I think they should be able to factor in failure by mileage regardless of truck. The more mileage a vehicle has, they're more likely to run across issues, and that's just a general rule of law.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Rumpy wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:22 pmIt doesn't necessarily have to show reliability by manufacturer either, as I don't even think the game takes reliability into consideration anyway, but rather I think it's something that's the same across the board.
I agree in concept, but we're talking about presenting this to human beings who don't understand confirmation bias, and who are looking for things to vent about online. They don't have to differ in reliability, they just have to be perceived that way. And if you're a corporation that relies on your reputation, that's enough to simply add a line into the licensing contract that guarantees that your product is only shown in the best light.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, speaking of venting... :D
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

FWIW, I don't know if that's why or not - it's just a guess based on what I've heard is in other licensing contracts when branded vehicles are involved.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, and you might be totally right on that. But it's strange to me they would put in a used dealer option when wear is negligible at best. And most likely can simply be repaired without consequence, when in reality a vehicle still has a history even after repairs.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Kansas - Release Date Reveal
There’s no place like Kansas, and the same rings true in American Truck Simulator! Mark your calendars and get ready to hit the virtual roads, because we're excited to announce that...

The Kansas DLC for American Truck Simulator will be released
on November 30th, 2023!

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

would be interested in Alaska DLC, but there's no way for them to link it to the continental 48. it's not like you'd have to even include that many roads! and could leave out the range- and island-bound communities entirely! ... ok, it wouldn't work out.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

They included UK in Euro Truck Simulator. I'm sure they could figure something out for Alaska.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

In case anyone was wondering, the next announced DLC after Kansas will be... Arkansas! Yup, surprised me too, I thought it would be going to Nebraska. So I'm guessing that after Arkansas we'll be seeing Louisiana, then across the Gulf states... maybe they will get to Florida before my fingers are too arthritic to play! :wink: :character-oldtimer:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Looking forward to Tennessee
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:35 pm In case anyone was wondering, the next announced DLC after Kansas will be... Arkansas! Yup, surprised me too, I thought it would be going to Nebraska. So I'm guessing that after Arkansas we'll be seeing Louisiana, then across the Gulf states... maybe they will get to Florida before my fingers are too arthritic to play! :wink: :character-oldtimer:
I wonder if their plan is to move up the east coast and do the more um... 'interesting' states before filling in the center.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I assumed they were going to finish Route 66 in Chicago, then head straight east for NY - but that seems to not be the case at all.

Of course, maybe they are just swooping over and down to New Orleans right now, and then maybe they will head back up to see Chicago.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:17 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:35 pm In case anyone was wondering, the next announced DLC after Kansas will be... Arkansas! Yup, surprised me too, I thought it would be going to Nebraska. So I'm guessing that after Arkansas we'll be seeing Louisiana, then across the Gulf states... maybe they will get to Florida before my fingers are too arthritic to play! :wink: :character-oldtimer:
I wonder if their plan is to move up the east coast and do the more um... 'interesting' states before filling in the center.
I would think they may want to spread out a few of the boring states in between anything they feel is more interesting, rather than save up all the yawners for the last 10+ updates.

At some point they need to bite the ol' Indiana bullet... It is the "Crossroads of America" after all.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'd have expected them to release them following an interstate (I70, maybe), or else do some of the central states in combined packs.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:33 pm I'd have expected them to release them following an interstate (I70, maybe), or else do some of the central states in combined packs.
The Dakotas would certainty be a good choice for a combo pack, as would Delaware/Maryland.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Illinois needs its own (Chicago), but:

Dakotas
Indiana, Ohio, Michigan
Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin
Kin-fucky, Tennessee

None of those would be bigger than Texas.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

speaking as a native Minnesotan, i resent the implication that you could just lump us in with Wisconsin and (god forbid) Iowa. Minneapolis/St. Paul is worthy of attention all on their own. ... but if they were going this route anyways, might as go full 'Upper Midwest" and throw the Dakotas in as well. i don't think it'd take more than a week or so to bake the necessary assets.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

The Dakota’s have some unique geographical areas they would likely spend more time on then say, the rolling hills of Wisconsin.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

American Truck Simulator 1.49: Special Transport DLC Update
Today, we are excited to reveal two brand-new cargos for the Special Transport DLC. With the upcoming 1.49 update, you will be able to haul a 39-meter-long (over 129 feet) wind turbine blade and a massive articulated hauler in American Truck Simulator.

To celebrate the long-requested wind turbine blade, we have made two new routes leading from Pueblo, Colorado, where these blades are manufactured. You'll also be able to find these two new cargoes on selected Special Transport routes that are already featured in the game, leading through either some of the previously released map expansions, but also located in some of the states that came out with the initial release of ATS.

This DLC update includes:
  • Wind Turbine Blade cargo
  • Articulated Hauler cargo
  • New route from Pueblo to Trinidad (near Pueblo)
  • New route from Pueblo to Limon (near Denver)
Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Update 1.49 has been released, check the video for the changes or see the article.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And it's that time again, another state has been added!

And because Kansas, we also have:

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Can juuuuuust about see Lake Michigan on that map...

Also, did they sneak a tiny bit into Missouri there!? (Kansas City) :ninja:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Unagi wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:33 pm Can juuuuuust about see Lake Michigan in that map...
Oddly, although I saw an announcement about Arkansas being the next state, there is also in the Steam store a product page for ATS Nebraska. So maybe they are going to go off in two directions rather than doing sequential contiguous DLC.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Unagi wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:33 pm Can juuuuuust about see Lake Michigan on that map...

Also, did they sneak a tiny bit into Missouri there!? (Kansas City) :ninja:

:P
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:30 pm :P
Well sure... there is: Kansas City
and then there is : Kansas City

(known as Ka , on the map you provided)

But really, I was going off the glowing orange roads that seemed to bleed over the state line and clearly into Missouri on the map up there.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:37 pm
Unagi wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:33 pm Can juuuuuust about see Lake Michigan in that map...
Oddly, although I saw an announcement about Arkansas being the next state, there is also in the Steam store a product page for ATS Nebraska. So maybe they are going to go off in two directions rather than doing sequential contiguous DLC.
Yeah, this old August article implies Nebraska next:
https://www.eurogamer.net/after-oklahom ... n-nebraska
and then in Sept, they say Arkansas after that:
https://www.eurogamer.net/american-truc ... o-arkansas

I wonder if they will knock out N/S Dakota after those two, or go to Louisiana.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

For those with a few bucks sitting in their Steam account, here's a little DLC for those who might want it:

We're thrilled to present a fresh collection of truck tires and accessories, officially licensed from Michelin for American Truck Simulator. To enhance the experience, we've added a variety of "aftermarket" goodies and paint jobs, creating a blend that's sure to bring joy to every Michelin enthusiast.

Michelin, a global giant in tire manufacturing with a rich history spanning over 120 years, is renowned for innovation. The unmistakable brand identity is embodied by Bibendum, the iconic Michelin Man, one of the oldest trademarks worldwide.

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

There's always cool stuff to see in ATS:

Enlarge Image

The newly updated skybox means we have some very pretty clouds now:

Enlarge Image

One of the things about ATS is that there's sometimes things that are interesting off to the side that you don't see if you just keep to the cockpit view. I use the orbital chase mode at times just to scope things out:

Enlarge Image

At my destination in Kansas:

Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Pizza House, one of my favorites on the road.

Enlarge Image

Hey, a howitzer!

Enlarge Image

My new delivery job:

Enlarge Image

Hays, Kansas. We've actually been to Hays in real life, went to the Fort Hays State Historic Site

Enlarge Image