THANK YOU! 2024 Fundraising Completed - $2095 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Mad Max PC ...open world...the new Shadows of Mordor?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

coopasonic

Re: Mad Max PC ...open world...the new Shadows of Mordor?

Post by coopasonic »

Daehawk wrote:Lastly...minefields. It says the dog will smell them out and you can get shotgun ammo from them. It also says the dog is in Chum's buggy. But Im at Jeets and his buggy is not here. Last I saw it it was back at his base which got blown up. So wheres my dog?
You get a mission to go back and get the dog and the buggy. At the beginning Jeet and Chumbucket have a few missions for you that unlock a bunch of content/features, so do all of those.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Daehawk wrote:Im in Jeets area working to clean it out. The game though for some reason had me go to Jeets and by doing that I had to drive through a full area and do nothing in it. Its the one between the start and Jeets area. Should I go back and do that whole area first? Im guessing yes.
The world is your post-apocalyptic oyster. Go back and clear out an area, go onto a new area, do the story, ignore the story, whatever you want. Eventually you'll find certain car upgrades restricted until you reduce a certain region's threat, so that may direct your actions a bit, but otherwise just do whatever. If you want more direction, maybe prioritize clearing out camps in the beginning so you can boost your recurring income. You'll be hurting for scrap all the way to the end of the game.
Lastly...minefields. It says the dog will smell them out and you can get shotgun ammo from them. It also says the dog is in Chum's buggy. But Im at Jeets and his buggy is not here. Last I saw it it was back at his base which got blown up. So wheres my dog?
There's a mission to go back and get the dog, but if you've already done that then the buggy is available at any base. Walk up to the Magnum Opus and press and hold the button for "select other vehicle."
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

wonderpug wrote:You'll be hurting for scrap all the way to the end of the game.
I get over 500 scrap from the ally camps per tick, however long a tick is, and it comes nowhere close to meeting my scrap needs for upgrading the mother-lovin Big Chief. On the plus side I basically have nothing else to spend scrap on except the last couple upgrades to my poon.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

Daehawk wrote:
Lastly...minefields. It says the dog will smell them out and you can get shotgun ammo from them. It also says the dog is in Chum's buggy. But Im at Jeets and his buggy is not here. Last I saw it it was back at his base which got blown up. So wheres my dog?
maybe you can mod it?...

Keep playing, it hasn't unlocked yet.

That's the one thing I don't like about the game... It references things you can't use yet which adds a ton of confusion and a time sink trying to figure out what you are missing.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Brian

Post by Brian »

Brian wrote:I've only once had a little slowdown and it only lasted about 30 seconds.
I knew I would regret posting that. :doh:

This morning it ran like crap for about twenty minutes. Slow enough to really bug me but just well enough to keep plugging through. Then when it was time to quit playing and get ready for work I went to shut down the PC and got hit with the "Install Updates and Shutdown" message.

:oops: No wonder it was running so poorly.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

maybe you can mod it?...
I'm hoping for a mod that allows me to turn the blower on and off....when I get one. :mrgreen:
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Daehawk wrote:Lastly...minefields. It says the dog will smell them out and you can get shotgun ammo from them. It also says the dog is in Chum's buggy. But Im at Jeets and his buggy is not here. Last I saw it it was back at his base which got blown up. So wheres my dog?
IIRC this will get unlocked by a mission. Then the dog will be available as will the buggy, the buggy is part way down the alternative vehicles list.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Daehawk wrote:I have too much fun harpooning stuff....towers to bring them down....people to send them flying....the car stuff is just too kool. I even love getting people on my car and the slinging them off. I actually sit and wait for them to climb on hahah.
I'm with Gabe on this one...
Enlarge Image
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

So how much does this game compare to Shadows of Mordor?
I got bored pretty quickly with the repetitiveness of that game.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Max Peck wrote:
Daehawk wrote:I have too much fun harpooning stuff....towers to bring them down....people to send them flying....the car stuff is just too kool. I even love getting people on my car and the slinging them off. I actually sit and wait for them to climb on hahah.
I'm with Gabe on this one...
Enlarge Image
I probably spent 15 hours in Just Cause 2 exclusively grappling people to cars, to planes, from cars to light posts, from cars to planes, from passing motorcycles to trees, out of choppers, etc. Sounds like they took the best of that and put it in Mad Max.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm more amazed at the few people here and the groups of people on the official forums that don't meet the recommended minimum requirements but are playing without a problem (excluding Windows updates). I remember with Dishonored they admitted they were setting the minimum bar higher than what was actually needed based on how you play the game (action vs stealth). I mean, I guess with the refund program I have nothing to lose, but I'm just surprised it works without a problem. Makes me wonder if the new Witcher is the same way.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

stimpy wrote:So how much does this game compare to Shadows of Mordor?
I got bored pretty quickly with the repetitiveness of that game.
If you got bored with Shadows of Mordor I would probably avoid this game, unless you have a special love for (arcade-ish) driving in games or the Mad Max world. If I suppress my special love for (arcade-ish) driving in games I would say Mordor is a better game, by a not insignificant margin.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Gorramit!
Spoiler:
Chumbucket is why I can't have nice things. :cry:

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Completed thirty-six hours. Just beat the last camp in Gutgash's territory, so all I have to do is clear the minefields and one scarecrow which isn't showing up on the map :cry:. I saved the toughest camp, Proving Ground, for last. I won't ruin the surprise, but it's sure different from the other camps.

By the way, very proud of this achievement:

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

By the way, an interesting article: Two Very Australian Things The Mad Max Video Game Got Right.

Personally, I wish they would have a car mod to add left hand drive. I'm always getting out on the wrong side of the car!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I just get in on either side though it does come to mind as Im doing it.

Wait ...wait just a second.......Where are the motorcycles!?? Why are there no motorcycles in this game? The Mad Max films are filled with them. At times they are required in the story. So as cool and as Mad Max as the game is it needs motorcycles.....so why are there none? In GTA 5 its a lot of fun to wreck into them with my car. Thats how it should be here. Please mod in motorcycles.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

3 bugs and a question.

First the question......Ive seen videos online where Max is running with a gas can in his hands. I cant seem to do that. I simply walk with them. I even hit my sprint key and nothing happens. How are they doing that?

Bugs. Ive had 2 and saw another in a video. And none of them are bad. Amazing how polished this game is. Im grateful for that.

1. Has it crash to desktop one time in all my play.
2. My car was stuck in neutral once lol. I could not move forward or backwards. The wheels were not spinning but the engine would rev all the way up. I finally just held it wide open and after a few seconds it moved normally.
3. I saw a player get a drink and them flip across the ground a couple seconds. It was like they were in a tornado or dust devil but wasn't one there.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Daehawk wrote:I just get in on either side though it does come to mind as Im doing it.

Wait ...wait just a second.......Where are the motorcycles!?? Why are there no motorcycles in this game? The Mad Max films are filled with them. At times they are required in the story. So as cool and as Mad Max as the game is it needs motorcycles.....so why are there none? In GTA 5 its a lot of fun to wreck into them with my car. Thats how it should be here. Please mod in motorcycles.
Well, there are a couple of motorcycle in-jokes to be found, if that helps. :)

Here's one of them:
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Any way to rebind MAP to M instead of TAB? I hit M every time before hitting TAB lol.
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

My only nag so far would be a little more control on the melee combat. The ability to kick and/or jump kick would be nice. Of course, I'm still trying to unlock some other moves, so maybe I haven't opened Max up enough. So far, I just have the little shoulder move while sprinting.

Ironically, the best times I've had kicking total ass in a game has been two other movie licenses: The Matrix (Path of Neo) and Captain America. For Path of Neo, there were so many ways to creatively take down people, it was like art in motion. For Captain America, you could throw your shield, and while it's flying around, keep kicking ass.
"Some people say never...I just say no"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Daehawk wrote:Bugs. Ive had 2 and saw another in a video. And none of them are bad. Amazing how polished this game is. Im grateful for that.

1. Has it crash to desktop one time in all my play.
2. My car was stuck in neutral once lol. I could not move forward or backwards. The wheels were not spinning but the engine would rev all the way up. I finally just held it wide open and after a few seconds it moved normally.
3. I saw a player get a drink and them flip across the ground a couple seconds. It was like they were in a tornado or dust devil but wasn't one there.
In thirty-six hours on the PC, not a single crash (knock wood!). I also had that stuck in neutral thing one time. I stopped the car, hopped out, got back in and everything was fine. Weird, but harmless. And I've a couple of times been flipped around. Very strange. It happened to me next to the car and I wonder if there is some collision code being resolved. Again, not any kind of issue.

Also I've found it's good to stay out in a storm in your car. You do get knocked about, but you can collect those Muthalut (sp?) crates that have lots of scrap. And driving in a storm is a hoot.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Buatha wrote:My only nag so far would be a little more control on the melee combat. The ability to kick and/or jump kick would be nice. Of course, I'm still trying to unlock some other moves, so maybe I haven't opened Max up enough. So far, I just have the little shoulder move while sprinting.
I was slow (a few years) in playing the Batman:Arkham games, but I've gone from "holy crap this is awesome" to "I want more! Give me 4 million moves and let me chain them and all sorts of wicked stuff".

I've gone from "this is really good" to "I'm dissatisfied with the limitations, give me more".

Melee combat has really come a long way. Sleeping Dogs, Batman, Tomb Raider even. I want it to go even farther. I want to be able to *be* my favourite action hero.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive only seen one storm. My car has no armor and it started getting damaged. I was right at a enemy camp though so I got out and went in to clean it out. I guess it didn;'t get hurt with me not in it. I didn't get hurt out of the car. I did get hit and knocked down by a piece of flying something or other. One sec I standing there in the wind between two doors in a shack and the next WHAP knocked down. I barely saw what hit as in came in oen door , hit me, and out the other. lol. I cracked up.

Ill have to get soem armor and check out the super crates.
Brian

Post by Brian »

The Muthaloot crates give you three pickups worth 100 scrap each. There are typically about 3-4 Muthaloot crates in close proximity making for a pretty good score.

I'm at 100% on both Jeet's and Gut Gash's territories and have just opened up Pink Eye's. I'm currently sitting at over 5K scrap because, for the moment, I can't upgrade any further.

Once I get access to the V8 I'm sure I'll be spending most of that.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Daehawk wrote:Ive only seen one storm. My car has no armor and it started getting damaged. I was right at a enemy camp though so I got out and went in to clean it out. I guess it didn;'t get hurt with me not in it.
I think the car does take damage in the storm even when you get out, but Chumbucket automatically repairs damage while you are on foot.

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk wrote:3. I saw a player get a drink and them flip across the ground a couple seconds. It was like they were in a tornado or dust devil but wasn't one there.
Sounds like they were maybe hit by a Vortex Torpedo.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Unagi wrote:
Daehawk wrote:3. I saw a player get a drink and them flip across the ground a couple seconds. It was like they were in a tornado or dust devil but wasn't one there.
Sounds like they were maybe hit by a Vortex Torpedo.
:lol:
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I finished the storyline last night and have also completed all the wasteland missions and stronghold upgrades. You can continue playing past the end if you want to finish off the collectibles, run deathraces, etc.
Spoiler:
I was very disappointed in the conclusion to the story. Too Kobayashi Maru for my tastes.

The final showdown with Scabrous Scrotus is, for all intents and purposes, a low-difficulty QTE sequence. After all the fun and mayhem we go through to get there? WTF Avalanche!!!

Overall all, I've enjoyed the game and will continue playing for a while, chipping away at some of the collectibles and chasing some of the achievements. The ending is pretty damn anticlimactic though.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I wish it was easier to pick Chums buggy to use. Its buried in a menu. Why couldn't they just have it sitting in the stronghold in that other empty bay? Or just make it a simple button press at your car.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Daehawk wrote:I wish it was easier to pick Chums buggy to use. Its buried in a menu. Why couldn't they just have it sitting in the stronghold in that other empty bay? Or just make it a simple button press at your car.
You almost never have a reason to use anything other than the Magnum Opus. Minesweeping is probably the most tedious thing in the game.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

True but I get ammo at this early stage and it lowers resistance.

HOLY SHATBALLS!! I just found my first crates in a storm! Almost died too. I was leaving Jeets and a storm came up. Suddenly a crate flew right past me. I was in the buggy and thought Id never catch it without boost. The wind died down and I caught it. Hopped out and kicked it opened and just then a BADASS lightning storm hit. I swear just as I opened that crate a bolt hit me and took a lot of health off me and set me on fire plus all the scrap disappeared. ARGH . I thought Id missed my chance but then noticed the other two crates near me. I got all six of the scrap!

Then I went close by to do the mine field I was heading to and I found 3 more crates ...so 9 more 100 scrap..i went from no scrap to about 1600...must have been more than 100 in each one..amazing luck! But I am about dead.

And that take me to health..I drank all my water in the storm and I just have a sliver of health. I dont have the water in camp yet and no maggots. SO how am I to get my health back? Do I just have to go out and find water?

EDIT: I found a water spot and killed a rat there and ate it...well ok then :)

HINT: If you're in the buggy dont fast travel because when you get there it will have your Magnum Opus waiting instead of the buggy.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive seen vids where Chum will repair the car if it sits still with Max still in it. But he wont do anything for me unless I get totally out of it.
Brian

Post by Brian »

It's up button on the D-Pad if you are using a controller. Which you aren't but I'm sure it's listed in the keyboard commands.

Or, you can get out of the car, he'll start fixing it and then you can get right back in it again. As long as you don't give it gas, he'll keep working until he's done.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Brian wrote:It's up button on the D-Pad if you are using a controller. Which you aren't but I'm sure it's listed in the keyboard commands.

Or, you can get out of the car, he'll start fixing it and then you can get right back in it again. As long as you don't give it gas, he'll keep working until he's done.
The default keyboard command to fix the vehicle is "E".

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

jztemple2 wrote:That project that earns you scrap when you are offline? I just fired up the game after being offline for about ten hours and got... 75 scrap. Those guys need to work harder! :horse:
I didn't play yesterday. Today when I opened up the game, the scrap crews handed me 849 scrap. When you have three scrap crews collecting it goes better. :)
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Well, in spite of me thinking I wasn't going to bother, I'm now prowling Gutgash's land with Dinki Di, looking for landmines. Very sort of Euro Trucking Simulator 2 in a way.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Just reached the highest legend level and used Griffa points to complete all those ability circles. Didn't get an achievement, which seems sucky. Anyway, I'm at 38 hours and beginning to burn out, may need to take a break.
Brian

Post by Brian »

jztemple2 wrote:Just reached the highest legend level and used Griffa points to complete all those ability circles.
Yeah, I think you max out (heh. :wink: ) a little too quickly on the Griffa points. They needed to parcel them out a little slower to keep pace with the rest of the game.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Brian wrote:
jztemple2 wrote:Just reached the highest legend level and used Griffa points to complete all those ability circles.
Yeah, I think you max out (heh. :wink: ) a little too quickly on the Griffa points. They needed to parcel them out a little slower to keep pace with the rest of the game.
I think they want non-completionists to have a shot. Maybe there is an achievement for having a super high Road Warrior level? I don't know. I think I am close to Road Warrior 20 and still have a lot of completionism to go. All I have left from that standpoint is one convoy, a couple minefields and a half dozen camps (all 5 skull) in pink eye territory.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Still no convoy for me. I got close. had all the cars our of it but the main one which rammed me into a wall and before I could get out I died in the explosion. Never saw that lone truck again.