HBO remakes Westworld into tv series...Abrams / Nolan

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

HBO remakes Westworld into tv series...Abrams / Nolan

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
dbt1949

Re: HBO remakes Westworld into tv series...Abrams / Nolan

Post by dbt1949 »

This will be the second time they've tried that.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Gizmodo
News broke over the weekend that the highly anticipated HBO sci-fi series Westworld has shut down production. And while that’s true and sounds like incredibly bad news, it’s actually the opposite.

“As we head into the final phase of production on Westworld, we’ve made the decision to take a brief hiatus in order to get ahead of the writing,” said a statement released by HBO. So basically, things were going well but writers Jonathan Nolan (The Dark Knight) and Lisa Joy (Burn Notice) just wanted some time to finish the final four scripts.

So it’s a good thing. They don’t want to rush production just because they have to. They want to make the product as good as possible.

The show will go back into production in March, according to Variety, and it still on track to premiere at some point this year.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

Good to understand more. Better to read up then watch the trailer. We will watch come October.
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I didn't like the movie at all, yet the idea of an ongoing show seems to suit the idea better. I love the cast, so I'll check this one out.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

They could even spin this off to an anthology series, what with the Medieval and Roman Worlds from the original setting.
Odin

Post by Odin »

I LOVED this movie when I was a little kid, so this is right up my alley. I hope they do a good job with it, and don't end up with all of the robots worshiping god and listening to All Along the Watchtower (frak you, Ron Moore!!).
tgb

Post by tgb »

Premier is Sunday night. Don't forget to set your DVR's
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Isgrimnur wrote:They could even spin this off to an anthology series, what with the Medieval and Roman Worlds from the original setting.
I hope it's like Otherworld.
He won. Period.
Toe

Post by Toe »

I thought it was a decent start. Loved the open credits. I liked most of the cast so far other than the lady director, I thought she was terrible. I hope if there is an android uprising, she is the first to die. Really enjoyed Hopkin's scenes when he is interacting with the androids. They did a great job with the old android, showing more robotic movements and such.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

I enjoyed the opener and Hopkin's scenes as well, especially when you first meet him and Wild Bill, one of the original models. Agreed that they did an awesome job on his movements down to the lips, very obviously a 'first gen' model. Not really sure where they're going with Ed Harris and his 'Man in Black' character but it looks like it will be an interesting ride. Now I'm sitting here trying to recall if the original version took place 30 years into the park's life as this one does or if it had just opened... :think:
-mf
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

I really liked it! The use of music was great, with an instrumental version of a classic playing during a brutal shootout. The guy that played the father android was spectacular and I think he stole the scene from Anthony Hopkins.

Can't wait to see more.
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

I thought it was OK. I was wondering if they were trying for some Deadwood record for using the F word in a single conversation though. It really detracted from the show. The cowboy in black I also didn't like his character much. Weird, I can like the portrayal of Ramsey Bolton but still despise the character and want him dead but with the cowboy in black I just didn't really want to watch anything related to him.

I'll give it a couple more episodes. Really liked Anthony Hopkins and boyfriend cowboy.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I have it recorded but haven't watched it yet. Some of these comments are making me nervous because I hate Westerns. I never watched Deadwood because in the end it was still horse shit and gun smoke.

Is there enough non Western/SF material that someone like me might enjoy it, or should I just go ahead and delete it now?
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Its about 50/50 Westworld and sci-fi but the real world is omnipresent so it doesn't really feel western-ish, even when you're in the park. There are some plot issues, as usual with sci-fi based shows but nothing too glaring.
Spoiler:
My only real issue was it seemed like they have total control and monitoring capabilities and yet they seem to have no clue as to what Ed Harris is up to with their "models" I would think that kidnapping and scalping a robot for his brain circuitry would send up all sorts of red flags, especially seeing how guarded and proprietary the technology is.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And the reason they have to strip the robots naked anytime they're outside the simulation is?
He won. Period.
tgb

Post by tgb »

hepcat wrote:And the reason they have to strip the robots naked anytime they're outside the simulation is?
hepcat, meet the internet. Internet, hepcat.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Hi, internet! It's really nice to meet you. I hear you're saying some nasty things about me, though. What's up with that?
He won. Period.
Rip

Post by Rip »

hepcat wrote:Hi, internet! It's really nice to meet you. I hear you're saying some nasty things about me, though. What's up with that?
U mad Brobot?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Internet? Is that you?
He won. Period.
Rip

Post by Rip »

hepcat wrote:Internet? Is that you?
Why did you let them deport me?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oh, it's Rip. Yeah, sorry about that. We all felt it was best for everyone. But we did give you a copy of Ann Coulter's latest book at the airport, didn't we?

Where were we?

Oh yeah, naked robots. A much more adult discussion.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

DirecTV is having a free weekend so I'll check out the first two episodes. I liked the original movie - so far ahead of its time. I'm very curious to see how HBO updates the premise for the current age, though from what I gather it involves nudity; I'm ok with this. I do think it's funny that Crichton essentially did the same story again, but instead of sexytime robots he made them dinosaurs...and the premise still works. You could slap Dr. Malcolm's observation in Westworld and he still makes sense:
Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

rshetts2 wrote:
Spoiler:
My only real issue was it seemed like they have total control and monitoring capabilities and yet they seem to have no clue as to what Ed Harris is up to with their "models" I would think that kidnapping and scalping a robot for his brain circuitry would send up all sorts of red flags, especially seeing how guarded and proprietary the technology is.
Spoiler:
It sounds like many of the park visitors go there to do just the sorts of things the man in black is doing, i.e. killing and raping. Maybe scalping isn't that far out of the norm?
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

My observations after watching the pilot:
Spoiler:
1) I can't remember any show inspired by Westworld (and there are many) that hasn't made it clear that a lot of people would enter such a virtual world solely to rape and kill. This remake is no exception. You think it would be like going to Disneyworld to assault furries. In other words, greatly discouraged.

edit: Ralph beat me to this.

2) The naked robots. Would it kill them to put jumpsuits on the robots when they're not in a simulation? I know mannequins aren't clothed while in storage, but mannequins aren't usually equipped with working sex organs (besides Kim Cattrall, that is).

3) We get it. Flies love eyes.

4) Does every Englishman over the age of 60 turn into Malcolm McDowell?

5) Ed Harris is immortal.
All joking aside, I did enjoy it and look forward to where they're going with it.
He won. Period.
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

hepcat wrote:My observations after watching the pilot:
Spoiler:
1) I can't remember any show inspired by Westworld (and there are many) that hasn't made it clear that a lot of people would enter such a virtual world solely to rape and kill. This remake is no exception. You think it would be like going to Disneyworld to assault furries. In other words, greatly discouraged.

edit: Ralph beat me to this.

2) The naked robots. Would it kill them to put jumpsuits on the robots when they're not in a simulation? I know mannequins aren't clothed while in storage, but mannequins aren't usually equipped with working sex organs (besides Kim Cattrall, that is).

3) We get it. Flies love eyes.

4) Does every Englishman over the age of 60 turn into Malcolm McDowell?

5) Ed Harris is immortal.
All joking aside, I did enjoy it and look forward to where they're going with it.
Spoiler:
I think the fact that they don't put them in clothes is part of the point the show is heading towards. Much like calling them livestock, the people in control don't think of them as human, so why would you put clothes on them?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Spoiler:
Because old man schlong is disconcerting?
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Another run-in at the gym? :wink:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, but don't worry...the cameras were rolling at the time.
He won. Period.
tgb

Post by tgb »

hepcat wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Does that mean you don't want the picture you asked for?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Want and need are two very different things. My walls just seem so barren.
He won. Period.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

hepcat wrote:Want and need are two very different things.
Not when we are dealing with addicktion.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Bravo fortissimo! :lol:
He won. Period.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

cheeba wrote:I really liked it! The use of music was great, with an instrumental version of a classic playing during a brutal shootout. The guy that played the father android was spectacular and I think he stole the scene from Anthony Hopkins.

Can't wait to see more.
+1.

I'm not sold on the overarching storyline, but loved the treatment of the subject matter itself.

Enjoyed it and am looking forward to the next episode.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Cortilian wrote:I thought it was OK. I was wondering if they were trying for some Deadwood record for using the F word in a single conversation though.
That's interesting, because the first thing I noted was a distinct lack of swearing, and then when a couple of EFF bombs dropped, they were noteworthy. After that I didn't notice an inordinate amount of profanity at all. Doesn't mean it wasn't there, only that it didn't distract from what the show.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

hepcat wrote:And the reason they have to strip the robots naked anytime they're outside the simulation is?
My daughter used to keep her dolls undressed when not playing with them too. Made it faster to dress them when she decided what they were going to wear.

In any case, there wasn't a huge amount of visible nudity during diagnosis periods. Usually you got the upper part of the butt when they were sitting in a chair and the camera was behind them.

I didn't find it particularly odd, after all I take the case off my PC when I'm working on it, although in this case we never really see any artificialness, it's mostly by mannerisms/behaviours and voice responses.

shrug.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Smoove_B wrote:DirecTV is having a free weekend so I'll check out the first two episodes. I liked the original movie - so far ahead of its time. I'm very curious to see how HBO updates the premise for the current age, though from what I gather it involves nudity; I'm ok with this. I do think it's funny that Crichton essentially did the same story again, but instead of sexytime robots he made them dinosaurs...and the premise still works. You could slap Dr. Malcolm's observation in Westworld and he still makes sense:
Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
But this is just Mary Shelley. At least Westworld. Crichton thought introspection too complicated so he made neat toys instead, I guess?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I thought the opening was great. I admit that they had me hook line and sinker.