[Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by Daehawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:27 pm Add thrush to your list. Maybe get something to eat first.
I shall not. Thank you. I remember it from the 90s and its association with AIDS patients.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

LordMortis wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:47 pm
Alefroth wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:40 pm That's mind boggling. I assume masking and distancing are the primary drivers. Are there any others at work?
Isolation. Specifically I would say school from home style isolation. Coworkers with kids getting sick and coming to work while they themselves were sick were always the vectors of spread at my work.
It is indeed mind boggling. Is such a low number perhaps questionable? Are other things affecting reporting? If someone is sick with flu-like symptoms but they test negative for covid, medical staff shrug and shove them out the gates unless they're on death's door?

Though I'm sure it is much, much, tremendously lower. Not meant as anything other than an anecdote, but I too haven't had a cold in probably close to two years, and I think I usually get about two a year. As well, a lot of the general malaise and "I might be coming down with something" feelings are gone, but there may be other factors there. The downside is that I haven't kept up exercise in even a minor way since I've been working from home, and overall my health is significantly poorer. But at least I don't have the sniffles. 8-) I frigging hate colds. But a legit bad flu and the weakness that comes with it is like shaking hands with the Grim Reaper. Don't want to know what covid is like.

Definitely curious how many people will now don a mask in tight public spaces during regular cold/flu season. I can see carrying one in my pocket for the bus. During cold days it doubles as face protection.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Sudy wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:20 am The downside is that I haven't kept up exercise in even a minor way since I've been working from home, and overall my health is significantly poorer. But at least I don't have the sniffles.
Truth.
Definitely curious how many people will now don a mask in tight public spaces during regular cold/flu season. I can see carrying one in my pocket for the bus. During cold days it doubles as face protection.
Not sure but not likely but while I've always had a high level of social hygiene this just moves it to 11. Before I've always grumbled around being around sick coworkers, I can see my habit changing from passive aggressive to flat out refusal.

At the same time, don't you want some sort of exposure to keep your immune system working? That's a real question. Isn't that part of why we do shots and stuff? Boosting the immune system by making you sick with less dangerous stuff?

(I also suspect there are numbers hanky panky while I don't doubt the drop was nearly vertical)
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I dunno. That's a good question for an immunologist. I've been doing a good job of getting sick for 35 years. Is my body just going to forget how to defend itself if I start taking realistic precations against seasonal cold/flu? I don't think any of us had any idea properly worn masks could actually be so effective. Many of us with little in depth understanding of Asian culters found the concept ridiculous before covid. Of course, the transmission route of cold/flu isn't exactly the same, and most likely what's mostly protecting us is the isolation, not the masks. But I mean, I was always paranoid about hand washing, even though I found it impossible not to touch my face. But I'd never touch food before washing my hands after being outside, not unless I was at a fair or something and just gave up.

Besides, if your immune system is too strong you'll just get killed by a cytokine storm. :roll:

I enjoyed a book about pandemics and "the next big one" back around 2000. I'd like to find that and give it a read now....

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm sure Smoove has a copy you can borrow.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Smoove probably has the nightmare-inducing red binder version. This was just some NYT Best Seller easy-reader non-fiction. :P

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I have things. :lol:

What's funny is that I do have quite a few books on pandemics and preparing for the next one, and they were all wrong. Not only in what to expect (another influenza outbreak) but how it would unfold. At least the historical books on the 1918 pandemic and other diseases are still good. :wink:

Regarding immunity, this is probably too much, but for a long time there was a popular belief in the hygiene theory as it relates to immunity - the idea that your immune system functions best when you're being naturally exposed to things in the environment.It started out (I think) relating to asthma and allergies, but soon morphed into the idea that maybe major diseases (like influenza) affect us because we live in a much cleaner world (indoors) than they did a hundred years ago. The most recent study I'm aware of suggests it's wrong and that you're immune system does what it does without being influenced by increased (or decreased) exposures.

This hygiene theory was one that was pushed by the anti-vax communities 20+ years ago as a reason to not vaccinate kids, and so not surprisingly it worked its way into the COVID-19 pandemic and now the COVID-19 vaccination campaign. In short, the belief that lockdowns are ultimately going to make us all sicker. Instead, it's more likely that lack of exercise, poor diet and mental health issues are impacting your immune system and making it weaker, not quarantine.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Alefroth wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:40 pm That's mind boggling. I assume masking and distancing are the primary drivers. Are there any others at work?
I don't know how much vaccination played a role, but it most certainly helped. Schools being closed and/or at reduced capcity were likely influencing it as well, limiting spread between them and then to their parents. I'm sure it's going to be studied in great detail given the statistics. I'm still trying to process it myself. :D
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Sudy wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:55 am Many of us with little in depth understanding of Asian culters
Asia has mask cults?

But yeah, even in the post-mask world, I will be wearing masks if I have the sniffles and need some cough drops from the store, or need to get groceries. Knowing what we know now, I would be an asshole not to.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 2:06 pm
Sudy wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:55 am Many of us with little in depth understanding of Asian culters
Asia has mask cults?

But yeah, even in the post-mask world, I will be wearing masks if I have the sniffles and need some cough drops from the store, or need to get groceries. Knowing what we know now, I would be an asshole not to.
A friend of mine who grew up on Taiwan would visit and used to laugh at her Taiwanese friends who wore masks all the time. Not anymore.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yeah, once again it was the know-it-alls (us) who were full of it.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 2:06 pm I will be wearing masks if I have the sniffles
Do you know what's been effective in avoiding sniffles in the first place? Masks.

A remarkable side effect has been no one in our family getting routine colds since the whole pandemic started. I heard flu is also way down and attributed in part to mask measures.
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 2:06 pm
Asia has mask cults?
Lol! Now among my favourite typos. I sense a story idea....

Jeff V wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 7:54 pm Do you know what's been effective in avoiding sniffles in the first place? Masks.

A remarkable side effect has been no one in our family getting routine colds since the whole pandemic started. I heard flu is also way down and attributed in part to mask measures.
Thanks for recapping the last page and a half of the thread. :lol:

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Michigan
Michigan health officials reported the first confirmed human case of Sin Nombre hantavirus in the state, an illness spread by rodents, but not between individuals.

The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) said an adult female in Washtenaw County was recently hospitalized with a serious pulmonary illness from Sin Nombre hantavirus. The individual was likely exposed when cleaning an unoccupied dwelling that contained signs of an active rodent infestation, MDHHS said.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Wow...that's kind of a big deal - to see hantavirus this far east.

I'm not sure why they're calling it Sin Nombre (frustrated scientists do have a sense of humor) as it was officially named HPS in the 1990s. Trivia - it was the last disease to use the former "name it where it's found" convention that had been used for 50+ years.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

https://www.cdc.gov/hantavirus/technica ... ology.html
Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome (HPS)
Hantaviruses Causing HPS
Sin Nombre virus (SNV) was first isolated from rodents collected on the premises of one of the initial HPS patients in the Four Corners region.
Something something HIV, the virus that causes AIDS...
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I haven't seen "Sin Nombre Virus" is use for like 15+ years. It's been reported as HPS and non-hantavirus HPS for as long as I can remember. When writing the cause, it's been (as I've seen) just referred to has "hantavirus" causing HPS (specifically).

I'm more surprised you're not digging into why a virus found in the Four Corners region was named Sin Nombre? That's my favorite part of the story! (and of course why they stopped calling it Sin Nombre)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Discovered in 1993 near the Cañon de la Muerte on the Navajo Reservation, it was originally named the Muerto Canyon hantavirus, in keeping with the convention for naming new pathogens. However, the Navajo Nation objected to the name in 1994. It was also near the Four Corners point in the United States, so the virologists then tried naming it the "Four Corners virus". The name was changed after local residents raised objections. In frustration, the virologists changed it to Sin Nombre, meaning "without a name" in Spanish.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

C'mon - that level of humor is off the charts!

Not technically news, but I'm going to park it here as it will be contributing to a future news item:
The new Texas Department of State Health Services rules permit widespread delivery of raw milk anywhere in the Lone Star State, allowing raw milk dairies to distribute their products to practically anyone in the state.

It means groups like the Cameron, TX-based Farm and Ranch Freedom Alliance have, after a decade or more, been successful in winning in Texas in the debate about sales of milk without pasteurization that kills most bacteria.
Because, freedom. Make sure you read your milk labels, TX residents - verify your milk has been pasteurized.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I got sick in the desert with a bug with no name..
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

So when can I go there to sell salmonella infested food?
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Respiratory syncytial virus
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) released a health advisory on June 10 about the rise of RSV, a respiratory illness that causes similar symptoms to COVID-19, in southern parts of the country.

“Due to this increased activity, CDC encourages broader testing for RSV among patients presenting with acute respiratory illness who test negative for SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19,” the advisory reads.
Respiratory syncytial virus is “a common respiratory virus that usually causes mild, cold-like symptoms,” the CDC explains. Although most people recover in a week or two, RSV can cause severe illness, especially in infants and older people.

Because it’s a respiratory illness, RSV spreads much the same way COVID-19 does: Respiratory droplets from infected person (often through a cough or sneeze) makes contact with your eyes, nose or mouth or you touch a surface contaminated with the virus, then touch your face.

Right now, the South is experiencing a sudden rise in RSV cases, which had been lower than normal since April 2020, the CDC notes. Lab-confirmed cases first started to rise in March 2021, and they’ve since skyrocketed in states like Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, Texas, and Oklahoma.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Perhaps wearing a mask would help.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

At this point, I have no problem with "good ol' boys" down south marching themselves to the grave. There's really no downside to allowing them to carry on as they believe is their god-given right to die.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:51 pm At this point, I have no problem with "good ol' boys" down south marching themselves to the grave. There's really no downside to allowing them to carry on as they believe is their god-given right to die.
The downside is that they are going to take their children with them, and they're going to take the decent people who are stuck down with them, too.

This is on my mind as I look at the hordes of idiots around me here in Hicksville. I want to say, "If they want to burn it all down out of stupidity and politics, let them", and then I realize that my family would be sitting in the middle of the fire.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I'm looking forward to the time there are no Trump supporters around here. As Arkansas infection rate continues to rise.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I bring non-COVID-19 news about Whitmore's Disease
The Kansas Department of Health and Environment, the Texas Department of State Health Services, and the Minnesota Department of Health, with assistance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), are investigating three cases of Burkholderia pseudomallei (melioidosis) infections. Based on genomic analysis, these three cases (one male, two females; two adults and one child) may share a potential common source of exposure. The first case, identified in March 2021, was fatal. Two other patients were identified in May 2021, one of whom is still hospitalized. One has been discharged to a transitional care unit. None of the patients’ families reported a history of traveling outside of the continental United States.

Symptoms of melioidosis are varied and nonspecific and may include pneumonia, abscess formation, and/or blood infections. Due to its nonspecific symptoms, melioidosis can initially be mistaken for other diseases such as tuberculosis, and proper treatment may be delayed.
Not a disease endemic to the United States, and yet none of the cases have travel history and they're not connected. Genomic testing suggests a common source. It's a mystery...
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Page 2? We can't have that. Who wants to hear about Monekypox in Dallas?
Dallas County Health and Human Services says the confirmation of monkeypox infection in the city is "rare," but "not a reason for alarm."

DCHHS confirmed the infection in a person who traveled from Nigeria to Dallas and arrived at Love Field on July 9. Local health officials said Friday the person is currently isolated at a Dallas hospital to prevent the spread of the virus and is said to be in stable condition.
Hearing about Monkeypox takes me back to my salad days, when it popped up in 2003 in the United States.

Anyway, enjoy your Friday evening in a world where Monkeypox is in the news again.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

My personal flights are only in and out of DFW due to my AA Citibank card. Any trips through Love are a result of work booking me on Southwest.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Jeff V wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:56 am Plague-bearing Chipmunks in Tahoe!
We used to see plague warnings at all the parks in Reno (just down the hill from Tahoe) every few years related to chipmunks.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

A 10-year-old died from plague this year in Colorado, first plague death since 2015. More than usual plague activity reported in animals this summer: usually it's mostly in the southern parts of the state, but they are finding infected prairie dogs all the way through the Denver metro arean
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I do recall hearing about plague-infected Prairie Dogs in Colorado. The colonies near the Denver airport always kind of creeped me out because of that...I stopped for gas just before the airport and the field was lousy with the things.
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

West Africa has first-ever case of Marburg virus, confirmed this morning by the WHO:
Marburg, which is in the same family as the virus that causes Ebola, was detected less than two months after Guinea declared an end to an Ebola outbreak that erupted earlier this year. Samples taken from a now-deceased patient and tested by a field laboratory in Gueckedou as well as Guinea’s national haemorrhagic fever laboratory turned out positive for the Marburg virus. Further analysis by the Institut Pasteur in Senegal confirmed the result.
Details:
Marburg is transmitted to people from fruit bats and spreads among humans through direct contact with the bodily fluids of infected people, surfaces and materials.

Illness begins abruptly, with high fever, severe headache and malaise. Many patients develop severe haemorrhagic signs within seven days. Case fatality rates have varied from 24% to 88% in past outbreaks depending on virus strain and case management.

Although there are no vaccines or antiviral treatments approved to treat the virus, supportive care – rehydration with oral or intravenous fluids – and treatment of specific symptoms, improves survival. A range of potential treatments, including blood products, immune therapies and drug therapies, are being evaluated.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

And God said "You shall not touch fruit bats."
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
stessier

Post by stessier »

Don't think I saw this one posted yet - 4 people in 4 different states get deadly bacteria from South Asia without ever leaving the US.
A fourth person in a fourth US state has mysteriously contracted a deadly South Asian bacterium without leaving the continental US, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported Monday.

Two of the four cases have been fatal, including the latest one identified in Georgia late last month during a post-mortem exam.

CDC investigators determined that all four cases are connected and they suspect a so-far-unknown imported product may be to blame. The CDC had released an advisory on June 30 about the three earlier cases.

The first case was identified in an adult in Kansas in March, which was also fatal. In May, investigators identified a case in a 4-year-old Texas girl and another case in an adult in Minnesota. Both of those patients were hospitalized for extended periods before being released to transitional care facilities. The young girl in Texas reportedly suffered brain damage from the infection.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

dbt1949 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:37 pm And God said "You shall not touch fruit bats."
Licking's not touching.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

stessier wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:34 am Don't think I saw this one posted yet - 4 people in 4 different states get deadly bacteria from South Asia without ever leaving the US.
It was a few posts up. I didn't realize there was another new case found and this article is much more interesting than the CDC alert I posted back in July, regardless. :D
stessier

Post by stessier »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:07 am
stessier wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:34 am Don't think I saw this one posted yet - 4 people in 4 different states get deadly bacteria from South Asia without ever leaving the US.
It was a few posts up. I didn't realize there was another new case found and this article is much more interesting than the CDC alert I posted back in July, regardless. :D
Doh - I read "Whitmore's disease" and then didn't read the block quote when scanning back!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
stessier

Post by stessier »

This is why we do the studies!
“It all started with an enquiry from a nurse,” Dr Karl Kruszelnicki told listeners to his science phone-in show on the Triple J radio station in Brisbane. “She wanted to know whether she was contaminating the operating theatre she worked in by quietly farting in the sterile environment during operations, and I realised that I didn't know. But I was determined to find out.”