Pictures and Videos for R&P

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

hepcat

Re: Pictures and Videos for R&P

Post by hepcat »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:04 am I didn't say they were targeting each other because of those issues. I said that they were full of frustration and anger because of those issues. The steak was just the excuse for that one guy, and that one guy was apparently the excuse for the rest of the dining room.

And yes, he was an asshole. Was he before things got this way?
As I said, politics aside, assholes ain't a new thing.
He won. Period.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:23 am Re-written Maus comic
In reaction to the banning (#3 and 4 (Maus 2) on Amazon charts):
Enlarge Image

And #1 on the Amazon charts?

Enlarge Image
:doh:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:35 am
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:04 am I didn't say they were targeting each other because of those issues. I said that they were full of frustration and anger because of those issues. The steak was just the excuse for that one guy, and that one guy was apparently the excuse for the rest of the dining room.

And yes, he was an asshole. Was he before things got this way?
As I said, politics aside, assholes ain't a new thing.
I never claimed that there weren't always assholes. I said that the mechanism that turns people into assholes has been cranked up to 11. It's resulting previously non-rectal people acting like assholes. A lot. A couple of people fighting about a steak is normal. Pulling 40 other random people into it and having a barroom brawl at Golden Corral is the 2020s. There is a lot out there - as other people have mentioned - to back up the idea that we're living in an era of extreme anger, hatred, and violence.

But we may just have to agree to disagree.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Where also living in an era where every fracas and screaming kook is filmed, amplified, and viewed by millions.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:01 am Pulling 40 other random people into it and having a barroom brawl at Golden Corral is the 2020s. There is a lot out there - as other people have mentioned - to back up the idea that we're living in an era of extreme anger, hatred, and violence.
There's even more prior to 2020. A simple news search proves that.

But yes, we'll have to agree to disagree as I just don't see it being any worse now in situations like this. Although the media does like to associate it more often with the current political/societal clime these days.
He won. Period.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm on Blackhawk's side here. I don't see how it can be argued that the stress of 2 years of pandemic, rising costs of everything, travel issues, and global shortages have had no impact on stress levels. There have been multiple articles about it.

Heck, just look at airline incidents recently. 5700 cases reported last year compared to a typical year of 100-150, as reported by CNBC. It's quantifiable.

I'm not saying the steakhouse incident wouldn't have occurred prior to 2020. But to pretend anger levels are "typical" these days doesn't really match up to the data.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:00 pm I'm on Blackhawk's side here.
Nonsense, complete and utter nonsense!

Blackhawk and YellowKing vs. me and hepcat. Tomorrow, Golden Corral. We just need 36 other OOers to solve this in a barbaric manner. Just as we would have in 2018.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

/D&D: “I casually pick up a chair and put my back against a wall.”
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I'm with Yellowking and hepcat.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I’m already looking forward to the post-brawl, “Anchorman” style debrief.

“Yeah. There were horses and a man on fire. And I killed a guy with a trident.”

“I pushed the soft serve ice cream machine over on someone and crushed them like a bug”.
malchior

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:07 pm

Blackhawk and YellowKing vs. me and hepcat. Tomorrow, Golden Corral. We just need 36 other OOers to solve this in a barbaric manner. Just as we would have in 2018.
It's on - I recommend re-creating the incipient event which was the true root cause. They ordered their steaks wrong in the first place - rare and well-done?! Sheesh.
malchior

Post by malchior »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:00 pmI'm not saying the steakhouse incident wouldn't have occurred prior to 2020. But to pretend anger levels are "typical" these days doesn't really match up to the data.
Yeah it is surging in line with what it was for a long time. Was it absolutely worse in the past? Sure, crime was worse way back when in the 60s for instance. However, we saw the societal pressures in 2019 have a blowtorch applied to them by the pandemic and people are just snapping.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Good luck quantifying how many people are simmering just beneath the surface, ready to explode, and how much.

Some things can’t be measured, and anecdotal evidence is all we got.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

I like my steak well done. So the first one who orders rare can expect a chair upside their head.
And God help the soul that takes the last olives from the salad bar.
Last edited by stimpy on Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Some of the statistics quoted elsewhere are other-than-anecdotal.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:07 pm

What kind of meat dish will there be? That will be a huge factor in my reaction.
stimpy wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:18 pm I like my steak well done. So the first one who orders rare can expect a chair upside their head.
And God help the soul that takes the last olives from the salad bar.
Anyone who eats a steak above medium rare should be taken out into a field and shot. This is a fact that cannot be argued.
Last edited by hepcat on Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

stimpy wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:18 pm And God help the soul that takes the last olives from the salad bar.
I just want fresh croutons. There has never been a problem salad supply shortages since the last time I went to a salad bar but if there are no croutons or they haven't been freshly made, that's my tipping point.

Oh, and rare is the only way to eat steak. I'd still eat a burger between rare and medium rare if it were reasonable to do so. So I guess I'm stuck fighting whether I want to or not.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

"Fresh" croutons? The whole point of croutons is that they're stale bread, dude.
LordMortis wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:25 pm
Oh, and rare is the only way to eat steak.
You may live.
He won. Period.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

My best friend likes his steak rare. He tells the waiter to just walk it past the oven.
Me on the other hand tells the waiter I should have called ahead in order to get mine going.
It's always a test of the chefs skill to see who gets their steak the way they want it.
Almost always get one of the 2 wrong.
That's why when we find a place that gets both right, we usually stick to that place.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

stimpy wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:36 pm My best friend likes his steak rare. He tells the waiter to just walk it past the oven.
Me on the other hand tells the waiter I should have called ahead in order to get mine going.
It's always a test of the chefs skill to see who gets their steak the way they want it.
That's why when we find a place that gets both right, we usually stick to that place.
I'ma assume it's the rare that always gets screwed. If it gets done too quick it sits under the heat lamp and continues to slowly cook, waiting for the other meat to turn to charcoal. Fortunately, a medium rare steak is still edible though depending on the quality I might want to put something on it to make it better, like gravy or onions or mushrooms or something. Mix it in bite by bite with a potato.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:38 pm
stimpy wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:36 pm My best friend likes his steak rare. He tells the waiter to just walk it past the oven.
I'ma assume it's the rare that always gets screwed. If it gets done too quick it sits under the heat lamp and continues to slowly cook, waiting for the other meat to turn to charcoal. Fortunately, a medium rare steak is still edible though depending on the quality I might want to put something on it to make it better, like gravy or onions or mushrooms or something. Mix it in bite by bite with a potato.
Honestly it's usually mine that is under cooked.
I think the reason being is I can always send it back. I usually dont, unless it's much too pink.
If rare is overdone, you're stuck.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

What time would you like me to pick you up for the trip to the field?
He won. Period.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

hepcat wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:45 pm What time would you like me to pick you up for the trip to the field?
Do you order a side of antibiotics to go with your salmonella?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:24 pm Anyone who eats a steak above medium rare should be taken out into a field and shot. This is a fact that cannot be argued.
See there? I agree. Completely. I like mine on the rare side of medium rare.

Ok, fight's off. YK, put down the booster chair. I guess we can get along after all.

Now, pass the A1.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'll put down my booster chair when hepcat puts down that rolled up Final Girl playmat he's been swinging at me!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

stimpy wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:50 pm
hepcat wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:45 pm What time would you like me to pick you up for the trip to the field?
Do you order a side of antibiotics to go with your salmonella?
Wimp. I laugh at such things. Those of us who eat their beef like God intended swagger through life knowing we're the chosen people. I'd feel pity for creatures like you if I weren't so preoccupied with my one man show, "The Meat Monologues".
He won. Period.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

You're not getting salmonella through rare steak. The bacteria that causes issues with beef lives on the surface, and when you cook the surface the bacteria are killed. It's different for burgers, because the surface bacteria get mixed into the entire burger during the grinding of the beef.

Of course, IANAS_B
That's my purse! I don't know you!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:20 pm Of course, IANAS_B
:D

That needs to become part of the OO lexicon.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:20 pm You're not getting salmonella through rare steak. The bacteria that causes issues with beef lives on the surface, and when you cook the surface the bacteria are killed. It's different for burgers, because the surface bacteria get mixed into the entire burger during the grinding of the beef.

Of course, IANAS_B
I miss rare burgers. Although at this age with my health, sometimes six months will go by where I miss burgers.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

stimpy wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:42 pm
I think the reason being is I can always send it back. I usually dont, unless it's much too pink.
Having worked in a kitchen I can tell you well done always gets the shittiest cut of meat, and rare the best. Even if you don't like rare, the best strategy is to order it and send it back for more cooking.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:03 pm
Having worked in a kitchen I can tell you well done always gets the shittiest cut of meat, and rare the best. Even if you don't like rare, the best strategy is to order it and send it back for more cooking.
Having worked in a kitchen, isnt it an insult to the chef to send something back? That's what I've always heard and thought. Of course you hear the rumors to what is done to orders sent back.
I did have the chef at Mortons come out to the table and basically tell me it was an insult to him to order well done and to trust him.
I did and it was fine. I've had others tell me they had to butterfly the steak to accommodate well done.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

stimpy wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:10 pm
Jaymann wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:03 pm
Having worked in a kitchen, isnt it an insult to the chef to send something back? That's what I've always heard and thought. Of course you hear the rumors to what is done to orders sent back.
I did have the chef at Mortons come out to the table and basically tell me it was an insult to him to order well done and to trust him.
I did and it was fine. I've had others tell me they had to butterfly the steak to accommodate well done.
IMO that chef is an asshole. I suppose there are certain elaborate dishes that could be insulting to send back, but steak ain't one of them. You can also phrase it such as: I changed my mind, would like it cooked a little more. And yes, the butterfly is a great way to take a rare steak to medium rare. I think the chef's job is too make sure the customer enjoys their meal.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:00 pm Now, pass the A1.
Now you've gone too far.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

One of my friends from college had sort of mentored chef Rick Gresh when they were young chefs in training back in Ohio. They maintained a friendship over the years, so when my friend came out to visit years ago, he got us comped meals at (the now closed) David Burke's Primehouse in downtown Chicago where he was at that time head chef. After the meal, he took us to the aging room to see where they dry aged all the beef. As there was, at any given time, over 100 grand in beef hanging in the place, it had a biometric security lock. So we felt like we were in a James Bond movie.

Seeing all that aged beef hanging everywhere, it was tough not to just grab a whole side and make a mad dash for the door.

At one point, my friend noticed I was preparing to strip down and just roll naked across all that glorious beef and stopped me just in time...unfortunately.
He won. Period.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:33 pm
Now you've gone too far.
Yup. When the brawlin' starts, that's a bottle of A1 straight to Blackhawk's noggin. PREPARE YO'SELF, FOOL!!!!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:19 pm Some of the statistics quoted elsewhere are other-than-anecdotal.
But they aren't measuring "simmer", they are measuring things that happen after that point.

I don't think even a survey trying to measure that would be very accurate....a lot of this stuff (my theory) is pent up anger, rage, whatever you want to call it. It probably also is an ugly something MOST people don't want to admit to carrying around. Obviously some people wear it like a badge of honor, so operative word there is "most". It's the people who are otherwise "very fine folk", who have never had a history of anger issues, etc etc. In my view, it's THOSE people we need to worry about, who are on the breaking point.

EDIT: this post is hilarious considering my previous post - hope no one just pops into these forums and starts reading out of order!
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Holman

Post by Holman »

hepcat wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:07 pm At one point, my friend noticed I was preparing to strip down and just roll naked across all that glorious beef and stopped me just in time...unfortunately.
"Waiter, tell the chef this steak needs more Hepcat."
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol:
He won. Period.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:51 pm
coopasonic wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:33 pm
Now you've gone too far.
Yup. When the brawlin' starts, that's a bottle of A1 straight to Blackhawk's noggin. PREPARE YO'SELF, FOOL!!!!
And well-deserved. Blackhawk, why don't you just douse that excellent medium rare steak with ketchup and mayo while you're at it???
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:58 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:19 pm Some of the statistics quoted elsewhere are other-than-anecdotal.
But they aren't measuring "simmer", they are measuring things that happen after that point.
True, but that's like smelling rain, seeing puddles, and having drops hit your head and assuming it's raining. True, it could be a broken water main, but it probably isn't.

Human psychology works a certain way, and it is (when averaged over a population), somewhat predictable. If decent people are suddenly snapping, and the evidence of anger is on the rise - violent incidents, people with no history of anger issue are losing it on airplanes and to staff, increases in violent crimes, etc, then I don't think that it's unreasonable to conclude that it isn't a handful of people that are suddenly going off the deep end and the rest are unaffected. It isn't a weird spike in X% of the population, it is a curve, just like it always has been.

So, no - there is no direct evidence that people are 'simmering', no surveys, people aren't all suddenly admitting it (now I feel odd having just done so, but still.) But it smells like rain and there are puddles.