[Adult Swim] Rick and Morty

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Re: [Adult Swim] Rick and Morty

Post by ImLawBoy »

Any potential issues I might have had with the voices is outweighed by setting it to Ace of Spades.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Sometimes they sounded just right, sometimes they sounded not so right. Morty ends up easier for me not hear because his voice morphed thorughout the series to my ears. The only thing that morphed with Rick was he stopped the weird belching affectation. No matter close enough for me not be distracted at least from the trailer.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:04 pm The only thing that morphed with Rick was he stopped the weird belching affectation.
Good catch. I didn’t notice that. But to be honest, I always thought Justin went a little overboard on that, so it’s kind of a plus for me.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It works, but I'm less worried about the voices than I am about the improv.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I noticed them being slightly off but it doesn't bother me at all. If I can survive Becky being replaced on Roseanne, I can survive this.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:06 pm If I can survive Becky being replaced on Roseanne, I can survive this.
Not so much for me but then I didn't really watch Rosanne anyway. I didn't like the mercenary actor change in Game of Thrones either. There have been others but they don't come to mind. It's easier in cartoons but not so easy that you can be negligent. I mentioned in Random Randomness, I've been watching Bleach and about 60 episodes in they changed Chip's voice and it's a total distraction.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:37 pm It works, but I'm less worried about the voices than I am about the improv.
It'll still suck...as does 98 percent of all improv.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Just a quick reminder, S7 starts tonight @ 11pm EST on Adult Swim.
Rick and Morty: Season will include 10 episodes. New episodes debut on Adult Swim each Sunday from October 15 to December 17. Here are the episode titles and current release schedule for Season 7:

Episode 1 – "How Poopy Got His Poop Back" (October 15)
Episode 2 – "The Jerrick Trap" (October 22)
Episode 3 – "Air Force Wong" (October 29)
Episode 4 – "That's Amorte" (November 5)
Episode 5 – "Unmortricken" (November 12)
Episode 6 – "Rickfending Your Mort" (November 19)
Episode 7 – "Wet Kuat Amortican Summer" (November 26)
Episode 8 – "Rise of the Numbericons: The Movie (December 3)
Episode 9 – "Mort: Ragnarick" (December 10)
Episode 10 – "Fear No Mort" (December 17)
Allegedly coming to Max and Hulu at some point in the future (just like the older seasons), but no idea when.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Let’s post pictures of each other watching the premiere while dressed as Mrs. Roper….
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Ah good, that gives me a reason to fire up YTTV and see what my virtual has VCR slurped up since WWDITS ended. I'll bet there's more Archer beyond the couple of episodes I watched, too. I've only been watching Babylon 5, Red Dwarf, and iZombie.

Speaking of broadcast/cable TV, does anyone know if Resident Alien is ever going to come back?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Next year at the earliest.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

New voice acting is distracting for me. I hope I get over it. OTOH, I'm enjoying Krapopolis. Especially with the Apple or Onion doing the main character's voice.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That's so weird. I really didn't notice it. Wayne sounded a little different, but I honestly couldn't hear anything that distracted me.

That said, I'm not sure it was a great episode overall. I'm hoping it was just a weird one off and next week they're back to the goods.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:36 pm New voice acting is distracting for me. I hope I get over it. OTOH, I'm enjoying Krapopolis. Especially with the Apple or Onion doing the main character's voice.
I’m the exact opposite. The new voices for R&M sound almost identical to the previous ones, and Krapopulis has yet to make me chuckle.
He won. Period.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Voices seemed a bit off to me, but in the way that plant-based pepperoni on my pizza is distracting. I get hung up on the fact that it's not meat, but when I stop paying attention to it, it tastes fine.

The episode's plot I didn't find that clever or funny however.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, story wise, it felt weak. It was like watching an AI interpretation of what it thought Rick and Morty should be. The ingredients were there, but it felt like the wrong measurements. I fear that if Harmon and Rolland aren’t in the kitchen whipping this up together, it’s just not going to work.

I will say the one voice I did find distractingly different was poopybutt.
He won. Period.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:38 am I will say the one voice I did find distractingly different was poopybutt.
That was the big one that called attention to the others. This is why I hope I can get over it. Without Mr Poopybutt I hope I can settle in to the minor differences in R&M.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

hepcat wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:38 am I fear that if Harmon and Rolland aren’t in the kitchen whipping this up together, it’s just not going to work.
Wasn't Roiland said to have been minimally involved creatively in recent years?

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Wow, if true, that gives me hope that this may have just been a bad episode and not a sign of creative decline then!

p.s. I've watched Koala Man (it's on Hulu). You can definitely tell Rolland isn't involved in that. It's goofy, sometimes edgy fun but it has a heart. Rolland seems to love cruelty in his humor to a distracting degree at times. I would recommend it if you go into it not expecting big belly laughs.
LordMortis wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:44 am
hepcat wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:38 am I will say the one voice I did find distractingly different was poopybutt.
That was the big one that called attention to the others. This is why I hope I can get over it. Without Mr Poopybutt I hope I can settle in to the minor differences in R&M.
He's a character that shows up once every two years for an episode. I got over it 2 minutes after the episode ended as I know I won't have to deal with it again for a long time.
He won. Period.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I enjoyed this episode a lot more than this season's first, but I found it didn't live up to the promise of its hilarious cold open. I was expecting to see what a Rick with a heart looked like, but still mad. And a Jerry with an intellect, but still a weakling. Instead we mostly got a blending of both characters who realize their similarities, which is a plot that definitely has its moments, but I think the implication of my previous thought or that of the post-credits scene are far more fun. Not to mention the concept is just confusing: "my mind in your brain". But that's kind of the point. It's a logical deconstruction of the Freaky Friday trope. Overall, I enjoyed it!

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I liked it more than the first episode of the season. The voices felt on spot for the entire episode too. But I still struggle with the knowledge that Harmon and Rolland aren't really a part of the show, and it's creating a false narrative in my head that it's suffering because of that; when as you clearly pointed out earlier, neither has really been that involved in the show for quite a long time. It's all in my head, but I can't get out of there to see it with unbiased eyes. :?
He won. Period.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Harmon hasn't been showrunner since season four but he still oversees the writing room from what I understand. But I really don't have great knowledge of the show. But if the show was inconsistently good for the past couple seasons I don't see why it can't continue to be. Though most shows are certainly well past their prime by this point.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

As I mentioned, the issue is entirely in my head, I'm sure. As are the voices telling me that the world's teddy bears are plotting to kill me.
He won. Period.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

This week's episode (s07e03) was enjoyable enough. I'm not as interested in revisiting old/recurring characters, though some of them have their charm. But I hope this season treads some new ground.

Spoiler:
It seems like we may be moving toward wrapping up the main plot thread. Only hints so far. I'm trying to decide whether that would be a relief, or if it would be the series's downfall as there isn't a new arc that would suit Rick. But something is needed, because I think the show is starting to feel stale to me, like most other adult comedies (or shows in general) past their prime. I dunno. Maybe it's just my frame of mind after this week's episode. Rick seems to be mellowing a bit (or at least these past two episodes have put him in the position of doing so), so at least that shows some ongoing character development. But it's obvious any chance at happiness or relief is just going to be ripped away from him in the short term, which I'm sure is also setup to show him at his darkest again. But we haven't really hit the meat of this season yet, so who knows what's to come. Hopefully we get some really inventive MOTW episodes along the way.

This was another Morty-light episode. It seems kind of weird.

I officially can't tell the difference between Rick's old and new voice at this point, so there's that.

B-

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I enjoyed this episode, though it felt a bit like it was tying up loose ends (Rick's issues) with the main story arc. I was also surprised Morty wasn't in it very much, but the little he was in I thought his voice sounded noticeably different. I don't suppose it's possible they had (and used) Roiland's voice for the first episode and are now slowly transitioning into the new voice actors? I don't really care, but I can say Ep3 was the first time Morty sounded off to me. Rick still sounds like Rick.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It definitely felt more like a "classic R&M episode" to me than the previous ones. The absurd scenarios (the loch ness monster bit), the rivalry between the president and the Rick, etc.. They were all there.
He won. Period.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

S7E4 "That's Amorte" is exactly the episode I wanted. Edgy, morally complex, and hilarious right from the cold open. Distilling a complex issue down to its bare horrific realities in twenty-two minutes. Morty and his bleeding heart return. There's so much kicking around here, and I found it especially meaningful as these are questions I've been spending a lot of mental capital on recently. I find it odd that this is one of the few series in which I generally much prefer the standalone episodes. Maybe others tire of the "Morty indirectly causes catastrophe" structure of episodes like this, but to me it's almost always done in such a fresh way that it doesn't bother me.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Episode 5 is being called a series high point by a lot of critics. I enjoyed it, and it did things in an unexpected manner, which I've come to consider a selling point for the series for me. But I'm still not laughing as much as I have with previous seasons. I don't know if it's because the asides seem less clever (it was always the tossed out asides that mixed references to both pop culture and more intellectual endeavors that made me laugh the most)/less frequent, or if I'm just being unfair because there's been a change behind the scenes (as inconsequential as that might be) and my brain hates change when it comes to things I love.

In any case, this is still a far better situation to be in than if the show just outright sucked and added an Oliver out of the blue.

He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Ep5 was definitely pretty heavy, with respect the the entire point of the show and a rather big character element. I'll be curious to see where they pick up this week and if it changes the overall arc of the story.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, it's going to get strange now that a certain someone has fulfilled their life goal. We saw at the end of that episode that it isn't going well. I also liked the mid credit scene with Mrs. Mobius that shows what could have been Rick's life had Rick been able to move on.
Last edited by hepcat on Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

It's weird for it to be over. I assume this would be one of the last two episodes of the season, but happy for this to be subverted if interesting stuff is coming.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Ok, so that was the transition - the (not a) clip show. :) I enjoyed it and the premise.

Also, if you want to read up on the new voice actors, there's a piece in the Hollywood Reporter:
“It’s been super surreal waking up every day,” Belden says. “For the first month [after landing the role], I genuinely kept asking my girlfriend if that had really happened, if I was indeed the new Morty. So, to keep having that realization that, ‘Yes, this is real, that you are playing a character you’ve watched and loved for years and been a huge fan of,’ is indescribable, and brings such joy.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Can't say I really enjoyed the last two weeks (Ep6: Wet Kuat Amortican Summer; Ep7:Rise of the Numbericons: The Movie). Ep7 from last night in particular just felt...flat to me. Like they thought they had a good idea and they should turn it into an entire episode. Ep6 started off with a cool premise, but then it shifted gears into something I wasn't expecting. Anyway, I think there are three episodes left, so I'm hoping it finishes strong...
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:48 am Can't say I really enjoyed the last two weeks (Ep6: Wet Kuat Amortican Summer; Ep7:Rise of the Numbericons: The Movie). Ep7 from last night in particular just felt...flat to me. Like they thought they had a good idea and they should turn it into an entire episode. Ep6 started off with a cool premise, but then it shifted gears into something I wasn't expecting. Anyway, I think there are three episodes left, so I'm hoping it finishes strong...
I liked the Kuato episode a lot. It was all about dumb jokes for lat 90s action flicks. Some of it was predictably dumb but not enough to care about. It was the first episode that Morty's VA wasn't a distraction for me.

I haven't watched last night's episode. I'm sure I'll make time for it today sometime. Yay for them not turning off my cable six months after I cancelled it. Not sure when they will evaluate my service and then I work off 100s of hours of TiVo I haven't watched before retiring TiVo. It's gotta happen sometime. Then I might subscribe to a streaming service, which I hear they are planning putting in commercials for and bundling in to larger services...
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m actually loving the show lately. It feels like classic R&M now…and I mean first two or three seasons R&M. I laughed way too much at the Numericons episode. Especially Morty’s constant side questions and comments as this episode’s “background character”.
You’d think that guy’s cousin would stop taking his calls.

Why bed time?

Wow, things don’t usually resolve this fast. We’re making good time.
He won. Period.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I haven't enjoyed the last couple episodes either, but there are always some plots that miss the mark for me. There were still some good jokes and character interactions. Which reminds me, I like that there's actual character development in this show, even when it's not at the forefront of the shenanigans.

I have little interest the show when Rick's not in it though. I wondered whether the "Lithium P" joke had anything to do with medicinal lithium causing nocturia as a side effect. When I was on it I would get up to urinate eight times a night sometimes. It was hell.

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Man, the show was back with a creative, hilarious episode this week. I'm always amazed how much they pack into 22 minutes. It feels incredibly fresh when many of the good episodes morph into something completely different than you'd expect.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, I really liked it. The season started off a bit shaky, but it seems to have found its way again the last 2 or 3 episodes.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The last one was definitely more enjoyable and had that special over-the-top randomness that I like the most from the show.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:02 am
Smoove_B wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:48 am Can't say I really enjoyed the last two weeks (Ep6: Wet Kuat Amortican Summer; Ep7:Rise of the Numbericons: The Movie). Ep7 from last night in particular just felt...flat to me. Like they thought they had a good idea and they should turn it into an entire episode. Ep6 started off with a cool premise, but then it shifted gears into something I wasn't expecting. Anyway, I think there are three episodes left, so I'm hoping it finishes strong...
I liked the Kuato episode a lot. It was all about dumb jokes for lat 90s action flicks. Some of it was predictably dumb but not enough to care about. It was the first episode that Morty's VA wasn't a distraction for me.
Side note: I can KIND Of hear the difference now after a half dozen or so episodes between Roland's Morty and Belden's Morty. But it's so minor I don't find it distracting.
He won. Period.