2024 Fundraising - $0 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Books Read 2014

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Rumpy

Re: Books Read 2014

Post by Rumpy »

Jeff V wrote:
Bad Demographic wrote: Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton – we listened to this to and from Octocon. It was pirates in the Caribbean – oh wait – not pirates but privateers. Good swashbuckling fun. I guess if you like Crichton you’ll like this. 5 out of 8.
Nope, I like Crichton but this book was obviously underdeveloped and not nearly as entertaining as every other book of his that I've read. It might be a 5/8 on the Crichton fanboy scale -- for the rest, it's just not good.

It came out right after his death. Yeah, I felt it was underdeveloped too, but from what I understood it was one of those that had been laying around that he never intended to be published, and the estate tried to get in packaged into a publishable form.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

Finished The Martian by Andy Weir - Awesome book! Thank you everyone for giving the good reviews to push me into reading it.
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

Finished Prince of Fools by Mark Lawerence - While I really enjoyed his previous series this one starts off the new series pretty meh. Lot's of travelling with nothing going on in between. The main character is the anti-Jorg so if he put you off from the other series you may want to give this one a shot.
J.D.

Post by J.D. »

New Jack Reacher out today. Whooooo!
Odin

Post by Odin »

I've discovered the Dresden Files books and I'm enjoying the hell out of them. They're quick reads and not the deepest, most philosophical novels on the planet, but the main character cracks me up which counts for a lot, and they're entertaining as heck. Anyway, I'm about to finish the sixth book and I'm still hooked.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The Venetian Betrayal by Steve Berry :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky:

After some disappointment with book 2 of the Cotton Malone series, I was glad to see more historical fiction back into the story on this, the third book. It helps that the historical subject was one of my favorites: Alexander the Great. Part of the story line includes the 2000-year mystery of what became of his body.

Cotton's friend Henryk watches his Copenhagen museum burned by what turns out to be "Greek fire", the medieval weapon whose recipe was lost after the fall of the Byzantine Empire. Henryk had the foresight to remove his priceless artifacts and replace everything with counterfeits, so aside from the building, nothing was actually lost. It turns out that this arson was connected to the leader of the Central Asian Republic, a fictional coalition of all of the 'stans (Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, etc.) She is collecting "Elephant medallions" of which 8 are known to exist. These coins were minted after Alexander the Great's victories in Indian, commemorating the extent of his empire. The medallions, however, have a microengraving that point to a secret the chairwoman is intent on uncovering.

Meanwhile, an intersecting story line includes a shadow group called the Venetian League. A group of rich illuminati, they exert influence throughout the world. One of these are working on a cure for AIDS, of interest to the chairwoman after a former lover is found to have the disease.

On to book 4!
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Finished The Flatey Enigma by Viktor Ingolffsson

The story is a bit of murder mystery enhanced by a lore, a curse, and a puzzle that has lasted ages. The Icelandic names and the slow beginning made the story drag, but the ending was worth it, as there was red herrings EVERYWHERE near the end, but enough clues planted beforehand that everything DID make sense.

A young bureaucrat was told to go to Flatey Island and be a bureaucrat for a few months, when a body was discovered nearby on another island, a skeleton really, down to the bones. Then it was realized this is a famous professor who may have disappeared last fall after he came through the Island. When the victim's identity was discovered, a reporter arrived on the scene, only to be found dead and horribly mutilated 2 days later, in the cemetery. Are their deaths related to the "Flatey Enigma", a puzzle and possibly a curse connected to the "Flatey Book"? Who could have been responsible? Are the deaths connected? What secrets could the victims been hiding? Who killed them? Could it be the doctor? Her dying father? The young bureaucrat? The 3 generations of seal hunters? Teacher? Mayor? Their wives? Or others? What secrets are these people hiding?

As a murder mystery, this is very nicely plotted, with the layers peeled back one at a time, making you wonder about each of your previous assumptions and flip them upside down. It is a bit reminiscent of Agatha Christie, though the cast of characters can be a bit confusing as there's not a single narrator or consistent viewpoint, but rather, the novel is omniscient as you shift from one "scene" to another. If you can deal with that, you will enjoy the book.

6 out of 8 tentacles.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

If You Ask Me: (And of Course You Won't) by Betty White :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky:

Not too many of us make it into our 90's, let alone doing so at the top of our game. Granted, Betty White wrote this book when she was a spritely 89, but it was still amazing to hear her lecture about success -- and how her greatest fear is screwing things up when they are going as good as ever before. For someone who had a long, successful show biz career, the notion that the "golden years" have been the best for this lone surviving Golden Girl is a testament to her strength and continued wit.

If you're looking for an acerbic Betty White from some of the TV comedy specials, you'll be a little disappointed (frankly, I think this is what I was expecting). Here we have some recent memoirs from an icon, as well as some insight as to what it's like to be an elderly star. We learn, for instance, one of her fears is that she will die and leave her study a complete mess.

We hear stories about others, too...nothing particularly juicy. One gets the impression she would join you for a beer if you just ask, and would probably be endlessly entertaining with her reserve of stories. It was a cute book; if you like Betty, you learn more anecdotes about her by reading this book. She is still quite sharp with a charming, if not acerbic, sense of humor.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The Quickie by James Patterson :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky:

A NYC homicide detective tries to surprise her Wall Street husband for lunch -- and finds him with a fetching young blonde. Things have not been going well between them lately, and she figures this is why. She decides to counter with an affair of her own -- a fellow cop. But things go awry when her husband confronts the cop...and later the cop winds up dead. Oddly, he then becomes the perfect husband along with an exciting promotion that would allow them to live in their dream house.

As it happens, Lauren is assigned as the lead investigator. She is in a position to cover for her husband....at great effort. Meanwhile, the investigation happens to turn up the perfect stooge -- a drug dealer with a history of trying to kill a cop that was being investigated by the dead officer. During his apprehension, he succumbs to lead poisoning inflicted by her partner. But also she quite accidently leaves the dead dealer in possession of the cop's murder weapon (his own firearm). All neat and clean, right?

Well, not exactly.

Every time Lauren thinks she's clear, another person, another loose end pops up. She still never confronted her husband about the murder, but he had told her the blonde was a recruiter who offered him a job at three times his current salary. Lauren bought it....but husband Paul still has more secrets that she uncovers when unknown DNA from the cop killing crime scene is a match from a robbery five years earlier in Washington DC. And then she begins to learn the whole truth of her husband.

For Lauren to not only survive the travails of this story but to come out on top requires, quite frankly, an unbelievable string of good fortune. The book is well written though, the tension palpable throughout. The ending was not unpredictable, but the path there was convoluted and full of surprises.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The Unenviable: Stories of Psychological Trauma and Hardship among Immigrants and their Families by David G. Mirich Ph.D. :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky:

If you think immigration reform is a partisan issue that can be ignored, this book should change your mind. If it doesn't, you are probably an emotionally-challenged, not quite human being.

Dr. David Mirich is a psychologist routinely called to be an expert witness during immigration hearings. His profession requires he report his findings dispassionately, and in this book, he lets his clients tell their own stories with a little personal commentary afterward. Not all of the stories have happy endings, and some simply fall of his radar and in the commentary he expresses his hopes for a desirable outcome.

The stories include situations where children are involved (or individuals who came here illegally as infants). They also include spousal abuse (both men and women performing the abuse), war refugees, and those seeking political asylum. There are also medical needs cases -- people who undoubtedly not survive if deprived of treatments that can't be had in their own country.

Some of the most stunning tales came from Central America, where individuals from war torn countries like Honduras and El Salvador endured horrific conditions sometimes for years before deciding fleeing their homeland was their only hope of survival. One young man, as a boy, watched his father be executed by insurgents who afterward enlisted the boy as a messenger under extreme duress. Gangs, police, even the military are threats to citizens in some countries, and if such refugees are returned, they await certain death at the hands of their tormentors (most which assume having come from the US they are now wealthy, which is certainly not the case). In at least once case recounted by Mirich this indeed happened.

I wasn't keeping score -- but of the 33 cases covered in this book, it seemed like those stemming from Europe or Asia were more successful than those from Central America although the stakes appeared to be less. It's not surprising, as Hispanics represent the bulk of illegal immigration. Still, it seemed as if there is some judicial prejudice that are extra harsh against Hispanics.

In conclusion, Mirich does reveal an emotional stance when it comes to imprisoning those awaiting immigration hearings. Mothers are separated from their children, these expense to imprison these people far outweigh the likelihood of them being a flight risk. None of those described in this book were criminals or posed any sort of threat - all had a desire to become legal residents, although many did not have the means. I know from experience that the immigration process is especially hard on poor -- which is why there are so many poor illegals.

In the course of reading this book, the possibility of immigration reform -- something Obama rode to victory last election, was all but quashed for the duration of his administration. The Hispanics came out and rocked the vote in hopes it would happen this time, they need to identify those responsible for the failure (not Obama, but he opposing party) and get those obstacles out of office.
Black Lives Matter
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

Finished Spell or High Water by Scott Meyer - Second book in his series. It's a decent comic read. He does a good job with the side portion of the story with Jimmy and the FBI agents.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Just finishing Republic of Thieves, Scott Lynch's continued adventures of Locke Lamora and The Gentlemen Bastards. Really enjoying it. The first two books are quite dark and while this one has its dark moments, its more fun. From the roots of Lockes relationship with Sabetha to a grand scheme to rig an election with Sabetha as his adversary, its two stories in one. If youve read the first two, I think youll enjoy this one as well.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Finished A Crucible of Souls by Mitchell Hogan. An orphan is accepted into a sorceror’s academy. Due to his low birth, he is not made welcome by the other students who are children of wealthy parents. Soon he must make his way in the world and finds that he has talents that are rare and a mystery to him.

I found it hard to get into this book for the first half of it. It had quite a few clichés, such as the “chosen one” type of orphan going through the academy. However, once it started rolling it became a real page turner. I’d recommend this book and will soon be reading the second book of the series.
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

Finished Lock In by John Scalzi - The premise of the book is awesome and the story is good up until the ending. It's a futuristic FBI detective story concerning people who are 'locked in' to their bodies due to a virus. Scalzi did a lot research concerning the virus and transmission and the challenges of governments reacting to millions of locked in people but the main focus story is just ok. The ending is too clean, cliched and cute.
J.D.

Post by J.D. »

Follett's third and final book in the Century Trilogy is out this week ("Edge of Eternity") so this is what I'll be reading next. I'm actually going to a presentation/Q&A/book signing tonight in Toronto to see Follett in person. Should be a neat experience. I've never met an author before so have no idea what to expect at these things.
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

McNutt wrote:Finished A Crucible of Souls by Mitchell Hogan. An orphan is accepted into a sorceror’s academy. Due to his low birth, he is not made welcome by the other students who are children of wealthy parents. Soon he must make his way in the world and finds that he has talents that are rare and a mystery to him.

I found it hard to get into this book for the first half of it. It had quite a few clichés, such as the “chosen one” type of orphan going through the academy. However, once it started rolling it became a real page turner. I’d recommend this book and will soon be reading the second book of the series.
Hey, I tried reading this but as you were saying, I could not get past the early part. Is it really worth sticking to it? I won't hate you afterwards? :)
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The Men Who United the States: America's Explorers, Inventors, Eccentrics, and Mavericks, and the Creation of One Nation, Indivisible by Simon Winchester (2014) :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky:

The theme of this book can be loosely described as the history of men who connected the states. Simon Winchester hops around all over -- from Lewis and Clark, to rudimentary wagon trails, to interstate highways, to the information highway. The creation and effects of rail and air networks is covered along side the teles -- telegraph, telephone, television. The US route system is explained, as well as Eisenhower's interstate highway network. Adventurers such as Powell and the first guy to fly across country (Winchester said his name is little remembered and what do you know, I forgot already!) are highlighted, as well as some notable feats by founding fathers Thomas Jefferson and George Washington.

Winchester throws in a lot of anecdotes -- personal and trivial. Its a fun read -- if you can get past jumping back and forth along the time line as he tracks each topic apart from the others. We hear about the explorers, then the road builders, then water transport, then the communication networks, etc. But, in keeping with some of Winchesters other interests, we hear about more localized, yet important events. Towns that flourished at particular crossroads, only to fade to obscurity as technology robs them of their advantage. Chicago was a little better positioned among the rail crossroads and enjoyed spectacular growth while the other contender at the time, Cincinnati, never grew to be quite the epic city.

This is a unique perspective on the inner workings of manifest destiny. We all know what happened, what is sometimes lost is how it happened. Today, we cannot fathom a time when it took weeks to get a message from New York to San Francisco. It didn't become instant overnight -- there were a lot of baby steps among the seminal events.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Mastering Running (Masters Athlete Series) by Cathy Utzschneider :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky:

This might well be a 5-star book, if only I could have read it two years ago. The advice is sound -- author Cathy Utzschneider tells us all you ever wanted to know about running, proper training, running form, and performance improvement. She also tells us how to avoid common (and not so common) runner's injuries (sadly, too late for me, I haven't been able to sustain a running program since damaging my knee running a marathon 2 years ago).

The book will serve anyone running their first 5K all the way to a marathon. Utzchneider brings long experience as a running coach, and adds plenty of anecdotes of her own throughout the book. Much of her advice is sound and oft-repeated (sadly, not as oft-heeded in my case). If you need a plan, inspiration, or just a gentle reminder on what you ought to be doing should your methods go astray, this is an excellent book for any runner's library.
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

J.D. wrote:Follett's third and final book in the Century Trilogy is out this week ("Edge of Eternity") so this is what I'll be reading next. I'm actually going to a presentation/Q&A/book signing tonight in Toronto to see Follett in person. Should be a neat experience. I've never met an author before so have no idea what to expect at these things.

How'd it go? How was Follett? I've been looking forward to the 3rd part. I'll likely get to it sometime after Christmas.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Odin wrote:I've discovered the Dresden Files books and I'm enjoying the hell out of them. They're quick reads and not the deepest, most philosophical novels on the planet, but the main character cracks me up which counts for a lot, and they're entertaining as heck. Anyway, I'm about to finish the sixth book and I'm still hooked.
Binge-read all of them this year too and really enjoyed them.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

J.D. wrote:New Jack Reacher out today. Whooooo!
Was a bit disappointed by this one. It felt great slipping back into the books and the character, but the story was a bit meh to me.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
J.D.

Post by J.D. »

Rumpy wrote:
J.D. wrote:Follett's third and final book in the Century Trilogy is out this week ("Edge of Eternity") so this is what I'll be reading next. I'm actually going to a presentation/Q&A/book signing tonight in Toronto to see Follett in person. Should be a neat experience. I've never met an author before so have no idea what to expect at these things.

How'd it go? How was Follett? I've been looking forward to the 3rd part. I'll likely get to it sometime after Christmas.
It was a neat experience. Follett is extremely well-spoken and smart. He spoke for about 20 minutes on how he came up with the idea for the trilogy and how he ended up writing it all in 7 years. The trilogy spans about 3000 pages and a million words. Quite an achievement in just seven years given the research required to put it all together. Interesting fact about the books is that they are almost 100% accurate in terms of the history. If a meeting takes place with JFK in the White House on a certain day then Follett made sure that JFK was actually at the white house that day in real life. He made his story fit the historical timeline, and didn't change the facts of history to better his story. He hires a team of historians to fact check his work. Afterwards he read a couple pages from the book. After that it was a Q&A where members of the audience asked him questions. He shared that his next book will be a spy novel set in the 1600s in Kingsbridge (village from Pillars of the Earth). We all got a copy of the book and afterwards we got to line up and meet him briefly and have him sign it. It was a great turnout. It was at a theatre in the University of Toronto and he sold out the entire lower level.

As for the book I'm about 700 pages in (out of 1,100) and if you enjoyed the first two you'll like this one as well. Time progression is a bit slower this time though. Through 700 pages we've only gone from 1961-1967 (Berlin Wall, Cuban Missile Crisis, JFK assassination, early Vietnam) and the book eventually ends up in 1989. So the last 400 pages are going to somehow span 22 years worth of history. I hope it doesn't feel rushed. But so far, from what I've read, it's been great. As long as you're ok with the usual Century Trilogy "coincidences" of the characters somehow ending up present at the major events in history Forrest Gump style.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

WYBaugh wrote:
McNutt wrote:Finished A Crucible of Souls by Mitchell Hogan. An orphan is accepted into a sorceror’s academy. Due to his low birth, he is not made welcome by the other students who are children of wealthy parents. Soon he must make his way in the world and finds that he has talents that are rare and a mystery to him.

Hey, I tried reading this but as you were saying, I could not get past the early part. Is it really worth sticking to it? I won't hate you afterwards? :)
Yes. I just finished the sequel and it too started slowly but then took off. I rarely read two books from a series in a row as I like to change it up in between with some other book. However these books end with you wanting to continue. I recommend them.
Last edited by McNutt on Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

J.D. wrote:
Rumpy wrote:

It was a neat experience.

Nice. Thanks for the insight. Gives me more respect for the man. Definitely looking forward to reading it now! :)
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Jeff V wrote:
Bad Demographic wrote:
Jeff V wrote:
Bad Demographic wrote: Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton – we listened to this to and from Octocon. It was pirates in the Caribbean – oh wait – not pirates but privateers. Good swashbuckling fun. I guess if you like Crichton you’ll like this. 5 out of 8.
Nope, I like Crichton but this book was obviously underdeveloped and not nearly as entertaining as every other book of his that I've read. It might be a 5/8 on the Crichton fanboy scale -- for the rest, it's just not good.
Maybe I'll give Crichton another try sometime. I'm glad to see another take on this - I didn't really want to give it a lower rating since I wasn't sure if it was just my personal taste and not something resembling a more objective eval.
I just read a Crichton book, Airframe, and thought it was pretty good. I haven't even read his biggest hits -- Jurassic Park and Andromeda Strain, but everything else I read was quite entertaining...sometimes surprisingly so, given the premise. Pirate Latitudes was a struggle, though.

I've had bad luck with books "discovered" posthumously. For example, the David Foster Wallace one was brutally bad. Maybe my expectations are too high...I want one more piece of my favorite candy, but then discover the author expired before adding the sugar.
I have most of what Crichton wrote pre-death. The only two I really had a problem with were Congo and Prey. In looking up the names of those books I had forgotten how much he wrote. It probably isn't one of his best but I loved Timeline (the movie based on it isn't very good).
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Nixonland by Rick Perlstein

I decided to read this because of the time period it covered. I have developed a thing for the 60's and this book pretty much covers that. Nixonland pretty much covers Nixon's history from his youth until the 1972 election. The purpose of the book is to demonstrate the political change in the republican party and the rise of the far right. I should mention the book is the second in a series, with the first (I haven't read it) being about Barry Goldwater.

I must admit to not being that interested in the day to day political going ons in the book, I have more interest in Perlstein's descriptions and listings of the social events. The Civil Rights Movement, the anti-war movement and the beginnings of several other movements which grew out of those. Perlstein details so many events that it is almost impossible to keep track of each one. However in the end it was this part of the book that won me over. I found the first 150-200 pages a slow read, but after that it morphed into a very interesting read.

One other thing about this book, the number of recognizable names. At least for me they were recognizable. I found it interesting that Nixon hired a young man who was doing political dirty tricks to perform them for him, Karl Rove. The dirty tricks stuff itself it utterly amazing.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I finished The Heroes by Joe Abercrombie. I am an Abercrombie fan boy. The book covers the run up, fighting and aftermath of a three day battle between the Northmen and the Union. We meet a few old characters and many new ones, but you could easily read this as a stand alone.
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

So I just stopped reading 'Apocalypse Z' today, after only a few chapters. Probably only the second Kindle book I have just stopped reading, and put immediately into my DISCARD collection (interestingly or not, the only other one is also a zombie apocalypse book).

It was so bad, I had to look up the reviews again on Amazon to find out what I was missing, and sure enough, plenty of people there saying pretty much what I was thinking about the book:
1. It's HORRIBLY written
2. I think it's probably translated poorly (which could be forgiven, but I suspect the Spanish is not much better - tempted to check out that version to find out)

So why the 4/5 stars on Amazon reviews? Possibly people that read it in Spanish, which might make it better.

I wonder why I even bought it, and then realized I probably thought I was buying World War Z...completely different. Ah well, I think I paid a buck fifty for it.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Just finished reading The Lives of Tao, by Wesley Chu, a book recommended to me by a friend. Think sci-fi ( earth based ) spy thriller with a dash of comedy. It was a very entertaining read. I dont want to say much about the plot because its kind of an origin story and for the first part at least its keeps you a bit clueless. I enjoyed it and would definitely recommend it.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

Scuzz wrote:I finished The Heroes by Joe Abercrombie. I am an Abercrombie fan boy. The book covers the run up, fighting and aftermath of a three day battle between the Northmen and the Union. We meet a few old characters and many new ones, but you could easily read this as a stand alone.
Still think this is one of the best books I've ever read. And I read it before the trilogy so definitely can do it as a stand alone. You miss some of the previous interactions but doesn't really matter in the long run.
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

Finished Bill the Galactic Hero by Harry Harrison - read this years ago and was in the mood for something light.
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

Finished Shadow Throne by Django Wexler - second book of the Shadow Campain (first was The Thousand Names).

Definitely has second book-itis and not nearly as good as the first book. Also, as reviews mention on Amazon, spends way too much time with the lesbian romance. The whole book centers around a revolution in city of Vordan with the characters mixed in it from the first book. The epilogue is the best part of the whole dang book.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Glad you told me. That one keeps popping up as an Amazon recommendation on my account. I think I'll pass. Speaking of popping up on my recommendation. . .

House of Blades by Will Wright
A young boy watches as his father is killed by magic users and his mother is gravely injured. He is saved by an incredible swordsman and promises himself that he will one day seek out this man, learn from him, and never let anyone hurt the people he loves again.

This book was okay. Not great, but it was a quick read. It reminded me a lot of the Night Angel Trilogy but with a little humor thrown in. I didn't find that trilogy that great either. My main problem with this book is that there is this somewhat interesting magic system where certain people draw their power from their magical region. These "travellers" are pretty powerful no matter what type of magic they can summon. However there are a few examples in this story of people simply being handed a drink and, voila, they are one of these unstoppable forces. That didn't sit well with me at all and hurt an otherwise good story. One of the reasons I enjoyed the Sorcery Ascendant series is that it is exactly the opposite of how that hero realizes his power. Seriously, "here, drink this!" Act II.

I'm not going to say to pass on this because it's inexpensive fun. But like the last Superman movie, you just keep thinking about how good it could have been.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I had a $5 Amazon gift card for using Bing for 500 searches. I didn't want to spend $12.99 on a Kindle book but I really wanted to get The Crimson Campaign. Boom. Done. This should be a good read.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I've stopped reading Native Tongue, by Suzette Haden Elgin, about halfway through. Possible that I'll pick it up again sooner or later, but I doubt it.

The book is essentially a dystopian novel in the future United States where: (1) women have been stripped of essentially all civil rights; (2) space travel exists and trade / diplomatic relations have been established with aliens; and (3) in order to be able to communicate with aliens, a cartel of families ("lingos") raise kids from birth to speak alien languages; because these kids are essential to galactic trade, the linguistic families have some amount of status and power.

I love dystopian novels (though I hadn't read one in awhile), but I just found this pretty boring. The women's rights / subjugation stuff isn't all that interesting - it's just "women have no rights" over and over again. The linguistic family stuff was kind of both odd and boring - it's both hard to really imagine "linguistic families" as a maintainable thing, and there's a lot of stuff about methods of communication which was just straight up boring. The author is apparently a professor of linguistics, so a lot of this stuff kind of read like linguistics fan fiction to me. And importantly, the characters weren't terribly compelling - about halfway through and I found I didn't really care about what was going to happen to any of them.

Anyhow, it wasn't terrible, but just pretty boring and flat to me.

Not sure what to read next, though I have Freakonomics on my Kindle, and I'm leaning towards that at the moment.
Black Lives Matter.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

finished Haruki Murakami's Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage a few weeks back and i forgot to mention it here. actually, in comparison to the last novel i commented on a few posts back that took me two years to finish, i completed this one in two days. wasn't his best book, but it was gripping almost all the way through and i just had to see what happened... welllll it does end without resolving some things, but that's how his novels go, c'est la vie. YOU MAKE YOUR OWN ENDING!! the hardcover also has a cool design underneath the dust jacket.

also finished A.A. Milne's Winnie-ther-Pooh and The House at Pooh Corner. the first book has some really excellent writing and dialogue that made me laugh out loud quite a few times - i would say the tone is something like 'lovingly snarky,' in a way that flies over most kids' heads - and great illustrations from Ernest H. Shepard. it possesses an overall atmosphere of coziness that i didn't want to end. the follow-up book suffers from sequelitis and isn't nearly as inspired, but still, excellent illustrations. i would totally (re-)add both to my collection, since i don't know if the books i had as a baby still exist.

i started Neal Stephenson's Reamde and i'm not sure if i'm liking this one.
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

This sounds like my kind of book.

If you like this sort of theme, I highly recommend the book The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down, by Anne Fadiman. It's about the interaction of Hmong refugees in SoCal with the health care system. It's really fascinating all the way through.
No sig, must scream, etc.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The Lodger Shakespeare: His Life on Silver Street by Charles Nicholl :binky: :binky:

Surprisingly little is known about one of history's greatest, and most prolific, playwrights, William Shakespeare. There have been attempts (Bill Bryson wrote a good one) to summarize what we know and offer some conjecture to what we do not. Charles Nicholl is attempting such a thing here in The Lodger Shakespeare. However, in this case is, it is more plausible conjecture than simply summarizing the facts (which would take little space indeed). What we have is a plausible account of perhaps the most mundane episode in a great man's life.

Nicholl spends a lot of time tediously exploring the use of single terms and trying to find meaningful parallels in Shakespeare's life. The premise, that he was a boarder of a family of Montjoie's -- a husband and wife wig-making duo -- is inferred by several public records, then pumped up by the author's imagination. While a little insight into normal life in the late 16th/early 17th century could be interesting, the author's effort to tie the most insignificant detail to his thesis is utterly tiresome.

If you want speculation on the life and times of Shakespeare, do yourself a favor and read the Bryson book instead.
Black Lives Matter
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Carpet_pissr wrote:So I just stopped reading 'Apocalypse Z' today, after only a few chapters. Probably only the second Kindle book I have just stopped reading, and put immediately into my DISCARD collection (interestingly or not, the only other one is also a zombie apocalypse book).
I liked all three in this trilogy. I thought it was a fresh new take on the genre. I think it was translated kinda clunky. Also, the first book was written as a serial blog and then made into a proper novel, maybe that makes it clunky.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Z-Corn wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote:So I just stopped reading 'Apocalypse Z' today, after only a few chapters. Probably only the second Kindle book I have just stopped reading, and put immediately into my DISCARD collection (interestingly or not, the only other one is also a zombie apocalypse book).
I liked all three in this trilogy. I thought it was a fresh new take on the genre. I think it was translated kinda clunky. Also, the first book was written as a serial blog and then made into a proper novel, maybe that makes it clunky.
Hmm, thanks. Does it get better? Are the follow ups any better?

My biggest problem was being able to stomach writing like: Today was hard. I think I will get into bed early tonight. Wow, I'm really tired. My next plan will be to take out the zombie on the street. I really hope that works, because it would be bad if it didn't. Dammit! Well, tomorrow is another day. I will make a plan, and I hope that plan will work, which would be great, because that would mean I could leave the house."

Ugh.

Supposedly written as a blog, but it doesn't even work with that as an excuse IMO. How is it a fresh take? Maybe if there is some original content or events later in the story, I will slog through, because dammit, I REALLY hate dropping books, but with so much actually good zombie stuff out there...