Post by coopasonic »

Frost wrote:Pre-loading now on Steam :dance:
Yay, I can finally test my download speed. I'll let you know Smoove. :twisted:
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Re: The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt

Post by Smoove_B »

Thankfully my video card holds me back. I think I'm backed into a corner with my ATI upgrades as I can't bump my power supply. If I jump ship and switch to Nvidia I might be able to keep this PC another 2+ years....which is about how long it will take to download my entire STEAM library. :D

I can say from previews I've read, this very well might be the game that gets me to upgrade. When I see people suggest "It's like Red Dead Redemption...but Fantasy" (in terms of scope, wandering around, exploring, etc...) I am quite intrigued.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I was thinking I could upgrade my PC just so I can send you my video card, but then I thought about it and I hear divorce is expensive so you can get your own upgrade.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I might need to start a thread in the computer hardware section as I remember it took me quite some time to figure out which card to slap in this older PC that would work with my power supply.

As it turns out my video card is one model below (I have an ATI 7850) the minimum required card for this game (ATI 7870). That's bollocks!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I had to go PS4 on this one. First game I've run into that I've wanted to play that my PC can't physically run. That was a hard pill to swallow!
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

YellowKing wrote:I had to go PS4 on this one. First game I've run into that I've wanted to play that my PC can't physically run. That was a hard pill to swallow!
I'm doing the same, even though my PC is more powerful than my PS4. I was a bit worried about the reported performance issues mentioned in several reviews though, but CDPR have since stated that these are being fixed or improved in the day 1 patch. The console version is about equal to running the PC version on High detail.
Insert witty comment here.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Same here. By the way, if you want the equivalent of pre-load for the game (if you preordered from the ps store, that is), just make sure you put your ps4 into rest mode on the 16th or so, and you have the auto download option selected (it can be found by opening the game's page in the store and clicking on the button that shows the timer for the game's release).
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I suppose I could just scrap the plans to upgrade the PC and pull the trigger on an Xbone during the assumed Fall / Winter 2015 sales. Fortunately I've got nothing but time to wait and see how it all shakes out, but I would be amazed if they're not able to deliver an awesome game. It really does look amazing.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm going with PS4 for now, but if it's like the rest of the Witcher series, it should be on sale for 4.99 within three weeks. So I'll just grab a PC copy at that point. See how it looks on my i5 with the 970.
He won. Period.
naednek

Post by naednek »

I preloaded on Monday :P

And living on the west coast, I can play at 7pm pacific time next monday! AWESOME
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
naednek

Post by naednek »

Smoove_B wrote:Thankfully my video card holds me back. I think I'm backed into a corner with my ATI upgrades as I can't bump my power supply. If I jump ship and switch to Nvidia I might be able to keep this PC another 2+ years....which is about how long it will take to download my entire STEAM library. :D

I can say from previews I've read, this very well might be the game that gets me to upgrade. When I see people suggest "It's like Red Dead Redemption...but Fantasy" (in terms of scope, wandering around, exploring, etc...) I am quite intrigued.

Smoove, go get a Nvidia GTX970 and you can get witcher 3 and the new batman for free. I just got the card for $330 at newegg after a rebate, and it's screaming fast.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote:
Yay, I can finally test my download speed. I'll let you know Smoove. :twisted:
Preload peaked at 290Mbits but averaged closer to 160-180... A bit better than the 15 I got before my upgrade.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Yeah, I made the mistake of preordering this before I realized the impact next gen consoles will have on system requirements. So I have a game my machine can't handle until major upgrades and I have no money for upgrades. Good news is, I can't buy games that I can't play so I am saving money :-)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Conan plays The Witcher 3

Thats some funny shit there.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I was going to wait in this one, as the last two games were more miss than hit for me. After seeing all the off-the-charts reviews though, I think I'm going to grab it and hope for the best. Will probably do PS4, as I have a $50 credit at GS...and playing from the couch on the big screen sounds great. :)
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
AjD

Post by AjD »

And... here comes the launch trailer (cinematics only, but wow... way to set a tone.)
Ahead of the game's release next week, Polish developer CD Projekt Red on Thursday released a new cinematic trailer for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. Titled "A Night to Remember," the video is totally gorgeous and quite creepy and unexpected... Reviews for The Witcher 3 came online this week, and the RPG is receiving widespread praise. GameSpot scored the game a perfect 10/10, only the ninth title in our site's history to receive that score.
This game is hooking me - looks deep, and surprisingly adult (a good thing). Plus, it has the inimitable Charles Dance :clap: . I may come out of my protracted hibernation for this one (2-3 years since I've gamed, I forget!).

Anyone know if a Q9550 can run this without choking? With 8 gigs of RAM and a decent modern video card? I've got an old card, don't recall which. But I'd upgrade my GPU for this game. Don't want to build a new box though...
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

AjD wrote:Plus, it has the inimitable Charles Dance :clap: .
Playing the most dangerous and powerful man in the setting too: Emperor Emhyr var Emreis of Nilfgaard. This is a guy who commands enormous presence in the books as well. Charles Dance is a great choice for this character's voice actor.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I know a lot is being made out of the nudity in the game, but I'm curious as to whether or not it includes the ability for me to be nude while playing it?
He won. Period.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

hepcat wrote:I know a lot is being made out of the nudity in the game, but I'm curious as to whether or not it includes the ability for me to be nude while playing it?
Your ideas intrigue me, and I wish to subscribe to your Twitch stream. :wub:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Please don't encourage him.

Please.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'll start shopping for a life sized, stuffed Unicorn this weekend for the twitch stream...
He won. Period.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I'm starting to twitch myself.

Also... 4 days!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

As I haven't even beat the 1st one I refuse to buy this. I have both 1 and 2 still to play. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Octavious wrote:As I haven't even beat the 1st one I refuse to buy this. I have both 1 and 2 still to play. :lol:
Ditto. And I've started the 1st one three times... :doh:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

TheMix wrote:
Octavious wrote:As I haven't even beat the 1st one I refuse to buy this. I have both 1 and 2 still to play. :lol:
Just based on what I have seen, I think this is a pretty big change in gameplay and you could probably skip the first two especially if you enjoy other open world fantasy games. I am not sure I could play the first one again these days.

I just looked at the minimum specs and I am right on the line. I thought my PC was better than that! It's time to shop.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jag

Post by Jag »

Here is some fancy book reading to tide you over. They all take place before W1.
The Last Wish (short story collection)

Sword of Destiny (short story collection)

Blood of Elves

Time of Contempt

Baptism of Fire

The Swallow's Tower

Lady of the Lake
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Jag wrote:Here is some fancy book reading to tide you over. They all take place before W1.

Blood of Elves

Time of Contempt

Baptism of Fire

The Swallow's Tower

Lady of the Lake
Except three of those books (Sword of Destiny, The Swallow's Tower and Lady of the Lake) still aren't available in English. Sword of Destiny is coming out in a week though. I keep seeing English-speaking people recommend the unreleased books to other English-speaking people, and I wonder why they're doing this. Is everyone reading fan-translations (which I doubt are anywhere near legal)?
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Jag wrote:Here is some fancy book reading to tide you over. They all take place before W1.

Blood of Elves

Time of Contempt

Baptism of Fire

The Swallow's Tower

Lady of the Lake
This made me think of this novelization of a part of Witcher 2, including a very accurate description of the combat.
The Witcher then drew his steel sword, relieved to have drawn the correct sword this time. Then, with great valor and cat-like speed, he rolled out of the way. He rolled again, and again, rolling like the wind, rolling like a small rock down a mountain, which would eventually pick up other larger rocks and form an avalanche.

Two of the bounty hunter’s men came at him from the left, so he rolled to the right. He rolled to the right again, and then rolled to the left.

“Ploughing whoreson!” shouted the brigand.

Geralt rolled one more time, this time to the right, down the alley. He paused and cast the Quen sign upon himself, surrounding his amor with a glowing, magical shield. He then rolled back toward his foes, accidentally rolling straight into a swinging sword. In the blink of an eye, he rolled away from them again, then rolled twice more. He rolled into a merchant’s cart, then rolled away from it. Then he stood up and cast another Quen sign upon himself.

Geralt rolled toward one of the less-armored men and attacked him, his steel sword flying in a precise combination of light and heavy swings. The man went down, and Geralt rolled over his body and away from danger. He rolled again, and again, and again, occasionally swinging his sword between rolls, killing the bounty hunter’s men one by one.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

TiLT wrote:
Except three of those books (Sword of Destiny, The Swallow's Tower and Lady of the Lake) still aren't available in English. Sword of Destiny is coming out in a week though. I keep seeing English-speaking people recommend the unreleased books to other English-speaking people, and I wonder why they're doing this. Is everyone reading fan-translations (which I doubt are anywhere near legal)?
Holy crap, Baptism of Fire is out? *Runs off searching*
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Jag

Post by Jag »

NickAragua wrote:This made me think of this novelization of a part of Witcher 2, including a very accurate description of the combat.
The Witcher then drew his steel sword, relieved to have drawn the correct sword this time. Then, with great valor and cat-like speed, he rolled out of the way. He rolled again, and again, rolling like the wind, rolling like a small rock down a mountain, which would eventually pick up other larger rocks and form an avalanche.

Two of the bounty hunter’s men came at him from the left, so he rolled to the right. He rolled to the right again, and then rolled to the left.

Geralt rolled one more time, this time to the right, down the alley. He paused and cast the Quen sign upon himself, surrounding his amor with a glowing, magical shield. He then rolled back toward his foes, accidentally rolling straight into a swinging sword. In the blink of an eye, he rolled away from them again, then rolled twice more. He rolled into a merchant’s cart, then rolled away from it. Then he stood up and cast another Quen sign upon himself.

Geralt rolled toward one of the less-armored men and attacked him, his steel sword flying in a precise combination of light and heavy swings. The man went down, and Geralt rolled over his body and away from danger. He rolled again, and again, and again, occasionally swinging his sword between rolls, killing the bounty hunter’s men one by one.
Ugh no. I only read Last Wish and it was nothing like that excerpt. I'm guessing the actual author does a better job than a game novel writer.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

NickAragua wrote:
This made me think of this novelization of a part of Witcher 2, including a very accurate description of the combat.

There seems to be a lot of, um, rolling involved here. :lol:
Last edited by $iljanus on Fri May 15, 2015 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I'm pretty sure it was satire.

That being said, rolling was pretty much the only way to reliably avoid damage in Witcher 2, so I parked my thumb on that space bar and rolled like there was no tomorrow.
Last edited by NickAragua on Fri May 15, 2015 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

It's a criticism of the game. He's saying the in-game combat is a lot of rolling around.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

coopasonic wrote:It's a criticism of the game. He's saying the in-game combat is a lot of rolling around.
I liked his take on the strange names in the world of the Witcher. And the sexing.
“Triss Merigold,” said Geralt.

Triss Merigold was dressed in the same super-tight outfit she had been wearing for the last three weeks. It really accented her hot boobs, which were sexy and huge and hot. Her red hair was pulled back from her sexy face, the better to allow her super-big sexy eyes to really pop. She lustily sauntered toward Geralt, her hips swaying. It was all Geralt could do not to sex her right there.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Okay, those snippets made me laugh.
The Witcher then drew his steel sword, relieved to have drawn the correct sword this time.
:lol:
He won. Period.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

coopasonic wrote:
TheMix wrote:
Octavious wrote:As I haven't even beat the 1st one I refuse to buy this. I have both 1 and 2 still to play. Image
Just based on what I have seen, I think this is a pretty big change in gameplay and you could probably skip the first two especially if you enjoy other open world fantasy games. I am not sure I could play the first one again these days.

I just looked at the minimum specs and I am right on the line. I thought my PC was better than that! It's time to shop.
I really disliked the combat in the first one. Maybe I should just skip to the second. It drives me nuts as I should love these games. :(
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Blackhawk wrote:Holy crap, Baptism of Fire is out? *Runs off searching*
Yeah, it's been out for a year now. It sadly didn't really grab me. The Last Wish is the best one of the bunch, as far as I'm concerned. The grand story about the elven prophecy isn't incredibly interesting in my opinion, and it moves extremely slowly. If you think The Lord of the Rings reads like a travelogue, The Witcher would like to have a word with you (make that several hundred thousand words).

It doesn't help that the translation is clunky and strangely written. Particularly irksome is the way in which everyone over-explains even the most basic sayings until they are interrupted. Where Monty Python said "your father was a hamster and your mother smelt of elderberries," The Witcher would have added: "Because he was small and hairy and spoke in squeals and lived in the forest, just like your mother whose smell was so ripe that it's a wonder they ever mated, which goes double when considering the hamster's tiny cock that he was so ashamed of that he..." and it goes on and on and on like this. It happens in just about every conversation in the books, and the one thing I kept thinking while reading this was that nobody speaks that way.

Still, it's a compelling setting with interesting characters. The books just struggle to deliver the setting and characters in a satisfactory way, which I suspect is at least partly due to it originally being written in Polish.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Found this recap on Reddit solely from the games (not novels).

Click to embiggen.
Enlarge Image
Frost

Post by Frost »

Octavious wrote:
coopasonic wrote:
TheMix wrote:
Octavious wrote:As I haven't even beat the 1st one I refuse to buy this. I have both 1 and 2 still to play. Image

I really disliked the combat in the first one. Maybe I should just skip to the second. It drives me nuts as I should love these games. :(

The first one had a great story, but i never loved the combat either, but played to the end just for the story.

Witcher 2 solved all my issues and was more more action oriented with its combat. If the combat in Witcher 1 is that big a turnoff for you, then skip it and just play Witcher 2. If I remember correctly, decisions you made in Witcher 2 will affect gameplay in Witcher 3, right?
Some MoFo's are always trying to ice skate uphill - Blade