The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

El Guapo

Re: The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt

Post by El Guapo »

NickAragua wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:14 pm Yep, I hear ya. That's how The Witcher usually goes.

In a lot of these types of scenarios in these games I tended to fall back on personal loyalty, and even though it came out sub-optimally sometimes in some kind of grand strategic sense, at least I didn't feel like a total ass.
My main regret from the main game was
Spoiler:
siding with Roche when he fights Djikstra. Which like I know that Roche was more honorable and whatnot, but the whole "hey, let's help the Nilfgaardians conquer the entire north in exchange for some vague promise of autonomy which we have no ability to hold them accountable on" plan was so stupid that I feel bad for going along with it.
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:38 pm My main regret from the main game was
Spoiler:
siding with Roche when he fights Djikstra. Which like I know that Roche was more honorable and whatnot, but the whole "hey, let's help the Nilfgaardians conquer the entire north in exchange for some vague promise of autonomy which we have no ability to hold them accountable on" plan was so stupid that I feel bad for going along with it.
To be fair, there's not a single one of the northern kings that's not a giant asshole.
Spoiler:
Of course, you can negate that somewhat by installing Ciri as the future empress. Which didn't happen in my game, so I was happy to let Geralt retire to wine country with Triss and let the world burn.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Spoiler:
The Dutchess will forgive, her sister will let bygones be bygones, but Detlaff wont let go so he is odd man out it seems. Shame as I felt sorry for him being used. Would have liked the option for him to scar her or something and just leave.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Witcher 3 is getting a remaster, free to current owners. Cool!

https://www.techspot.com/news/86640-cdp ... wners.html
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

When its all said and done Im going to view the end like this.....
Spoiler:
I feel sorry for both Detlaff and Syanna. I want them both to talk it out, feel remorse, and part ways. But I cant have it that way So Ill take it as this...Geralt did not know the ribbon would save Syanna when Detlaff tried to kill her, He had no way of knowing that. He simply got her an item back she had lost because he took pity on her. It saving her life was just a happenstance. I dont blame Detlaff for trying to kill her either. He was used and I felt bad for him. BUT. For him to THEN turn on both Geralt and his blood brother Regis for NO reason when they did nothing but try and help him......well at that point he sealed his own fate. At that precise instance he was no longer a point of understanding or pity for Geralt and just another villain attacking him and his friend Regis then.
So viewing it as such I can live with the ending even if I had preferred another one not available to me.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Grifman wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:38 pm Witcher 3 is getting a remaster, free to current owners. Cool!

https://www.techspot.com/news/86640-cdp ... wners.html
I think for me the Witcher series is such an amazing game experience that I will never return to them ever again. I will keep the memory as I played them the one time and remember them for that.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well the last thing to do before heading into the ending is to spend my 28 saved ability points. Want to make it easier on my self lol. But wow theres SO much to choose from. I also need to increase
my sign power. Im thinking the one that slows enemies will slow Detlaff down and help me out.

I saw a video of a guy using that one plus Aard together somehow to both freeze and damage while frozen enemies. I have no idea how he chose 2 at once though.

Between mutigens, signs, and the new powers stuff I have so many choices its putting me off. Guess Ill just pick what sounds good and move on.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

All finished. Said goodbye to Regis and went back home and met the person who is waiting there for you. All and all best DLC Ive ever played. Maybe the best game. I finished all the quests except any gwent ones. I dont care for that a bit.

Took me 5 tries to kill the end boss. I had no trouble with the first part of the battle or the 3rd. It was the middle part I died on 5 times. I kept missing the timing. Ive not uninstalled yet. Want to look around. Want to visit the castle again and see if I can visit the Dutchess and Syanna. See if I have anything else to add to my house. I finished at lvl 53 or 54.

I think the biggest take away from this DLC was the music. By God it was haunting the entire way and set the mood for the whole DLC.
Last edited by Daehawk on Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Yeah I had to crank the difficulty all the way down to easiest for the Detlaff fight.
Black Lives Matter.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

After this I dont understand how the same company could release Cyberpunk. The detail and intricacies of The Witcher 3 and both its addons is so in depth and amazing and bug free. It boggles.

I hope they reconsider and make a Witcher 4. Or something in the same world at least of not story and Geralt...Not sure it would be as loved though.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:28 pm After this I dont understand how the same company could release Cyberpunk. The detail and intricacies of The Witcher 3 and both its addons is so in depth and amazing and bug free. It boggles.
6 years after release. Take a look at Cyberpunk at the end of 2026 for a fair comparison.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I played W3 main game though back in 2016. I dont recall any of the Witcher games giving me any troubles.

ugh its down time for me. After finishing such a wonderful game theres really nothing I could start that wouldn't disappoint me. I have The Outer Worlds waiting and some older titles. Figure Ill just piddle around a bit for a while before bearing down on another game good. Always happens after a magnificent game experience.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Playing through Blood & Wine and I'm having an oddly specific issue. Previously up to this point, I had no issues playing the game aside from random CTDs, and that included Heart of Stone. My issue seems to stem from any Bruxa encounters, where sight of them will cause a CTD. I can't even proceed through the expansion's main quest because of this. When it tells you to investigate Corvo, right after the cutscene introducing the Bruxa, it crashes before I can do anything. It's reproducible because it always happens in the same spot. I can play the game and do anything else, but as soon as I encounter any other Bruxa, such as at the prison ruins, you guessed it.

Gah, I'm cursed to be a Witcher.

I've played around with the settings to see if it would make a difference, but no. Bruxa seem to be my weakness. At least it's not a Medusa.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Rumpy wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:30 am Playing through Blood & Wine and I'm having an oddly specific issue. Previously up to this point, I had no issues playing the game aside from random CTDs, and that included Heart of Stone. My issue seems to stem from any Bruxa encounters, where sight of them will cause a CTD. I can't even proceed through the expansion's main quest because of this. When it tells you to investigate Corvo, right after the cutscene introducing the Bruxa, it crashes before I can do anything. It's reproducible because it always happens in the same spot. I can play the game and do anything else, but as soon as I encounter any other Bruxa, such as at the prison ruins, you guessed it.

Gah, I'm cursed to be a Witcher.

I've played around with the settings to see if it would make a difference, but no. Bruxa seem to be my weakness. At least it's not a Medusa.
It sounds like a missing file associated with the Bruxa, a reinstall would probably fix it. I know a 70+ gig reinstall isn't exactly appetizing, but I bet it would work.
FTE
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

If you're playing it through GOG or Steam you can just run the verify files option in either client and it will check the game and install or repair any missing broken files.

Theres a LOT of bruxa in B&W.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, it's on GOG, and I did verify the files yesterday, and it downloaded a 120MB file, but haven't tested it yet. Knock on wood, hope it's good. GOG certainly takes it time when verifying.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Well, the verifying of files was a no-go. Had no effect.

That unfortunately meant an uninstall and redownload of the game, and sadly I'm still having the issue, even after reinstalling. Really not sure what's going on now. The only thing I can think of is that I have an old rig and while I'm able to play the rest of the game normally, that there's something in the way that the Bruxa works that pushes it to its limits in such a way that it crashes.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My rig is 10 years old and I played it. Might try using a driver uninstaller and redo your graphics drivers.

Edit.......also could turn off the GoG overlay if its on. I have to turn off Steams one sometimes.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I don't even run it with Galaxy running, which is a beautiful benefit of having it on GOG vs Steam. I learned that if I try to run Galaxy and run the game, I run into memory issues, leading to crashing. Making a desktop shortcut to the 64bit version bypasses GOG completely.

But reinstalling the drivers is a good idea. I actually have a new driver waiting to be installed and always do a clean installation when prompted. That has fixed problems with other things in the past.
Last edited by Rumpy on Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Enlarge Image
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Eureka! That was it! Have yourself a cookie, Dae! :D
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Raspberry Zinger. And congrats! Woohoo!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well bother. Looks like Im going to have to reinstall this just to find and do one quest in Toussaint. I just recently saw a video on a quest where you can actually talk to Roach and solve a haunting.. Danggit. How did I miss that??
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You were on the wrong herbs.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Oof, B&W's end boss battle is tough. Even in story mode, I'm having a hard time. Not sure I'll be able to beat him.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

You dont even have to fight him. I tried both ways. In the end I wanted a certain someone to live. I actually liked the boss guy and felt for what was done to him.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

You don't? See, I kind of take issue with the way the game tends to lead you on. I've heard that my path leads to the tragic ending. I've already had a tragic ending to the original game due to similar issues. The cues I feel are way too subtle, and the choices felt right at the time. Guess I'll have to go back and see if I can do it the other way. At least I enjoyed being in the fairytale land.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:22 pm You don't? See, I kind of take issue with the way the game tends to lead you on. I've heard that my path leads to the tragic ending. I've already had a tragic ending to the original game due to similar issues. The cues I feel are way too subtle, and the choices felt right at the time. Guess I'll have to go back and see if I can do it the other way. At least I enjoyed being in the fairytale land.
Yeah, I got a happy ending to the original, but then was shocked when I looked up endings later and realized that I just barely got it, and that the choices that impacted it seemed pretty silly and illogical. Though I suppose that one theme of the game is that seemingly sensible well-intentioned actions can have cruel and unpredictable results.
Black Lives Matter.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:14 pm
Rumpy wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:22 pm You don't? See, I kind of take issue with the way the game tends to lead you on. I've heard that my path leads to the tragic ending. I've already had a tragic ending to the original game due to similar issues. The cues I feel are way too subtle, and the choices felt right at the time. Guess I'll have to go back and see if I can do it the other way. At least I enjoyed being in the fairytale land.
Yeah, I got a happy ending to the original, but then was shocked when I looked up endings later and realized that I just barely got it, and that the choices that impacted it seemed pretty silly and illogical. Though I suppose that one theme of the game is that seemingly sensible well-intentioned actions can have cruel and unpredictable results.
Yeah, I'm not looking for obvious answers with obvious outcomes like in the Mass Effect games, but little hints would be nice. I was pretty bummed out when I got the tragic ending in the base game and it actually put me off from getting the expansions for quite some time. I had the same problem with the 2nd game too, and I remember the devs explaining that they didn't want to make the decisions and their outcomes obvious. But come on, they end up feeling like giant gotchas, particularly because there are no tells. Some of the outcomes end up feeling like giant leaps in logic, particularly since some of them don't end up being touched on throughout the game.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Ok, now I'm really confused and I really don't get it. Dae, you said you don't have to fight him. I just tried both ways, and they all end up at the same place and with the same situation...
Spoiler:
The first way involves freeing Syanna, the second way involves visiting the Elder Vampire, but it seems both of them result in a fight with Dettlaff. I don't see another way without a confrontation. Am I missing something? Oh wait, I notice Option C without the ribbon, which is a pretty petty detail to miss. Particularly because getting the ribbon is its own quest that would seem most would not want to miss.
And after reading the different choices, I feel they're rather BS into forcing you into a bad ending either way.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Spoiler:
Yes its without the ribbon. I found that super vague and really not explained at all. Very easy to miss.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:58 pm
Spoiler:
Yes its without the ribbon. I found that super vague and really not explained at all. Very easy to miss.
Yeah, I agree. I don't think I've ever come across anything quite so vague in gaming.
Spoiler:
It's not even so much that it's easy to miss. It's that the game pretty much entices you to take the ribbon as it activates a quest, which by all circumstances, would be a positive thing, but yet here it's not. There's no clue whatsoever that the ribbon's actually a bad thing, until you get to the scene in question where it protects her from Dettlaff.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Wow, so I finished it last night. I found it surprising how long it keeps going, even after the credits. I'd done everything that I could, but even then it feels like it keeps going. Thought I'd have it all wrapped up in under an hour, but it ended up taking me roughly 2 hours. That's a lot of content.

Now see, if they ever want to continue the series, I guess one way to do it would be via a prequel starring Vesemir.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Inverarity

Post by Inverarity »

I agree with the Prequel idea way more so than another game with either Geralt or Ciri as the lead. Blood and Wine ended the story so darn well, that should be it.

Plus, games are long enough to flesh out the prequel concept the way movies rarely can (see: RDR2).
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

It could be a younger Geralt. It could start with his training at Kaer Morhen and both his trials of grasses. Then move with him to how he became the Butcher of Blaviken and meeting Yenn and Ciri and training Ciri. First use of the unicorn :) ...the early years.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

At least with Vesemir, you could have it go back to the Conjunction of Spheres (I think, or maybe it would require going back even further for that) which was always talked about in the games. The Nightmare of the Wolf movie on Netflix covers Vesemir himself getting trained at Khaer Mohren, and I think it would have the most potential for new adventures before becoming head of the School of the Wolf. The movie pretty much sets up the potential. The thing about a Younger Geralt is that it could limit the potential going forward and I don't think it would be necessarily as interesting, plus I would think it's something the author would himself want to write about before letting a game do it. It just sounds like it would be off-limits to me. There's just so much more potential with Vesemir without being boxed in.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Enlarge Image
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I restarted Witcher 3 this week. I've always been annoyed with the super-shitty ending I got when I first played it, and have been meaning to give this another serious go for a couple years now. I did give it about 10 hours on Switch when it first came out (back when I thought handheld mode might be a cool thing), but the lower graphics ultimately turned me off. I figure that a few years of patching will have (hopefully) smoothed out some of the bugs. I also want to try the DLC, which I've heard is very good.

I'm about 12 hours in, and just snuck into the Bloody Baron's castle to start that quest. So far, so good. I had a better outcome with Kiera this time as well, ending that questline without cleaving her in half. :lol:

I had forgotten just how huge this game is. Gonna have to focus my OCD and quit chasing every ? on the map or I'll never finish it.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:35 pm Enlarge Image

:?:

Yes, that is a map.
Black Lives Matter.