I don't <gasp> like pizza!
1%
Gangnam
9%

Total votes: 76

Kraken

Re: [Pizza Wars 2013] Chicago style vs New York style

Post by Kraken »

Does Sicilian have the sauce on top? Because Detroit puts the sauce on top, and uses a lot of it.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Saw somebody review Giordano's and he really dug it. Might have to try it in Orlando. The crust looked thin and flaky, almost like my grandmother's pie crust.

Noticed my $4 Great Value Three Meat Pizza box artwork looked different. They now consider it a Three Meat Pizza because the pepperoni is made with chicken, pork, and beef. LOL Cheaters!
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

AWS260 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 9:14 pm I just had Detroit-style pizza for the first time and it was... exactly what people around here call a Sicilian. Don't get me wrong, it was delicious -- a really excellent Sicilian pie -- but I was kind of expecting something new.
Was it a sort of deep dish, thicker caramelized crust with the cheese going all the way out to the edges? That is really the defining characteristic. Sicilian may be square but it is not deep dish

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sicilian_pizza

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit-style_pizza
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

The kind of Sicilian that you get in NY is very similar to the Detroit that I just had: a thick crust, fluffy but crispy on the edges. Not "deep dish" in the Chicago sense, but thick and baked in a pan. I guess the difference is the cheese going to the edges.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

em2nought wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:19 pm Saw somebody review Giordano's and he really dug it. Might have to try it in Orlando. The crust looked thin and flaky, almost like my grandmother's pie crust.

Noticed my $4 Great Value Three Meat Pizza box artwork looked different. They now consider it a Three Meat Pizza because the pepperoni is made with chicken, pork, and beef. LOL Cheaters!
I've had Giordano's in Chicago and oddly enough in Canton, Ohio. The Chicago one was really good if you like a lot of cheese. The Canton one was good but not as good as Chicago. My guess is the original restaurants still do it the right way and the chain ones drift a bit.

I do remember ordering 4 pizzas from the one in Chicago and the bill was a little over $200.00, so it's definatly expensive.
FTE
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

AWS260 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 8:36 am The kind of Sicilian that you get in NY is very similar to the Detroit that I just had: a thick crust, fluffy but crispy on the edges. Not "deep dish" in the Chicago sense, but thick and baked in a pan. I guess the difference is the cheese going to the edges.
"Detroit Style" is shoot off of Sicilian, I think. It's just generally thicker and again cooked specifically that the thicker crust caramelized with the oil and specifically with the cheese and sauce which extends right to the pan, giving it brownie like texture with dough. Traditional Sicilian, which square, does not have that brownie like texture.

As you mention, it is not deep dish like Chicago, which is layered in thicker in the pan and is a smaller pizza with way less dense of a dough.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Scraper wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:00 am
em2nought wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:19 pm Saw somebody review Giordano's and he really dug it. Might have to try it in Orlando.
I've had Giordano's in Chicago and oddly enough in Canton, Ohio. The Chicago one was really good if you like a lot of cheese. The Canton one was good but not as good as Chicago. My guess is the original restaurants still do it the right way and the chain ones drift a bit.

I do remember ordering 4 pizzas from the one in Chicago and the bill was a little over $200.00, so it's definatly expensive.
I'm still of a mind to try Giordano's one of these days, might need to make a facebook marketplace trip to Orlando. The best ample cheese pizza I ever had was a now defunct spot right next to the UF campus named Cassidy's Pizza in the early 80s. Their pizzas looked like bowls of bread that were hugely full of cheese and a bit of sauce. :wub:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

News voice: "In less than three weeks, the Pizza Wars 2013 will be entering its second decade, and the conflict has shown no signs of abating."
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

At the moment, I have to settle for Marco's, as Jet's is just to far away for me to be in the delivery zone.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I haven't had Jet's since before I started calorie counting. Now that I've hit my goal weight, maybe it's time splurge and eat a couple few slice of Jet's for three days straight. Man, I can imagine it right now.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Man, you guys eat some weird lasagna.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol:
He won. Period.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

slightly off topic. The town where I live only had 3 pizza shops until recently when Dominos opened. The wife and I decided to try it and holy crap was it garbage. I would rank it under Little Caesar's even. The breading was probably the worst part about it, followed closely by the sauce. Just bad all around. Luckily we do have two other locally owned pizza shops that are decent, but none of them are great.
FTE
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

My kids love Domino's. I think it tastes like an insult to pizza. But I will give them credit. No matter which Domino's location you use, the taste will be consistent.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

My favorite pizza near me is Krauses, which features a double crust. It's a thin layer of crust and cheese on top of the other ingredients. It's delicious. Hepcat may have had it back when he lived in Ohio.

FTE
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Scraper wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:16 pm slightly off topic. The town where I live only had 3 pizza shops until recently when Dominos opened. The wife and I decided to try it and holy crap was it garbage.
If you think Domino's is bad now you should have tried it in the 90s. They even crafted a whole marketing campaign around "we know our pizza sucks, and we intend to do something about it". I'm not sure that much honesty even exists anymore. :lol:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Scraper wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:19 pm My favorite pizza near me is Krauses, which features a double crust. It's a thin layer of crust and cheese on top of the other ingredients. It's delicious. Hepcat may have had it back when he lived in Ohio.

Hmmmm....never heard of them. They may not have had a presence in central Ohio when I grew up there though. But I may have to see if that's changed and order a few pies for our annual game day this Christmas holiday season.
He won. Period.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

hepcat wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:38 pm
Scraper wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:19 pm My favorite pizza near me is Krauses, which features a double crust. It's a thin layer of crust and cheese on top of the other ingredients. It's delicious. Hepcat may have had it back when he lived in Ohio.

Hmmmm....never heard of them. They may not have had a presence in central Ohio when I grew up there though. But I may have to see if that's changed and order a few pies for our annual game day this Christmas holiday season.
The closest one to New Philly is in Strasburg. If you order make sure to get the double crust.
FTE
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oh hell yeah, you just sealed the deal.
Thanks! The Manor in Strasburg closing left a pretty big hole in our plans.
He won. Period.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I have place around here, Vizzy's that make pizza pies like that.

http://vizzyspizza.com/menu.html

Oddly enough, the actual pizzas look way better than the picture in the menu.

Soooo good.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Scraper wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:16 pm slightly off topic. The town where I live only had 3 pizza shops until recently when Dominos opened. The wife and I decided to try it and holy crap was it garbage. I would rank it under Little Caesar's even. The breading was probably the worst part about it, followed closely by the sauce. Just bad all around. Luckily we do have two other locally owned pizza shops that are decent, but none of them are great.
I discovered today that a Dominoes opened even closer to us than one I thought was already too close. My wife is fond of garbage pizza, having nothing but in the Philippines. I can't see how they survive here in the land of awesome pizza options, however. That goes double for Pizza Slut and Papa Johns, both which are even closer.
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

the first Jet's Pizza opened in WA state in Lynnwood:

Code: Select all

https://www.reddit.com/r/Seattle/comments/19aygzh/dear_midwesterners/
really far away from Seattle, but i actually might be in Lynnwood on Monday on unrelated business...
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Apparently I never actually answered the core question. Here goes:

I've never had either one. Therefore my answer is "pizza style."
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Little Caesars Detroit three meat deep dish is now the way to go for me. As soon as I get it home it goes into a pan that's been liberally coated with butter to pan fry, and it receives a large measure of sautéed mushrooms on top. Lid on the pan to get everything good and hot. Bottom of pizza to a dark golden color. Maybe some black olives too. :wub: Crushed red pepper and shaker parm to finish it off.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

em2nought wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:53 pm Little Caesars Detroit three meat deep dish is now the way to go for me. As soon as I get it home it goes into a pan that's been liberally coated with butter to pan fry, and it receives a large measure of sautéed mushrooms on top. Lid on the pan to get everything good and hot. Bottom of pizza to a dark golden color. Maybe some black olives too. :wub: Crushed red pepper and shaker parm to finish it off.
That's getting close to a garbage pizza and a garbage Detroit Deep Dish is my absolute favorite. Ham, Pepperoni, Sausage, burger, bacon, green peppers, pepper rings, onions, mushrooms, black olives. :wub:
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hitbyambulance wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:47 pm the first Jet's Pizza opened in WA state in Lynnwood:

Code: Select all

https://www.reddit.com/r/Seattle/comments/19aygzh/dear_midwesterners/
really far away from Seattle, but i actually might be in Lynnwood on Monday on unrelated business...
Hopefully Lynnwood has better dining options.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:56 pm Apparently I never actually answered the core question. Here goes:

I've never had either one. Therefore my answer is "pizza style."
All pizza styles originated somewhere. The most common in the US is Sicilian, with variations. That's probably what you're thinking of as "pizza style."

I've probably already posted about South Shore bar pizza, our homegrown variety. It's very popular and ubiquitous in our very small geographic region. This place is walking distance from my house:

Enlarge Image

"BOSSS" is "Boston South Shore" and "Bah" is how we pronounce "bar." As you might expect, most SS bar pizza is made and served in bars, but this takeout place is doing brisk business.