I don't <gasp> like pizza!
1%
Gangnam
9%

Total votes: 76

Blackhawk

Re: [Pizza Wars 2013] Chicago style vs New York style

Post by Blackhawk »

Brian wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:13 pm I was hoping to revisit Pequod's on my return trip from Cancun since we had a five hour layover at Midway.

Unfortunately, as many are no doubt aware, Southwest has completely melted down and we ended up going through Denver instead.

So, sadly, another visit to Pequod's will just have to wait.
However, it seems you can order them online with overnight shipping so I may just have to do that.

Also, I've had one of their T-Shirts on my wishlist for a while but they are perpetually sold out. :(
So, it's become your white whale?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:03 am The only Monte Cristo I ever had was at Denny's, and I don't recall raspberries being a thing.
It has to have the raspberry dipping sauce, for a time Sweet Baby Ray's had a great raspberry chipotle bbq sauce that would have done nicely. Wish they would bring that back too.
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
Brian

Post by Brian »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:58 pm
Brian wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:13 pm
Also, I've had one of their T-Shirts on my wishlist for a while but they are perpetually sold out. :(
So, it's become your white whale?
“What I've dared, I've willed; and what I've willed, I'll do! They think me mad; but I'm demoniac, I am madness maddened! That wild madness that's only calm to comprehend itself! The prophecy was ... that I should be clad in a T-Shirt that doth bear the name of this very ship!"
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Inspired to get some Pequod's tonight.

FWIW, we were staying at an AirBnB in Lincoln Park a few weeks ago (staycation) and the wife ordered some Lou Malnati's carry out since it was half a block away. It was awful. The extra large was the size of a Pete's medium and the medium was smaller than a $4 frozen pizza. They were uncut (this was thin crust, not, deep dish), undercooked, and bland as all hell. There was some in the fridge the next day and we just threw it out. I have never, ever thrown out leftover pizza before. Seemed atypical for them. Not a huge fan but they've always been OK. But this was a joke. Like as soon as we opened the boxes we were like, "What the fuck is this?"
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
geezer

Post by geezer »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:35 pm Inspired to get some Pequod's tonight.

FWIW, we were staying at an AirBnB in Lincoln Park a few weeks ago (staycation) and the wife ordered some Lou Malnati's carry out since it was half a block away. It was awful. The extra large was the size of a Pete's medium and the medium was smaller than a $4 frozen pizza. They were uncut (this was thin crust, not, deep dish), undercooked, and bland as all hell. There was some in the fridge the next day and we just threw it out. I have never, ever thrown out leftover pizza before. Seemed atypical for them. Not a huge fan but they've always been OK. But this was a joke. Like as soon as we opened the boxes we were like, "What the fuck is this?"
Who gets thin crust at Lou's ???
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol:
He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:03 am The only Monte Cristo I ever had was at Denny's
That's like saying the only hot dog you've ever had was at Olive Garden.
He won. Period.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

geezer wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:57 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:35 pm Inspired to get some Pequod's tonight.

Whoever is feeding a bunch of 12-year-olds at a sleepover.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
geezer

Post by geezer »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:07 pm

12-year-olds are philistines.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

When I was 12 a Totino’s frozen pizza was the height of gourmet pizza making.
He won. Period.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:07 pm

Once, a friend from LA came to town for a wedding, the night before party was at Lou's. I believe that was the only time I ever had their thin crust, I don't recall it being remarkable one way or the other.

I used to work down the street from the Elk Grove Lou's and would often order their personal pan for lunch. 8 times out of ten, it was terrific. The other two times, the crust sopped up an inordinate amount of grease, rendering it near inedible. I never had this problem eating in at any of their restaurants.

Someone needs to advise Pequods to head west...far west.
Black Lives Matter
Brian

Post by Brian »

At least as far as Omaha would be great.

Heck, even Des Moines would work since I would happily drive two hours (four round trip) for some really good pizza.

When we lived in Phoenix we twice drove a couple hours up north to Flagstaff for the express purpose of visiting the closest Hu Hot Mongolian Grill to where we lived.
Holman

Post by Holman »

hepcat wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:15 pm When I was 12 a Totino’s frozen pizza was the height of gourmet pizza making.
For us it was Stouffer's frozen pizza on a french bread crust.

Even thinking of one takes me back to playing basement D&D and watching The Road Warrior on Showtime.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Brian wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:08 pm At least as far as Omaha would be great.

Heck, even Des Moines would work since I would happily drive two hours (four round trip) for some really good pizza.

When we lived in Phoenix we twice drove a couple hours up north to Flagstaff for the express purpose of visiting the closest Hu Hot Mongolian Grill to where we lived.
Did you ever try Pizzaria Bianco? Netflix has a series on pizzas and Chris Bianco has been called the best pizza maker in America. I’ve been anxious to try one after watching that series.
He won. Period.
Brian

Post by Brian »

hepcat wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:56 pm

Did you ever try Pizzaria Bianco? Netflix has a series on pizzas and Chris Bianco has been called the best pizza maker in America. I’ve been anxious to try one after watching that series.
Never even heard of it.

When we lived in Phoenix, our go to for pizza was a place called Fired Pie. It is a thin-crust, wood fired, build your own pizza place that was almost literally across the road from us.

If we wanted deep dish Chicago style pizza, we had to make a bit of trip into Scottsdale where we could choose from Lou Malnati's or Giordano's. Lou Malnati's uses big chunks of tomato on their pizza so that's a no go for me so it was Giordano's by default but...the wife doesn't like Chicago style deep dish so it was a pretty rare thing for us.

Also, I have two Pequod's pepperoni pizzas on order for delivery next week. So it looks like I won't be starting a New Years diet for a while yet.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Phoenix has a Rosati's in Glendale.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I learned how to make pizza with boxed Appian Way Thick Crust pizza. It was a packet of flour, a can of sauce, and a pouch of cheese that one could transform into a satisfying little pizza in half an hour with no culinary skill needed. When I looked for an image of the box for this post, I discovered that Appian Way only makes thin crust kits now. This is more evidence of the decline of civilization.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

When I make a pizza from scratch, I'll use a simple focaccia recipe (flour, yeast, sugar, water, a little EVOO). For sauce I'll use tomato/basil pasta sauce, sausage, pepperoni, shredded cheese. In the summer, I make bun-sized focaccia, cut them in half like a hamburger bun, use pesto for sauce, sliced roma tomatoes, fresh mozzarella slices, fresh basil, pepperoni slices, and shredded parmesan cheese.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Managed to get Pequod's yesterday. Place was packed and I was glad I was doing carry out. They appear to be hit hard by the labor shortage, their relatively new adjacent storefront was closed.

But service was great and the pizza was Pequod's.

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

Here in Philly there was a famous pop-up pizzeria ("Pizza Jawn") known for producing block-long lines wherever they appeared. A little while ago they finally settled on a brick-and-mortar location less than a mile from my house. They're take-out and delivery only, but they routinely sell out long before closing time.

They have limited hours and limited days, and I've never ordered from them until tonight. They opened for orders at 3:30, and the classic round NYC/Neapolitan hybrid style was already sold out when I ordered at 4:50. There are five of us in the house (two of them teenage boys), so we're getting a 16 inch Grandma style and a 9x9 inch Detroit style.

Apparently they're very popular, as my pizzas will be ready at 6:45. I will report the results.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Holman wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:37 pm Here in Philly there was a famous pop-up pizzeria ("Pizza Jawn") known for producing block-long lines wherever they appeared. A little while ago they finally settled on a brick-and-mortar location less than a mile from my house. They're take-out and delivery only, but they routinely sell out long before closing time.

They have limited hours and limited days, and I've never ordered from them until tonight. They opened for orders at 3:30, and the classic round NYC/Neapolitan hybrid style was already sold out when I ordered at 4:50. There are five of us in the house (two of them teenage boys), so we're getting a 16 inch Grandma style and a 9x9 inch Detroit style.

Apparently they're very popular, as my pizzas will be ready at 6:45. I will report the results.
Holy shit that was the best pizza any of us have ever eaten.

Toppings and sauce were top-notch, but the crust was everything. Everything.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Growing up in Ohio, our favorite pizza was from a place called Penso’s Pizza. It wasn’t until I moved away and tasted other pizzas that I realized it may well be one of the worst goddamn pizzas ever made. Imagine a square of spongy bread that quickly turns into a rubber like substance after you liberate a slice from its mothership. Each piece of pepperoni is carelessly sliced from what I can only imagine is a fat Slim Jim stick. To top it off….literally….the sauce is Ragu….but a generic version of Ragu sold off a truck. I’m sure if I ever saw the label on the sauce bottle, it would read Rogu or something.
He won. Period.
mori

Post by mori »

Kraken wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:56 am I discovered that Appian Way only makes thin crust kits now. This is more evidence of the decline of civilization.
More of a correction than decline.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:35 pm FWIW, we were staying at an AirBnB in Lincoln Park a few weeks ago (staycation) and the wife ordered some Lou Malnati's carry out since it was half a block away. It was awful. The extra large was the size of a Pete's medium and the medium was smaller than a $4 frozen pizza. They were uncut (this was thin crust, not, deep dish), undercooked, and bland as all hell. There was some in the fridge the next day and we just threw it out. I have never, ever thrown out leftover pizza before. Seemed atypical for them. Not a huge fan but they've always been OK. But this was a joke. Like as soon as we opened the boxes we were like, "What the fuck is this?"
I'm definitely not a fan of their thin crust - I'd take a local hole in the wall party cut over Lou's thin any time. Interesting that they didn't cut it - I know that's an option for deep dish (and it's much better to get the deep dish uncut), but I didn't know they'd do that for thin.
Brian wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:47 pm Lou Malnati's uses big chunks of tomato on their pizza so that's a no go for me so it was Giordano's by default but...the wife doesn't like Chicago style deep dish so it was a pretty rare thing for us.
Fun fact about Lou's sauce (for their deep dish, anyway) - it's just crushed tomatoes! They use a very specific type of tomato grown exclusively for them in California that are supposedly very similar to San Marzano tomatoes. They crush them up and put it on top of the pie, sprinkle with parmesan, and that's it.

When I make deep dish at home (in a style very similar to Lou's) I splurge and buy the San Marzano tomatoes and use them the same way - just crushed with some parmesan on top. It's remarkable how damn good those tomatoes are.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Brian

Post by Brian »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:55 pm It's remarkable how damn good those tomatoes are.
Assuming one is a fan of tomatoes.

Which I am not.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Pequod's pizza has been delivered.

Can't wait to get home tonight and heat that bad boy up.

AAR to follow later.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Pequod's Mail Order Pizza - A Review

Instructions state to preheat oven to 425 and then heat pizza for 15 minutes.
Honestly, I'd say give it at least 20 as the middle was still a bit cold after only 15 minutes so I tossed it back in there.

Fresh out of the oven:

Enlarge Image

Mmmm, check out that caramelization around the edges.

I was so eager to dig in that I didn't take a pic of the individual slice.
So, after finishing the first slice, I grabbed a pic of the second slice.

Enlarge Image

That thick crust was just the right amount of softness without being too doughy, the sauce was flavorful and robust and no gross chunks of tomato. Pepperoni was the perfect mix of well done crunchy slices around the edge mixed with softer, chewy slices towards the middle.

The pizza size allows for four slices so I ate the two and then stopped, saving the remaining two for lunch tomorrow which I will share with a co-worker who is excited to try his first Pequod's pizza.

While not quite as good as actually being there, this goes a long way towards satiating my desire for some authentic, deep-dish, Chicago style pizza.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Leonard, is that you?

He won. Period.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I got Leonard beat, getting ready to consume a Stouffer's French Bread Pizza for $3.00 :lol:

...and creamed spinach was on bogo so I've got the fixin's for some Applebee's veggie patch pizzas. :wink:
Brian

Post by Brian »

...aaaand acid reflux at 1 am.

Still worth it.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

NEXIUM!
He won. Period.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Brian wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:23 pm Pequod's Mail Order Pizza - A Review
there, this goes a long way towards satiating my desire for some authentic, deep-dish, Chicago style pizza.
always, when cooking a frozen deep dish pizza stick something into the center to make sure it is hot. If so, then it is probably cooked right. I made a Geno's East pizza the other day (available in most supermarkets around here), and as soon as the center was hot, the remainder was perfectly cooked. I could not abide by any pizza that was still cold in anyway.
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:32 pm always, when cooking a frozen deep dish pizza stick something into the center to make sure it is hot.
does my penis count
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Brian wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:19 am ...aaaand acid reflux at 1 am.

Still worth it.
My favorite near me is a place called Macianos. I also get acid reflux from them but none other in the area. But they are the best without traveling too far eat for Lou's. Usually I compromise with a Rosati's, but the Macianio's deem dish is significantly better.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

AWS260 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:33 pm
Jeff V wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:32 pm always, when cooking a frozen deep dish pizza stick something into the center to make sure it is hot.
does my penis count
Thankfully I’m not close enough hear it, so I can’t answer that.
He won. Period.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

does my penis count
probably just to 1.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

does my penis count
Are you not sure if your penis is hot? Is that a COVID symptom? I hope you don't have to swab to find out.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I'm going to think of pepperoni as someone's appendage when seen on pizza from now on, so thanks. :doh:
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Made a homemade Mediterranean Chicken Pizza. About 900 calories for the whole pizza. Soooo good.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I just had Detroit-style pizza for the first time and it was... exactly what people around here call a Sicilian. Don't get me wrong, it was delicious -- a really excellent Sicilian pie -- but I was kind of expecting something new.