Missing explosives [This kind of sucks]

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Enough

Post by Enough »

RunningMn9 wrote:Why aren't triggercut and Meghan in here to address these turns of events?

How will I know what Josh Marshall is telling me to think about all of this?
No one is telling you what to think RM9. :roll:

Although Josh is one hell of a writer and a pretty decent investigative one at that. But don't worry you still get to make up your own mind. :P
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Enough wrote:No one is telling you what to think RM9. :roll:
That's just my way of needling trig to get him to come back here after his previous condascending rebuttal seems to be thoroughly shut down.

And maybe I missed something - but the only thing that I heard out of the WH was that the materials weren't verified by the 101st Airborne, and that Kerry is talking out of his ass without all the facts.

The 3ID story was offered (in this thread anyway), by the anti-WH forces. Until the commander of the 3ID said that they never searched for the crap.

I'm particularly concerned that the IAEA "seals" don't actually seal anything. WTF is the point then?
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Enough

Post by Enough »

This story is pretty interesting. Lot's of pics of explosives even from embeds.

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Enough

Post by Enough »

RunningMn9 wrote:
Enough wrote:No one is telling you what to think RM9. :roll:
That's just my way of needling trig to get him to come back here after his previous condescending rebuttal seems to be thoroughly shut down.

And maybe I missed something - but the only thing that I heard out of the WH was that the materials weren't verified by the 101st Airborne, and that Kerry is talking out of his ass without all the facts.

The 3ID story was offered (in this thread anyway), by the anti-WH forces. Until the commander of the 3ID said that they never searched for the crap.

I'm particularly concerned that the IAEA "seals" don't actually seal anything. WTF is the point then?

No worries, I was just needling ya right back, especially since I posted some stuff earlier in the thread. I guess I wasn't condescending enough to be noticed. :o

The 3ID story was actually being used by ND's Captain's Quarters Blog and in particular depended on the 3ID doing a thorough search to be valid. In my mind neither of them are anti-WH forces. Just in case you missed it in his original post:
What is relevant is that 3ID was there and did conduct a thorough search of the complex.
Well we know now that they didn't do a thorough search.

noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Enough wrote:
Although Josh is one hell of a writer and a pretty decent investigative one at that. But don't worry you still get to make up your own mind. :P
I'll agree with a good writer, but now he's been mistaken about 3 'major' stories in the last 6 months. I can't accept pretty decent investigative one.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

You spelled "condescending" wrong.

Anyway, the ABC News story is interesting, in that it seems to say that there were, what, only 197 tons of explosives there? Ok. 194 tons were the "more dangerous" (their quotes) HMX. Apparently the RDX was gone.

That's still a crapload of explosives.

We now know that the folks from the 3ID didn't search (Qaqaa is apparently a fairly huge complex) thoroughly either. We also know the explosives aren't there.

We also have a White House changing stories every 6 hours on this, depending on what's being reported in the news. Curiously enough, if the stuff was removed by Saddam before the invasion, such a large-scale operation *should* be on satellite recon photos. Where are those photos? They'd sure exonerate the President, wouldn't they?

There's a reason we're not seeing those photos, I'd suspect.

Meanwhile, while all this is going on, we have the Times talking to looters who reported that when they got to Qaqaa, everything was in order.

Atrios, meanwhile, has this story from a news crew at Qaqaa with the 3ID. Apparently they went around cutting the bolts and locks on a bunch of bunkers that contained "unidentified" material marked as explosive as well as detonation cord....

...and then moving out.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

noxiousdog wrote:
Enough wrote:
I'll agree with a good writer, but now he's been mistaken about 3 'major' stories in the last 6 months. I can't accept pretty decent investigative one.
Which 3?
Enough

Post by Enough »

triggercut wrote: Atrios, meanwhile, has this story from a news crew at Qaqaa with the 3ID. Apparently they went around cutting the bolts and locks on a bunch of bunkers that contained "unidentified" material marked as explosive as well as detonation cord....

...and then moving out.
So Trig, do you read my posts at all? :lol:

Enough

Post by Enough »

triggercut wrote:
noxiousdog wrote:
Enough wrote:
Which 3?
And with what we know about 3ID now, I'm sure you'll be heaping scorn on Captain's Quaters and retract your previous post too right? :twisted:

Edit: Question to ND, duh.

triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Enough wrote:
triggercut wrote: Atrios, meanwhile, has this story from a news crew at Qaqaa with the 3ID. Apparently they went around cutting the bolts and locks on a bunch of bunkers that contained "unidentified" material marked as explosive as well as detonation cord....

...and then moving out.
So, enough, do you realize that I'm typing from a blackberry right now, and that takes some fucking time?
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Enough wrote:
Yeah, this story does keep changing, eh?
Duh. Of course the story keeps changing. That's what happens when irresponsible reporters get a hold of a story that may or may not be true, but it's significant enough that a man running for president uses it to attack the other. It was frontpage news even. What do you expect the White House to do? Pretend like the story doesn't exist? By the time the facts are out, the election could be over.
Now this 3ID searched it theory you posted yesterday is dead in the water.
Yes and no. Yes, the 3ID did search the complex as they found the thousands of white power vials. No, they didn't do a thorough search to definitively rule on the existence/nonexistence of HDX/RDX. The irony to this, of course, is that the anti-Bush argument is that the 3ID FOUND the HDX/RDX but by the time the 101st showed up they were gone.

Whether or not the 3ID didn't find anything is irrelevent because Col. Perkins agrees with my hypothesis that:
it was "very highly improbable" that enemy forces could have trucked out such a huge amount of explosives in the weeks after U.S. forces first arrived there, considering the high level of U.S. military presence and how clogged the roads around the site were with U.S. convoys.
And we already knew that the 101st, who arrived at the facility after 3ID, also didn't do any searches. And of course now we have the ABC article that the amount of explosives there could have been considerably less. Which if true would be a relief, but this story still brings up the old issue of us not doing a good job protecting critical sites from looters following the downfall of Saddam (see the article in today's NYTs).
How, exactly, if the explosives were gone before March 31 (which appears to be the more likely explanation), does this affect the looting after March 31?
The one thing I will note is it seems the spin is out of control on this story. The Bush administration keeps running with whatever story and when it dies like the original NBC one they shift on to the next. Pretty curious behavior regardless of what happened. It's also odd that the military keeps contradicting the latest WH story. And given how the story continues to change day by day I am not convinced yet that the ABC report is even correct. We shall see.
Be honest. Admit you'll accept nearly all anti-Bush stories until they can be proved false. IIRC you stuck to the Dan Rather story long after anyone else besides Unbreakable.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

triggercut wrote: Curiously enough, if the stuff was removed by Saddam before the invasion, such a large-scale operation *should* be on satellite recon photos. Where are those photos? They'd sure exonerate the President, wouldn't they?

There's a reason we're not seeing those photos, I'd suspect.
Probably because if you were going to move military explosives you'd do it when there wasn't satellite coverage (satellites are easy to spot if you don't have light pollution)? Or maybe you'd park the truck in a garage when you load it?
Black Lives Matter

Enough

Post by Enough »

noxiousdog wrote: Be honest. Admit you'll accept nearly all anti-Bush stories until they can be proved false. IIRC you stuck to the Dan Rather story long after anyone else besides Unbreakable.
Wow, I'll try to not take that one personally. But misrepresenting me and linking me with Unbreakable/tony72 in one single post is pretty fucking low dude. I didn't stick with the Rather story, rather I kept an open mind that is was constantly changing and didn't immediately jump to the conclusion it was false like you did. I typically watch a major story such as that develop over the course of at least a week before I make my mind up about it. And I sure as hell don't blindly accept any story whether it's anti-Bush or not.

Edit: gah, bbcode invasion.

Enough

Post by Enough »

triggercut wrote:
Enough wrote:

...and then moving out.
So, enough, do you realize that I'm typing from a blackberry right now, and that takes some fucking time?
No I didn't, but it's not the first time you have re-posted stuff I already have. :P

Exodor

Post by Exodor »

noxiousdog wrote:
Probably because if you were going to move military explosives you'd do it when there wasn't satellite coverage (satellites are easy to spot if you don't have light pollution)? Or maybe you'd park the truck in a garage when you load it?
But we're talking about at least 197 tons of explosives - it's not like you just back in a Rider truck and fill it.

If our intelligence abilties are so bad that they missed an entire convoy of trucks leaving a known weapons site, then we're in even more danger than I thought.
WAW

Post by WAW »

Josh Marshall has a link up to a local News channel. They there embedded with the 101st. Image This may be match.
You want to know how I did it? This is how I did it, Anton. I never saved anything for the swim back!
WW
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Exodor wrote:
noxiousdog wrote:
But we're talking about at least 197 tons of explosives - it's not like you just back in a Rider truck and fill it.

If our intelligence abilties are so bad that they missed an entire convoy of trucks leaving a known weapons site, then we're in even more danger than I thought.
Well, when it was 380 tons of explosives, it was conjectured that it would take 40 trucks.

How conspicuous would 2 trucks per day for 10 days leaving an industrial complex be?
Black Lives Matter

noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Enough wrote:
noxiousdog wrote: Be honest. Admit you'll accept nearly all anti-Bush stories until they can be proved false. IIRC you stuck to the Dan Rather story long after anyone else besides Unbreakable.
Wow, I'll try to not take that one personally. But misrepresenting me and linking me with Unbreakable/tony72 in one single post is pretty fucking low dude. I didn't stick with the Rather story, rather I kept an open mind that is was constantly changing and didn't immediately jump to the conclusion it was false like you did.

It's not personal at all. It's just an observation.

Are you saying you didn't stick with the Dan Rather story long after everyone else (besides UB)? And I certainly could be wrong. I've slept since then. I will certainly give you the benefit of the doubt at this point. Maybe I am getting you confused with another poster.

And the only reason UB is in there is because he never gave it up, so it would be incorrect for me to say you stuck with it long after everyone else.

I typically watch a major story such as that develop over the course of at least a week before I make my mind up about it. And I sure as hell don't blindly accept any story whether it's anti-Bush or not.
After further review, I see you are correct. You have been very even handed (though I do find the issue with WH response kind of odd). My apologies.

I'm sincerely sorry for any mischaracterizations I have placed upon you.
Black Lives Matter

triggercut

Post by triggercut »

The white stuff in the drums is interesting, to be sure.

But I don't know what it is, and neither does the news crew, or Atrios, or JMM, or anyone else except maybe for experts in that field.

After seeing both Republicans and Democrats jump to conclusions on this all over the place, maybe we should wait and see what some weapons experts say about it?
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Exodor wrote:If our intelligence abilties are so bad that they missed an entire convoy of trucks leaving a known weapons site, then we're in even more danger than I thought.
Now wait a second. Are you realizing what you are saying here.

We've already discovered that this was a "Level 2" site - which I'm assuming is *not* the top priority site. It's a big country, and it's not like we have geosynchronous satellites watching AQQ 24/7.

And if they had months to do it (assuming that the IAEA claim that the "seals" aren't actually "seals"), then we don't even know that we'd be looking for a giant convoy of vehicles all leaving the facility in broad daylight at high noon.

I'm assuming that since they know it was sealed, that they might have to be a little secretive about moving it...no?
Make up bags of change
Mr. Sparkle

Post by Mr. Sparkle »

Are the explosives missing or not?
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Mr. Sparkle wrote:Are the explosives missing or not?
They are missing. But it seems that no one can really establish when they went missing. Which is sort of important with the election next week.
Make up bags of change
noun

Post by noun »

As Jon Stewart said last night, "so the problem isn't that we were incompetent, it's that we were ignorant."

Really, the explanation doesn't make anyone look very intelligent, does it?
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

noun wrote:As Jon Stewart said last night, "so the problem isn't that we were incompetent, it's that we were ignorant."

Ignorant about what? What explanation?
Black Lives Matter

noun

Post by noun »

noxiousdog wrote:
noun wrote:As Jon Stewart said last night, "so the problem isn't that we were incompetent, it's that we were ignorant."

"OMGZ! 380 tons of explosives missing, WTF!"

Answers thus far:

1) The explosives were gone before we got there.
2) We didn't know those were explosives.
3) 380 tons is an exaggeration, the number was far less than that.
4) Actually, we're not sure those were explosives at all, but check out these mystery white drums.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

noun wrote:
noxiousdog wrote:

Answers thus far:

4) Actually, we're not sure those were explosives at all, but check out these mystery white drums.
I have no idea what you mean by 2 and 4.

So, what then would have been your response?
Black Lives Matter

noun

Post by noun »

noxiousdog wrote:
noun wrote:
noxiousdog wrote:

Answers thus far:

I have no idea what you mean by 2 and 4.

So, what then would have been your response?
Uh, what? This conversation isn't going to turn into one of those goofy "unless you've done the job yourself, you have no room to criticize" ones, is it?
Eco-Logic

Post by Eco-Logic »

What did you mean by 2 and 4?

And the fact that everything is pointing to #1 being the most likely scenario pretty much flies in the face of the ignorant comment.
noun

Post by noun »

2 is about the whole business with them not being labeled IAEA. Simplified, yes, but I wasn't planning on actually having to elaborate on Jon Stewart's original joke.

4 was primarily an offhanded comment.

And if 1 really is the case, doesn't that go back to our being incompetent? "They had 380 tons of explosives once upon a time, but I'm SURE they'll still be there a few months from now!"
Enough

Post by Enough »

noxiousdog wrote:
Enough wrote:
Wow, I'll try to not take that one personally. But misrepresenting me and linking me with Unbreakable/tony72 in one single post is pretty fucking low dude. I didn't stick with the Rather story, rather I kept an open mind that is was constantly changing and didn't immediately jump to the conclusion it was false like you did.

It's not personal at all. It's just an observation.

Are you saying you didn't stick with the Dan Rather story long after everyone else (besides UB)? And I certainly could be wrong. I've slept since then. I will certainly give you the benefit of the doubt at this point. Maybe I am getting you confused with another poster.

And the only reason UB is in there is because he never gave it up, so it would be incorrect for me to say you stuck with it long after everyone else.

I typically watch a major story such as that develop over the course of at least a week before I make my mind up about it. And I sure as hell don't blindly accept any story whether it's anti-Bush or not.
After further review, I see you are correct. You have been very even handed (though I do find the issue with WH response kind of odd). My apologies.

I'm sincerely sorry for any mischaracterizations I have placed upon you.
Thanks a lot for that ND. Apology fully accepted and I'm sorry for reacting so strongly to your post. I made myself look pretty silly too. I am also sorry for bagging on Trig, hell that one story has now been posted three times alone in this thread. It's bound to happen regularly whether we all read each other's posts or not. I'll be returning to being a mostly sane individual now. :D

P.S. I think part of the confusion over my stance on the CBS story is that I'm pretty sure I was the one who posted the thread that cited the original CBS story.

Snow

Post by Snow »

Whatever ends up happening, I just can't fathom all the attention being paid to 380 (170?) tons of "missing" explosives over a year after the fact was originally reported. Where's the context considering 400,000 tons are accounted for? To draw an imperfect analogy, this is worse than reading a fantastic book only to castigate it for spelling "the" as "teh" on page 2,050. I know this is the politcal season, but is this truly a knockout politcal issue?!?

I also can't fathom why people feel its easier to believe that some looters would have moved all this stuff after the area had been overrun with US troops than in the months previously while still under Iraqi control.

Well, either way I suppose we'll learn all of the facts of this amazing development in time :wink:
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Possible eyewitness evidence of the explosives being there post-invasion (with thanks to Andrew Sullivan):

5 EYEWITNESS NEWS crew in Iraq shortly after the fall of Saddam Hussein was in the area where tons of explosives disappeared, and may have videotaped some of those weapons.

Using GPS technology and talking with members of the 101st Airborne Division, 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS has determined the crew embedded with the troops may have been on the southern edge of the Al Qaqaa installation, where the ammunition disappeared. The news crew was based just south of Al Qaqaa, and drove two or three miles north of there with soldiers on April 18, 2003.

During that trip, members of the 101st Airborne Division showed the 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS news crew bunker after bunker of material labelled "explosives." Usually it took just the snap of a bolt cutter to get into the bunkers and see the material identified by the 101st as detonation cords.
Note all the qualifiers...
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Exodor wrote:Possible eyewitness evidence of the explosives being there post-invasion (with thanks to Andrew Sullivan):

5 EYEWITNESS NEWS crew in Iraq shortly after the fall of Saddam Hussein was in the area where tons of explosives disappeared, and may have videotaped some of those weapons.

Using GPS technology and talking with members of the 101st Airborne Division, 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS has determined the crew embedded with the troops may have been on the southern edge of the Al Qaqaa installation, where the ammunition disappeared. The news crew was based just south of Al Qaqaa, and drove two or three miles north of there with soldiers on April 18, 2003.

During that trip, members of the 101st Airborne Division showed the 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS news crew bunker after bunker of material labelled "explosives." Usually it took just the snap of a bolt cutter to get into the bunkers and see the material identified by the 101st as detonation cords.
Note all the qualifiers...
Careful, or Enough will have you bitchslapped to kingdom come!

(:D)
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

ABC news showed some of the video on tonight's telecast.

triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Actually, both Exodor and Enough can bitchslap me.

Apparently that affiliate has released more footage, and this new footage shows that the bunkers with the white powder were sealed with IAEA seals (which look like big, mean padlocks with soft metal around them).

That sure looks like the droids we're looking for.....[/img]
Meghan

Post by Meghan »

RM9 - I haven't posted because nothing new has happened that changes my opinon of the problem. New stuff today has turned up though.

What we have here is a known site where highly dangerous explosives were stored. That's a fact.

The explosives were there immediately prior to the US invasion. That's fact too.

When a US troops looked in the place, they found a bunch of stuff labeled "explosives." More facts.

A new and inconvenient fact - US troops & reporters saw boxes of explosives and materials under IAEA seal on April 18.

Occam's razor - "the explosives" were the ones we had records for and expected to find there.

I am unconvinced by your attempt to wave your fingers and say, "these are not the explosives you're looking for."

If you want to claim that these were random, unrelated and unimportant explosives, good luck with that, pal! But the burden of proof is on you for it.

Until then I will continue to believe that the explosives were the ones we knew for a fact were there before the invasion.

Re the ABC news story - they've got footage of boxes of stuff with "Al Qa Qa" stamped on it . New developments today Shows them in Al Qa Qa examing doors with IAEA seals on them. This is around April 18th. LOOOOONG after the US troops claimed to be in control of the area.

In other words, the stuff was nominally under US protection as of April 18, although the ABC team reports that "protection" is a very poor description for what was going on.

Snow, the reason this is relevent is because it raises questions about the way the war in Iraq was conducted and the people - specifically, The Person, who was responsible for it all and who is up for job review next Tuesday.
If I ventured in the slipstream / between the viaducts of your dream

aka merneith, aka kylhwch
Meghan

Post by Meghan »

oh, I haven't seen this mentioned yet - this AP report that they have a video of a hither-to-unknown group of terrorists claiming to have the explosives. Seems pretty fishy but who knows.

They claim they got the stuff through coordinating with US intelligence & officers but I wouldn't believe that on their say so.

Meghan

Post by Meghan »

IAEA inspector confirms that the barrels in the April 18th video from ABC are the barrels he saw during IAEA inspections.
Experts who have studied the images say the barrels on the tape contain the high explosive HMX, and the U.N. markings on the barrels are clear.

"I talked to a former inspector who's a colleague of mine, and he confirmed that, indeed, these pictures look just like what he remembers seeing inside those bunkers," said David Albright, president of the Institute for Science and International Security in Washington.

The barrels were found inside sealed bunkers, which American soldiers are seen on the videotape cutting through.
sigh - miscellaneous other stuff

1. the re the vials of white powder - RDX is a white powder. HMX is a solid by product of RDX. Cl-20 crystalline explosive more powerful than HMX. (It's missing too, but only about 5 tons of it so no big deal really.)Link to explosives ifno

2. Media Matters reviews the Brit Hume special report on Fox :FOX's Special Report tag team made false claims about missing explosives

3. An exhaustive look at the false reporting on this story, also at Media Matters Conservatives seized on NBC report for bogus defense of Bush good summation with links - sums up what we've been talking about here.

but honestly, after the ABC video this all pretty much game over.

RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Meghan wrote:The explosives were there immediately prior to the US invasion. That's fact too.
Not to ignore the rest of your case, but let's stop right there. According to other evidence presented in this thread - the last time this stuff was seen prior to the invasion was in July of 2002, when it was declared and sealed. As I recall, they said that they checked the "seals" in January of 2003. That was it. According to *some* of the evidence presented (for a moment your going to have to accept that I am going to weigh ND's links equally against your links/assertions - I'm not prepared to declare it a fact because you believe the links you have - when other links contradict them) - those weapons absolutely were *NOT* verified immediately before the invasion.

And on top of that - I'm still really rather surprised at the anonymous IAEA person telling us that the "seals" really don't seal anything in, and that the explosives could have been removed without disturbing the seal.

So. Showing me video of these soldiers and those soldiers looking at some white barrels, or finding "thousands" of small boxes of white powder really isn't sufficient to establish that the 377/349/149/3/whatever tons of materials were positively ID'd and inventoried (and weighed) by the 3ID (which claims it did no such thing) or the 101st Airborne (which claims it did no such thing). Although one did say that their cursory examination showed "explosives".

Further, if it is true that we've secured 400,000 tons of explosives and/or other nasty nonsense - it's a real tough sell to get me to scream about less than 150 tons of explosives that may or may not have been nabbed at what was designated a Level 2 facility (which sounds like it's not the highest priority).

Which gets back to my original posts. It's a big fucking country with a lot of explosives and weapons caches. What were we doing if not guarding this facility (assuming that the materials were there in April)? If we were in the process of securing the OTHER 400,000 tons of nastiness, I'm incline to not care about this.

That's less than 4 HUNDREDTHS of a percent (0.0375%) of what we did secure. Did I suddenly wake up in a world where anything less than 100% perfection is to be deemed complete and total incompetence.

Wake me up when you find evidence that the quantities of explosives that were discovered by the 3ID or the 101st Airborne or Mr. Clean or whomever is claiming that all X (regardless of what X is) tons of this crap was missing, and that we weren't frying bigger fish at the time.

Then we can get to the rest of your "facts".
Make up bags of change
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

No, if this works the way it normally does, RM9 will come up with some way to interpret the video of the explosives as conclusive evidence that the explosives were not there. You doubted he could do it with the 9/11 report, you didn't see any way he could pull it out with the Duelfer report, but he's managed to surprise us every time.