Home Projects (upkeep/repair/mods/cool sh*t/advice/question)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Carpet_pissr

Re: Home Projects (upkeep/repair/mods/cool sh*t/advice/quest

Post by Carpet_pissr »

malchior wrote:Yea, I'll try to find a way to take good shot. I actually added a light pole on Friday morning on one corner of the pool. At some time in the past it was there but was removed and there was just a wire sticking out of the ground. I dug a new post hole and installed a pole there again. I had a big party on Saturday so I didn't want the loose wire there and it added some light to a darker corner of the backyard.

My pool area is apparently quite nice (lacking reference I thought it was standard) -- but I am getting the liner done next month and the pool guy was talking about how easy the job was going to be and how modern - well laid out everything was. Guess that is a good sign.

Edit: As to the trees - I'd recommend some distance. The leaves are a bitch. Even mid-season a windy storm can really drop quite a few leaves into a pool. I have a lot of trees around and it isn't "awful" so if it was one tree...it probably won't be bad but factor in how much shade you'll create and whether that is desirable for maintaining water temperature versus people having a refuge when it's real sunny / etc.

The trunk is probably at least 15 feet off a corner of the pool (grecian) adjacent to the biggest portion of the deck.
Heh...not sure where you are located, but water temps are not a problem here...at all. In fact, I know some that use fountains to try and aerate the water to bring the temps down a little. We have not reached that point yet, but we have had CRAZY unusual rains so far (like constant rain for a week or more), so I am sure that has kept our temps down. This morning my pool water was about 80º I guess...at 8am (and it did rain yesterday).

I am looking for a rather shortish tree, to provide enough shade to complement the umbrella/table we have, but not big enough to cause root problems with concrete (or worse still, the pool basin itself!), or to cause a huge cleanup problem year round.

That's why I was thinking Coral Bark Jap. Maple...though it is VERY slow growing, so not sure that is going to be best choice. Also not sure how great of a shade tree it is. I guess I could look at those very nice (esp fall color), but moderately sized Trident Maples. I think that particular tree has some of the most spectacular fall foliage, and color variation, of any other tree:

Enlarge Image
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

silverjon wrote:I guess I'll post this here instead of the garden thread, since it's more a thing about ornamentals and landscaping than growing food, but I got an "In Bloom" nomination this year, which is a pretty-yard competition held in my city. This has been a long-term goal of mine, but I wasn't expecting it for a while. Honestly, I'm kind of shocked it came now since there are piles of building materials lying around, untrimmed grass along the edges of flower beds, etc. I guess the flowers have looked nice enough to draw the casual observer's eye away from all that.

I feel especially pleased about it because the yard is a product of my design and labour, largely accomplished with scavenged plants and materials. You see a lot of nominees where their yard looks like it came out of a magazine, and was likely professionally designed and put together. Mine is rougher around the edges, but it's personal.
PLEASE post a pic...I really dig great examples of good landscaping. And congrats!

I often think the same way when someone makes a comment about how good my yard looks, and it's hard for me to see past the: big pile of mulch still in front yard, untrimmed loropetalums on the side, random tools strewn about, etc.
WPD

Post by WPD »

Kelric wrote:
em2nought wrote:Not quite sure what you're trying to do.......
I have a furnace in the basement w/ forced hot air through ducts in the floor. I live in a condo, so I can not put anything outside for the air conditioner / condensing unit. In theory I can add a cooling appliance in the basement to cool my house. I just don't know how to go about it. (Note: I am NOT going to do it myself. Just researching what I would need to hire people to do.)
Call a couple different contractors and get estimates. While they are there, they should describe fairly accurately what they see needs to be done. If the work they describe is similar to each other, then you should have a good idea. If the work is not similar, then call some more!
Later ya'll.

Post by Default »

Carpet_pissr wrote: I often think the same way when someone makes a comment about how good my yard looks, and it's hard for me to see past the: big pile of mulch still in front yard, untrimmed loropetalums on the side, random tools strewn about, etc.
It takes much longer than you think for the "evidence" to decompose, ya know? But I digress...

Make sure that whatever you chose plays nice with your grass. The city insists on planting Norway maples and those damned things kill your lawn for as far as the root system can reach.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Not sure if it was in this thread or another, but I know someone asked me to post a pic of the zip line I put up in my back yard. Too bad you can't see the line itself in the pic, but it goes from the dogwood tree in the foreground, down to the larger diameter tree on the opposite end of the yard. It's about 80' or 90' more or less (but sure doesn't look it in the pic). I am 5'10 and can walk anywhere in the grass under the line and my head is not even close to touching it, to give you a sense of the height (which again, the pic does not for some reason.) Really needs to be higher for the bigger kids, since their weight pulls it down too much. But for this little guy, it's quite a ride!

Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

I am tackling my dripping bathtub tap again this weekend after attempt #1 last weekend failed. It's a single-handle Delta faucet (with the big crystal knob), and I apparently need to replace the cartridge inside. When I tried last weekend, I was unable to unscrew the chrome trim ring that I need to remove to swap out the cartridges. It's a smooth chrome ring, and I couldn't budge it by hand or get a grip with channel locks (I didn't squeeze too hard for fear of crushing it) so it's probably mineralized in there pretty good. This week I got some strap wrenches to get a better grip without as much fear of doing damage, and I'm going to try to soak the connection in vinegar (wrap soaked paper towels around it) for a while to try to dissolve some of the deposits.

Has anyone done this repair before? What are my chances with vinegar? I'd rather try that first before going to something like CLR or Liquid Wrench. I'm mainly concerned about torquing it so hard that I somehow damage a connection inside the wall, which will turn into $$$.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Freezer-TPF- wrote:I am tackling my dripping bathtub tap again this weekend after attempt #1 last weekend failed. It's a single-handle Delta faucet (with the big crystal knob), and I apparently need to replace the cartridge inside. When I tried last weekend, I was unable to unscrew the chrome trim ring that I need to remove to swap out the cartridges. It's a smooth chrome ring, and I couldn't budge it by hand or get a grip with channel locks (I didn't squeeze too hard for fear of crushing it) so it's probably mineralized in there pretty good. This week I got some strap wrenches to get a better grip without as much fear of doing damage, and I'm going to try to soak the connection in vinegar (wrap soaked paper towels around it) for a while to try to dissolve some of the deposits.

Has anyone done this repair before? What are my chances with vinegar? I'd rather try that first before going to something like CLR or Liquid Wrench. I'm mainly concerned about torquing it so hard that I somehow damage a connection inside the wall, which will turn into $$$.
Yeah, I ended up ripping out the wall and putting in a new faucet the last time I did this. But the faucet was very old, and it was not a cartridge I needed to replace, but the stem and washers. So I figured I would need to rip out the wall. Sorry, wish I had more to offer. I know the guys at this old house always make it look super easy. :)
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

Vinegar generally descales things beautifully if you give it enough time. Keep it wet as best you can.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

silverjon wrote:Vinegar generally descales things beautifully if you give it enough time. Keep it wet as best you can.
Is it possible to damage the chrome fixtures if I leave it on too long? I was going to give it a couple of hours at least, using straight white vinegar.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Freezer-TPF- wrote:
silverjon wrote:Vinegar generally descales things beautifully if you give it enough time. Keep it wet as best you can.
Is it possible to damage the chrome fixtures if I leave it on too long? I was going to give it a couple of hours at least, using straight white vinegar.
Googling suggests it can and I would think a couple of hours is too long. I believe it is actually using the acid to etch the surface and bring out that shine, so too long could do funky things. But then I'm some random googler on the internet, so I certainly wouldn't trust me. :)

Do you have a spare piece lying around somewhere you can test it out on?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

stessier wrote:
Freezer-TPF- wrote:
Googling suggests it can and I would think a couple of hours is too long. I believe it is actually using the acid to etch the surface and bring out that shine, so too long could do funky things. But then I'm some random googler on the internet, so I certainly wouldn't trust me. :)

Do you have a spare piece lying around somewhere you can test it out on?
No spare piece, but I guess I really don't care if it does a little cosmetic damage as long as it doesn't affect the functionality and it lets me get the @#$@#$ thing off. I think I'll try wrapping a soaked paper towel around it for 30-60 min and go from there. If it still won't budge, I'll resoak for another 30-60 min, etc. I guess I could wait until I actually get it to loosen before cutting the main water and continuing with the repair, as I don't want to keep cutting the water on/off each time I try.

Post by Default »

Freezer-TPF- wrote:I am tackling my dripping bathtub tap again this weekend after attempt #1 last weekend failed. It's a single-handle Delta faucet (with the big crystal knob), and I apparently need to replace the cartridge inside. When I tried last weekend, I was unable to unscrew the chrome trim ring that I need to remove to swap out the cartridges. It's a smooth chrome ring, and I couldn't budge it by hand or get a grip with channel locks (I didn't squeeze too hard for fear of crushing it) so it's probably mineralized in there pretty good. This week I got some strap wrenches to get a better grip without as much fear of doing damage, and I'm going to try to soak the connection in vinegar (wrap soaked paper towels around it) for a while to try to dissolve some of the deposits.

Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Victory! The $9 strap wrench I got from Amazon worked like a magic charm to loosen the smooth chrome trim ring that holds the Delta cartridge in place. I didn't even have to crack open the vinegar. I replaced the cartridge in the master bath and the other upstairs bath, which was also dripping but not as badly. All fixed with no more drips. That is damn satisfying.

:dance:
malchior

Post by malchior »

I love strap wrenches. They have gotten me out of tons of jams. Need to loosen the water tight compartment on a pool thermometer? Strap wrench. Stuck cap on a chlorine carboy? Strap wrench. It gets amazing grip on whatever fixture you need and doesn't tear plastic up.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I've also discovered the wonder of the strap wrench recently - never really had a use for one before owning a pool, but with all the water...tight fixtures I work with, it has become invaluable, and literally nothing else I had in my garage, tool-wise, would have worked. Well, that's not true, I could probably have managed with a long handled pliers + paper towels or something so as not to strip, but why risk it. Very cheap solution in a strap wrench. Also amusing to see the wife's reaction on seeing it: what in the world is THAT for? And do you really need that? :D

They are particularly great at loosening overtight union collars.

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Freezer-TPF- wrote:Victory! The $9 strap wrench I got from Amazon worked like a magic charm to loosen the smooth chrome trim ring that holds the Delta cartridge in place. I didn't even have to crack open the vinegar. I replaced the cartridge in the master bath and the other upstairs bath, which was also dripping but not as badly. All fixed with no more drips. That is damn satisfying.

Congrats!

Curious to know what the cost of the cartridge was vs. cost to replace whole fixture?
Shinjin

Post by Shinjin »

So ... I used to work out of a basement office. It would often have an ... odd ... odor. But nothing too disturbing. Fast forward to about 6 months ago. I'm on a different, office-located job over the summer when I get a call from home: "I smell natural gas in the basement!"

We contact the local gas company and they send someone out. "Oh, that's just a sewer smell. Make sure the P-traps in your basement all have water in them and you'll be fine."

A couple of weeks later we end up calling the gas company again. It's the weekend and I'm at home. This time it's a different guy and he sticks around long enough (after I point out out that the odor is strongest in the room with the furnance & water heater) to identify a faulty valve on the water. It only leaks when gas is actively flowing, such as when the water heater is actively heating.

The water heater is under parts warranty and we pay to get the valve replaced. Hurray!

A couple of weeks later (still summer), I get another phone call at work regarding the same issue. This time the gas company sends the same guy as last time. He checks the valve, just like last time. This time the valve is functioning as it should. Further, there is no obvious odious leak while he is here. He speculates that maybe the exhaust vent is leaking, but only when the ducts are cold. Later on in the day the ducts are warmer and the gaps have closed. He further speculates that while the valve was faulty, perhaps it was not the primary source of the problem.

Fast forward to this weekend. I finally remove the cap from the exhaust vent on the chimney. I shine a flashlight down the vent while my wife is in the basement. We identify some gaps in the vents that I seal up with some silver tape.

The following morning, following consecutive hot-water showers (which typically triggered the smel), the basement does not have that odd/sewer/natural gas additive smell. I think we finally have it licked!
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
Freezer-TPF- wrote:Victory! The $9 strap wrench I got from Amazon worked like a magic charm to loosen the smooth chrome trim ring that holds the Delta cartridge in place. I didn't even have to crack open the vinegar. I replaced the cartridge in the master bath and the other upstairs bath, which was also dripping but not as badly. All fixed with no more drips. That is damn satisfying.

Congrats!

Curious to know what the cost of the cartridge was vs. cost to replace whole fixture?
Cartridge was $38 at Home Depot. An OEM trim replacement kit (backplate, knob, cartridge, etc. looks like $59, but I think it is missing the escutcheon and dastardly retaining ring. Note how the cartridge looks like a headless Homer Simpson.

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

That makes me wonder if I could have replaced just the cartridge in my kitchen sink vs. the whole shebang. Kinda needed/wanted the new hardware though, so that was part of my thinking as well.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I would like to believe a jury wouldn't hold me accountable if I ever choke out the previous homeowner for putting up wallpaper borders in every room...

The good news is that her wallpaper fetish was not cheap -- the flowery grandma stuff she used to cover our bedroom walls must have been high end as I'm able to remove it and the backing paper with relative ease. Based on personal recommendations, I've found that Piranha Wallpaper remover (found at Lowe's) eats this wallpaper off the walls. I'm able to peel giant wet sheets of the backing paper off without a problem.

Contrast that to the wallpaper borders she put in all the other rooms...holy crap, I'm going to murder someone. First, it doesn't separate from the backing paper (I'm not even sure there is backing paper) and even after repeated applications of the Piranha and scoring, it's a royal pain to remove. In addition, she used the border to cover the fact that she didn't paint the entire wall -- so there's a good 8" gap at the ceiling of primer. Of course this means I have to somehow try to match the paint or paint the entire room over. Maybe I'll just put up a wallpaper border...

I'm at the point where I'm seriously considering the rental of a SCBA air tank and some type of industrial sander to just grind it all away.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Ugh, wallpaper borders? I think I'd rather have basement mold to remediate. ;)

As for the primer, maybe you can find some 10" crown molding and make it all look premium and stuff. Perhaps add a few marble columns?
Last edited by Freezer-TPF- on Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I will bet large sums of money that you will not be able to match the paint (unless it was painted relatively recently). There are lots of ways to fudge, and to try and approximate what's on your wall (pretty cool tech, some of them), but ultimately, simply due to that paint being on there longer than whatever you are planning to paint the border with, it's going to look different. At least enough for YOU to notice it every time you walk in the room, even if no one else does. Sorry, my suggestion is to just repaint the whole room. :cry:

Edited to add: and I feel your pain. We have been in our house since mid January, and I still have not gotten the balls to tackle the three rooms with wallpaper yet. Even sanding, priming, sanding and priming again, then paiting one of the kids' rooms that had dark and light pink alternating stripes (with VERY hard edges of the stripes that were raised off the surface :evil: ) was preferable to tackling even one of the wallpapered rooms.
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

They've been mocking me since we moved here, but I can't put their removal off any longer. In this case my daughter is tired of the "flowery girly" look her room has and would instead like it to be redone in a Minecraft theme. If I hit the lottery, the first thing I would do is hire someone to literally tear the walls down to the studs and just re-sheetrock everything. It would probably be quicker and easier.
Sorry, my suggestion is to just repaint the whole room.
Yeah, I have a feeling we're going to need to do that. And of course the walls are a shade of yellow, so I'll need to prime them and THEN paint them. And this is why you don't paint the walls anything but got-damn white. :grund:
stessier

Post by stessier »

Smoove_B wrote:Yeah, I have a feeling we're going to need to do that. And of course the walls are a shade of yellow, so I'll need to prime them and THEN paint them. And this is why you don't paint the walls anything but got-damn white. :grund:
Tint the primer the color you are painting the walls. Then it is one coat of primer, one of paint. Quick and easy!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Uh...it doesn't work that way. Primer isn't going to stand up to wash and wear like I'd need a semi-gloss paint to do in the room of a 7 year old. :wink:
ibdoomed

Post by ibdoomed »

Smoove_B wrote:Uh...it doesn't work that way. Primer isn't going to stand up to wash and wear like I'd need a semi-gloss paint to do in the room of a 7 year old. :wink:
Why is painting a childs room different than any other room?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If it was just a regular room, I'd it with a flat latex paint. If it was a kitchen or bathroom - gloss or semi gloss. For a kids room? Semi-gloss so you can hit the walls with a soap and sponge if there are any untoward issues where paint/marker/makeup/arterial blood ends up coating walls.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Smoove_B wrote:Uh...it doesn't work that way. Primer isn't going to stand up to wash and wear like I'd need a semi-gloss paint to do in the room of a 7 year old. :wink:
I think you misunderstand. You are putting on two coats of paint - one tinted primer, one your final paint. I find it works better than trying to get than using untinted primer.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Smoove_B wrote:If it was just a regular room, I'd it with a flat latex paint. If it was a kitchen or bathroom - gloss or semi gloss. For a kids room? Semi-gloss so you can hit the walls with a soap and sponge if there are any untoward issues where paint/marker/makeup/arterial blood ends up coating walls.
Have you looked at Eggshell? Good wash resistance without the high sheen. I use it in all our rooms.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I have my whole back area to cut down. I've let it grow up for 5 years. I cant even see whats left of my picnic table. A tree fell on it. I cant get to my back storage building easy. My sidewalk is blocked. It all must go.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

stessier wrote:I think you misunderstand. You are putting on two coats of paint - one tinted primer, one your final paint. I find it works better than trying to get than using untinted primer.
Ahh...I thought you were just saying to slap some tinted primer up and call it a day.
stessier wrote:Have you looked at Eggshell? Good wash resistance without the high sheen. I use it in all our rooms.
I would power-spray the entire house interior with Eggshell if I could get away with it. I'm a big fan. Maybe I'll "accidentally" pick that finish instead of whatever nonsense I've been approved for. :)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Screw it and go with whiteboard/chalkboard paint. Let the rugrat change the decor every damn day if so desired.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Shinjin

Post by Shinjin »

Smoove_B wrote:I would like to believe a jury wouldn't hold me accountable if I ever choke out the previous homeowner for putting up wallpaper borders in every room...
I feel your pain. In our last home, every room had a single wall that was full wallpaper. And not a lick of primer or paint was applied to the drywall before putting up the wallpaper. Some rooms wound up so bad that we had to bring someone in to plaster the entire wall.

In our current house, we brought someone in to re-paint a small bathroom. The walls have an odd texture that we could never quite place. The painter identified it as hastily removed wallpaper that was painted over. The room is small enough and infrequently used enough that we decided that we just don't care.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Our living room is the main room of the house. It is the size of 2 normal rooms and has 11 foot ceilings. This house was my N laws before me. Back around 1989 we painted it. I did a lot of the inside work. They picked the color and the first roller I put up I stopped and went "wth..oh shit"...it is a aqua crest orignal green. UGH. Ive hated since then. But Ive owned this house for 5 years or more and not changed it. A bit lazy and a bit disabled these days to care all that much. No one comes over cept one cousin so I think Im good in that area :) But I still hate it. Wife wants eggshell if we ever do change it.

These are the same people who picked a beautiful deep red for the den/library which I have loved since day one and will never change. Strange.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"

Post by Default »

Painting is easy and takes less skill than patience. I never understood the hate for it that some people have. :?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I love painting - and I have to say, I'm pretty damn good at it. What I don't like is needing to clean up the mess someone else made so I can paint the wall. Today's discovery? She nail-gunned the crown moulding over the wallpaper in our bedroom. So unless you roll a 16+ on your luck die, it tears at the top, leaving a nearly impossible scraggly strip of wallpaper pinched under it. So now I have to go around with a knife and hope I can get it out. Going to do what I can and then hit whatever mess is left with my favorite substance on earth - painter's caulk.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I feel your pain -- below is exhibit A for me. We moved into this house a year ago now and that was to be the guest room -- now we just refer to it as the Rutgers room. I tried to get that border off several times now and then moved on to work on other rooms. They also put Rutgers decals on all the sockets (hard to see in this photo) and the light switch. The plates will all probably have to be replaced. And of course the two tone paint job. Thanks a effing lot. The girl's bedroom -- now the guest room -- was hot pink and green. Until we repainted it - it was the LMFAO room. That only took three coats to fix. :)

My office has a huge generic sports wall paper border -- it is about a 15 inches or so tall band around the room with matching decals. It has resisted all removal efforts so I've put off fixing that for the foreseeable future. I don't mind painting so much myself but the prep work is the worst part. The average for any particular room is 20 - 25 nails, screws or random holes. There are hooks in the ceilings of nearly every room. It is funny how you don't notice these things until you have to paint. And then the fury returns... :evil:

photo (4) by malchior-oo, on Flickr
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Speaking of strap wrenches, if you have your serpentine belt replaced in your vehicle, just keep the old belt in trunk. In a jam you can use it as a strap wrench by twisting it once it's around what you need to remove(such as your oil filter), and it serves as a back up if somehow your new "made in China" serpentine belt breaks.
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Current project: replace loud, underpowered bathroom vents in 3 bathrooms.

Pre-project thoughts: Contractor grade (i.e. crappy) bathroom vents installed in all 4 bathrooms, 3 of which have tubs and/or showers. Two of those vents are EXTREMELY loud, so I wanted over time, to replace them all with newer, more energy efficient, but most importantly QUIET, vents. After a little research, I saw that they have some auto models, that come on when the built in hygrometer reaches a certain humidity level (great idea!). That would also help with the problem of the kids (and sometimes wife) forgetting to turn on the vent when taking a shower or bath.

So during the Black Friday sales, I jumped on a very good sale on a model I had in my Amazon cart - not humidity sensing (those are more than double the cost of a "normal" quiet unit), but energy efficient and quiet. Just bought one to see if this was a project I could actually do, before buying 3 at once.

So I remove the existing cover in the bathroom (which is TINY compared to the size of the new unit) and immediately see that I am going to be cutting the ceiling to make a bigger hole. Not a huge deal, but would rather not. I also note that many people online who did this upgrade, mentioned that they also had to cut a bigger hole, so I guess the new units are larger, maybe due to larger fans, which allows them to be both more quiet and more energy efficient.

Anyhoo, I see that the old unit is not hard wired into the electrical, but has an actual plug into a socket! This is the second upgrade/replace job in a month where I have come across this! Over Christmas, I replaced a sink disposal, and ran into the same thing...old unit just had a plug (like a lamp), so no electrical work involved, but the new MUCH better, much higher model I bought to replace it, did not. Maybe the unit itself is much nicer, but in terms of installation ease, that's a HUGE downgrade in my book.

I guess my whole point here is to ask if any of you have come across this phenomenon, i.e. appliances or hardware that were not hard wired, but plug in. I wonder if it was some kind of trend that was popular when my house was built, because almost everything you see in this area of products seems to be bare wire only.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I have no experience with what you're asking, but am very interested in the results as I hope to do the same thing some day. Is there any reason you can't just install a plug on the end of the bare wires? It would seem like this should be possible.