2024 Fundraising - $0 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Political Randomness

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: Political Randomness

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:21 am Even Fox News and Newsmax are trashing Noem now.

Somewhere up in heaven, Cricket is lighting a cigar, leaning back in his easy chair and laughing.
What is this Farms and Ranches constituency that loves killing dogs? I grew up on a farm and had to kill a lot of animals (rabid raccoons, injured deer, opossums, rodents, etc) and hated it every time. I would never kill a dog unless it was a direct threat. And it would be unthinkable to revel in it.

We had a rescued stray that was a great dog. Loyal as fuck and my best friend the 4 or 5 months we had him.
One day it nipped at my sister when she accidentally stepped on his leg. That was enough for my parents to take him to an animal shelter. Broke my heart. But the point is, no one was itching to take it out back and shoot it. That's some false farm shit. And having a gravel pit killing ground for annoying animals (she killed a goat there too, according to the book) is psychopath territory.

She's a hobbiest rancher at best. Her income is around $3M and I highly doubt she's touched a real working ranch lifestyle since she was a kid. She makes $250K/year as a landlord alone. Killing animals because they aren't good on a pheasant hunt is a hobby, not a necessity.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I grew up on a horse farm and the only time we ever shot at anything was when a pack of wild dogs were harassing a colt. My father shot over their heads to scare them off.

...of course he missed and hit our truck, but that's a genetic thing with my bloodline. We have the sharpshooting abilities of Helen Keller.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

There are absolutely farmers who think of animals as assets of variable value to be used and discarded as is convenient. I've met some.

Most farmers think those people are human garbage, just like the rest of us.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

hepcat wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 11:57 am I grew up on a horse farm and the only time we ever shot at anything was when a pack of wild dogs were harassing a colt. My father shot over their heads to scare them off.

...of course he missed and hit our truck, but that's a genetic thing with my bloodline. We have the sharpshooting abilities of Helen Keller.
Did the truck survive or did he have to shoot it agaun to put it out of its misery?
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He actually shot the hood, but missed the engine. Although I believe it’s difficult to shoot through an engine block. I remember he fired, realized he’d shot the truck, lowered his head and muttered “goddamnit”. He then quietly put the gun away and I don’t think I ever saw him take it out again.
He won. Period.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

hepcat wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 10:04 pm He actually shot the hood, but missed the engine. Although I believe it’s difficult to shoot through an engine block. I remember he fired, realized he’d shot the truck, lowered his head and muttered “goddamnit”. He then quietly put the gun away and I don’t think I ever saw him take it out again.
Yep. It's very difficult to shoot through it. Thats why we were taught to use it as cover if needed.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Punisher wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 10:14 pm
hepcat wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 10:04 pm He actually shot the hood, but missed the engine. Although I believe it’s difficult to shoot through an engine block. I remember he fired, realized he’d shot the truck, lowered his head and muttered “goddamnit”. He then quietly put the gun away and I don’t think I ever saw him take it out again.
Yep. It's very difficult to shoot through it. Thats why we were taught to use it as cover if needed.
Yep, behind the engine block with your legs behind the wheel. It's one of the few spots on a car that a bullet won't go straight through, and the wheel is because an experienced shooter seeing someone behind a car will just shoot them in the feet, then kill them when they go down. Another is the door hinge, which is why you see cops opening their door and aiming through the 'V' between it and the windshield. It's not ideal, but at that angle it's your best bet.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Literally LOL’d at that imagery. :D
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Assassination attempt on Slovakia's Prime Minister
The assassination attempt of Slovakia's Prime Minister Robert Fico was politically motivated, the country's interior minister said, adding the information is based on “initial interviews with the suspect.”
<...>
“The perpetrator shot five times. The prime minister is in a critical condition, still on the operating table. We will do everything we can to investigate this,” [interior minister] said at a news conference.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

This is kinda nifty: What state best represents America?

This WaPo statistician evaluated states by their racial makeup, religious affiliations, income, education, workforce, and some other variables, weighted for importance, and compared them to the same values for the US as a whole. He also looks at which states are most similar to each other, and took it all down to counties. The resulting tables and graphs are worth visiting the link, if you're wonky.

The most average states are:
Spoiler:

So there you have it. Illinois is the most American, or at least the most normal, state in the United States.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Since Florida is #2, I guess that means that every American is one step removed from becoming a Florida Man. :coffee:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Good Lord, this Harrison Butker person sounds like he just stepped out of a time machine from the 1800s.

The NFL is distancing itself from controversial comments by Kansas City Chiefs kicker Harrison Butker during a recent commencement address. In addition to calling Pride Month a “deadly sin” and bemoaning diversity and equity initiatives, Butker set off waves of criticism when he suggested that women find more fulfillment through getting married and having children than by pursuing careers – directly after quoting a song by Taylor Swift.
I mean, he's a young, stupid athlete so we shouldn't put much stock in what he says. But unfortunately, some kids out there might.

I have to wonder if his wife is as archaic in her beliefs. If not, this line might have resulted in some couch sleeping for young Mr. Butker.
Butker also praised his wife Isabelle, saying she “would be the first to say her life truly started when she began living her vocation as a wife and as a mother.”
This quote confuses me
• Butker also waded into the DEI debate, saying, “The world around us says that we should keep our beliefs to ourselves whenever they go against the tyranny of diversity, equity and inclusion.”
Tyranny would be NOT allowing any of those. :?
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

He was giving a commencement speech at a private Catholic college. They knew what they were getting.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I don't think that's entirely true. Some of it, yes (the homophobic parts). But he was also essentially telling the women who were there to get their diplomas that their true career was barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen. Considering his mother is a physicist, that seems...odd.

Edit: From that same school's website, I found the following:

Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion

This program aims to help faculty/staff develop the necessary knowledge, skills, and resources to make our campus more welcoming and inclusive to LGBTQ+ individuals and communities.

Become a Safe Space Ally

What is Safe Space?

“We work to be a community characterized by the highest standards of empathy and opposition to all forms of hatred. We welcome LGBTQ+ persons with sincerity of heart and generosity.”

Benedictine University offers a gender neutral, single stall bathroom on the second floor of Goodwin Hall.
Last edited by hepcat on Thu May 16, 2024 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 2:53 pm I don't think that's entirely true. Some of it, yes (the homophobic parts). But he was also essentially telling the women who were there to get their diplomas that their true career was barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen. Considering his mother is a physicist, that seems...odd.
Dude kicks a football for a living. Who really cares what he says about anything other than kicking a football?
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Butthole wrote:• Butker also waded into the DEI debate, saying, “The world around us says that we should keep our beliefs to ourselves whenever they go against the tyranny of diversity, equity and inclusion.”
Yeah, this is dialogue right out of the right-wing playbook. They consider not being able to spew their bigotry as the real oppression in this country. It's such a twisted mindset. They just can't grasp the concept that other people have feelings. Instead of diversity, equity, and inclusion being tools to make *others* feel better, they think those tools are being used to oppress them. It's an incredibly narcissistic viewpoint and completely in line with the MAGA mindset.

I think it's also indicative of the Trump philosophy that "anyone who doesn't agree with me is my enemy."

I knew this speech backfired bigly when even my wife was talking about it. She generally stays at a healthy arms length away from politics and news, and yet even she texted me angrily about his comments.

Pay attention, women. If Trump wins, this philosophy is going to be the law of the land. Everything will be geared towards making women subservient breed-cows for the patriarchy.
Last edited by YellowKing on Thu May 16, 2024 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 2:56 pm
hepcat wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 2:53 pm I don't think that's entirely true. Some of it, yes (the homophobic parts). But he was also essentially telling the women who were there to get their diplomas that their true career was barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen. Considering his mother is a physicist, that seems...odd.
Dude kicks a football for a living. Who really cares what he says about anything other than kicking a football?
I did write
I mean, he's a young, stupid athlete so we shouldn't put much stock in what he says. But unfortunately, some kids out there might.
I think my main surprise is that he shows up to a graduation ceremony and basically tells the women in the audience to forget about all that book learnin' and get on their backs.
He won. Period.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 2:57 pm
I think my main surprise is that he shows up to a graduation ceremony and basically tells the women in the audience to forget about all that book learnin' and get on their backs.
I guess he knew his audience.
“Yeah, it was f–king horrible,” she said in her video. “Some of us did boo, me and my roommate definitely did. There was a standing ovation from everyone in the room except from me, my roommate and 10 to 15 other women.”
https://www.usmagazine.com/entertainmen ... g-ovation/

Now the question is, does this increase or decrease alumn donations?

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

In the days since his speech, a number of celebrities have spoken out about it, including Flavor Flav, who wrote via X, “Sounds like some players ‘need to stay in their lanes’ and shouldn’t be giving commencement speeches.”
When Flavor Flav is telling you you've made a bad life choice, you KNOW things are messed up. :lol:
He won. Period.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Flavor Flav is also a huge Swiftie, so you don't fuck around quoting his queen in the same breath you rail against women.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 2:56 pm
Apparently he was traumatized as a boy when his sister Lucy yoinked away the football he was trying to kick.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol:
He won. Period.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 2:56 pm Dude kicks a football for a living. Who really cares what he says about anything other than kicking a football?
Then why give him a platform to speak directly to young female newly minted graduates? It seems barbaric.

*We* can all shrug and ignore, but it's a lot harder for those kids and their families to tackle the controversy his comments highlight.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Jaymann wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 3:47 pm
Apparently he was traumatized as a boy when his sister Lucy yoinked away the football he was trying to kick.
:lol:
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 9:35 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 2:56 pm Dude kicks a football for a living. Who really cares what he says about anything other than kicking a football?
Then why give him a platform to speak directly to young female newly minted graduates? It seems barbaric.
That's part of my point. Why was he given that platform? He checked all the crazy fundamentalist boxes for Benedictine?

*We* can all shrug and ignore, but it's a lot harder for those kids and their families to tackle the controversy his comments highlight.
Most of them cheered. That's what $50K/year gets you now days.

MYT
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

It is important for Catholic church to encourage women to get married and have children so they'll have more future members of their church and have more political power. Same with other Christian churches. There is a real "danger" of the country being taken over by a religion that teach believers to have as many children as they can.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

As opposed to the majority of Muslim countries where the religion already controls the governments. The dangerous outcome you predict has already happened for them. Being gay or being a woman is a constant struggle for life and liberty in those countries. :(
He won. Period.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 10:42 am It is important for Catholic church to encourage women to get married and have children so they'll have more future members of their church and have more political power. Same with other Christian churches. There is a real "danger" of the country being taken over by a religion that teach believers to have as many children as they can.
Or our secular gods.

Jeff Bezos, Elon Musk say human population not nearly big enough: "If we had a trillion humans, we would have at any given time a thousand Mozarts".

MYT
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 10:15 am

That's part of my point. Why was he given that platform? He checked all the crazy fundamentalist boxes for Benedictine?
Presumably. My question is why bother to get educated if there is no plan to use it? Status? My pregnant wife has a degree? Why spend $50k a year?
Most of them cheered. That's what $50K/year gets you now days.
Sure. Some didn't. Some cheered due to peer pressure. Those people are likely terrified. At that point, it takes on the characteristics of a cult, with people trapped against their will, even if just by circumstances.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 11:12 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 10:15 am

Presumably. My question is why bother to get educated if there is no plan to use it? Status? My pregnant wife has a degree? Why spend $50k a year?
Because that's where women meet men whose families can pay $50K/year.

Plus, the hobby of running the bookstore or jewelry shop in Kennebunkport requires some rudimentary education.

MYT
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 11:14 am Because that's where women meet men whose families can pay $50K/year.
:handgestures-thumbupleft:
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 10:42 am It is important for Catholic church to encourage women to get married and have children so they'll have more future members of their church and have more political power. Same with other Christian churches. There is a real "danger" of the country being taken over by a religion that teach believers to have as many children as they can.
Joseph Smith would like a word.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 11:10 am Jeff Bezos, Elon Musk say human population not nearly big enough: "If we had a trillion humans, we would have at any given time a thousand Mozarts".
...starving to death with the rest of us.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Stephen Jay Gould wrote:I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain, than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweat shops.
It's almost as if people are the problem.