Political Randomness

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: Political Randomness

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:47 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:31 pm Feels like this headline pretty much sums up America. A new study says bald eagles are being threatened by spent lead ammunition left in the carcasses they feed on.
When I rehabbed wildlife, we'd get cases like that in most raptors. Also lots of lead poisoning in waterfowl (mostly Trumpeter swans) that bottom feed lakes and ponds with spent shot on the bottom. When I started it was typically a death sentence, but by the time I stopped a treatment had been developed that was very successful.
And it's irresponsible to hunt waterfoul with lead these days. Plenty of lead-free options to keep you from spraying poison into lakes. It's more expensive but it's a pittance if you are actually hunting (using little ammo) and not just shooting shit (indiscriminately using ammo).
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

What an exchange.

malchior

Post by malchior »

She is a very effective advocate for this White House. And the question is a bit unfair but within norms. Most of those things aren't anything a President can necessarily control. However, the media has used this framework to measure President performance fair or not. Whatever. It's been a problem for generations now. In that frame, she responded with a list of positive things mostly out of Biden's control. Seems like fair game to me.

He does hit on something though. There have been things in Biden's control that have gone pretty poorly - pandemic strategy response beyond the vaccine rollout, the botched Afghanistan evac, etc. I sort of wish this reporter had focused on the things *directly* in Biden's control so that she didn't have this rhetorical out. I would have liked to see the meat of this question get answered. Why aren't they taking stock of the mess they are in?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

What a guy.

Good for Cooley, though I imagine there was some self-interest in terms of how people at Cooley would've reacted if they'd acceded to a request like this.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Meh, capitalism.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Demands or asks? I don't think it's an unreasonable ask. I also don't think it's an unreasonable refusal and I don't think it's unreasonable to part ways.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LordMortis wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:40 am Demands or asks? I don't think it's an unreasonable ask. I also don't think it's an unreasonable refusal and I don't think it's unreasonable to part ways.
It seems like an unreasonable demand (or ask) to have them fire the associate. It wouldn't be unreasonable to ask them to keep the attorney off the Tesla account. But fire them? Dick swing from a bully.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:33 am
LordMortis wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:40 am Demands or asks? I don't think it's an unreasonable ask. I also don't think it's an unreasonable refusal and I don't think it's unreasonable to part ways.
It seems like an unreasonable demand (or ask) to have them fire the associate. It wouldn't be unreasonable to ask them to keep the attorney off the Tesla account. But fire them? Dick swing from a bully.
Yeah, exactly. It's perfectly reasonable to ask that he not work on Tesla accounts (among other things, there are conflict issues there). But asking them to fire him entirely is pure retribution.
Black Lives Matter.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

This
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:38 pm
This
Yep.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Musk may need to grow himself a little Hitlerstache or start sticking his hand inside his shirt ala Napoleon.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Musk's asshattery is well documented, but he is far from the only dick swinger on the stage. Is it just possible the attorney in question had a hard on for Musk when he was with the SEC. Relationships like this are generally more nuanced than the headlines reveal. An investigation does not automatically mean guilt. Although I looked it up and found:
Settlement Requires Musk to Step Down as Tesla’s Chairman; Tesla to Appoint Additional Independent Directors; Tesla and Musk Agree to Pay $40 Million in Penalties
The dickswinger spends more than that on a single rocket launch.

I can see why he would not want to be associated with the guy who nailed him. Probably better would have been to just quietly change law firms. And if the bigwigs at the law firm asked him why behind closed doors he could tell them.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:43 pm Musk's asshattery is well documented, but he is far from the only dick swinger on the stage. Is it just possible the attorney in question had a hard on for Musk when he was with the SEC. Relationships like this are generally more nuanced than the headlines reveal. An investigation does not automatically mean guilt. Although I looked it up and found:
Settlement Requires Musk to Step Down as Tesla’s Chairman; Tesla to Appoint Additional Independent Directors; Tesla and Musk Agree to Pay $40 Million in Penalties

I can see why he would not want to be associated with the guy who nailed him. Probably better would have been to just quietly change law firms. And if the bigwigs at the law firm asked him why behind closed doors he could tell them.
A partner at law firm Cooley LLP got an unexpected call late last year from a lawyer for one of the firm’s most famous clients, Elon Musk’s Tesla Inc., TSLA 1.75% with an ultimatum.

The world’s richest man wanted Cooley, which was representing Tesla in numerous lawsuits, to fire one of its attorneys or it would lose the electric-vehicle company’s business, people familiar with the matter said.
Yeah, sounds like he was really trying to quietly switch firms without much drama.

The associate / former SEC person did the high crime of interviewing Musk during the investigation.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Probably better would have been...
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

Not defending Musk but this doesn't seem out of the ordinary for billionaire white collar thuggery.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Yeah, what good is being rich and powerful if you can't shout "Off with their heads!" now and then.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:43 pm Musk's asshattery is well documented, but he is far from the only dick swinger on the stage. Is it just possible the attorney in question had a hard on for Musk when he was with the SEC. Relationships like this are generally more nuanced than the headlines reveal. An investigation does not automatically mean guilt. Although I looked it up and found:

You're creating a narrative out of thin air.

The guy was doing his job at the SEC. Musk was in clear violation of SEC rules and got off lightly IMO. Why does that translate to some vendetta from an SEC employee?

There is no evidence he had a "hard on" for musk. And he didn't "nail him." Musk posted publicly and nailed himself. There was no question of stock manipulation, just how much and what would the penalty be. A single SEC employee doesn't make that decision.

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If a cop arrests me for anything, I reserve the right to call his precinct and demand he get fired.
Covfefe!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:11 am

You're creating a narrative out of thin air.

The guy was doing his job at the SEC. Musk was in clear violation of SEC rules and got off lightly IMO. Why does that translate to some vendetta from an SEC employee?

There is no evidence he had a "hard on" for musk. And he didn't "nail him." Musk posted publicly and nailed himself. There was no question of stock manipulation, just how much and what would the penalty be. A single SEC employee doesn't make that decision.
I never said this is what happened. I just suggested there may be more to the story.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:59 am If a cop arrests me for anything, I reserve the right to call his precinct and demand he get fired.
or she.

sorry
Covfefe!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:59 am If a cop arrests me for anything, I reserve the right to call his precinct and demand he get fired.
From your cell?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:26 pm
From your cell?
I was being facetious, but I guess I COULD use my one phone call to call the same place where I'm currently being held and demand that they fire the person who arrested me for "being sexy without a license".
Covfefe!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Enforcement of the restraining order is their job, hepcat. :)
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

So Haiti is just half an island where a whole bunch of people live without a government or any organization. Everybody has to find themselves a gang to be affiliated with.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I just got what I assume is a spam text asking for my opinion on Biden-Harris Approval "We want to hear your thoughts on the DISASTROUS Biden-Harris Administration."

Sounds pretty neutral and objective.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:31 pm I just got what I assume is a spam text asking for my opinion on Biden-Harris Approval "We want to hear your thoughts on the DISASTROUS Biden-Harris Administration."

That''s better than the weird desperate ones I get...addressed to my father (good analytics there!)
We're GIVING UP, <dad's name>. We've texted you 7 TIMES asking you to take the GOP Poll. Did Trump lose your support? Last chance!

<url that might as well be a phishing scheme>
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I get sick of having to block that crap on my phone. I wonder how many numbers I have blocked and how much good it does. I used to go the extra mile and report stuff to the donotcall list but the extra effort got to be hassle. We have about a year until politics season ramps up again. I completely don't understand why political groups get shielded from the spam laws. And if any politician ever successful takes down spammers, especially phone spammers, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for their more odious activities.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:31 pm I just got what I assume is a spam text asking for my opinion on Biden-Harris Approval "We want to hear your thoughts on the DISASTROUS Biden-Harris Administration."

Is there an option for:

Doing a bang up job and should be re-elected, plus Harris for eight years after that.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Kraken wrote:Yeah, what good is being rich and powerful if you can't shout "Off with their heads!" now and then.
Oh, he's free to shout it :)
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I just watched something with a featured bit on Leona Helmsy (?) who seemed to be depicted as the Queen of Hearts quite a bit.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:46 pm I get sick of having to block that crap on my phone. I wonder how many numbers I have blocked and how much good it does. I used to go the extra mile and report stuff to the donotcall list but the extra effort got to be hassle. We have about a year until politics season ramps up again. I completely don't understand why political groups get shielded from the spam laws. And if any politician ever successful takes down spammers, especially phone spammers, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for their more odious activities.
DNC registry doesn't work for texts, if you were asking about that. And of course it doesn't work for illegal spammers obvioulsy, or anyone who doesn't care about the laws, basically. Think of it like locking your door at home - keeps the honest people out, but anyone with a tiny bit of motivation or willingness to break a law...
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:15 pm
LordMortis wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:46 pm I get sick of having to block that crap on my phone. I wonder how many numbers I have blocked and how much good it does. I used to go the extra mile and report stuff to the donotcall list but the extra effort got to be hassle. We have about a year until politics season ramps up again. I completely don't understand why political groups get shielded from the spam laws. And if any politician ever successful takes down spammers, especially phone spammers, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for their more odious activities.
DNC registry doesn't work for texts, if you were asking about that. And of course it doesn't work for illegal spammers obvioulsy, or anyone who doesn't care about the laws, basically. Think of it like locking your door at home - keeps the honest people out, but anyone with a tiny bit of motivation or willingness to break a law...
Oh I know, but that's what I'm saying. The politician who locks that shit down and then starts getting people to suffer the consequences of spamming me gets me one step closer to becoming their thrall.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:17 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:15 pm
Oh I know, but that's what I'm saying. The politician who locks that shit down and then starts getting people to suffer the consequences of spamming me gets me one step closer to becoming their thrall.
I'm totally down with that as well.

Especially now that I am getting daily (sometimes 2x daily) spam texts from "ATT" thanking me for paying my bill, and if I click HERE, I get a free prize!" I don't get political ones...ever...for whatever reason, thankfully.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

The Federal Bureau of Investigation said in a statement Wednesday evening that it is doing a "court-authorized" search of the Texas home of Rep. Henry Cuellar, a moderate Democrat.

The FBI also searched a second building housing his campaign office, CNN has learned.
The FBI doesn't just go fishing on a sitting Congressman. This is probably something.

MYT
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:19 pm Especially now that I am getting daily (sometimes 2x daily) spam texts from "ATT" thanking me for paying my bill, and if I click HERE, I get a free prize!" I don't get political ones...ever...for whatever reason, thankfully.
Ugh, I get a couple of those every day as well.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Well if you guys don't want the prizes, I'll just keep them.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:39 pm Well if you guys don't want the prizes, I'll just keep them.
Give me your phone number and I will gladly try to get you on their list! Actually, do you have the cel number of your bosses' boss? That would probably get this resolved . :D
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Some Ashley Hinson rebuttal fun

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I can arrange for you to keep them, please send my your electronic transfer information so I can keep your account up to date. We will make a small withdraw that will be replaced with deposit 10 times the withdraw amount presently to make sure the account is valid and transfers work properly.