Cyberpunk 2077 from the makers of The Witcher

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: Cyberpunk 2077 from the makers of The Witcher

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:56 pm After I finished the main game last year I had some extra points so I spent them on that wire thing that comes out of your arms. I would definitely recommend that route for upgrades. :)
Monowire, a wire one molecule wide. It's a cyberpunk classic. I remember thinking how cool it was when I read about it in a GURPS supplement back in 1990 (and they also had a version that mounted it around the edge of a blade.) I believe it actually originated in Harlan Ellison's original Johnny Mnemonic short story (and shown the vaguely similar film.)

(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Interesting. I'm not really familiar with the genre overall (as odd as that seems), so I had no idea it was a *thing*. It's ridiculous in Cyberpunk 2077, in terms of combat.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Larry Niven had him beat by a good decade. Monofilament features in his Ringworld novels, and possibly in earlier Known Space stories, both as a type of strong cable and as a weapon (e.g. the variable sword, which was a length of monofilament stiffened by a stasis field).
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:04 pm Larry Niven had him beat by a good decade. Monofilament features in his Ringworld novels, and possibly in earlier Known Space stories, both as a type of strong cable and as a weapon (e.g. the variable sword, which was a length of monofilament stiffened by a stasis field).
Ah, I'd forgotten about that. I haven't read Ringworld in a long, long time, but now that you mention it, I have a vague memory of one of the cables coming loose and causing some havoc. I've also only read the first book of the series.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Without really spoiling anything after the big start to the dlc you do get access to the entire game..so there's really no big reason to wait to jump in when it pops up. You can go back to killing freaks and side missions if you like.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Good thing, because I have to deliver all these stolen cars! Everywhere I go there's a car that someone wants.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Curious does anyone actually enjoy checklist items in games? Like find 100 pictures scattered around the land. Every open world game has it, but is that actually fun for anyone? I don't think I've ever finished something like that in any game.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

disarm

Post by disarm »

Octavious wrote:Curious does anyone actually enjoy checklist items in games? Like find 100 pictures scattered around the land. Every open world game has it, but is that actually fun for anyone? I don't think I've ever finished something like that in any game.
Totally depends on the game. If I can find them by exploring an area in an enjoyable way, I'm OCD enough that I'll try to check all the boxes. If the hidden items are tucked in obscure corners that one would never see without very specific effort, and offer zero benefit other than an achievement/trophy (like the treasures in Uncharted), I don't waste my time. There has to be something compelling beyond just completing the checklist (even fun traversal mechanics can count) or I won't waste my time.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Oh ya Uncharted was ridiculous. You have a very structured linear game where they want you to pause following someone to dig around in random corners. I collected like 3 items and stopped looking.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Octavious wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:22 pm Without really spoiling anything after the big start to the dlc you do get access to the entire game..so there's really no big reason to wait to jump in when it pops up. You can go back to killing freaks and side missions if you like.
Does it make narrative sense? Is it, "When you get a chance, go see _________", or is it ignoring what should be an immediate threat? I generally try to avoid the Fallout 4 "Shaun" problem (my child's been kidnapped - hey, I wonder what's in this shed?)
Octavious wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:31 pm Curious does anyone actually enjoy checklist items in games? Like find 100 pictures scattered around the land. Every open world game has it, but is that actually fun for anyone? I don't think I've ever finished something like that in any game.
Sometimes, if they're fun. (After I typed this, I moved my reply to Video Games Randomness, as it's an interesting topic, and any answer is likely going to stray quite a bit.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:53 pm
Octavious wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:22 pm Without really spoiling anything after the big start to the dlc you do get access to the entire game..so there's really no big reason to wait to jump in when it pops up. You can go back to killing freaks and side missions if you like.
Does it make narrative sense? Is it, "When you get a chance, go see _________", or is it ignoring what should be an immediate threat? I generally try to avoid the Fallout 4 "Shaun" problem (my child's been kidnapped - hey, I wonder what's in this shed?)
Octavious wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:31 pm Curious does anyone actually enjoy checklist items in games? Like find 100 pictures scattered around the land. Every open world game has it, but is that actually fun for anyone? I don't think I've ever finished something like that in any game.
Sometimes, if they're fun. (After I typed this, I moved my reply to Video Games Randomness, as it's an interesting topic, and any answer is likely going to stray quite a bit.
No I would say it makes zero sense for you to go off and do other things. So if that bothers you I would wait. :lol:

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It bothers me. Thanks.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

It's on par with not searching for your missing kid for sure. :lol: I'm pretty simple and can ignore it, but I can totally see why it would annoy people.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The one game that comes to mind where hunting down collectibles was actively enjoyable for me would be The Division. They were things that told bits of narrative that filled out the backstory of the game world by allowing you to discover stories about what had happened to people outside the scope of the game's missions, and I was obsessed with collecting all of them to see how these little background stories and events had played out. It also helped that the game designers absolutely wanted you to find them all, so when you cleared the full set of missions in each neighbourhood, they gave you waypoints on the map to find any remaining items that you had initially missed, so collecting them all wasn't difficult if you wanted to take the time to do it.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:31 pm
The one game that comes to mind where hunting down collectibles was actively enjoyable for me would be The Division. They were things that told bits of narrative that filled out the backstory of the game world by allowing you to discover stories about what had happened to people outside the scope of the game's missions, and I was obsessed with collecting all of them to see how these little background stories and events had played out. It also helped that the game designers absolutely wanted you to find them all, so when you cleared the full set of missions in each neighbourhood, they gave you waypoints on the map to find any remaining items that you had initially missed, so collecting them all wasn't difficult if you wanted to take the time to do it.
"Boop-boop - Nearby Echo detected."
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

For Amazon Prime subscribers, Twitch Prime has a Cyberpunk 2077 freebie.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

There is also a Twitch drops campaign underway, with 4 clothing items available. Details here: https://www.cyberpunk.net/en/twitch-drops

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Another Cyberpunk 2077 patch is “coming soon” to fix 2.0 bugs
Cyberpunk 2077 patch 2.01 highlights

Here are the “most important fixes and improvements” included in the upcoming Cyberpuk 2077 2.01 update, courtesy of CD Projekt Red.

- The distorted effect caused by selecting a specific dialogue option when talking to Johnny at the end of ‘Automatic Love’ will no longer persist on the screen.
- V will no longer die in ‘The Heist’ by falling through the elevator when riding to the 42nd floor with low FPS.
- Fixed an issue where the UI could show controller inputs when playing with keyboard and mouse.
- Made it possible to properly switch to arms cyberware by cycling through weapons.
- ‘Gig: Breaking News’ will be properly triggered after approaching the quest area.
- Vehicle radio volume will be adjusted so it’s not too quiet when compared to other sounds in the game.
- Performance improvements for both PC and consoles, especially in the Dogtown area.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Did 2.0 come with a character re-spec?
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Yes.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:37 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:56 pm After I finished the main game last year I had some extra points so I spent them on that wire thing that comes out of your arms. I would definitely recommend that route for upgrades. :)
Monowire, a wire one molecule wide. It's a cyberpunk classic. I remember thinking how cool it was when I read about it in a GURPS supplement back in 1990 (and they also had a version that mounted it around the edge of a blade.) I believe it actually originated in Harlan Ellison's original Johnny Mnemonic short story (and shown the vaguely similar film.)
Johhny Mnemonic is a Gibson story.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Dogtown improvements would be nice. That area just murdered my computer when I got there. I can see why as it's densely populated with tons of details.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Alefroth wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:45 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:37 pm
Johhny Mnemonic is a Gibson story.
:doh:

I've read it. I've read the Sprawl trilogy (Neuromancer, et al.) I know this. Why did I say Ellison? Maybe because I was just reading about him and Babylon 5, I dunno.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Finished the main story for the expansion last night. Solid experience all around. I'm still finishing up some stuff before ending the main game story. I didn't take the expansion option that would change the main game ending.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

If it's a "find 20 widgets" (like Barenzia stones in Skyrim) then no. But if it's "kill these 20 cyberpsychos" and has markers on the map? Yeah, they dead. They ALL dead.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:50 pm Finished the main story for the expansion last night. Solid experience all around. I'm still finishing up some stuff before ending the main game story. I didn't take the expansion option that would change the main game ending.
I decided to see if I could get all of the achievements. In this endeavor I have learned that the NCPD scanner events are not randomly generated. They are all (extremely repetitive) custom encounters and you have to do every last one of them to get all of the achievements. I have already bought all of the cars and completely all of the gigs. Now I am sweeping the map to clean up all of these encounters. Most of them take about a minute to complete, but there are a LOT of them. The unfortunate thing is that I have already maxed my character level and street cred so I am getting limited benefit from this. I am leveling up some skills that give minor benefits but nothing can stand up to me at this point anyway. I have been doing them all melee so I don't have to worry about ammo and no, I am not at all a melee specced character. Now that I think of it, I should probably stop using the melee weapon I've been using. My Gorilla Arms will do more damage and attack faster.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I'm having a blast with the Claim Vehicles mod. I could simple run around in whatever I find beside the road, my starter car, and the few reward cars but it is way too much fun to klep a big truck and be able to summon it again later.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Finished the DLC and a second complete run through the original main quest. I also finished the Mr. Hands quests and a bunch of random gigs skipped in the original playthrough. Such a good game. I was almost sorry to complete it.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I picked up Phantom Liberty, only after installing it Cyberpunk 2077 now crashes every single time I try to boot it up. Never had any issues with the main game (picked it up well after launch after the worst kinks were worked out), so curious and frustrated. I asked for a refund via Steam rather than try to figure it out, only Steam is counting my overall playtime for Cyberpunk instead of my Phantom-Liberty specific playtime so it's saying that I've played it too much for a refund.

Annoying. Anyone had issues like this or any suggestions about how to fix it?
Black Lives Matter.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:10 am I picked up Phantom Liberty, only after installing it Cyberpunk 2077 now crashes every single time I try to boot it up. Never had any issues with the main game (picked it up well after launch after the worst kinks were worked out), so curious and frustrated. I asked for a refund via Steam rather than try to figure it out, only Steam is counting my overall playtime for Cyberpunk instead of my Phantom-Liberty specific playtime so it's saying that I've played it too much for a refund.

Have you ever, at any time, installed any mods for the base game? If so, that could explain an expansion causing crashes.

My first thought for fixing it would be to back up your saves, uninstall, empty out any residual data folders left over (delete every file), and reinstall.

Although some quick searching suggests that your problem isn't unique.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:41 am
El Guapo wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:10 am I picked up Phantom Liberty, only after installing it Cyberpunk 2077 now crashes every single time I try to boot it up. Never had any issues with the main game (picked it up well after launch after the worst kinks were worked out), so curious and frustrated. I asked for a refund via Steam rather than try to figure it out, only Steam is counting my overall playtime for Cyberpunk instead of my Phantom-Liberty specific playtime so it's saying that I've played it too much for a refund.

Have you ever, at any time, installed any mods for the base game? If so, that could explain an expansion causing crashes.

My first thought for fixing it would be to back up your saves, uninstall, empty out any residual data folders left over (delete every file), and reinstall.

Although some quick searching suggests that your problem isn't unique.
Nope. I've literally never installed a mod for any game ever.

Out of curiosity did you happen to find a solution in your quick searching?
Black Lives Matter.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Yeah, I have it on GOG Galaxy, and the launcher there has a big ol' banner warning me not to use any mods that haven't been updated for 2.0.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Max Peck wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:47 am Yeah, I have it on GOG Galaxy, and the launcher there has a big ol' banner warning me not to use any mods that haven't been updated for 2.0.
So...what do I do if I've never installed any mods, though.
Black Lives Matter.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:52 am
Max Peck wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:47 am Yeah, I have it on GOG Galaxy, and the launcher there has a big ol' banner warning me not to use any mods that haven't been updated for 2.0.
I dunno, that was the first thing that came to mind when you said it was crashing on launch.

Apparently I never got around to installing Phantom Liberty (Thanks, Starfield!), so it's going to be a hot minute before I can try launching the GOG Galaxy version to see if I'm having any similar issues myself.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:46 am Out of curiosity did you happen to find a solution in your quick searching?
I did see some people claiming a fix for the GoG version due to some DRM issue. Another site said cleaning out their shader cache fixed it on an Nvidia card (AppData\Local\NVIDIA\DXCache.) another person fixed it with a setting. Someone else fixed it with a custom launcher. (I haven't vetted any of these suggestions, so go do that voodoo that's due diligence so well.)

In other words, I have no clue.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The clean reinstall I mentioned above is a big, but basic troubleshooting step. It clears out leftover mod files, but it also clears out residual/outdated/corrupt configuration files, system files, broken settings, etc. But that's only on a true clean install, not just uninstalling and reinstalling - if there is a bad file in the install location or in one of the various directories in AppData or My Documents, or wherever, it can remain after a basic uninstall/reinstall.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:08 pm
The clean reinstall I mentioned above is a big, but basic troubleshooting step. It clears out leftover mod files, but it also clears out residual/outdated/corrupt configuration files, system files, broken settings, etc. But that's only on a true clean install, not just uninstalling and reinstalling - if there is a bad file in the install location or in one of the various directories in AppData or My Documents, or wherever, it can remain after a basic uninstall/reinstall.
At the risk of asking a stupid question, how does one do a "clean reinstall" of a game vs. a basic uninstall / reinstall?
Black Lives Matter.
naednek

Post by naednek »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:57 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:08 pm
At the risk of asking a stupid question, how does one do a "clean reinstall" of a game vs. a basic uninstall / reinstall?
bleach
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:57 pm At the risk of asking a stupid question, how does one do a "clean reinstall" of a game vs. a basic uninstall / reinstall?

Uninstall a game, and it will typically leave behind files. Sometimes a couple, sometimes a lot. They're in the install location, in My Documents or My Games, in Appdata, etc. Typically the uninstaller only removes those files that match the ones that were initially installed. So it leaves behind files that have been modified (like configuration files), anything that was added (like mods), files that were updated but left an older copy behind, files that the game backed up, saves, files that got corrupted, etc.

When you reinstall a game, it uses those same directories and usually gives the older files priority (that's why you can reinstall a game years later and your settings are still intact.)

But when a game has a bad file and a config file with a bad setting in it and you just uninstall/reinstall, you may end up keeping the bad file.

A clean reinstall is when every trace of a (game/program/etc) is removed before reinstalling. The process is typically what I described earlier:
Blackhawk wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:41 am My first thought for fixing it would be to back up your saves, uninstall, empty out any residual data folders left over (delete every file), and reinstall.
Just (to reiterate), back up your saves, first.

PCGamingWiki (linked in the quote), by the way, normally lists all of the data directories a game uses, along with any known problems or limitations, and the fixes for them if they exist. It's a 'what should I know?' after installing a game - or before buying if you have special concerns (like whether it supports superwide monitors.)