Defining the 21st Century Republican Party?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

gbasden

Re: Defining the 21st Century Republican Party?

Post by gbasden »

Holman wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:59 pm
gbasden wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:52 pm Exactly. In just a few responses here we have AOC on one hand and straight white male centrist on the other. Nobody is going to agree on a direction. Which is the Democratic party in a nutshell.
It's because the Democrats are a coalition that runs from the Center through Liberals to Progressives and even some of the Far Left.

Half of the party being unhappy with the party is inevitable.
You're certainly not wrong. I'm just laughing at the concept of Democrats being unified on anything, much less who the best presidential candidate would be.
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

If he had a bigger national profile, I would say the current Pennsylvania governor Tom Wolf. Beto feels like a non-starter despite having charisma as they’ll play the “coming for your guns” video into the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MIDWAY upon the journey of our life, I found myself within a dark forest, For the straightforward pathway had been lost. - Dante Alighieri
Holman

Post by Holman »

Maybe we need to bow to the times and go with a media celebrity who represents the American values we support.

Tom Hanks?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I suppose Johnny Depp is right out.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

Kevin Kline? George Clooney? Jeff Bridges? Robin Wright?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MIDWAY upon the journey of our life, I found myself within a dark forest, For the straightforward pathway had been lost. - Dante Alighieri
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

We need a Kennedy type.

Agree that straight (preferably older but not Lich king old) white male is The Way. And super moderate.

I think Klobuchar would be great but she’s not who we need right now.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Carpet_pissr wrote:We need a Kennedy type.
Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Well played, sir, well played.

😂
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Always glad to help.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Truly thou art a font of knowledge.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Since the times of the new Romans.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Kurth wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:05 am The Dems should run Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker.
He's the only Republican I wouldn't hesitate to support (depending on whom he was running against). The GOP no longer has any place for him and he shows no inclination of changing his stripes, so it looks like he's out of politics.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

He could run for Senate and be the Rs Joe Manchin but I guess they still have Liz, for now.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I would totally vote for him (unless he's crazy for guns, and then hard no).
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Kraken wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:08 pm
Kurth wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:05 am The Dems should run Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker.
He's the only Republican I wouldn't hesitate to support (depending on whom he was running against). The GOP no longer has any place for him and he shows no inclination of changing his stripes, so it looks like he's out of politics.
Would you support him if it were McConnell and McCarthy running Congress? This is a HUGE part of the equation nowadays...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:37 pm
Would you support him if it were McConnell and McCarthy running Congress? This is a HUGE part of the equation nowadays...
We're hypothesizing that he's running as R or D? Because there's no way he could ever get the R nod IRL. Some speculate that he's abdicating his Mass. throne because he wouldn't survive the primary here. MAGA hates him, and MAGA dominates primaries.

If he miraculously became the R nominee, it would depend on who the Dems were running against him, because we would be talking about a non-MAGA GOP. I might prefer Baker to Biden. Depends on whether Joe can recover any mojo in the second half of his term.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Per above, you had him as (R), so I was thinking that.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Kraken wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:08 pm
We're hypothesizing that he's running as R or D? Because there's no way he could ever get the R nod IRL. Some speculate that he's abdicating his Mass. throne because he wouldn't survive the primary here. MAGA hates him, and MAGA dominates primaries.

If he miraculously became the R nominee, it would depend on who the Dems were running against him, because we would be talking about a non-MAGA GOP. I might prefer Baker to Biden. Depends on whether Joe can recover any mojo in the second half of his term.
My master plan is for the Dems to run him as their candidate. Would that actually require him to change party? Is there any rule against the Dems running a Republican as their nominee? Not sure what the answer is, but either way, it would end up in a Baker vs. Trump contest in 2024 in my scenario.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
malchior

Post by malchior »

Kurth wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:25 pm
Kraken wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:08 pm

My master plan is for the Dems to run him as their candidate. Would that actually require him to change party? Is there any rule against the Dems running a Republican as their nominee? Not sure what the answer is, but either way, it would end up in a Baker vs. Trump contest in 2024 in my scenario.
It's a nice idea but it feels low (near nil) probability from both the Baker and Democratic party angles.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Kurth wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:25 pm Is there any rule against the Dems running a Republican as their nominee? Not sure what the answer is, but either way, it would end up in a Baker vs. Trump contest in 2024 in my scenario.
I think that's the foundation of a political party.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

What was that guy yelling about?
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Leopards. Faces. Etc.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That guy’s voice would make me reconsider my stance on capital punishment.
Covfefe!
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

The inmates have taken control of the asylum. This is just for starters. Read the entire thread excerpts of the platform of the TX GOP:

malchior

Post by malchior »

And they won't pay any political price for it.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Wow. I mean. Is that a declaration of ______?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That as an official party statement... I'm not even sure what to call it, except that the bar for the term 'unbelievable' has, once again, shifted.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Rapists going to rape - the party of family values:

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Just some thoughts from a person that works for a political think-tank regarding the TX GOP statements:

People need to pay attention to what the Texas GOP has put into their party platform this week. It's ugly, but it's also what I have been warning about. First there's this, requiring students be taught life begins at conception. This is a direct assault on separation of church and state, and also sets Texas up to charge women who go out of state for an abortion, as well as anyone who assists them, under the felony murder rule. Treating homosexuality as an "abnormal lifestyle CHOICE" signals that they will go after Oberfell (as I mentioned months ago). It also signals that they will try to take children from homes of LGB parents. This one will take several tweets.

This portion signals the end of any trans person in Texas being able to change ANY documentation related to their gender identity, or even respecting documents from other states. For example, a trans student who has changed their birth certificate and passport in California, would still have to be registered as the wrong gender at a Texas University. This sets up all sorts of constitutional issues, going to a hostile court. Rur-roh. The second half of it is a direct threat to any doctor therapist in Texas who affirms trans people. They're signaling an intent to yank the licenses of doctors who provide transition related care, and helping people sue them into financial oblivion.

The immediate goal, of course, is to eliminate access to anything other than conversion therapy for all trans people, not just youth.

Big picture: they want trans people in Texas to leave or stay in the closet forever.

Ok, this is just some Peter Thiel / John Birch Society Galaxy brain **** right here (about abolishing the Federal Reserve).

Then there's this, which means to remove basically all state level regulations on wearing of firearms forever. So, until someone starts blasting away with their AR-15, no one can do anything.

I call this the "Ensuring Uvalde Happens Again and Again" platform.
What to do?
I would advise LGBT to GTFO of Texas within the next year if at all possible. This is going some very dark places. One of the big lessons of the past with genocide is to take the opportunity to get out while they prefer for you to leave, rather than try to wait it out.

The biggest danger is when they decide they would rather that you not be allowed to leave, so that they can fix the problem permanently with things like imprisonment for "sodomy" or involuntary institutionalization to "fix" gender dysphoria.
And a little extra:
I missed this bit on the first go around. They want to end limits on campaign contributions, (massive grift / bribery / corruption potential here), and take a step towards secession and ignoring SCOTUS if they don't like a ruling.
Absolutely insane stuff and people will just keep voting for it because they cannot imagine voting for a (D) candidate.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

They continue to eat their own:

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Not eating their own, but absolutely openly calling for violence as part of campaigning. Totally normal.

Eric Greitens made a campaign ad that literally, not metaphorically, advocates killing Republicans who are not sufficiently pro-Trump.

This is, unmistakably, fascism.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

That ad is appalling. It's reckless, un-American, vile, etc. And that is unfortunately where we probably are going.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Pretty sure we are about to watch the GOP go full-on Homelander over the next 2 years.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

It's equally juvenile and scary.

Incel proud boys. Yay.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Remember I said many months ago that Republicans will split into 2 parties, much like KMT did in Taiwan?

Yeah, it's pretty much happening. Republicans now are doing "purity tests" on each other and people are using their posts to signal their virtues. The question mainly is who will have the common sense to stay with the people, and who will keep silent and let the "right-wingers" dictate their moves, much like the tail wag the dog?
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
malchior

Post by malchior »

Kasey Chang wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:19 am Remember I said many months ago that Republicans will split into 2 parties, much like KMT did in Taiwan?
I think there is a fundamental problem with this idea. It isn't calibrated for the functional differences between the two political systems. On one hand, Taiwan is parliamentary. You can break a party in half and still potentially pass the bar, run for elections, and capture seats. That is not possible almost anywhere in the United States. Even where you have "pure" blue or red states you typically see a solid 2nd party and some tiny splinter representations soaking up a perent or two at most.

The most likely course is the GOP won't break in half. Parties here instead transform or die. And we haven't seen a major party die since before the Civil War. The question we face is where does their transformation take them. That is the battle we are seeing and for the GOP they tend to rally to the party in the end. Worse, we are long past the point where we have to continue to be worried that there is a line they aren't willing to cross.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Why are we talking about the GOP party transforming? It’s already happened. The moderates aren’t rallying to a new party, they are retiring and leaving politics. The MAGA elements are running the show, and nobody in the party can fight them.