2024 Fundraising - $329 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

MLB 2011 Season

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

The Evil Dead

MLB 2011 Season

Post by The Evil Dead »

As Spring Training comes to an end, I'm super-stoked for the regular season to begin. Being a Mariners fan, you may wonder why, but I like to think we can only go up from the mess last season. Either way, it's baseball and it's just something I love to watch. Anyone else getting geared up for the season?
Listen to the Eels
Isgrimnur

Re: MLB 2011 Season

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm interested, but I'm not holding out too much hope for improvement in the Rangers, what with losing the battle for Cliff Lee and CEO Chuck Greenburg getting forced out after a year in which he pretty much was the face of the team's turnaround.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
naednek

Post by naednek »

REPEAT
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
The Evil Dead

Post by The Evil Dead »

Yeah, I have a hard time thinking the Rangers will repeat their success of last year. On paper, it looks like the A's taking first with their young rotation now with year of good experience under the belt and some solid offense and defense. As much as I like him, I don't see Matsui being a key player to their success. But on paper, a lot of people had the Mariners winning the west last season, so we'll see :)
Listen to the Eels
malichai11

Post by malichai11 »

I'm not remotely excited about this season. My wife (who's been a Royals fan for 30 years, her grandpa hooked her when she was little), and I are still boycotting attending a Royals game until Dayton Moore is fired. He'd perhaps make a good head of scouting, but he's still an absolute moron when it comes to constructing a major league team.
ChaoZ

Post by ChaoZ »

The Jays won't come anywhere near the playoffs this year, but I do have tickets for opening night on Friday.
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

I'm very excited for the season to begin, even though I'm an Astros fan. I just love baseball. Lots of the sabrmetric sites are predicting the Astros to be the very worst team in MLB this year. But I don't think they'll fall that far. I actually think they've turned a corner and the organization is on the way back up. I'm not sure that will show on the field this year though.

I predict they'll go 75-87 in 2011.
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
J.D.

Post by J.D. »

They're coming home!

- Two tickets to Jays vs. Twins, opening night in Toronto? Check.
- 54,000 of my closest friends making noise and waving towels? Check.
- A young, exciting team with a bright future? Check.

Can't. Wait.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'm excited for the season. All the talking heads are going nuts for the Red Sox - something like 33 of ESPN's 45 experts picked them to win the world series. Those expectations might get a bit annoying - Boston media's going to go bonkers if they start 10-12 or something.

More of a problem is that my wife and I don't have cable because we can get most of our shows for free on the channel websites. With MLB I can't get it via broadcast, and the options to purchase it online aren't really good enough - at least last season the games on MLB.tv weren't posted until ~ midnight EST, which means I'd be watching each game the next day, and probably have the result spoiled already. I suppose I should check MLB.tv and other online options to see if they've improved.

It's annoying because I like baseball enough for it to hurt not to see it, but not enough to pay exhorbitant cable television costs.
Black Lives Matter.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Enlarge Image

Ethan and I are ready
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

I'm stoked for this season. The KC youth movement is starting (4 rookies on the squad including 3 in the bullpen). I can't wait for Moustakas to get his June call-up. Hopefully we'll see Hosmer and Montgomery by September.

EDIT - I was wrong. We've got four rookies in the bullpen.

I fully expect my Royals to lose 90 games this year but for the first time in a long time I can see hope on the horizon.

Next year KC hosts the All-Star game and I'm already thinking about going. I'm thinking I'd go back for a week so I can catch a few games either before or after the ASG.

On the downside Portland no longer has any baseball now that soccer ( :roll: ) has taken over the Beaver's stadium. I'll have to travel 20 miles south of town to see a short-season rookie squad play when I need my local baseball fix.

Go Royals!

:horse:
Last edited by Exodor on Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
theohall

Post by theohall »

I have no idea what to expect this season.

Other than Pujols being his usual self, Molina continuing to gun down base stealers, and Carpenter doing his robo-arm thing again, several new faces on the team.

Will LaRussa and Rasmus still not get along? Will Rasmus actually learn to be the line drive hitter which would make him more effective?

How will TLR handle the likes of Tyler Green, David Freese, Daniel Descalso. He has been short with young players in the past. Does he get over that and let them learn by playing or does he bench them for any slight he sees?

Who knows?

Pitching looks like it will be an adventure again also.

Go Cards!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Going to opening day at US Cellular, will probably even hit Wrigley in the next few weeks.

And just looking forward to the dulcet sounds of The Great Game ringing in spring.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

Very happy about baseball being back, but I can't say I'm terribly optimistic about the Cubs. Spring training was a mess and I'm just not sold on Quade as the manager. Oh well, I didn't expect a ton out of the 2003 squad either and that ended up being the most fun I've ever had during a baseball season (except for the end).

Oh, and I hate this split opening day thing. Give me a real opening day, with all the teams playing, dammit.
To my Wife:

"Life's only life with you in this song" -Whistles the Wind, Flogging Molly

Not to my Wife:

- "When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for his life."
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I'm optimistic this year for the Braves. I'd be even more optimistic if they didn't have to deal with that Phillies rotation so I'm predicting a Wild Card birth for the Braves.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
J.D.

Post by J.D. »

theohall wrote:I have no idea what to expect this season.

Other than Pujols being his usual self, Molina continuing to gun down base stealers, and Carpenter doing his robo-arm thing again, several new faces on the team.

Will LaRussa and Rasmus still not get along? Will Rasmus actually learn to be the line drive hitter which would make him more effective?

How will TLR handle the likes of Tyler Green, David Freese, Daniel Descalso. He has been short with young players in the past. Does he get over that and let them learn by playing or does he bench them for any slight he sees?

Who knows?

Pitching looks like it will be an adventure again also.

Go Cards!
Rasmus and TLR better get a long this year. I kept Rasmus in my keeper pool thinking this would be his breakout season.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

J.D. wrote:Rasmus and TLR better get a long this year. I kept Rasmus in my keeper pool thinking this would be his breakout season.
I'm sure he'll have a great year - once TLR forces a trade and KC picks him up. :wink:

We have this Jeff Francouer. He's a gritty veteran. TLR loves those guys.
Hrnac

Post by Hrnac »

The Brewers are off to a good start with back to back homers by Weeks and Gomez to start the game.

-Hrnac
Never do today what can be done tomorrow.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Heyward poped one. He hit one opening day last year too.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

naednek wrote:Enlarge Image

Ethan and I are ready
I'm going to the Dodgers home opener against the Giants tonight. I really hope they disappoint you. :P
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

godhugh wrote:Very happy about baseball being back, but I can't say I'm terribly optimistic about the Cubs. Spring training was a mess and I'm just not sold on Quade as the manager. Oh well, I didn't expect a ton out of the 2003 squad either and that ended up being the most fun I've ever had during a baseball season (except for the end).
The positive thing for the Cubs this year is the division. St. Louis, Milwaukee, and Cincinnati could all compete this year, but none of them look like the kind of teams that are going to run away with it. It would take a lot things to align just right for the Cubs to make a run at it, but this is the time of year for baseless optimism*, isn't it?

* Baseless optimism not applicable to Pittsburgh.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
WPD

Post by WPD »

Orioles are going to lose less than 90 games... you heard it here first!
Later ya'll.
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

I'm just hoping the O's have a .500 season. Brian Roberts breaks down again it won't be pretty. Zach Britton looks good, but the O's sent him down so they can control him for 7 yrs instead of 6. Heck, the O's will be worth watching since Buck is running the show. He's already shot his mouth off about Jeter, the yank's and Red Sox's payroll
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I have my fantasy draft tonight.......

In real life I hope the Dodgers have a great year and the Giants fall back where they belong. :mrgreen:
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

tru1cy wrote:I'm just hoping the O's have a .500 season. Brian Roberts breaks down again it won't be pretty. Zach Britton looks good, but the O's sent him down so they can control him for 7 yrs instead of 6. Heck, the O's will be worth watching since Buck is running the show. He's already shot his mouth off about Jeter, the yank's and Red Sox's payroll
They should be. Reynolds will probably hit a HR or strike out every at-bat. Adam Jones should be fun to watch, he could have a great season.

Scuzz wrote:I have my fantasy draft tonight.......
Seems a bit late. Just remember that anyone who hit a HR, got a win, or got a save today will be overvalued. :lol:

MYT
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I think I heard this morning that the Cubs have already been mathematically eliminated. Something about matter/antimatter interactions involving players that will result in obliteration of the team. Combined with financial issues involving the owners and the city, the roster will be replaced by rats who might make unexpected, but ultimately futile, run at the division title.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

ImLawBoy wrote:
godhugh wrote:Very happy about baseball being back, but I can't say I'm terribly optimistic about the Cubs. Spring training was a mess and I'm just not sold on Quade as the manager. Oh well, I didn't expect a ton out of the 2003 squad either and that ended up being the most fun I've ever had during a baseball season (except for the end).
The positive thing for the Cubs this year is the division. St. Louis, Milwaukee, and Cincinnati could all compete this year, but none of them look like the kind of teams that are going to run away with it. It would take a lot things to align just right for the Cubs to make a run at it, but this is the time of year for baseless optimism*, isn't it?

Isn't baseless optimism *most* applicable to Pittsburgh? You don't get much more baseless than that.
Black Lives Matter.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

One game down and the Nats still haven't scored. Awesome.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

El Guapo wrote:
ImLawBoy wrote:

Isn't baseless optimism *most* applicable to Pittsburgh? You don't get much more baseless than that.
I just can't envision any optimism among that fan base, whether baseless or not. And I say that as a Cubs fan.
naednek

Post by naednek »

In real life I hope the Dodgers have a great year and the Giants fall back where they belong. :mrgreen:
How can you be a Dodgers fan living in Fresno...
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

naednek wrote:

How can you be a Dodgers fan living in Fresno...

Grew up with an older brother who worshipped Sandy Koufax.....

Although in the last 15 years I have been to many games at either Oakland-Alemeda or AT&T Park. I have a sister who lives up there so we stay with here and Bart into games.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
tru1cy wrote:I'm just hoping the O's have a .500 season. Brian Roberts breaks down again it won't be pretty. Zach Britton looks good, but the O's sent him down so they can control him for 7 yrs instead of 6. Heck, the O's will be worth watching since Buck is running the show. He's already shot his mouth off about Jeter, the yank's and Red Sox's payroll
They should be. Reynolds will probably hit a HR or strike out every at-bat. Adam Jones should be fun to watch, he could have a great season.

Seems a bit late. Just remember that anyone who hit a HR, got a win, or got a save today will be overvalued. :lol:
We always draft as close as possible to opening day to avoid the injuries that can happen. Anyone who takes a player based on a game played today is an idiot anyway.
Black Lives Matter
theohall

Post by theohall »

And Ryan Theriot, former Cub, can't field a simple ball thrown in from the outfield costing the Cards the win in 11. Screw the Cubs.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

theohall wrote:And Ryan Theriot, former Cub, can't field a simple ball thrown in from the outfield costing the Cards the win in 11. Screw the Cubs.
Woohoo, Padres undefeated in first place! For a day anyway...
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Mr Bubbles

Post by Mr Bubbles »

Go Dodgers!
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.”
Bertrand Russell
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Freezer-TPF- wrote:One game down and the Nats still haven't scored. Awesome.
You can blame it on me if you want. I was there.
Hodor.
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Great pitching from both Kershaw and Lincecum. The relievers for both teams completely sucked, and Broxton really tried to throw it all away. I hope the Dodgers aren't making any long term plans with him closing.

The only disappointment for the evening was the National Anthem done by Placido Domingo. He completely played it straight when there was really no better time to do an homage to the great Enrico Palazzo. :P
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Domingo = disappointment? I hope that's sarcasm.
Hodor.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

pr0ner wrote:Domingo = disappointment? I hope that's sarcasm.
Did you miss the Enrico Palazzo joke?
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

ImLawBoy wrote:
pr0ner wrote:Domingo = disappointment? I hope that's sarcasm.
Did you miss the Enrico Palazzo joke?
:doh:
Hodor.