Minecraft Multiplayer!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Sepiche

Re: Minecraft Multiplayer!

Post by Sepiche »

It was my secret lair for a while, but I have a mine shaft that goes down to bedrock underneath one of the towers near the spawn. It wouldn't be tough at all to expand it to an Underdark Station.
Shinjin

Post by Shinjin »

I'm hosed if mobs get turned back on before I remember to build a home :) Maybe I can harden my giant dirt acorn...
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

This is something worth bringing up that we'll have to deal with at some point...

Creepers!

Soon I'm sure Notch will get monsters working in multiplayer and we'll have to confront the possibility of damage to construction from them.

There are a couple of ways we can deal with this:
1) With that in mind we can start adding a bit more defensibility to our constructions... walls, moats, lighting, etc.

2) If people are particularly attached to their buildings on the server we could look at turning the current world into more of a creative server and starting with a fresh new survival world once there are monsters to encounter.

I'd be open to either approach, but I thought I'd throw that out there.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Sepiche wrote:This is something worth bringing up that we'll have to deal with at some point...

Creepers!

Soon I'm sure Notch will get monsters working in multiplayer and we'll have to confront the possibility of damage to construction from them.

1) With that in mind we can start adding a bit more defensibility to our constructions... walls, moats, lighting, etc.

2) If people are particularly attached to their buildings on the server we could look at turning the current world into more of a creative server and starting with a fresh new survival world once there are monsters to encounter.

I'd be sad to lose all my hard work, but to be honest it was never built with defense in mind.
I'm in favor of the clean slate when monsters show up.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

Archinerd wrote:
Sepiche wrote:This is something worth bringing up that we'll have to deal with at some point...

Creepers!

I'd be sad to lose all my hard work, but to be honest it was never built with defense in mind.
I'm in favor of the clean slate when monsters show up.

Agreed.
A fresh start on oct 31st could be cool.
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
Shinjin

Post by Shinjin »

I figured that I'd build a wall 2-high around my creations and keep them illuminated enough to discourage spawning. Or perhaps just add drowning traps around them.

But a clean start works as well.

I'm wishy-washy like that sometimes.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

Shinjin wrote:I figured that I'd build a wall 2-high around my creations and keep them illuminated enough to discourage spawning. Or perhaps just add drowning traps around them.

But a clean start works as well.

I'm wishy-washy like that sometimes.
What if they spawn inside, where you think you're safe and all of a sudden SHHHHHHHHHHHHH BOOOOM

You wouldn't be the first to beleive you're safe in your house/cave , you beleive it's all lit up, but it's not, you missed that litte spot over there and that's where they'll come from, that's how you'll die.
Isgrimnur wrote:
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Creepers!

I think it could be very fun -- a different kind of fun -- when monsters are finally "turned on" in SMP. The idea of scrambling to survive in the monster-infested ruins of a dying civilization that we built ourselves really appeals to me.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

AWS260 wrote: I think it could be very fun -- a different kind of fun -- when monsters are finally "turned on" in SMP. The idea of scrambling to survive in the monster-infested ruins of a dying civilization that we built ourselves really appeals to me.
Actually that sounds fun to me now too. I want to change my vote. :)
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Depending on what we decide too it's also not a problem for me to zip up a copy of the map before monsters get enabled that people could download and use for single player.
Crabbs

Post by Crabbs »

I'm open to either option, but I think it might be more of a challenge (in a fun way) to retrofit our current constructions into a monstered.
'The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.'
- Bertrand Russell -

Wii # 2042 8377 5645 6582

The Rainbow's Reward

Olivia's Big Adventure
Crabbs

Post by Crabbs »

Hmm anyone else having difficulty logging on? I keep timing out.
- Bertrand Russell -

The Rainbow's Reward

Olivia's Big Adventure
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Crabbs wrote:Hmm anyone else having difficulty logging on? I keep timing out.
I'll be home for lunch in a little over an hour and I'll take a look.

I sure hope the Halloween update also fixes some of the scarier memory leaks and latency issues. :P
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

Iam up for survival too, though i didnt build anything, so count it as silent voet :))
CGMark

Post by CGMark »

i just saw this game on G4 yesterday. I was messing with the browser version. I am planning on paying the 10 for the game this weekend. Looks pretty neat.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

CGMark wrote:i just saw this game on G4 yesterday. I was messing with the browser version. I am planning on paying the 10 for the game this weekend. Looks pretty neat.
Wow, he's getting coverage on G4 now? He's going to start his company just in time to retire comfortably if this keeps up. :P
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

Sepiche wrote:
CGMark wrote:i just saw this game on G4 yesterday. I was messing with the browser version. I am planning on paying the 10 for the game this weekend. Looks pretty neat.
Wow, he's getting coverage on G4 now? He's going to start his company just in time to retire comfortably if this keeps up. :P

Lol, i am pretty sure he could have already retired, its pure profit for him . Now that he have some staff, it might be a bit different, but then again he hired 3 people so far, and during one of the updates (2 month ago) he mentioned he did 4000 sales of the game in one day, with easy math he is looking at 52,000 in one day, that's a year of salary for his 1 worker , 3 days like that and he covered his payroll for the year. He also had trouble pulling money from his pay pal account at some point, it was around 750,000 i believe. Lets just say, he is in a very good position right now. He could have 20 people firm right now, and would still be able to retire. From what i am seeing sales are not slowing down, though he no longer reveals amount of sales ( i am guessing he finally realized that you are a company now, not just an individual) . All in all well deserved successes, and hopefully he will be able to put those money to good use and keep on adding content at brisk pace.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Actually he still has numbers on the stats page:
In the last 24 hours, 27387 people registered, and 10430 people bought the game.
:shock:

I have to admit I'm a tad jealous he was able to get that kind of success right out of the gate, but like you said... he did something no one has quite managed before and the rewards are well earned.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I'm up for just continuing with what we have and dealing with the new challenges. However, I'll participate just as much if we go the clean slate route. I'm having too much fun to quit.

Once the torches wear out, I'm going to be very happy that my main mines are networks of 1x2 tunnels. One block in the end will keep all the current baddies from coming out of them. However, its really gonna suck if some of the new monsters are 1 block high!
Last edited by Cylus Maxii on Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

At this point I would really hate to abandon my creations to a server reset so I would vote just making a hard backup of the server and seeing what happens.

Of course the fact that Chris and I have practically built Fort Knox may contribute some bias. :D

If worse comes to worse you guys can hide in our fortress!
Mold Maker

Post by Mold Maker »

My vote is to unleash the horde on our creation and see how it goes.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

This is gonna be awesome! I really like the monsters in single player survival.

I'm going to stock up on arrows while I can. There is a skeleton spawner near the active area. Just head up river (the direction that is behind the statue of Harold; at least I assumed it is a statue of Harold, what with the tree growing out of his head...). Its right by the river and is well marked with a cluster of 5 or so torches on each side. Its very close to the surface. I think I harvested all the mossy cobblestone from it already.

Anyway, the skeletons fight each other - just run around and pick up the arrows.
Last edited by Cylus Maxii on Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

My basement will become a hellish pit of death when the monsters start appearing.

Actually, just getting down to my basement will become seriously hazardous once falling damage is turned on.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

AWS260 wrote:My basement will become a hellish pit of death when the monsters start appearing.

Actually, just getting down to my basement will become seriously hazardous once falling damage is turned on.
Hopefully, they will also fix water spawning and you can make pools to dive in to.
Mold Maker

Post by Mold Maker »

I'm going to miss the infinite health & tools.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

We've been living in a meticulously constructed fantasy world for far too long.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Could someone send me the info for the multiplayer server? I'm not sure I would be able to contribute too much, but I'd like to see some of your creations first hand.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Archinerd wrote:We've been living in a meticulously constructed fantasy world for far too long.
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

AWS260 wrote:

Creepers!

I think it could be very fun -- a different kind of fun -- when monsters are finally "turned on" in SMP. The idea of scrambling to survive in the monster-infested ruins of a dying civilization that we built ourselves really appeals to me.

Or imagine a zombie aftermath scenario, with monsters that attack barriers.
Popehat, a blog.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

AWS260 wrote:
Archinerd wrote:We've been living in a meticulously constructed fantasy world for far too long.
fixed!

Isgrimnur wrote:
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

AWS260 wrote:Man, building an underwater tunnel is slow going.
Are you making little breathing shelters like at the bottom of this pic?
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

That's very clever. Much better than drowning.
Crabbs

Post by Crabbs »

AWS260 wrote:That's very clever. Much better than drowning.
I'm much better at drowning though
- Bertrand Russell -

The Rainbow's Reward

Olivia's Big Adventure
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

New map!

Enlarge Image
Shinjin

Post by Shinjin »

Awesome! There's my acorn!
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

For those interested here is a picture of the current Underdark Railroad.
Enlarge Image
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

There's an existing tunnel between Varity and me as well that wouldn't be too much trouble to hook up.
Varity isn't marked on this map but he's the low building with the trees on top near the two towers with the bridge.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

We could also hook up Sudy Nym's place, at the bottom right of that image (the pagoda-like structure is his lighthouse, with his mine a little further out, at the very edge of the picture).
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Unfortunately I haven't had much time to play recently. :( I'd been digging out a rock valley behind my mine to create a little faux city, but kind of ran out of steam.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

I got a secondary lower tunnel to the building to our lower left. Pretty interesting caverns beneath that thing, it's rather insane how big they are!
I'm special!