Single player miniatures games?

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Blackhawk

Single player miniatures games?

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm a long time veteran of miniatures games - Warhammer of late. Unfortunately, I live in a town of 2,000 where the typical pastimes are Bud Lite and inbreeding. As my luck would have it, my wargaming friend is about to move out of the area, and I'm stuck with an useless hobby. I absolutely love painting miniatures and building terrain, but not to just stick on a shelf.

Does anyone know of any good games out there for a single player?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Chaz

Re: Single player miniatures games?

Post by Chaz »

I hear the game "Paint up a Warhammer army and sell it for a mint on Ebay" is pretty good.

I don't know of any solo minis games. I mean, you could always just play Warhammer solo, since as far as I know there's no hidden info. But really, if you're mostly in it for the hobby aspects, you could probably more than cover your expenses by painting to order.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Chaz wrote:I mean, you could always just play Warhammer solo, since as far as I know there's no hidden info.
My opponent's strategy. ;)
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Well yeah. Playing solo becomes less a game of surprise and more of an intellectual puzzle. How can Force A best defeat Force B when Force B has certain advantages?

I'm not saying this is the best solution. There just ain't none of what it sounds like you want (unfortunately). There are definitely some good solo board/war games, but I can't think of any solo minis games.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

There is no hug button. Sad!
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

As awesome as Space Hulk is, I don't think it'd be any good solo. It's heavily dependent on hidden info on the blips.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

Play by blog? You could post photos.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Space Hulk isn't all that fun with 2 players... :coffee:

I'd have to agree that you could play both sides and just attempt to "out-do" yourself.

However, I seem to remember some talk about Mage Knight Dungeons being a pretty good solo-able, mini "dungeon crawl" game. I haven't played it myself, but there was some buzz about it on Boardgame Geek a while back. It might be hard to find the starters and boosters (it is a COLLECTABLE mini game... shudders) but Amazon has a few here and there.

Otherwise you could look into some boardgames that provide similar experiences. Duel of Ages solos pretty well (I'm told, haven't done it yet) but it is also hard to find and is a little expensive (and will have similar problems as soloing Warhammer). There is a new co-op game coming out called Defenders of the Realm that includes 100 minis, but the gameplay is a bit more like Pandemic-meets-Talisman-meets-Runebound. Still, there is rolling, fighting, special abilities, quests, and a map to control, so it is possible that it might scratch the same itch.

Perhaps the best choice would be a boardgame called Dungeon Twister 2: Prison. It has pretty pure, chess-like strategy and you try to get your adventurers through a crazy map that can be twisted to rotate the tiles. The game comes with extensive solo rules and operates through a unit "AI" that you implement according to the situation on the board and a little chart. It sounds complicated, but a lots of people enjoy the solo game as much as the 2-player. You might just look at the BGG entry -http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamee ... r-2-prison. There are similarities to mini gaming here, special abilities, stats, and combat modifiers - but you'll find that it is much more boardgame than something like Warhammer.

That's all I have at the moment. If you like to solo, the best games are co-op games - and these have very little in common with mini gaming.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Actually, the original Dungeon Twister game had some pretty sweet minis that were ripe for paintin' up. I'll have to look into the second one.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Chaz wrote:Actually, the original Dungeon Twister game had some pretty sweet minis that were ripe for paintin' up. I'll have to look into the second one.
I believe the DT 2: Prison minis are considered to be even nicer!
The Rocketman

Post by The Rocketman »

I just recently picked up a copy of 'Hybrid'. Check it out on http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/8515/hybrid" target="_blank. I haven't tried it yet (still assembling and painting my guys), but there are solo-rules available for it. Except for some hidden action cards (but not that many), the game has no hidden information, so it's very tactical in nature.

But, it won't really cater all that much to your painting-needs, because the manufacturer (Rackham) has stopped making metal miniatures, and now only sells prepainted plastic ones. So any metal ones you can find will be quite expensive since they're not being made anymore.
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

I've just bought All Things Zombie: The Boardgame and I've been considering picking up the minis rules to enhance the boardgame. based on what I've read I believe All Things Zombie: Better Dead Than Zed! is solo-able.
Books I finished in: 2022 | 2021 | 2020

Scrobbling at last.fm
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Thanks for all the inputtery (Look, Ma, I made a word!) I'll check out the options. I do love painting and making terrain. I just really hate living in a small town.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Blackhawk wrote:Thanks for all the inputtery (Look, Ma, I made a word!) I'll check out the options. I do love painting and making terrain. I just really hate living in a small town.
Well Blackhawk... I now see your location... You could come up to Bloomington, where they have Warhammer tournaments frequently. That's where I live, and the Game Preserve up here is always full of people wanting to play. I would join you, but I am not man enough nor have the disposable money enough to start collecting minis.

Bloomington is only about 2 hours from the Evansville area. If you go to Facebook, you can find the Bloomington Game Preserve, and they list their events (which includes many many Heroclix and Warhammer tournies). Just a thought...

Bael
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

freelunch wrote:I've just bought All Things Zombie: The Boardgame and I've been considering picking up the minis rules to enhance the boardgame. based on what I've read I believe All Things Zombie: Better Dead Than Zed! is solo-able.

i bought ATZ a few months ago (I had it on P500 pre-order, even) and I STILL have not played it. I need to break it out and run through a solo scenario. i mean, i read the rules, for cryin' out loud.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

killbot737 wrote:SPACE HULK
I'd love to give Space Hulk a whirl, but good god - those prices are nuts. $150 for a board game?
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

They're back to selling for $150? The MSRP was only $100.

Still, you get a whole mess of incredible minis and the nicest cardboard bits I've seen in a long time. Stuff's about 1/8" thick. The minis have a huge amount of detail, and each marine has a unique sculpt. The stealers have 2 or 3 of some models, but there's 20 of them, so there's still a lot of variety. It's expensive, but the quality matches the cost.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

Blackhawk wrote:
killbot737 wrote:SPACE HULK
I'd love to give Space Hulk a whirl, but good god - those prices are nuts. $150 for a board game?
Great googly-moogly! I thought it was $80. I bought the previous version and all the expansions. :)

ed -- Shit I'd better get to my local gaming store before they mark it up!
Last edited by killbot737 on Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no hug button. Sad!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Chaz wrote:They're back to selling for $150? The MSRP was only $100.

Still, you get a whole mess of incredible minis and the nicest cardboard bits I've seen in a long time. Stuff's about 1/8" thick.
Unfortunately, unless you live somewhere without any shred of humidity, or you pack the box with those silicon packets that absorb moisture, every single one of those beautiful floor tiles WILL warp. :x
He won. Period.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Have to fix that by going into the 3rd dimension. I thought Warhammer (40K) was pretty much a single player miniature game -- you spent more time with the paints and minis than actually playing.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

hepcat wrote:
I wrote:I've just bought All Things Zombie: The Boardgame and I've been considering picking up the minis rules to enhance the boardgame. based on what I've read I believe All Things Zombie: Better Dead Than Zed! is solo-able.
i bought ATZ a few months ago (I had it on P500 pre-order, even) and I STILL have not played it. I need to break it out and run through a solo scenario. i mean, i read the rules, for cryin' out loud.
I've now played ATZ: The Boardgame twice, once alone and once with my two sons - it is a little fiddly but I think that'll reduce as we get used to it. I found it very difficult the first time I played (hordes of zombies swarming toward my shotgun blasts), less so the second time (when I equipped crossbows instead)
Books I finished in: 2022 | 2021 | 2020

Scrobbling at last.fm
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Ogre would lend itself well I'd think http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/637873/ogre" target="_blank and you could do the minis with lego as in this image
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I may have found the answer - the new AD&D Castle Ravenloft Boardgame! The gameplay is similar to Descent, it is a co-op dungeon crawl with a streamlined (very apparently) D&D ruleset. However, the game is fully able to be soloed. Theew is no need for a DM as the players take turns being the DM (so already better than Descent in that regard). The monsters have "tactics" that govern how they move. Also, it comes with a good amount (40) of plastic minis (they look all very high end quality, like FFG).

Here is a picture of the Wraith card:

I'm in, and I am pretty excited. I was thinking about DungeonQuest as a solo RPG, dungeon crawl, but Castle Ravenloft looks exactly like what I wanted - minis, characters with different skills and power, items, an actual goal and story.

It all looks very awesome!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Thanks, I will check into that. I'm still looking for something good to play as a quick boardgame or with the kids. As luck would have it though, the premise of this thread has become irrelevant. My moving friend ended up not moving, and instead of no players, I've ended up with extra.

I've actually found myself starting up a game of D&D (well, Pathfinder) for the first time in about fifteen years, and my wargaming buddy and I are going to be checking out the Warlord rules from Reaper. It is well past time to tell Games Workshop where to stick their +60% prices and community stomping.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I've heard Pathfinder is quite good. I just don't have the time to devote or enough players to make any roleplaying viable.

I might see if some friends would like to do a session of Call of Cthulhu RPG, just for old time's sake!
donnaj8887

Post by donnaj8887 »

baelthazar wrote:Space Hulk isn't all that fun with 2 players... :coffee:

I'd have to agree that you could play both sides and just attempt to "out-do" yourself.

However, I seem to remember some talk about Mage Knight Dungeons being a pretty good solo-able, mini "dungeon crawl" game. I haven't played it myself, but there was some buzz about it on Boardgame Geek a while back. It might be hard to find the starters and boosters (it is a COLLECTABLE mini game... shudders) but Amazon has a few here and there.

Otherwise you could look into some boardgames that provide similar experiences. Duel of Ages solos pretty well (I'm told, haven't done it yet) but it is also hard to find and is a little expensive (and will have similar problems as soloing Warhammer). There is a new co-op game coming out called Defenders of the Realm that includes 100 minis, but the gameplay is a bit more like Pandemic-meets-Talisman-meets-Runebound. Still, there is rolling, fighting, special abilities, quests, and a map to control, so it is possible that it might scratch the same itch.

Perhaps the best choice would be a boardgame called Dungeon Twister 2: Prison. It has pretty pure, chess-like strategy and you try to get your adventurers through a crazy map that can be twisted to rotate the tiles. The game comes with extensive solo rules and operates through a unit "AI" that you implement according to the situation on the board and a little chart. It sounds complicated, but a lots of people enjoy the solo game as much as the 2-player. You might just look at the BGG entry -http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamee ... r-2-prison. There are similarities to mini gaming here, special abilities, stats, and combat modifiers - but you'll find that it is much more boardgame than something like Warhammer.

That's all I have at the moment. If you like to solo, the best games are co-op games - and these have very little in common with mini gaming.
Such a very amazing link!
Thanks you for the post.

Spam Link Deleted
Last edited by ImLawBoy on Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.