OO Boardgamers, what did you play this weekend?

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

EzeKieL

Re: OO Boardgamers, what did you play this weekend?

Post by EzeKieL »

I've been playing a ton of Marvel Zombies and just tried out the Team vs Team mode which turns the game into a MOBA (Like League of Legends). I really enjoyed it and can't wait to try it against a living opponent :lol:

You can check it out here if interested:
Spoiler:
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I haven't played any board games in quite a while. Partly because my gaming table has been commandeered as storage space for the grand bedroom swap project going on at my house, and partly because I simply haven't been interested. I find that I generally don't have the mental energy at the end of a day to actually put into a game.

On Friday, I swung by the game store just to see if anything grabbed my eye and came home with three games that we've been having a ton of fun with this weekend.

- Escape the Dark Castle is an interesting roguelike that sees your group of 1-4 prisoners trying to escape a randomly generated dungeon full of nasty monsters and traps. It's very simple (can teach it in about 5 minutes) and the number of cards and characters add some good variety so each run feels different. It's pretty difficult (in 6 runs, we have yet to escape) but it's lots of fun getting there. I don't think there's any official IP connection, but the artwork and style reminds me a lot of the Dark Castle computer game I played nonstop as a kid.

- Spellbook is a fun drafting game where you draft and place "materia" (colored bits with runes) to learn spells. There is a risk/reward mechanism where you can choose to spend materia to learn lower spells (and gain their abilities) more quickly, or you can wait to try and get more of the needed resource to learn a higher level that nets more points. It's a fairly basic formula, but the components are great (I especially like the plastic materia chits), it moves quickly, and has enough strategy to be interesting. There are also multiple spell decks you can use to add variety to the game for future plays.

- My kids love Unstable Unicorns, so when I saw Here to Slay was made by the same team and was only $25, I had to give it a shot. Nothing revolutionary, but a decently fun competitive card game. Only issue is that the kids often come to near blows because of the competitive nature ("he's being mean!"). Other than that, it's pretty enjoyable.

None of these are overly deep games, but really scratched the itch of getting something quick and fun back to the table this weekend. I'd give a thumbs up to all three.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

This morning, I visited a board game store that had a jillion (ok, maybe six) different Everdell expansions for sale. Which reminded me that my family hadn't played Everdell in ages. So we played it later in the day.

Still great! I was a little worried that my tastes had changed since we last played. But it turns out that I still love the pacing, the way that it ramps up from a meager trickle to an absolute shower of actions and resources. A delightful game, so solid that I don't feel any compunction to chase down those zillion expansions.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I played a couple laps of HEAT with just one car to learn the mechanics and that seemed to go pretty well so I played a solo game against 3 legends and man those things fly on the straights. The Italy map has a SUPER long back "straight" where they can use all of their speed and it's not really possible to keep up so you have to rock the turns where they tend to get hung up a bit. I'm looking forward to finding myself some real opponents to abuse until they learn how much you need to take advantage of heat.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:32 am I played a couple laps of HEAT with just one car to learn the mechanics and that seemed to go pretty well so I played a solo game against 3 legends and man those things fly on the straights. The Italy map has a SUPER long back "straight" where they can use all of their speed and it's not really possible to keep up so you have to rock the turns where they tend to get hung up a bit. I'm looking forward to finding myself some real opponents to abuse until they learn how much you need to take advantage of heat.
I'd score a copy of this if I weren't getting so close to receiving Oathsworn. They have 75% fulfillment in the U.S., so mine can't be that far away.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:32 am I played a couple laps of HEAT with just one car to learn the mechanics and that seemed to go pretty well so I played a solo game against 3 legends and man those things fly on the straights. The Italy map has a SUPER long back "straight" where they can use all of their speed and it's not really possible to keep up so you have to rock the turns where they tend to get hung up a bit. I'm looking forward to finding myself some real opponents to abuse until they learn how much you need to take advantage of heat.
I just played the solo starter one lap board with five legends (I guess) on BGA. It took three plays through to understand and win. BGA does not reveal their play mechanics, so I have no idea how they work.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:56 am
I just played the solo starter one lap board with five legends (I guess) on BGA. It took three plays through to understand and win. BGA does not reveal their play mechanics, so I have no idea how they work.
Legends are super simple AI. Each round, after you select your gear and cards, you draw a new legends card. Then everyone moves from front to back. You do your normal movement and the legends have three options.

Before each turn, a good distance out is a line, the legends line. If they haven't crossed the line they move their full, ridiculously high (10-20) movement, if possible. If they would hit the corner, then instead they move to the space indicated by the number above their movement on the card (0,1,2 or 3). If they were inside the legends line, then they move the max corner speed plus the number above their movement on the card, which may or may not get them around the turn.

Legends don't get boost, slipstream or adrenaline, but you get to take advantage of all of it as appropriate.

Maybe I should check out the BGA implementation. I haven't used BGA in a long time.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Yup, it all plays like I expected. Pretty good implementation. It took 10 minutes against 5 legends. I kicked their asses. :D USA doesn't have the super long straight the Italy does and that helps.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

This weekend, I played Uprising and was really pleased. It is a light 4X co-op where you gather armies, do quests, and fight both the incursions of Chaos from abroad and the pushback from the Empire at the capital in the center of the board. The art is dark and the whole aesthetic is fantasy post-apocalypse, which is awesome. It also uses amazing plastic standees that absolutely pop on the board.

Gameplay wise it is pretty simple but has a lot of strategy. It is dicey, so that could make some people upset if you don't like luck. You have to play two factions (or more) if you are doing solo play, but I did not find that to be overly difficult.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Finally picked up Wingspan: Asia expansion on the Amazon Prime sale. I'm a big Wingspan fan; I have everything released for it now and really enjoy the solo mode. This one was very high on my wish list in that it was a standalone expansion with a new "Duet" solo and 2-player mode.

The main difference with Duet mode is a new map covered in symbols, some of which give bonuses. For each bird you play, you get to place a token on a symbol matching the terrain you placed your bird in. The new end of round goals, which used to be geared around what you had on your player mat, now revolve around the Duet board. So for instance, one end of round goal might be to have the most tokens in a horizontal row, or have the most tokens on nests. In addition, at the end of the game you score points based on your longest contiguous line of adjacent tokens, so there's an incentive to strategically place tokens if possible.

The Automa has changed quite a bit to take advantage of this new mode. While it still does the typical Automa actions of gaining eggs, stealing food, etc. it can also place tokens based on a very easy to use guide.

I really enjoyed this expansion. The Duet map adds another layer of strategic depth without over-complicating things, and I love that it has everything you need to play without dragging out the hundreds of cards and other things from the base box. In fact, if I just want to play a quick solo round there's no question I'm going to just grab this little box and go.

My wife expressed a lot of interest in learning the game, so this is going to be a perfect way to get her into the world of Wingspan in a way that is designed specifically for 2 players. Big thumbs up from me.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Last weekend I played Wandering Towers at a board game cafe. It's so clever. The play area is a circular track with 3d cardboard towers spread around it. Each player has wizards that sit on top of the towers, and your goal is to get your wizards to one specific location on the track (the keep). On your turn, you can either move a wizard or - much more interesting - move a tower. If a tower lands on another tower, it traps any wizards on top of the lower tower.

That description is kind of convoluted, but it's incredibly easy to understand in practice. You're levitating towers around the board, trying to trap opponents' wizards while getting your own to the finish line. And there are spells.

I think Wandering Towers is a fantastic family game. Easy to pick up, super-interactive, great physical presence on the table.

We also tried Flamecraft. The production is charming as heck, but the gameplay - essentially collect resources, fulfill contracts, repeat - didn't grab us.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Another Sunday brunch with my wife at the board game cafe. We started with Long Shot: The Dice Game, which combines a roll-and-write with horse racing. You're betting on horses, buying horses, speeding them up and slowing them down. And running concession stands at the racetrack. Thematically it's weird, but the result is pretty entertaining. I've played it before with a larger group, where I think it really shines. With only two players, there isn't as much opportunity to reel back the horses in the lead, which makes for a more predictable finish. Still fun.

Then we played Jaipur, which was stellar. It's a two-player-only, simple game of collecting sets of cards, which sounds boring. But it is just about perfect for relaxing at a cafe. Breezy, with just enough crunchiness and interaction to really keep you engaged. Very impressive.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Got my bootleg copy of Glory to Rome to the table tonight. Boy, that game is goofy.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Managed to get through the prologue of Earthborn Rangers over the weekend and rather enjoyed it. I need to re-read the rules, but the prologue has you actually creating your deck as part of the story. What that means is that you're not really fully able to play the game until you finish that process, so they have you skipping some things and ignoring specific elements if they come up. I didn't hate it in terms of a tutorial, but I think I'm ready to get rolling on the full game.

It has a feel a bit like Arkham Horror LCG in that you're always trying to accomplish something on a story or location card and various things pop up to try and slow or change your plans. That said, it doesn't feel overwhelmingly depressing or difficult like Arkham does, it's actually a bit more casual to play. There's a storybook that comes with this game and when events or locations are unlocked you read passages and possibly make choices. It definitely feels more like an RPG - lots of flavor text in the mechanics and the cards. You really can craft a Ranger that fits a theme or your play style just by following the language they use on card types. I'm not really into the deck building mechanic, but apparently it's as deep as you want to make it. Overall it actually felt a bit relaxing to play, which I wasn't exactly expecting.

Freelancers and Fliptown arrived as well, but I haven't even touched them yet.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Late the the party as usual, I have finally played 2019's breakout hit Quacks of Quedlinburg. I can see why it's so beloved - the push-your-luck element introduces just the right amount of chaos and tension, while the bag-building gives you enough control to keep your brain engaged to the end.

We had a good time with it, even though we were using a game cafe's beat-up copy with clear ziplock bags instead cloth bags (we just kept our bags under the table so that we couldn't see inside).
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m going to try a solo game of John Company second edition again. Wish me luck, people. If you don’t hear from me again, just know I tried.
He won. Period.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Finally got to play HEAT: Pedal to the Medal with other people. I taught them the game and then came in last place. My excuse is that, given my prior understanding of the game I gave myself a handicap, giving myself one less heat which could have made a difference. It took a bit longer with mostly new players, but I had a lot of fun with it. Now I want to play with advanced rules.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:00 am Finally got to play HEAT: Pedal to the Medal with other people. I taught them the game and then came in last place. My excuse is that, given my prior understanding of the game I gave myself a handicap, giving myself one less heat which could have made a difference. It took a bit longer with mostly new players, but I had a lot of fun with it. Now I want to play with advanced rules.
Happened to me in Dallas last year. I taught 2 new players how to play Lost Ruins of Arnak. They pounded me, and I didn't even give myself a handicap. :oops:
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

That happened to me teaching Nightfall to Isgrimnur. We played part of a hand, then restarted so hepcat and I could be destroyed. It was impressive, would lose again.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:twisted:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:11 am Managed to get through the prologue of Earthborn Rangers over the weekend and rather enjoyed it. I need to re-read the rules, but the prologue has you actually creating your deck as part of the story. What that means is that you're not really fully able to play the game until you finish that process, so they have you skipping some things and ignoring specific elements if they come up. I didn't hate it in terms of a tutorial, but I think I'm ready to get rolling on the full game.

It has a feel a bit like Arkham Horror LCG in that you're always trying to accomplish something on a story or location card and various things pop up to try and slow or change your plans. That said, it doesn't feel overwhelmingly depressing or difficult like Arkham does, it's actually a bit more casual to play. There's a storybook that comes with this game and when events or locations are unlocked you read passages and possibly make choices. It definitely feels more like an RPG - lots of flavor text in the mechanics and the cards. You really can craft a Ranger that fits a theme or your play style just by following the language they use on card types. I'm not really into the deck building mechanic, but apparently it's as deep as you want to make it. Overall it actually felt a bit relaxing to play, which I wasn't exactly expecting.

Freelancers and Fliptown arrived as well, but I haven't even touched them yet.
I don't know how I missed Earthborne Rangers the first time around. I did see they have a Gamefound preview for a second printing, so I'm following that. It looks like it would be right up my alley.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Like everything else, you're likely going to be better off with the second printing. Not only will it be here faster, but it will address errata that has been identified.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

This weekend's try-something-new-at-the-board-game-cafe was Terror Below, which is basically Tremors: The Board Game. Giant worm monsters are tunneling below the desert in the American Southwest, while the players drive around trying to kill them while not getting killed themselves.

The fun of the game is in manipulating the monsters. You have some control over where and when each monster will, so you're trying to send it onto the other players (if you think the other players don't have the weaponry to kill it) or onto yourself (if you're confident that you can take it out).

It's not too complicated, and pretty pacey and interactive once you grok the flow of the game. Our game ended with a weird edge case not covered in the rulebook, which was kind of frustrating, so we called it a draw. I don't think we'll be seeking it out again, but if someone wanted to play it I wouldn't say no.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Had a lot of fun playing through the chapter 5 story and encounter of Oathsworn. This game is difficult for me. I don't get the "too easy" comments of some folks. Trying to decide whether to break a hit die or reduce a different one is a stressful decision. I'm still not sure if I'm picking the right one at times. It definitely adds to the AP that I sometimes get with this game... And don't even get me started on the swing and a misses!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Got a chance to break out Horrified: Greek Monsters last night. 2 players vs 3 random monsters.

It doesn't do much to shake up the formula at all, other than add facedown lair tokens to the setup that must be revealed. If your monster has a Lair, its Lair must be revealed before you can make progress against it. It essentially acts as an extra little time sink.

Complexity-wise the three monsters we faced didn't seem particularly crazy. The Siren has you playing a Memory-style tile matching game. The Chimera you just had to play certain tile combos against each of its heads. And the Minotaur had you assemble its labyrinth, so it was a bit of a tile placement/swap game.

The game still showcased its nice balance, with us pulling out a victory on the very last card (and due to one very lucky die roll).

Ultimately it's just more of the same, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. However, three games in the series later it would be nice to see some bigger variations like we've seen with Pandemic. On the bright side, it does provide a tougher challenge than the original game, and falls to me right in line with the difficulty level of Horrified: American Monsters.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Tried out the latest in Ravensburger's Adventure Book series, Lord of the Rings tonight. This is the third in the series after The Princess Bride and The Wizard of Oz, which were very light but which I still enjoyed.

The high-level gameplay is that each game is a campaign made up of several chapters, with each chapter essentially being a cooperative mini-game (20 minutes or so). To complete a chapter, you typically have to meet the conditions of 3-4 challenges. These typically involve getting characters to a certain location and then turning in cards matching the required symbols. On your turn you can move figures, trade a card with another player, complete a challenge, etc. Pretty basic stuff.

The real fun of the game lies in the varying chapter mechanics, and trying to get through the entire campaign without failing.

The LOTR version is certainly the most challenging one of the set so far, as it adds a One Ring doom track that is in use throughout the campaign. There are One Ring cards in the deck that act as wild cards for any symbol and can be used for a powerful chapter-specific effect, but the catch is that playing or discarding these cards moves the One Ring tracker up, occasionally triggering negative effects. Even worse, if the doom tracker ever gets all the way to the end (something like 18 or 19 spots), you instantly lose.

My biggest complaint with this series is that it doesn't scale very well to lower player counts. Because you need certain card combinations to complete challenges, you're really at the mercy of the deck hoping to draw the right cards before time runs out. Naturally the more players you have, the more cards are out on the table and the more opportunity you have to trade to get the cards you need. LOTR addresses this somewhat by letting you play solo with an extra dummy hand you can use for trading, but in practice I still found the game incredibly difficult in later stages.

I think my next playthrough I'll just play multi-handed like I have the others in the series. Despite that flaw, this is easily my favorite in the series so far. Each iteration has had slight improvements to make it better than the previous entry, and as long as that trend continues I'll keep grabbing these for the collection.
Fishbelly

Post by Fishbelly »

I received my copy of 20 Strong from Chip Theory Games on Friday, and was able to take the game through its paces this weekend.

There's been quite a bit of controversy over the quality of the dice, as well as the quite STRONG smell of the game components, so I was a bit worried when I opened the package. Personally, I am fairly sensitive to strong smells, and I did indeed get a slight headache while opening the game. Too tired to play anyway on a Friday evening, I let the components sit over night. When I sat down to play the next morning, the smell had dissipated almost entirely. (If I hold the dice very close to my nose, I can still catch the slightest hint of a gasoline-like odor, but I do not notice it while playing.)

The dice themselves seemed to be the culprit, which was verified by Ghillie of CTG on their Gamefound page. Apparently dice are usually allowed to sit/air dry for a period of time before packaging--and this was sped up (or skipped entirely) to expedite shipping a delayed product.

As to the quality of the dice, I did see some of the issues with larger glitter flakes settling to one face of the dice. Luckily, all my dice have no glitter sticking out one side, as some folks have attested to. For me, the issue is a minor one, and a couple sides are simply a bit less attractive than the others. Guess I lucked out.

The gameplay itself is a simple one. I began with the "base set", playing the Solar Sentinels, as I wanted to check out an entirely new IP, versus a retread of Too Many Bones or Hoplomachus. As is often the case with CTG games, I did poorly my first couple of games while learning the flow of the game. 20 Strong strikes a fine balance where the player must carefully manage his resources (mostly the dice themselves). Spent dice are exhausted, and your beginning recovery stat determines how many dice you recover at the end of a round. Initially, I overspent dice too much and would run out when I truly needed them. Once I began to adjust to the rhythm of gameplay, I had a great time. The final boss battle was tense, and I just managed to squeak out a win on my third attempt. Of course, this was on the easiest play level, w/o using the missions system. I do like that the difficulty level is easy to scale as you improve your own skills.

All in all, I like what I see. I was hoping for a quick, portable game I could grab and take with me when going out of town, and I feel they hit the mark.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I got Lunar to the table Saturday with another player. We really liked it. I love the combat. Knocking people around is the name of the game. This is because your suits are your hit points. If you get knocked down for any reason beyond willing taking the action to go prone, you have to roll to see if you take damage. If you get hit with blunt weapons, you have to roll to see if you get knocked back (you inevitably will if you lose by even one), after which you go prone. Heaven help you if you hit someone else on the way, as they also get knocked back and then go prone. You can set up hilariously awful combos this way.

And once you're prone, don't even think about an unarmed attack (i.e. the old "kick 'em while they're down" maneuver). Unarmed attacks are literally just attempts to push someone over (or, the case of blunt weapons. to knock them back THEN push them over). You're basically this guy:

So trying to punch them with what are essentially cushions on your feet and hands is useless. You need to get yourself a piercing weapon.

I also love that you can exert yourself up to two times to use up more oxygen (which is your action points) on one turn, then lose that many oxygen on your next turn unless you rest (you get a free rest per figure during the end of each round, but you can't enhance your changes of losing that exertion token by spending more oxygen). To get rid of the tokens, you have to roll a 4 through 6 on a 6 sided die to lose one token per rest/end round phase.

There's a revised rulebook (it needs one, the rules in the first edition are not that good) that I now think I'll be getting. There's also a new starter for 60 bucks that comes with 6 figs instead of 10. But it's also 20 bucks cheaper than the first edition starter.
He won. Period.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Fishbelly wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:36 am There's been quite a bit of controversy over the quality of the dice, as well as the quite STRONG smell of the game components, so I was a bit worried when I opened the package. Personally, I am fairly sensitive to strong smells, and I did indeed get a slight headache while opening the game. Too tired to play anyway on a Friday evening, I let the components sit over night. When I sat down to play the next morning, the smell had dissipated almost entirely. (If I hold the dice very close to my nose, I can still catch the slightest hint of a gasoline-like odor, but I do not notice it while playing.)

The dice themselves seemed to be the culprit, which was verified by Ghillie of CTG on their Gamefound page. Apparently dice are usually allowed to sit/air dry for a period of time before packaging--and this was sped up (or skipped entirely) to expedite shipping a delayed product.
I was reading this as I was opening my copy (which came last night). My dice definitely have flakes all on one side, but it isn't a huge issue. The bigger issue is they smell exactly like I poured gasoline into a bag. I am going to lay mine out on a CTG dice tray and put them outside today.
Fishbelly

Post by Fishbelly »

baelthazar wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:17 pm I was reading this as I was opening my copy (which came last night). My dice definitely have flakes all on one side, but it isn't a huge issue. The bigger issue is they smell exactly like I poured gasoline into a bag. I am going to lay mine out on a CTG dice tray and put them outside today.
That's exactly what I did--left them in my CTG tray over night. Here's hoping the gasoline smell fades as quickly for your dice as is did for mine.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

YellowKing wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:47 pm Tried out the latest in Ravensburger's Adventure Book series, Lord of the Rings tonight. This is the third in the series after The Princess Bride and The Wizard of Oz, which were very light but which I still enjoyed.
The name 'adventure book' and what I've seen are throwing me off. Does this have a narrative element, or is it mostly just background theme? And how is the replayability?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

A couple of impressions from the weekend:

Bargain Quest is basically Recettear, if you remember that PC game from a decade ago. You're running an equipment shop for adventurers, outfitting them for dangerous quests while staying safe and sound in your little shop. You score points if the adventurers you equip are successful, but also for the money you make. And making money is often a more reliable path to victory.

It's fun and fast, with really great artwork. We played with the Black Market expansion, which lets you add some illicit goods to your shop. (My favorite was the fraudulent will that I sold to a warrior, which paid out to me when he inevitably died in the dungeon.)

I also played Septima, the latest game from Mindclash. It was advertised as being more accessible than their usual heavy games, but it's still pretty heavy. You play as a witch, trying to expand your coven while healing the the local villagers and dodging witch hunters. I really liked the game's core tension: you want to coordinate your actions with the other players, which makes those actions more powerful - but doing so raises the suspicion of the witch hunters. The various systems around that - collecting ingredients, delivering potions, influencing witch trials - all work smoothly, but there's a lot to track, and the iconography is a lot to work through. A very good game, but not one that I would recommend to casual board gamers.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Blackhawk wrote:The name 'adventure book' and what I've seen are throwing me off. Does this have a narrative element, or is it mostly just background theme? And how is the replayability?
The adventure book is basically just the premise that the campaign is divided into chapters, and the game boards themselves are in book form. There's no real narrative element - you're basically just playing cooperative mini-games based on different notable scenes from the movies. Technically to "beat" the game you need to finish every chapter without meeting a losing condition (in earlier games this is failing a chapter twice, while in LOTR it's reaching the end of the doom track).

It's certainly replayable in that there's no revealed information or anything. However, I must stress that these are very much light, family-oriented games so whether you'd *want* to replay it multiple times is a valid question. Playing solo I've been pretty much one and done with them, but YMMV if you're playing with kids.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Fishbelly wrote:I received my copy of 20 Strong from Chip Theory Games on Friday, and was able to take the game through its paces this weekend.
Mine's apparently been stuck in Atlanta since Wednesday. Ugh. No updates to the tracking, so I don't know if it's lost, being stealth delivered, who knows.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:04 pm
Blackhawk wrote:The name 'adventure book' and what I've seen are throwing me off. Does this have a narrative element, or is it mostly just background theme? And how is the replayability?
The adventure book is basically just the premise that the campaign is divided into chapters, and the game boards themselves are in book form. There's no real narrative element - you're basically just playing cooperative mini-games based on different notable scenes from the movies. Technically to "beat" the game you need to finish every chapter without meeting a losing condition (in earlier games this is failing a chapter twice, while in LOTR it's reaching the end of the doom track).

It's certainly replayable in that there's no revealed information or anything. However, I must stress that these are very much light, family-oriented games so whether you'd *want* to replay it multiple times is a valid question. Playing solo I've been pretty much one and done with them, but YMMV if you're playing with kids.
Thanks. I saw it was only ~$30, and it caught my attention. "Consider it when it's on sale" it is, then.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I've bought all of mine during the Target B2G1 sales, which brings them down to around the $25 mark.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

First day at BGG.CON:

Heat: Pedal to the Medal - Second place finish, damn do I waste my heat too often.
Sniper Elite - Close win as the sniper
MLEM Space Agency - Major victory 37 to 21 to even less. Not an amazing game, but not terrible either
Deep Rock Galactic - Co-op win on mission 1, not very interesting to me

I swear I played something else, but I might just be imagining it. :P Still more than I typically play on day one.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:57 pm Heat: Pedal to the Medal - Second place finish, damn do I waste my heat too often.
I would like to play these if the opportunity presents itself.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:57 pm Deep Rock Galactic - Co-op win on mission 1, not very interesting to me
I've got this and played a few sessions - we actually liked it quite a bit (and yeah, the group included people who haven't played the video game. ;) )
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:02 pm
coopasonic wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:57 pm Heat: Pedal to the Medal - Second place finish, damn do I waste my heat too often.
I would like to play these if the opportunity presents itself.
As I own and enjoy them both, I think that can be arranged.
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:30 pm
coopasonic wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:57 pm Deep Rock Galactic - Co-op win on mission 1, not very interesting to me
I've got this and played a few sessions - we actually liked it quite a bit (and yeah, the group included people who haven't played the video game. ;) )
The people I was playing with were very familiar with the video game, but the board game seemed pretty simple. We were trying to speed read the rules and learn it as we went which might have hurt us. We were highly amused at one players amazing ability to miss pretty much every shot he took.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter