Buying a house in Pleasantville, NY!

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

RunningMn9

Re: Buying a house in Pleasantville, NY!

Post by RunningMn9 »

Smoove_B wrote:1/3 of a acre 2 hours? Good lord. I think Trent has close to 2 acres he mows in 2 hours. Then again..he is Trent Steel.
Trent is riding around on a mower. Odin is walking around, pushing his more. I have about 1/2 of an acre (total plot, the grassed portion is obviously less) and with a push mower, it's easily hours. With the riding mower, it's aboot 45 minutes.
Smoove_B wrote:For the most part, I look forward to that hour of iPod+Riding Tractor goodness.
Indeed. I look forward to mowing with my sound-proofing ear protection on, just thinking my various thoughts.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Having read the rest of the thread finally, I should add Rob that you are stepping into what looks like a beautiful house and piece of property there. Enjoy!
Make up bags of change
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Plus you're doing your part to ease the crushing overpopulation of NYC and the cities. Congrats! ;)
Black Lives Matter.
Eightball

Post by Eightball »

Odin wrote:Yeah, I despise mowing my lawn. It's about 1/3 acre, but it takes me a good 2 hrs start to finish, and that's just too much time out of my day to be wandering around my yard pushing a mower.
Get a self-propelled mower. Makes all the difference in the world.
Stupid & lazy
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Eightball wrote:Get a self-propelled mower. Makes all the difference in the world.
I suspect that the problem isn't the walking or pushing part, it's the size of the cutting deck. I was using an 18 or 20 inch cutting deck on the walk-behind. That is why it took so friggin long. The 48 inch cutting deck makes a lot more difference than the "me sitting on the tractor instead of walking" part in terms of time. Although that is what allows me to sit around thinking my thoughts. So I guess there's that. :)
Make up bags of change
Odin

Post by Odin »

Eightball wrote:
Odin wrote:Yeah, I despise mowing my lawn. It's about 1/3 acre, but it takes me a good 2 hrs start to finish, and that's just too much time out of my day to be wandering around my yard pushing a mower.
Get a self-propelled mower. Makes all the difference in the world.
It's self-propelled and I definitely prefer that to not self-propelled, but it makes only a marginal different in how much I hate doing the lawn. The self-propel feature isn't really useful when I'm mowing the little spaces between my shed and my fence, or right up next to the fence (it'll just ram itself hard between the boards and the posts and get the front wheel, the rear wheel, or both wedged in tight), or under the willow trees or when I'm turning or any other time that I'm doing something besides marching down a straightaway.

And RM9 is correct that it only cuts a 21" path, so covering my whole yard takes quite some time of back-and-forth, back-and-forth.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Odin wrote:And RM9 is correct that it only cuts a 21" path, so covering my whole yard takes quite some time of back-and-forth, back-and-forth.
And when you have to bag - even with a bagging attachment - it's a complete nightmare. That took me up into the 4 to 5 hour range for my lawn. Now, with the tractor, I don't care if my lawn looks like a field of corn - I'm mulching that down and leaving it there to rot. The day I bag grass on my lawn is the last day I ever mow my lawn again.
Make up bags of change
Odin

Post by Odin »

RunningMn9 wrote:
Odin wrote:And RM9 is correct that it only cuts a 21" path, so covering my whole yard takes quite some time of back-and-forth, back-and-forth.
And when you have to bag - even with a bagging attachment - it's a complete nightmare. That took me up into the 4 to 5 hour range for my lawn. Now, with the tractor, I don't care if my lawn looks like a field of corn - I'm mulching that down and leaving it there to rot. The day I bag grass on my lawn is the last day I ever mow my lawn again.
You said it, brother. My mower's been a bit temperamental this year (for the first time since I've owned it, really), requiring repair that took about two weeks each time (yeah, I don't know why it took so long, either. The first time was at the very beginning of the season when I figured everyone with a mower was taking it in for tune-ups and repairs, but the same wait the second time surprised me. I don't plan to take it back to that place if I can help it). In both cases, I had (for various reasons) waited a week or so longer than usual before attempting to cut my grass, at which point I realized that my mower didn't work, so now we've got the original week, the extra week, then two weeks of service = 4 weeks of growth when I finally got the thing back. Mulching wasn't an option (the mower would simply jam every 10 feet), so I had to haul that bag to the back hill about 150 times. The most recent occasion was almost a month ago and my back still hasn't recovered. I'm concerned I may have done permanent damage to it.
Eightball

Post by Eightball »

RunningMn9 wrote:
Eightball wrote:Get a self-propelled mower. Makes all the difference in the world.
I suspect that the problem isn't the walking or pushing part, it's the size of the cutting deck. I was using an 18 or 20 inch cutting deck on the walk-behind. That is why it took so friggin long. The 48 inch cutting deck makes a lot more difference than the "me sitting on the tractor instead of walking" part in terms of time. Although that is what allows me to sit around thinking my thoughts. So I guess there's that. :)
Well, I was thinking it was more of the effort involved with having to push a f'ing mower for 2 hours that was the issue. I have the same size lawn as Odin, with a very irregular lot, and it takes me about 45 minutes to cut (though I do it every weekend, so I'm not chopping through waist high grass). Although my mower is a 22" deck, I'm not sure that extra inch saves all that much time for me.

My mower does have a kick-ass mulching attachment, however, which doesn't jam (thankfully). Bagging grass sucks ass.

In no way could I justify buying a riding mower for a 1/3 acre lot. That's too lazy even for me ;)
Stupid & lazy
Jag

Post by Jag »

Eightball wrote:That's too lazy even for me ;)
Where does hiring someone to do it for you fall on the lazy scale?
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

Jag wrote:
Eightball wrote:That's too lazy even for me ;)
Where does hiring someone to do it for you fall on the lazy scale?
I'd say it depends on where you live. It's been 102+ for 17 straight days here and has been around 98-99 for approximately 1-2 months before that. I don't consider hiring someone to mow lazy, I consider it the only sane option.
To my Wife:

"Life's only life with you in this song" -Whistles the Wind, Flogging Molly

Not to my Wife:

- "When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for his life."
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

Well, this is surreal. We're all boxed up and ready for the movers at 9am tomorrow. I just ate a Chipotle burrito bowl with a baby spoon because all our silverware is in a box.

Signing off from NYC. Catch you on the other side!
naednek

Post by naednek »

rrmorton wrote:Well, this is surreal. We're all boxed up and ready for the movers at 9am tomorrow. I just ate a Chipotle burrito bowl with a baby spoon because all our silverware is in a box.

Signing off from NYC. Catch you on the other side!
bet that took 45 mins to eat :P
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Bye! Write us when you get there!
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

Oh, God. They're packing the HDTV. I can't bear to look.

Gently...

GENTLY!
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Eightball wrote:In no way could I justify buying a riding mower for a 1/3 acre lot. That's too lazy even for me ;)
I'd have to see your lot. I have a shade over 1/2 and acre, and it's almost entirely grass. I've got the footprint of the house, the driveway, and two flower beds. The rest is grass. Lots and lots of grass. The first year, I used the self-propelled walk behind. When I didn't have to bag the grass, it was several hours. I remember mowing for like 45 minutes, and it looked like I had done a lot, and then I looked at what I still had to do. Madness. When I had to bag, it add hours.

Now, it's about 45 minutes, and I can mulch it no matter how tall it is. Lazy or not, I win. :)
Make up bags of change
Odin

Post by Odin »

I'd love a riding mower, but aside from the fact that they're too expensive, I also have no place to keep it. Neither my garage nor my shed has enough room.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

rrmorton wrote:Oh, God. They're packing the HDTV. I can't bear to look.
How long did it take them to clear out your NYC space? Both times I've moved, it was like my house was being looted. For some reason, moving in to the new place took 3X as long.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

Damn right! The movers were in and out in a dizzying flash. I hadn't even put on my sneakers and the next thing I knew, they were packed away in a box that was already too deep in the truck for retrieval. Gwen had to run to the store to buy me a new pair. Then the movers drove off and raided our Manhattan Mini Storage unit like a swarm of angry locusts. Got to the house, unpacked the truck, drove off at exactly 5pm.

We tucked the girls in and then couldn't find the corkscrew or the wine glasses so we stood in the front lawn and toasted our new life with screwdrivers in red plastic cups. So far we love it here. I'd forgotten all about crickets and stars.

James from Verizon came yesterday and his router and FIOS service is kicking ass. Way faster than Time Warner Cable.

My new Neuton was waiting for me in the driveway when we arrived so I charged it up and took it for a spin last night. I'm really impressed! It's relatively quiet and the battery life is outstanding. I mowed the back and the front in 40 minutes and it only chewed up about half the charge.

Today we registered Amelia for second grade and afterward we wandered around the school on a self-guided tour (just try that in an NYC public school!) and it looks AWESOME. She's gonna love it. She got a printout of her classmates and spent the whole afternoon studying it.

But there are things about the city I am REALLLLLY gonna miss. Gwen and I were trying to figure out how to get/prepare/order dinner tonight and it was a really debilitating calamity.

Tomorrow, our first trip to the mall. Operation Babygates!
Odin

Post by Odin »

That sounds awesome, Rob! Big congratulations and welcome to suburbia!

This part made me laugh:
rrmorton wrote:But there are things about the city I am REALLLLLY gonna miss. Gwen and I were trying to figure out how to get/prepare/order dinner tonight and it was a really debilitating calamity.
Nobody's ever starved in the suburbs (they ship the homeless people off to the city). You just have to drive around and find the local supermarkets, and each shopping plaza (there should be at least a couple of them nearby) are required to have a pizza joint, a Chinese food take-out, and one other type of restaurant (deli, fast-food, sandwich shop, bakery, etc.).
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

:D

Well, things are made a whole lot more complicated by my dumb wheat allergy/gluten-free diet which means pizza is out, along with delis, pasta, bakeries, Subway, etc, etc. Even Chinese is iffy due to the soy sauce/MSG in everything. It makes finding menu ideas for the whole family a lot harder. I don't mind fending for myself but Gwen wants to do more family meals. We just have to finish settling in and find a new groove.

We went to the Pleasantville farmers market this morning and it was pretty awesome. Found some great cheeses, Indian simmer sauces, pickles, and of course produce. Some middle school kids had set up a tie-dye t-shirt table so Amelia had fun making one of those. Everyone around here is INSANELY FRIENDLY. I kind of like it.

Now we're gearing up for our first family trip to Target. WTF is happening to me?!
Odin

Post by Odin »

rrmorton wrote:Everyone around here is INSANELY FRIENDLY.
Nah, they're regular friendly. It's just that you're used to New York. :D

Oh yeah, by the way, now that you no longer live in "The City" (a place so pretentious that people don't actually need to use its name when they refer to it), welcome to "Upstate New York". Which, to residents of NYC, is anything north of Washington Heights. As far as your former neighbors are concerned, we all live on farms surrounded by cows, chickens and corn. Be sure to get as much value out of NYC as you can, because your tax dollars will prop it up until such time as the gov't finally gets around to walling it off and turning it into a maximum security prison. :D
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Odin wrote:
When we go out to western Mass every year it takes me 4 or 5 days to let my guard down. Strangers who start conversations are usually after your money or your soul...but out in the sticks they're just guileless.
DarkVulgar

Post by DarkVulgar »

welcome to "Upstate New York". Which, to residents of NYC, is anything north of Washington Heights. As far as your former neighbors are concerned, we all live on farms surrounded by cows, chickens and corn. Be sure to get as much value out of NYC as you can, because your tax dollars will prop it up until such time as the gov't finally gets around to walling it off and turning it into a maximum security prison. :D
Yup. Which is why I want out. I think I got a year or two left in me before we're gone. It just isn't worth the money or the QoL issues. At least Rob got out before he got hit with NYC's biggest fad....bedbugs. Grats on the new home Rob.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

rrmorton, have you been issued your minivan yet?

Wait--do you even have a driver's license?
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Kraken wrote:
Odin wrote:
When we go out to western Mass every year it takes me 4 or 5 days to let my guard down. Strangers who start conversations are usually after your money or your soul...but out in the sticks they're just guileless.
After a few years living in Brooklyn, we went camping in the woods ... and I still put The Club on my steering wheel. Some habits are hard to break.
Eightball

Post by Eightball »

rrmorton wrote: Well, things are made a whole lot more complicated by my dumb wheat allergy/gluten-free diet which means pizza is out, along with delis, pasta, bakeries, Subway, etc, etc. Even Chinese is iffy due to the soy sauce/MSG in everything. It makes finding menu ideas for the whole family a lot harder. I don't mind fending for myself but Gwen wants to do more family meals. We just have to finish settling in and find a new groove.
Celiac? When Josh was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, we did blood tests on the other 2 comorbid conditions that came with early diagnosis of diabetes; hashimoto's (autothyroditis), and...celiac. While diabetes is difficult, we were totally stressed he'd also have celiac, which necessitates a total lifestyle change for everyone. And it'd be really tough on a 4 year old, because all the foods they eat have gluten; pizza, chicken nuggets, bread, etc. What the fuck else can you feed a 4 year old?

He tested positive for the marker, so for a few months, we really freaked. Then they biopsied his colon, and nothing. So happy to hear all we had to do is take care of the diabetes (you know, only 4-6 fingersticks a day, plus insulin injections for meals and bedtime).

So...longwinded way of saying...good lord, Rob. Sorry to hear it. Gluten is freaking everywhere.
Stupid & lazy
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

rrmorton wrote: Now we're gearing up for our first family trip to Target. WTF is happening to me?!

Family of Five Found Alive in Suburbs
BUFFALO GROVE, IL—The Holsapple family, long feared missing or spiritually dead, was found alive in the Chicago suburbs Monday, somehow managing to survive in the hostile environment for more than eight years.

Rescuers discovered the five-person clan after a survey plane spotted a crude signal fire the family had created in a barbecue grill.

"Imagine my surprise when, smack-dab in the middle of nowhere, I saw these flames," pilot Tony Riggs said. "I did a second pass and was shocked to see actual human beings down there. I remember thinking to myself, 'My God, who could live in a place like that?' It's incredible to imagine they survived there for so long."

Bill Holsapple, 41, wife Meredith, 39, and son Jay disappeared in June 1993, when, two months after Jay's birth, the family of three left their Chicago apartment for parts unknown. The three were not heard from again until Monday, when they were found in the suburban wasteland known as Buffalo Grove with two new family members, Kimberly, 4, and Jordan, 2.

Upon arriving in Buffalo Grove in 1993, the Holsapples befriended the locals, called "suburbanites," and soon adopted their ways entirely, from the mode of dress to the food they eat. Meredith Holsapple described in great detail the suburban settlements called "sub-divisions" where great emphasis is placed on maintaining lawns, watching televised sports, birthing children, listening to Top 40 music, and collecting stuffed animals.

According to University of Illinois– Chicago anthropologist Dr. Arthur Cox, to survive such an emotionally, culturally, and spiritually barren place, the Holsapples were forced to "go native."

"Much like those stranded in remote islands, the Holsapple family looked to the indigenous population to learn techniques for adaptation and survival," Cox said. "Shocking as it is, one eventually becomes acclimated and then numbed to the theme restaurants, cinema multiplexes, and warehouse-sized grocery stores.
Black Lives Matter.
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

That is simultaneously hilarious and horribly depressing.

Eightball, I'm of two minds on the whole gluten-free diet:

1) It's actually really easy not to eat food that makes you sick.
2) It totally blows.

I've found a wide variety of delicious gluten-free rolls, brownies, muffins, granolas, cookies, baguettes, pizzas, beers, pastas, cereals, etc, etc, and lots of these items actually taste better than their gluten-full counterparts (brownies, I'm lookin at you!) but the problem is that these specialty items are hard to find and super expensive. And Shop-Rite and the A&P don't carry a lot of them. But you're right that it would be a giant pain to keep a picky eater like Amelia on that diet. Hopefully she and Kate will dodge this genetic bullet.

Fortunately I discovered Mrs. Green's Natural Market today, just 5 miles up the road past Chappaqua in Mt. Kisco. The store had all my favorite gluten-free brands (Udi's, Against the Grain, Pamela's) along with great selection and aisles wide enough to land a 747. It's fantastic. I went hog-wild. Finally, there's food in the cupboards! Oh, and as I was strapping Kate into the carseat, I heard a familiar, commanding (albeit hoarse-sounding :( ) voice nearby. I looked up and saw Michael Douglas and his driver getting in their car. Maybe I haven't fallen off the edge of the world after all.

When we got home, our neighbor from across the street brought her two young sons and a plate of cookies over to welcome us to the neighborhood. I laughed in her face and asked her when she became such a walking cliche then dumped her cookies in the dirt and gave her the finger. Bitch won't be bothering us again.

SHITTY NEWSFLASH FROM SUBURBIA!

I gave Amelia a bath this morning, drained the tub, then came downstairs and discovered a big puddle on the kitchen counter and floor. My first thought was rain but then I realized it must be coming from the tub, leaking through the walls and down the kitchen cabinets. I called a plumber. I am attempting to remain calm.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It could also be an ice-ghost.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

rrmorton wrote:SHITTY NEWSFLASH FROM SUBURBIA!

I gave Amelia a bath this morning, drained the tub, then came downstairs and discovered a big puddle on the kitchen counter and floor. My first thought was rain but then I realized it must be coming from the tub, leaking through the walls and down the kitchen cabinets. I called a plumber. I am attempting to remain calm.
Put it in perspective: If this happened in an apartment in the city, the leak would be coming from the unit above you, and you would have to deal with your crazy upstairs neighbor to get it fixed. :)
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

AWS260 wrote:

Put it in perspective: If this happened in an apartment in the city, the leak would be coming from the unit above you, and you would have to deal with your crazy upstairs neighbor to get it fixed. :)
Of course, you'd also have a super to fix it, and it wouldn't cost you anything. ;)

Make yourself feel better by mowing the lawn with your hippie mower. :D
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Odin

Post by Odin »

Oh, uh, yeah. Somebody was supposed to tell you that as soon as you buy a house it begins to fall apart. And never stops. Geez, I hope it wasn't supposed to be my job. Sorry.

I've never had a toilet actually overflow the bowl in my life, even with one finicky toilet in our master bath. Never... until yesterday. My wife noticed water dripping from the window pane over our kitchen sink and I went upstairs to grab a step-ladder out of our bedroom closet. I stepped into the master bath and splash. The water was relatively clean so it wasn't so much disgusting as incredibly frustrating (as you can attest, I'm sure). I hauled the shop-vac out of the basement (oh yeah - as a homeowner you must have a shop-vac. Don't argue, just get one. Thank me later.) and sucked up all the water. Then I got a call from my wife downstairs - the light fixture over the sink was full of water. Ugh.

Called a plumber and told him he needed to do something different than the last several plumbers, because clearly ramming a 6' augur down into the toilet pipe isn't enough. The entire toilet is being replaced today.

Good luck with the tub in your new money pit. Er, I mean house.
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

The more I look at it, the more I think the plumbing is okay but the water that spilled into the safety drain on the round plate under the faucet is what ended up leaking into the kitchen. I ran a test bath without letting any water get in that part of the drain and the kitchen stayed dry. We can live with that, but I might call a plumber anyway just to see if there's anything we can do. The girls like to slosh around in the bath and I don't want to stress about it every time they're in there. Maybe we could just cover it somehow.

I've also done a bit of research at the Pleasantville town hall and discovered a news article dating back to 1936 when an itinerant eskimo blubber merchant named Pantuk was drowned in the upstairs tub by a scorned lover and vowed eternal frozen revenge from beyond the grave so I guess Smoove may be on to something.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

rrmorton wrote: Maybe we could just cover it somehow.
Do not cover the overflow drain. If it is causing the leak, replace it and/or the overflow tube or hire someone to do it.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

rrmorton wrote: I've also done a bit of research at the Pleasantville town hall and discovered a news article dating back to 1936 when an itinerant eskimo blubber merchant named Pantuk was drowned in the upstairs tub by a scorned lover and vowed eternal frozen revenge from beyond the grave so I guess Smoove may be on to something.
Didn't you do your homework when you were shopping for the house?

Black Lives Matter.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

rrmorton wrote:
When we got home, our neighbor from across the street brought her two young sons and a plate of cookies over to welcome us to the neighborhood. I laughed in her face and asked her when she became such a walking cliche then dumped her cookies in the dirt and gave her the finger. Bitch won't be bothering us again.
LOL, when initially moved from NYC we were renting in a fairly urbanish part of suburbia as a sort of "transition" from NYC. Neighbors were friendly but didn't socialize too much. When we bought our house, it was in a neighborhood with lots of kids, folks walking around and talking to their neighbors, etc and we got lots of food (yum,yum) and good wishes.

Flash forward to now, we are still enjoying all our neighbors. Our nanny and daughter also witnessed the takedown of a 14 yr old that was breaking into the house next door that a friend of his lives in who also is "allegedly" involved with him in a bunch of mailbox robberies. Also we are good friends with one of our neighbors who is a police officer who then proceeded to point out various houses in the neighborhood with folks who have had some, um, issues with the law. At that point I just had to laugh.

Long story short, get to know your neighbors well and gather lots of intel. There's alot of things lurking underneath the placid waters of surburbia. :ninja:

Oh, and second the suggestion of a shop vac. And get a augur/snake. There's one specific for toilets that won't scuff up the porcelain. And how's your tool collection? Enjoy!
Last edited by $iljanus on Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Jag

Post by Jag »

We had the same issue when we moved from NYC. Our doorbell rang in the evening of the 2nd day and my wife and I froze wondering who the hell could be at our door after dark. We peered through the window and saw two smiling faces holding a welcome basket.

(of course they could have been hiding a handgun in the basket!)
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

This just in: 8.4 Million New Yorkers Suddenly Realize New York City A Horrible Place To Live. (Courtesy of my East Village-living brother.)
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Odin

Post by Odin »

Freezer-TPF- wrote:This just in: 8.4 Million New Yorkers Suddenly Realize New York City A Horrible Place To Live. (Courtesy of my East Village-living brother.)
OMG that's freaking hilarious! I don't think I've ever read an Onion article that danced closer to the edge of absolute truth than that one.
"I always had this perverted sense of pride because I was managing to scrape by here," said Brooklyn resident Andrew McQuade, who, after watching two subway rats gnawing on a third bloody rat carcass, finally determined that New York City was a giant sprawling cancer. "Well, fuck that. I don't need to pay $2,000 a month to share a doghouse-sized apartment with some random Craigslist dipshit to prove my worth. I want to live like a goddamn human being."

"You see this?" added McQuade, pointing at a real estate listing for a duplex in Hagerstown, MD. "Two bedrooms, two baths, a den—a fucking den—and a patio. Twelve hundred a month. That's total, not per person."