Buying a house in Pleasantville, NY!

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

rrmorton

Re: Buying a house in Pleasantville, NY!

Post by rrmorton »

:lol:

I can already feel that "how did I ever live there?" thing creeping up on me. I took a relaxing train ride into the city this morning to go to a meeting at NYU and then I transferred to the subway and there was this fat f*cking douchebag standing next to me with headphones on and his eyes closed and a smug grin on his face while he drummed his Vienna sausage fingers on the plastic light covering so goddamn loud I wanted to kick him in the lips. But then on my way home an elderly hispanic troubadour got on the 6 train and played his guitar vertically while leaning against the pole and sang the most heart-achingly beautiful ballad.

I definitely like this new lifestyle where I can visit for work or pleasure but I don't have to live there. It's gorgeous around here. And children are treated like royalty instead of pests. It's bizarre.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

rrmorton wrote:And children are treated like royalty instead of pests. It's bizarre.
That is weird. People need to get their priorities straight and remove the pests whenever they can.
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

ImLawBoy wrote:Speaking from personal experience, I would not buy anything until I sold my place. I ended up paying two mortgages for a year trying to sell my condo when I bought my house, and that was before the market completely imploded. Waaaaay too much stress.
Ken = Prophetic! We bought the house in mid-August and just now finally closed on our apartment last Monday. That was 4 months of waaaaay too much stress. But we got through it and now our budget can heave a giant sigh of relief.

Or can it?!...
Smoove_B wrote:Not only are you going to need cash on hand to deal with all your new yard work expenses, but if something goes wrong you need to be prepared to financially address it immediately.
You mean like if a toddler falls on to a pipe behind the toilet and cracks an old cast iron joint and water starts leaking behind the wall and you don't notice for 5 hours until you're on the phone with your Mom and you feel a drip on your arm and look up to discover your beautiful new home's living room ceiling looks like this?

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Youch. Plaster?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

Yep. At first I thought I could scrape and spackle and sand and re-paint it myself. But then the horror kept spreading and I started to think it would be advisable to find someone who knows what the hell they're doing to repair such a large patch. I'll watch them and try to learn a thing or two.
MHS

Post by MHS »

Home ownership is fun, huh? :)

I remember that within a month of buying our house, a pipe outside burst due to cold (we thought they'd already blown out the irrigation lines and closed them for the year.) Luckily, I happened to be working from home that day and noticed the low water pressure and went looking for it, otherwise it would have flooded the entire basement instead of just leaking into the basement window a bit. Always remember, it could have been worse. 5 hours isn't 5 days, at least.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

So you're sending Amelia a bill, right?
Black Lives Matter.