Can we start calling them MEO's now?

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Ridah

Can we start calling them MEO's now?

Post by Ridah »

I was sitting on the crapper, reading an issue of PC Gamer for the first time in a while, and I noticed for the World of Warcraft ads they label it a Massively Epic Online. That's it. I like the idea of cutting out some letters from the standard MMORPG, so can we start calling them MEO now? I know it looks goofy, like were trying to say meow, but that's alright because its gonna save us time :wink:
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

Well, it doesn't sound very "neutral" to me -- Epic is a sort of value judgment term -- so I'm not crazy about it.

It does flow better though. There's no way to verbalize the acronym MMORPG and it takes too long to spell out the letters. I've just settled on calling them "MMOs" (pronounced em-em-oes) for the time being.
Huw the Poo

Post by Huw the Poo »

bluefugue wrote:There's no way to verbalize the acronym MMORPG
I've always said "more-pig". :)
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

The film "Troy" was an epic, and it sucked. But, to call it anything but epic would be a misnomer.
I think this is a different story with WoW.
ohh and here is your rolly eyes you lost em. :roll:
-AttAdude
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Eduardo X wrote:The film "Troy" was an epic, and it sucked. But, to call it anything but epic would be a misnomer.
I think this is a different story with WoW.
Now see I enjoyed Troy. I wanted big battles, I got big battles.

When discussing gaming verbally I usually skip the MM and just say 'online rpg.' When typing it isn't all that difficult for me to type MMORPG. MEO makes me think I'm trying to say meow or make up some new head-of-the-company abbreviation. CEO, MEO, same thing.
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

Massively Executive Officer?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

bluefugue wrote:Massively Executive Officer?
Middle Earth Online :P
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Odin

Post by Odin »

Must Evade Obfuscation
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Sith Lord wrote:Must Evade Obfuscation
I think you mean "Embrace"
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Odin

Post by Odin »

coopasonic wrote:
Sith Lord wrote:Must Evade Obfuscation
I think you mean "Embrace"
Actually no. I think MEO is a lousy and confusing acronym and I'm seeking to avoid it :D

Sith
caesarbear

Post by caesarbear »

how about just MOG?
Orpheo

Post by Orpheo »

Half man, half dog. I'm my own best friend!
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

This would be funny if it was populate by a bunch of cats or furries.

Then we can call it Kitty's MEOw.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Here's my take

WoM

Waste of Money!

$60 for a game and then $15/month, + $20-$40 add-on packs?!?... at least the Add-On packs don't have an additional monthly fee associated with them.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Odin

Post by Odin »

The word you're looking for there is "scary" not "funny"
Programmer

Post by Programmer »

caesarbear wrote:how about just MOG?
That sounds good. Cute and short. It removes all the redundancy from MMORPG - sort of an Occam's Razor approach :)

The "Massive" part of MMORPG is pretty arbitrary and meaningless, so that can go (I'm assuming here that the suggestion stands for "Multiplayer Online Game" of course and not "Massive Online Game"!). And the term "RPG" is so ill-defined (comparing hardcore gamers, casual gamers, and non-gamers) that I think it should go too. Most people I know associate "RPG" with D&D.

MOG still sounds a bit funny when spoken aloud, though - it looks better in print. I think that "online game", while a bit broad and not an acronym, is ungeeky enough to catch on with normal folks and does at least distinguish between traditional standalone PC games and network-enabled stuff.
Ridah

Post by Ridah »

Ok so we've at least established that we don't have to call them MMORPG's any longer right? I really think we shouls try MEO on for size, just imagine saying Neo (from Matrix)... not so bad eh?
Dhruin

Post by Dhruin »

Actually, I think the "Massively" serves some purpose. NWN persistent worlds are online RPGs that aren't "massive", so it serves to draw a line between merely an online game (even the likes of Battlefield 1942) and one that has a persistent world for thiusands of simultaneous players.
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

Programmer wrote:
caesarbear wrote:how about just MOG?
That sounds good. Cute and short. It removes all the redundancy from MMORPG - sort of an Occam's Razor approach :)

The "Massive" part of MMORPG is pretty arbitrary and meaningless, so that can go (I'm assuming here that the suggestion stands for "Multiplayer Online Game" of course and not "Massive Online Game"!). And the term "RPG" is so ill-defined (comparing hardcore gamers, casual gamers, and non-gamers) that I think it should go too. Most people I know associate "RPG" with D&D.

MOG still sounds a bit funny when spoken aloud, though - it looks better in print. I think that "online game", while a bit broad and not an acronym, is ungeeky enough to catch on with normal folks and does at least distinguish between traditional standalone PC games and network-enabled stuff.
Nice avatar!

But isn't "multiplayer online game" still redundant? I mean, the general point of having an online game is to be multiplayer. Unless we're talking about Steam. :?

"Massively" I suppose is meant to distinguish a multiplayer game with a population of thousands, from say UT2k4 with a 16-person Onslaught map. I think it is meaningful.

How about Persistent World Online Game. PWOG!! :P
Odin

Post by Odin »

I'd suggest Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game - MMORPG - but I can't imagine it would ever catch on.
caesarbear

Post by caesarbear »

I'd say "online" precludes the need for "multiplayer". There should be a distinction from MMMORPGs and the likes of UT/BF/LFS/Blockland. The RP in RPG seems to be often left behind, plus something like Enigma or WWII on-line doesn't fit the RPG category but is still in the MMORPG category. So if it's "massive", fine. "Epic" doesn't seem to add anything if you have "massive". "Game" is almost a shoe-in, but sometimes "chat-room" might be a better descriptor. So perhaps "world" to emphasize that "massive" or "epic" part instead of "game".
That makes:
MOW
or maybe
EMG
or yet
OEW
Odin

Post by Odin »

caesarbear wrote: That makes:
MOW
YEEES! Then I could say to my wife when she asks what I plan to do with myself on some Saturday afternoon, "Well, I've got some mow'ing to do."

Brilliant!
Programmer

Post by Programmer »

Hmm, some good points being made. I suggested that the word "massively" could go, but it is useful to distinguish large communities from small events, and I suggested that "multiplayer" should stay, when it's really already implied. :oops: I bow to the greater wisdom.

I'm not sure there is a single good acronym for all the types of online games on the market and in development.

I'd like to get to the essence, the nucleus, perhaps even the molten lava core of the issue I have with the term "MMORPG". It's the word "game". Many people see games, especially video games, as nerdy and frivolous pastimes steeped in the era of early Atari and Nintendo. But they're more than that to me, damn it - they're beautiful virtual worlds and fantastic alternate realities, technological and artistic marvels which I, living on the cusp of the 21st century, am honored to be a part of. I see people scrunch up their faces in simultaneous disgust and pity when I tell them I'm staying in on a Saturday night to play "video games". I say they're missing out on some of the finest experiences in the history of life on this planet. 8)

Plus, MMORPG is long, klunky, and hard to say.
Kyosho

Post by Kyosho »

bluefugue wrote:How about Persistent World Online Game. PWOG!! :P
Or just POG. Or POW, but that would confuse people. Prisoner of War, or people might think I'm Batman...POW! THWAP! Etc.
Odin

Post by Odin »

Programmer wrote:I'd like to get to the essence, the nucleus, perhaps even the molten lava core of the issue I have with the term "MMORPG". It's the word "game". Many people see games, especially video games, as nerdy and frivolous pastimes steeped in the era of early Atari and Nintendo. But they're more than that to me, damn it - they're beautiful virtual worlds and fantastic alternate realities, technological and artistic marvels which I, living on the cusp of the 21st century, am honored to be a part of. I see people scrunch up their faces in simultaneous disgust and pity when I tell them I'm staying in on a Saturday night to play "video games". I say they're missing out on some of the finest experiences in the history of life on this planet. 8)
No name is going to change that. Only time can. Video games and computers in general were for serious nerds in the 70's and 80's. By the 90's, computers were in every household, and things like IM started to be popular with everybody. So the barrier between "normal/cool" people and technology has begun to drop. Add to that games like The Sims and mainstream popularity grows further. NOW, factor in the number of little kids you know who play computer games - Dora the Explorer or whatever - it's most of them, right? They'll be favorably disposed toward computer games as they grow up - it'll just be part of life for them.

The generation that reviled and ridiculed video games and those who play them is dying out. We're on the cusp of not just popularity and acceptance for video games, but of a culture that assumes video games will be a part of their life. On their computer, on their TV, on their cell phones, on their Gameboys and probably before too long strapped directly to their faces :)

So when you're staying in to play WoW on a Saturday night and your friends give you a hard time, just smile and nod, knowing that when they're old and grey, sitting around the home wishing the grandkids would come visit, you'll be that cool old guy with the 274th level Arch-wizard that everybody wants to hang out with because he can make that awesome staff that nobody else has the reagents for. :D

Sith
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

I dunno, I think Atari videogames were pretty mainstream in the 80s. Mainly for kids though. Ditto Nintendo. Both of those brands had massive market penetration but focused on a younger demographic.

And don't forget the arcades, Pac Man Fever, etc.
Odin

Post by Odin »

bluefugue wrote:I dunno, I think Atari videogames were pretty mainstream in the 80s. Mainly for kids though. Ditto Nintendo. Both of those brands had massive market penetration but focused on a younger demographic.

And don't forget the arcades, Pac Man Fever, etc.
Oh, I'm not forgetting them, but they never seemed really pervasive to me. I mean, it was just another toy to most people. Sure it was a popular toy, but just because pet rocks were popular once didn't turn many people into geologists. I think the difference now is the ubiquity of computer technology. Like I said, games are everywhere - even cell phones and such. College kids sporting laptops have games all over them. I just think they're going to be more a part of life for the current generation (Gen Y, I think they're calling it) than they ever have been in the past.

Sith
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

True, it was more faddish back in the day, for adults anyway.
Programmer

Post by Programmer »

Sith Lord wrote:
Programmer wrote:I'd like to get to the essence, the nucleus, perhaps even the molten lava core of the issue I have with the term "MMORPG". It's the word "game". Many people see games, especially video games, as nerdy and frivolous pastimes steeped in the era of early Atari and Nintendo. But they're more than that to me, damn it - they're beautiful virtual worlds and fantastic alternate realities, technological and artistic marvels which I, living on the cusp of the 21st century, am honored to be a part of. I see people scrunch up their faces in simultaneous disgust and pity when I tell them I'm staying in on a Saturday night to play "video games". I say they're missing out on some of the finest experiences in the history of life on this planet. 8)
No name is going to change that. Only time can.
<SNIP>
So when you're staying in to play WoW on a Saturday night and your friends give you a hard time, just smile and nod, knowing that when they're old and grey, sitting around the home wishing the grandkids would come visit, you'll be that cool old guy with the 274th level Arch-wizard that everybody wants to hang out with because he can make that awesome staff that nobody else has the reagents for. :D

Sith
That cool old grandpa is gonna be me for sure 8)

It just seems to me that the term "game" is now an anachronism. It implies an activity involving a set of rules to be followed until a winner is declared. Early video games were very much in this mold, but the reason I play games today is much less about rules and winning and much more about an immersive alternate reality, and it's been that way since I first stepped in to the world of Ultima IV. Now 20 years later, Half-Life 2 continues to draw me in like only the very best books and movies can, and I think it's just as big an artistic achievement.

But the word "game" will probably live on for many years despite my ranting, and like you say, over time it will morph in to a word with much more gravity and mainstream appeal. Alternatives like "interactive entertainment", "virtual worlds", and "alternate realities" are all more descriptive to me, but they sound a bit new-agey and perhaps even more nerdy.

Anyways, as technology and video gaming become ever more ubiquitous, the geeks shall quickly inherit the earth and the whole issue just fades away. What issue? you may be asking yourself by now. Hmmm... I've sorta lost track too. I'll stop babbling :D
Odin

Post by Odin »

You're definitely hung up on the name, yeah. And maybe it will change at some point, but I doubt it. At most certain types of entertainment that don't exist yet might get a name so new and different and popular that people adopt it, rather than just using the term game for it even if it seems similar to what we'd consider a game today. If so, it would more likely come from the name of the DEVICE used to provide it than from the nature of the entertainment itself. If, for instance, you need to connect a crystal to a jack in your neck, which then lets you enter a virtual world, people might just start saying "I'm going to jack in for a little while. Message me if you want me" - and it would be assumed that WHILE you were jacked in, you'd be playing a game or something similar. It might even lead to conversations like "Where will you be? Well, I definitely want to check out the 1967 world series, but after that I'll probably be in the Arcade." I've lost track of where I was going with this. Stupid phone.

Sith
Programmer

Post by Programmer »

Sith Lord wrote:You're definitely hung up on the name, yeah.
<SNIP>

Sith
I know, it's just that lately I've noticed how people react when I tell them that I play video games in my spare time, and I don't get looks of admiration or even passing interest from most of them. If only they knew the truth, the beauty, the sheer unadulterated...

Ah, screw 'em. That's why I hang out here :D
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

Yeah, where else could someone instantly identify that your avatar is from Ultima IV and shows you standing by Britanny Bay with the towne of Britain to the southwest, and the Castle of Lord British to the southeast...
Odin

Post by Odin »

Programmer wrote:
Sith Lord wrote:You're definitely hung up on the name, yeah.
I know, it's just that lately I've noticed how people react when I tell them that I play video games in my spare time,
You know the old joke where the guy tells the doctor "it hurts when I do this"?

:mrgreen:
Programmer

Post by Programmer »

bluefugue wrote:Yeah, where else could someone instantly identify that your avatar is from Ultima IV and shows you standing by Britanny Bay with the towne of Britain to the southwest, and the Castle of Lord British to the southeast...
Well-remembered, but that one was too easy! Nice use of "towne" too - a lesser gamer would have called it a "town" I'm sure :wink: I'm gonna dig up a more obscure Ultima screenshot and create a new, slighty more puzzling avatar.

The funny thing is, that tiny avatar image contains only slightly less detail than the full-screen game on my Apple II.

Thoroughly off-topic now, sorry to the thread starter!
Odin

Post by Odin »

Programmer wrote: Thoroughly off-topic now, sorry to the thread starter!
Bah, he hasn't been in here in 23 hours. He's lost all control of this thread. Go wild!
Programmer

Post by Programmer »

Sith Lord wrote:
Programmer wrote: Thoroughly off-topic now, sorry to the thread starter!
Bah, he hasn't been in here in 23 hours. He's lost all control of this thread. Go wild!
OK. Maybe not "wild" per se, but here goes:

How do I save my little avatar image in .jpg format without the colors washing out. My original bitmap has bright blue water and lush green grass, while the .jpg'd version has lost all its lustre. I tried enhancing the colors before converting, but they're already almost saturated. Are jpgs just teh suck? For the love of all that is good and holy, what can I do?

Here's the source image in case anyone is obscenely bored and wants to try it for themselves:
http://yach.tri6.net/ultima/pic/ultima4.gif

Ha ha, that'll teach Ridah to leave a thread unattended.
Odin

Post by Odin »

Well, I'm no expert, but jpeg is a lossey file format - it will sacrifice image quality in favor of compression and such. But if you use a good image editor (which I don't have, or I'd give it a shot) you should be able to strike a balance between the size of the file and the quality of the image.

Sith
Ridah

Post by Ridah »

j00 guys fucked my my theadx0r AHHHH! Die you heathen spawns of SATAAAAAAN! :twisted: :D

I've been checking it out, I don't mind you guys working your stuff out in my thread.