Books Read 2010

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Wargus

Re: Books Read 2010

Post by Wargus »

Is it me or do the Erikson books get wordier as you get farther into them? They are still good, but its like the editor isn't pulling out the extraneous junk anymore. It was really noticeable in Toll the Hounds.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Just finished Zoe's Tale " target="_blank

It's an interesting tale... written from the viewpoint of a teenage girl, and was set in the same universe as his other books. I think I read a few of them, but this book apparently parallels another book called "The Last Colony". It's about sacrifices, consequences, responsibilities, and so on. It's sci-fi, but not quite sci-fi, as it is all about people and relationships. There's a few bits of sci-fi in there, but it's more of a background.

Overall, this book is... interesting, and rates a 7.5 out of 10 on my scale. I normally prefer a bit more combat, but this one is intriguing.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky:

The Omnivore's Dilemma is a very compelling diary chronicling the origin of 4 very different meals. Pollan does as much investigative journalism as possible, but is routinely stymied by large agri-corps who have a vested interest in secrecy. In the mean time, he gives us pause to consider where our food comes from, often with details we'd rather not know. The climax of the book, however, where he prepares and serves a gourmet meal consisting of items he pretty much hunted or gathered, was almost poetic and left me wanting to enjoy such an experience at least once.

Polland starts with an explanation of how we have become a corn economy. I am no economic guru, but to me, the details seem awfully messed up. Corn, is ubiquitous, present in more processed foods than we can possibly name. Yet it is impossible to be grown profitably. On top of that, as corn prices fall, the only way corn farmers can make ends meet is to increase their yield. Which results in an even greater surplus of crops we cannot use.

So that leads to government policy encouraging the use of corn to make inferior products otherwise. One of those products is corn-fed cattle. Grass-fed is more natural, and healthier.

Next up is the organic farming industry. Pretty much a two-horse race, it is still not the paradigm of virtue that Whole Foods would lead us to believe. Still, Polland finds this to be marginally better than the cheap-food output of the commercial corn industry. One of the themes in the book is that you get what you pay for, and the costs of cheap food are hidden in the form of additional taxes to fund government subsidies. The closer you get to the source of the food, the prices might increase marginally, but ancillary costs are not insidiously hiding in the background.

Next he moves local agribusiness, actually killing chickens by hand that are eaten locally for dinner that night. Better than the previous two options, it is still not a sustainable lifestyle. Community buying clubs contract with local providers, but it a throwback to old days where only seasonal items are really available. Not everything that is needed is available seasonably and locally, however, so some compromise is necessary.

The last portion dealt with hunting and gathering. This involved boar hunting in California, as well as gathering wild 'shrooms and even cherries harvested from a neighbor's tree that was overhanging into his sister's yard. The most impractical of meals, it nevertheless was the most spiritual. I've done this myself partially when I once prepared a meal for 20 based on salmon I caught fishing, but I did not pay so much heed to the side dishes and appetizers. While I still doubt I would go so far as to gather mushrooms myself for such a meal, I think the next time I do so, I will endeavor to use locally-produced items.

I already have a healthy disregard for processed food, and Polland reinforced my concerns. I hope the day comes where economic consideration isn't a factor and I can make better decisions regarding the origin of my food. Finding out that it takes, say, 15 calories worth of energy to deliver 1 calorie of food to my gut is an eye-opener to anyone who wants to be environmentally responsible. It would be nice if global agri-business was more efficient, and perhaps it will get there some day. It was beyond the scope of this book to suggest solutions to this dilemma, but it does a good job suggestion alternatives we might not be aware of.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

At First Sight by Stephen J. Cannell :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky:

Stephen J. Cannell is known for his screen plays and as a B-list actor. He also churns out a steady stream of novels, and when I came across one in the bargain bin at Barnes and Noble, I decided to give one a shot.

As you might expect, nothing too deep here to make you think too much. At First Sight is a quick read, a story about an aging, failing internet mogul named Chick who gets the hots for Paige, a passing girl in a Hawaiian resort. His fantasies are dealt a blow when he discovers this object of his desire is actually married, and he's a stud. Still, he manages to worm his way into their lives, and they part after vacation ostensibly friends. Chick and his hostile, trophy wife agree to try and sell Paige's artwork on their website, the prospects for a continuing friendship are established.

When Chick is compelled to supplicate himself to a Wall Street scavenger intent on giving him fractional value for his failing company, Chick inexplicably drives to Charlotte with no particular intent in mind...and that's when things really get out of control.

A few corpses and the obligatory terror encounter, and Chick finishes his first-person chronicle shortly before his walk down the "Green Mile." At First Sight is a fast-paced beach read, don't expect more and you'll be mildly entertained.
Black Lives Matter
lildrgn

Post by lildrgn »

Just finished Fever Dream by Child/Preston. Nice to see Agent Pendergast again after the debacle that was Cemetery Dance.

Next up: Legacies by F. Paul Wilson.
You complete me.
words
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Finished The 47th Samurai " target="_blank

Stephen Hunter wrote some good novels, one of which, Point of Impact, was turned into the movie "Shooter" starring Mark Wahlberg. This novel is regarding Bob Lee Swagger in his later years, and a bit of flashback to his father, Earl Swagger, and his fight in the Pacific. An inquiry about a sword, leads Bob Lee to a hunt for sentimental value, but when that war relic turned out to be far more valuable than anticipated, and whom he turned the item to in Japan had the entire family killed, Bob Lee must summon his strength, and learn the way of bushido, including the way of the sword, and and go up against a ruthless assassin who works for the Yakuza... and his minions...

Like the characterizations, obligations, duty, and honor. Really explores the Japanese psyche, at least in a fictional way, and even puts in a few digs about Western values and mischaracterizations. Bob Lee first ried to learn about Samurai by watching every Samurai movie he could get, and his Japanese allies needled him for it... a lot. His kendo teacher even had him fight a ten-year old girl, only later told him that this ten-year old girl is the national champ in kendo and can probably beat most "masters", while Swagger had only learned Kendo for a week. :D There's even digs against Last Samurai (the Tom Cruise movie), and more. You learn a lot more about Ronin, the 47, and more.

It's a fun read, if you enjoy revenge novels.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Re-read "Watch on the Rhine" by John Ringo and Tom Kratzman.

The book is set in the "Posleen War" universe, where Earth is being invaded by the space equivalent of Mongol Horde, called the Posleen. Fortunately, the Earthlings are getting some help from the friendly aliens, though some may not be so friendly... And some of the goodies includes "GalTech", which allows rejuvenation, turns someone freshly dead, or in their 90's, back into a youthful 20 year old...

The German chancellor, in order to save as many of its citizens as it can, and have tapped every pool of veterans, made the decision to tap the last reserve of veterans... the veterans of the SS... And some in the government are willing to do ANYTHING to prevent the SS from coming back... including sabotaging the war effort...
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

The Match by Mark Frost....

The book relates the story of, and background to a real event between the aging Ben Hogan and Byron Nelson with two young amateurs, Ken Venturi and Harvey Ward. The match took place and Cypress Point before the playing of the Crosby Clambake in the mid-fifties.

An easy read and a good book for anyone interested in some background on the players, the course and the times.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Scuzz wrote:The Match by Mark Frost....

The book relates the story of, and background to a real event between the aging Ben Hogan and Byron Nelson with two young amateurs, Ken Venturi and Harvey Ward. The match took place and Cypress Point before the playing of the Crosby Clambake in the mid-fifties.

An easy read and a good book for anyone interested in some background on the players, the course and the times.
Curiously enough - he's the author of The List of Seven, and one of the writers/creators for Twin Peaks. The List of Seven was a fun read.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Curiously enough - he's the author of The List of Seven, and one of the writers/creators for Twin Peaks. The List of Seven was a fun read.

Mark Frost has written three golf books (related but independent of each other) and has a book on the Red Sox- Cincy Reds World Series coming out any day.

I have read the "List of Seven"....a good read but hardly a classic. He has another out there about a spy ring I think as well.
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Finished "Storm from the Shadows" by David Weber

" target="_blank

This is another "Honorverse" novel, written from a different perspective where the renewed conflict between Republic of Haven and the Kingdom of Manticore has taken its toll, and there is a puppeteer in the background... Mesa, and a shadowy conspiracy known as the Mesan Alignment. Most of the events in the book had been told from other perspectives, and this one is mostly from the viewpoint of Captain Michelle "Mike" Henke, one of Honor Harrington's best friends, and a Winton (royal house of Manticore) with her own penchant of getting in trouble.

The problem with this book is it doesn't advance the plot much... except setting up the next novel, i.e. "Mission of Honor", where Honor Harrington is tapped to be the diplomatic envoy to Republic of Haven... while the shadowy forces advanced its own agenda... by launching a strike on Manticore itself!

The novel, as always are filled with political intrigue, puppet-master-like manipulation of circumstances, combined with space opera like war, sci-fi high-tech and some interesting characterizations. The not-so-good part is you practically need to have read all the previous books and novellas and short-stories anthologies to fully appreciate the details and nuances of the whole setup.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Scattered Suns by Kevin J. Anderson :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky:

Book 4 of the Saga of the Seven Suns. After a rough beginning, I'm now pretty much on board with the characters now. In this volume, the Elderians became embroiled in a civil war, the Hansa attacked the outlier Roamer clans after they essentially went on strike when it was found one of their ships was destroyed by a Hansa raider, and the war against the Hydroges has taken a turn for the better, partially because of a weapon of Roamer design that shatters the diamond war globes, and partly because the ancient enemies of the Hydroges, the water-based Wentles, have joined the human cause.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

You're Broke Because You Wabt To Be by Larry Winget :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky:

Self-styled "irritational speaker" and host of Big Spender, Larry Winget adds to his personal fortune with this book of practical common sense advice for those with money problems. Filled mostly with anecdotes about how he was able to overcome a bankruptcy to become rich and successful, Winget's advice is disappointingly generic. Mostly, it can be summed up as follows: make more money than you spend. He does get into behavior modification a bit, but mostly in a manner of identifying some common traits of those with money problems (and some pegged me pretty well), and attempting to embarrass the reader into doing something about it. The book itself is structured to be like a work book, with assignments to create a budget, a long-term plan, and a commitment to follow through.

This book is a good place to start. Winget is big on reading, though, and recommends a number of books throughout that should provide more precise suggestions, perhaps more applicable to a particular situation. For now, though I will try to follow Winget's suggestions and see where it leads.
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Just finishing up Brave New World.

It's not very fleshed out. It's not quite 300 pages, so it's fairly short. It's interesting to read some pre-computers science fiction. Everything is mechanical and conveyor belts. God has been replaced with Ford, which is sort of amusing at first but then seems strained.

No Genetics either. Bio-modification is done with chemicals. Alcohol plays a prominent role in embryo development (or lack there of).

Somewhat interesting clash between standard ("normal") societal values and a future free love society which does it's very best to keep people from thinking about anything besides their jobs.

Not a significant amount of racism (maybe none?) for a book written/published in 1932. One of the feelies has a black man as an overly emotional (i.e. bad) protagonist who wants 1 woman all to himself (a big no no) but not inherently racist.

So, some interesting sci fi aspects, but mostly a social commentary/discussion.

I think I'm going to go on a dystopia kick. I think I'll queue up 1984 and Fahrenheit 451. Any other suggestions? I'd prefer older dystopian stories but anything will do. The main story should revolve around the dystopia, rather than having the dystopia be a backdrop only. Well, at least a seriously developed dystopia.

There's probably a few other books I've read since I last posted. I'll figure them out and post them up as well.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

GreenGoo wrote:I think I'm going to go on a dystopia kick. I think I'll queue up 1984 and Fahrenheit 451. Any other suggestions? I'd prefer older dystopian stories but anything will do. The main story should revolve around the dystopia, rather than having the dystopia be a backdrop only. Well, at least a seriously developed dystopia.
Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale is one for the classics. Her more recent books Oryx and Crake and The Year of the Flood are pretty compelling, being extrapolated from current events of genetic engineering, rampant consumerism, and widespread environmental destruction.

I suppose Ender's Game is another must-read, as is Logan's Run. Get some Philip K. Dick in there... UBIK? Yevgeny Zamyatin's We is also critical to your reading list if you want to cover the history of dystopian fiction.

Harlan Ellison is still pretty much my favorite writer ever, and a lot of his work is dystopic in nature, but he's more of a short story guy. I can recommend a few things of his if you want, but I'll need to paw through my books at home.

Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go isn't very old, but made a fairly big splash when it came out. Like Atwood's work, it walks a line between genre and literary fiction.

I like Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games books very, very much. They're YA fiction, and the third book isn't out yet. The setting is well-developed and the plotting does revolve around it, but you get a lot more action than in the books mentioned above. Inspiration here comes from reality TV, but the concept is fleshed out much better than in any other treatment I've read.

To round out the modern titles, Richard K. Morgan's Market Forces takes a look at competitive corporate culture gone violent, with lots of fast cars.

That should keep you busy.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Just finished the Shadow books (enders shadow thru shadow of the giant). Enjoyed them immensely. And now I need to reread Ender in Exile so it'll make more sense. A decent collection of nine books between them.
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Next by Michael Crichton :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky:

Not my favorite Crichton book, Next is a story of genetic research gone awry. There is a bunch of story lines, some intersect, others do not. A drug addict huffs some gene-therapy spray stolen from his researcher brother and suddenly he is a paradigm of society. Their mother hounds the good son to get more of the therapy to give to friends. He gives in...then finds that after a short time, they grow prematurely old and, well, die. A orangutan is found in the wild that can swear in three languages. A parrot speaks French and English and can do math, and irritates everyone. A hybrid monkey is close enough to human to pass for a child and actually attends school. But then he shows a proclivity to bite. Hard. Ears come clean off. Meanwhile, lawyers are running amok, claiming people don't own the cells in their own bodies. Lots of little dramas, no real plot. Interesting, although rather alarmist.
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Jeff V wrote:Next by Michael Crichton :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky:

Not my favorite Crichton book, Next is a story of genetic research gone awry. There is a bunch of story lines, some intersect, others do not. A drug addict huffs some gene-therapy spray stolen from his researcher brother and suddenly he is a paradigm of society. Their mother hounds the good son to get more of the therapy to give to friends. He gives in...then finds that after a short time, they grow prematurely old and, well, die. A orangutan is found in the wild that can swear in three languages. A parrot speaks French and English and can do math, and irritates everyone. A hybrid monkey is close enough to human to pass for a child and actually attends school. But then he shows a proclivity to bite. Hard. Ears come clean off. Meanwhile, lawyers are running amok, claiming people don't own the cells in their own bodies. Lots of little dramas, no real plot. Interesting, although rather alarmist.
Michael Crichton is very good in coming up with "high concepts" that will sell books, but is not that good actually writing them. All of his books are like that. Jurassic Park is basically a lucky hit. :)
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Freaknomics " target="_blank

Very weird book, and in a way, it's sort of like that old show: Connections by James Burke... You'd never know some things are related, and what proves the correlations... And some of the questions asked, and answered are really weird. Some examples:

* Nature vs. nurture -- what does the data REALLY say?
* Are sumo wrestlers cheating?
* How do you catch cheating TEACHERS who want to improve their class test results through illegal means?
* Why do drug dealers live at home with momma?

and the biggest controversy

* Is legalized abortion the biggest factor in the dropping crime stats during 1990's?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kasey Chang wrote:Michael Crichton is very good in coming up with "high concepts" that will sell books, but is not that good actually writing them. All of his books are like that. Jurassic Park is basically a lucky hit. :)
He did a good job turning subjects that interest me into entertaining fiction for the most part (Pirate Latitudes was probably an exception, that book just wasn't good, there's a reason it was unknown to anyone when he died). It really is brain candy, but I think his ability to turn complex subjects into accessible page-turners showed an admiral degree of writing skill.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Of Fire and Night by Kevin J. Anderson :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky:

The best book of the series so far, a lot of story threads were tied up in the end. The epic battle ending the Hydroge War occurred at Earth, with independently-led forces of the Hansa, Elderans, Verdani, and Roamers defeat the combined assault of the Hydroge energy spheres and Hansa ships captured by the evil robots. Beleaguered King Peter finally decides it's him or Basil, the Hansa leader whose failure on all fronts leads him to focus on a personal vendetta that he can bully. After a failed assassination attempt on the Chairman, Peter and his pregnant queen flee earth in the midst of battle and wind up on Therok, her home and the base of the Verdani World Forest. Since the Hansa raped resources then pulled protection from all of their colonies in defense of the earth, Peter had little trouble putting together a new Human confederacy, including the disenfranchised colonies and the hunted Roamers.

It seemed most story lines were wrapping up when, at the very end, the Elderian renegade who unsuccessfully fomented rebellion last book made a return at the head of a contingent of Faros, fiery elemental creatures of uncertain loyalty who had been periodically appearing to destroy Hydroges. And then, Margaret, the archeologist who escaped as her husband was killed by the evil robots at the end of the first book and fled through a gate, suddenly appears through a gate on a newly colonized world. Then bugs start pouring out of the gate. Thousands of them! The Klickis race, thought extinct at the hands of the evil robots they created, are back. And they want their planets again. Without human infestations.
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Finished "Eye of the Storm" by John Ringo

" target="_blank

Eye of the Storm is a book about the continuation of the Posleen War... sort of. Instead of spoiling the story, I'll paraphrase from the backcover:
For Lieutenant General Michael O'Neal, there really isn't much left in the world except his beloved Armored Infantry Corp, and killing Posleen. His father and one daughter were gone, and his surviving daughter, raised by aliens, were a stranger to him. His wife already dead in battle long ago. In an instant what was left of his world was turned upside down. His beloved Corp was destroyed beneath the guns of the Earth Fleet, his staff shot before his eyes, himself arrested on the trumped up charges of war crimes... he faces a short, one-sided trial and a bullet to the back of the head while "trying to escape".

With a new invasion from a previously unknown race threatening the Federation capital, Darhel Tir Dol Ron, who was the force behind framing O'Neal, faces his ultimate nightmare: he is going to have to reinstate the one man human soldiers trust, a man with the power a knowledge to destroy the Darhel oligarchy forever... and instead, to convince him, against all logic, to save the Darhel...

Someone is going to die, and it is now up to Supreme Commander O'Neal to pick who... But he is not without help. Old soldiers never die (not with Galtech rejuv), and this bunch is not planning to fade away.
This book basically ends with a cliffhanger, as the humans decided to go on the attack, instead of performing a static defense. On the other hand, an old enemy may be resurfacing... Most of the book is like a reminiscing, as a LOT of old characters from his various Posleen books make reappearances here, plus a few new ones. The technology is updated, and subtly improved. And mentat combat... It'll be interesting.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Taroko Gorge by Jacob Ritari :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky:

22-year old Jacob Ritari pours experience from a Far East education into his debut novel, Taroko Gorge. Set in a Taiwan national park of the same name, an American journalist and his photographer have a brief encounter with a trio of Japanese school girls on a junior high class trip. Shortly afterward, the girls go missing -- and the Americans seem to be the last who saw them alive.

That is about it for the plot. A typhoon strikes the next day, hindering rescue efforts. Four of the school kids, along with their teacher, the Americans, and a pair of Thai cops stay behind hoping to recover the girls. Accusations fly -- shortly after the encounter, the photographer, more than a little drunk, disappears for about 15 minutes. Did he kill them? Or did schoolgirl jealousy lead to their demise?

The book switches between first-person view points of several of the characters -- the American journalist, three of the school kids, and the Thai investigator. Not everything Ritari tried worked. Channeling a teenage school girl is an exercise in shallowness. She is just not a complex character. Ritari also tries to impress us with his knowledge of the Japanese language. I now know a few more words and phrases, but in an already thin book, in retrospect this comes off as mere filler.

Taroko Gorge is the sort of book you can read in an afternoon on the beach. But it is unlikely to change your life as it did the characters of the book.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Dreadnought by Robert Massie.......

A rather extensive look at the navel build-up and arms race that preceeded WW1. The book takes an in-depth look at England and Germany and the reasons war between the countries became inevitable.

You learn as much as you could ever want to about the two countries navies while any kind of history of their land forces is, for the most part overlooked. As much as their was a arms race over the navies their must have been an equal arms race regarding the German Army and the opposing powers in Europe, but it is just lightly touched on.

I would recommend the book regardless of that one item however.

3 1/2 out of 5
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Novel "Slanted Jack" by Mark L. Van Name

A sci-fi novel with a twist... a hero "Jon" with a past, an AI ship "Lobo" as company, but this is not a regular hero... He's a mercenary, he has a conscience, and he keeps getting involved in bad situations when lots of people want him to do something

This time, it's his friend jack. from almost another life. He wants to hire Jon as a bodyguard... but it seems "Slanted Jack" is still slanted. Local mobster wants him (or money Jack owed). A religious fanatic want the boy that Jack (and Jon) is protecting. And the local interstellar government wants both the mobster AND the fanatic, and none of them will take no for an answer.

But Jon has some secrets... and with some help from a beautiful redhead, and his trusted companion Lobo, and of course, Slanted Jack... someone will get played... but who's con'ing who?

" target="_blank
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

How to Build a Dinosaur: Extinction Doesn't Have to Be Forever by Jack Horner :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky:

Jack Horner is my favorite paleontologist. Watching him on countless dinosaur documentaries, he established himself as a popular scientist; one of those rare individuals who has the kind of personality that entertains and educates at the same time. How To Build A Dinosaur is part memoir, and part what the title suggests. I guess I wanted to hear more about the latter, although the former is not uninteresting. The book is a little too short to do justice to both, however.

Horner suggests that with adequate funding (anyone have a spare million or 10 to sponsor this?), we could activate long-dormant dinosaur traits in the humble chicken. This includes chickens with usable claws instead of wings, and teeth. Such a critter would still be genetically a chicken, and if it mated with another, the result would be a source of McNuggets and Buffalo wings. However, the creature would still display the outward traits of a dinosaur, and if the life form is viable, some valuable research could be conducted. Jurassic Park this is not.

Horner believes such an experiment is possible, but also thinks he's a little too long in the tooth to be the one to do it. A younger scientist will pick up the mantel, but I think it would be cool if Jack is still around to write the account of it.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky:

Anthony Bourdain's debut book covers his life before his TV show, No Reservations. A memoir of sorts, it covers his rise in the often-seedy world of professional kitchens. The characters we meet through Bourdain aren't those most of would invite to dinner, but it seems we should forgive their many flaws and perhaps have them cook it. How a room full of drug-addled, foul-mouthed malcontents could orchestrate the symphony that is a busy kitchen to crank out high quality product is the main focus of the book.

Most of the revelations didn't surprise me much, but Bourdain tells interesting stories. One thing I wasn't aware of is the amount of raiding going on -- hiring away people from other restaurants to staff a new (or take-over) establishment. Bourdain doesn't really give much detail on how many left him (voluntarily) under such auspices.

Bourdain does scatter in some advice for the restaurant-goer (don't eat fish on Mondays) or the home chef who wants to improve (#1, fresh ingredients, #2, a good knife). I think he probably could have elaborated on that more..but maybe he felt he already stepped on enough toes. The book ends with Bourdain taking a job in Tokyo, but before his name-sake TV show appeared. He was perhaps a little jealous when he scoffed at the TV star chefs, I wonder what is take is on them now that he is also a personality? As far as personalities go, though, Anthony Bourdain is quite the character and I think I will make a greater effort to keep up with his show.
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

The Complete Hammer's Slammers by David Drake (volume 1 and 2)

" target="_blank
" target="_blank

I have most of the individual Hammer's Slammers novels, but this is the first "full collection" I got. I don't quite like the way Baen keep repackaging the same stuff (this is not the first time they repub'ed the Hammer's Slammer stories, usually by adding another previously unpublished story... but these are trade paperbacks, and got the big typeface, easier to read and all that.

For those who don't know... Hammer's Slammers is a mercenary unit roughly based on the US Armored Cavalry Regiment circa Vietnam War, albeit with upgraded hardware, such as fusion-powered hovercraft ("combat car" and "tank") and "powerguns", essentially energy-weapons firing via pre-packed "cartridges" and rocket howitzers. While the weapon is a bit more high-tech, the fighting is still very human. The military sci-fi is more about the horror of war, and how the individual soldiers deal with the situation. It is very different from his contemporaries, like Jerry Pournell's Janissaries, or Joe Haldeman's Forever War, and it became a full series.

Drake draws his inspiration from classical literature and his vietnam experience. I recognized one of the stories as a replant of the siege of Saigon during the Tet Offensive, while another was retelling the mercenary group that basically bottled up a stadium and killed basically everybody inside (even Jerry Pournelle had his version of the same story). On the other hand, the story is self-contained. it's just that if you *do* read the classics you'll get more out of them.

If you have not read Hammer's Slammers before, they are fun reads. Even if you had read them, this is a good chance to get them all in one place. Just keep in mind that there are subsequent novels that are set in the same universe, that are NOT included in this collection.

On the reading list:

Act of Treason by Vince Flynn -- did a VP-elect arrange a hit on his own motorcade to kill his unfaithful wife, and got himself elected? Another chapter in the Mitch Rapp fiction series.

Skunkworks by Ben E. Rich -- the story of Lockheed Martin's Skunkworks, from the leader who actually built the stealth fighter from ground up, vastly under budget. Did you know that the stealth prototype program (the predecessor of F-117) cost merely $34 million? That's the entire R&D, plus 2 demonstrator airframes and whatnot. LM made so much money they actually GAVE BACK some money back to the USAF.

Foreign Babes in Beijing by Rachel DeWoskin -- she's just an American working for a company in Beijing... until she was recruited to be a Chinese soap opera star. True story.

Saving Fish from Drowning by Amy Tan -- Tell you the truth, I have no idea what this book is about. But she is a distant aunt of mine. :D Besides, it's only $3.00 for the hardcover version. :D
Last edited by Kasey Chang on Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I picked up a Kindle-version Sherlock Holmes omnibus for $0.99

So far, I have worked my way through:

A Study in Scarlet
The Sign of the Four
The Hound of the Baskervilles
The Valley of Fear

I am close to finishing the first collection of short stories and have all five anthologies available.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
lildrgn

Post by lildrgn »

I went to the library and saw a book called The Dragon Factory. It featured a character named Joe Ledger and had reviews of the first novel in the series shown. They were good reviews, but what intrigued me were the words "zombies" and "plausible." I found the first novel, Patient Zero, and read it. All I can say is:

AWESOME.

Jonathan Maberry has created a character in Joe Ledger that's part Jack Reacher (badass), part Repairman Jack (smart aleck), part Harry Bosch (doesn't always do the "right" thing) and part Mitch Rapp (high level military operative). I blew through Patient Zero over the course of a few days and I was totally entertained by it.

If you guys haven't read Patient Zero yet, do check it out.
You complete me.
words
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

I've recommended the Joe Ledger series a couple of times. They're pretty good.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

lildrgn wrote:If you guys haven't read Patient Zero yet, do check it out.
Added to the library queue. Thanks.
lildrgn

Post by lildrgn »

silverjon wrote:I've recommended the Joe Ledger series a couple of times. They're pretty good.
How many are there. I could google it, but I'm lazy.
You complete me.
words
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

Just those two so far. I think Dragon Factory only came out this year.
wot?

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Act of Treason by Vince Flynn

" target="_blank

Did a VP candidate order a "terrorist" attack on his own motorcade, to kill his unfaithful wife, and to resurrect his party's presidential campaign? Will Mitch Rapp find who's behind the whole thing? Will the guilty party get their comeuppance? Absolutely. And the ending is even a surprise of sorts... Acts of treason must be punished... by death. And yes, Mitch Rapp gets to kneecap someone this time.

I am reading these novels out of order, but they are pretty darn good yarns that it doesn't really matter. I am missing the first Mitch Rapp novel, the one where he had to rescue the White House from terrorists, but I have the rest, and they are fun. Mitch Rapp is a guy who's so lone wolf, politicians hate him, but people who knows what needs to be done love him. Don't expect a lot of characterization, just a lot of ass-kicking, and a lot of political intrigue and byplays.
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

I just read an article Terry Brooks wrote about The Lord of the Rings. Thr first half is set for this part:
His themes are dark and darkly prophetic, yet he offers hope through the actions of his characters. Even the most grim moments are shot through with dollops of quixotic humanity, of lightness born of song and poetry, of small acts of kindness and gestures of charity. His heroes face terrible dangers and suffer dreadful losses, but they go on with a resilience that is inspiring.

In describing their unshakable determination, Tolkien tells us something important about ourselves. He tells us that he believes even ordinary men and women can prevail in the face of inconceivable power. We don't have to be gods and goddesses, immortals and kings, or creatures out of myth and legend in order to stand up against monstrous evil and terrible danger. Nor is it a foregone conclusion that we must sacrifice our lives in order to gain redemption or learn humility, as the heroes of Troy and Camelot were required to do.

For centuries, this was the lesson of mythic storytelling. But Tolkien tells us that perhaps we can come to terms with who and what we are, with our fears and doubts, with our failures and inadequacies, and with our humanity simply by staying the course. Heroism isn't solely a characteristic of warriors. Death isn't the only option for the besieged. Hope isn't the final refuge of the doomed.

Tolkien gave us this worldview when he wrote The Lord of the Rings. It was a seminal moment in fantasy writing.

There is magic at work in his storytelling that transcends everything previously written in the realm of epic fantasy. It infuses his complex plot and defines his dozens of memorable characters. It covers such vast amounts of ground that in the end we feel that we have traveled far from home, even though we have never left our reading chairs. We return footsore and weary, yet enlightened. We never feel disengaged or adrift from the story, never distanced from Frodo and his companions in such a way that we don't care deeply what happens to them. We never lose hope for them or for ourselves.

A good epic storyteller can make us feel like that. He can help us find truth in fable and myth. He can give us hope in a world that sometimes seems intent on crushing us. He can touch our hearts and make us believe in dreams.

J.R.R. Tolkien understood this. The uplifting power of The Lord of the Rings serves as testament. In an age of sprawling cities and giant corporations, individuals still count. In an age of machines and science, dreams still have magic. In an age of terrible evil, Everyman can still prevail.
That's probably the best 445 word summary of LotR I've ever read.
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

GreenGoo wrote:I think I'm going to go on a dystopia kick. I think I'll queue up 1984 and Fahrenheit 451. Any other suggestions? I'd prefer older dystopian stories but anything will do. The main story should revolve around the dystopia, rather than having the dystopia be a backdrop only. Well, at least a seriously developed dystopia.
You could try Shades of Grey: the Road to High Saffron by Jasper Fforde.

I'm used to Fforde's books being humorous and, knowing nothing about the book, I assumed it would be similar in tone to his other books. It took me a while to get into it, but once I figured out the "not meant to be humorous" thing, I enjoyed it quite a bit more.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Thanks Bad Demo.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky:

I don't typically like books where the "hero" is a child, but Ender's Game handles it pretty well. Andrew Wiggins (aka Ender because while an infant, his sister could not pronounce Andrew) is tagged as a child prodigy from an early age. But he is a prodigy in the Art of War. Just 8 years old, he is recruited to a military school and is not to expect leave for another 8 years, so he is basically estranged from his family (which include two equally-brilliant siblings). Huimans are embroiled in a long war against the "buggers", insectiod-like humanoids which the humans have defeated twice in close-run wars. Ender succeeds at every level of training, always winning the games between groups of boys bigger and more experienced. Eventually, Ender is pulled out and assigned to command school, where he continues to excel in games against increasingly impossible odds. His teachers, ostensibly programming these simulations, become his enemy.

The final battle game is against impossible odds. Ender is pissed, but decides if the teachers are cheating giving such a scenario, then he is justified cheating during the play of the game. Again, Ender pulls out a victory. But instead of being aggravated at his methods, the teachers are ecstatic at the result. When is a game not a game?
Black Lives Matter
JonathanStrange

Post by JonathanStrange »

I remember I was in high school working at combination pool hall/arcade/community center where we used to get all sorts of people, in every age range and occupation - but mostly high school students - when this contentious and glaring fellow we called "the lawyer" - 'cause someone said he was a lawyer but now I suspect his wearing a suit and tie didn't necessarily prove anything - threw a few battered paperbacks on the counter-top in front of me.

Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game and Dan Simmons' Hyperion - two older science-fiction novels that drew me deeper into the world of the science-fiction than I'd ever intended.

"You might like these," he said.

I've often wondered if that "lawyer" was JeffV. :wink:
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of OctopusOverlords.com, the forum members of OctopusOverlords, the elusive Mr. Norrell, or JonathanStrange.

Books Read 2013