Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Malificent

Re: Random randomness

Post by Malificent »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:48 am I know it's becoming a broken record, but you can choose to change that. The 'great' can continue if you want it to. You just have to accept that it will be a different great.
So my wife and I have been watching the latest episodes of Queer Eye on Netflix and one of the episodes really seems to fit here (Season 6, Episode 5 - Craw-Zaddy). The Fab 5 comes in to help the 68-year old owner of a Crawfish restaurant in Texas who has basically been grieving his wife for the last 10 years and has stagnated - the restaurant is exactly as it was when she died, he's let himself go and no longer has a life outside the restaurant, etc. They help him get to a place where he can still remember her and honor her but start a new phase in his life. It'd be worth watching, I think.

I'm pretty sure your wife wouldn't want you to be suffering with her gone. If I were to die, I'd want my wife to find a new, different happiness for the rest of her life, whatever that meant.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

God yes. Starting with my cancer I've thought about that from time to time. The people I love need to be happy when I'm gone. The thought of someone I care about spending years miserable dwelling on me would be a nightmare for me. Grieve me, remember me, but once a year or two have passed, pack my stuff up (it's just stuff), sell or give away most of it, put most of the rest in a box, and just keep a few happy items out - then move on and find some new way to be happy!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think just the holidays hit hard. And the damn cold miserable weather. Stuck in one room of the house with the door closed is annoying.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Would be nice but wouldn't help as I cant afford to heat the house and the floors are sagging half a foot in some places so no way to seal those and they are getting worse. Im starting to worry now that the house wont outlast me. I walk up hill to the bedroom. If Im drunk I can really tell how bad stuff is lol.

Most likely Ill die when one of the large clothes dressers topple over on me on the way to the bathroom.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If you get the house weatherized, your heating costs will go down.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

My youngest has already claimed dibs on my D&D miniature collection. And that she wouldn’t sell them.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I have 28 mortgage payments left. We owe less on the house than on my wife's car. We could pay them both off today but at 2.625% and 0% respectively there's no real point.

My point? I don't really have one.

The end.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

0% on a car usually means a rebate cost was rolled into the payment so paying off early only nullifies part of your rebate.

At the the time they refused to negotiate re-financing for my underwater mortgage no matter what Obama and company insisted they were doing. I could never get under 5.5% with perfect credit even as they were giving first time buyers with no history 3.25%, so the point of paying off the mortgage was 1) to quell the rage and 2) the satisfaction of not having to make a payment. In retrospect, the discipline of investing over the long haul should have seen all that extra principle instead of paying my house down quickly but still, it feels good to be debt fee since 2014. I hadn't really known debt before home ownership so six figures of debt was very hard to accept.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:43 pm
Would be nice but wouldn't help as I cant afford to heat the house and the floors are sagging half a foot in some places so no way to seal those and they are getting worse. Im starting to worry now that the house wont outlast me. I walk up hill to the bedroom. If Im drunk I can really tell how bad stuff is lol.
i get that it's easier to tell oneself that 'everything is fine' while denying they're crushingly depressed... but my parents are another example. dad drinks himself to drunkeness every night in front of the TV. mom clicks endlessly on a solitaire game for hours at a time (she's already completed it long ago, just keeps mindlessly replaying it again and again and again...) neither of them want to do anything about their clearly unhappy lifestyle - and actually make arguments and excuses FOR continuing it. one lesson i have learned is to have a plan in mind for post-retirement life, or you just slip into an ever-spiraling stagnation, and your world just keeps shrinking while your mental faculties atrophy, and ANY change at all - even if vastly for the better - becomes a scary proposition.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Strangely I could afford to pay off my mortgage, but have no motivation to do so:

1) My monthly payments are well below local rental rates and only about 2/3 of my SS monthly pittance.

2) My equity is about double my remaining mortgage, but I need a place for my extended family to live and have no desire to relocate.

3) Due to proposition 13 my property tax is based on my 2008 bargain basement purchase price. The more you pay the more you keep paying.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Howcome the fatter I get, the more my pants sag in the back (not the front) and belts don't help? I'm probably less than an inch away from being in plumber pants territory an' my shirts won't stay tucked in an' I'm snappin' belt loops pulling my pants up in the back.

Weight loss thread, I'll be seeing you soon and It's probably time to revisit becoming suspender wearer, rather than a belt wearer.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:20 pm Howcome the fatter I get, the more my pants sag in the back (not the front) and belts don't help? I'm probably less than an inch away from being in plumber pants territory an' my shirts won't stay tucked in an' I'm snappin' belt loops pulling my pants up in the back.

Weight loss thread, I'll be seeing you soon and It's probably time to revisit becoming suspender wearer, rather than a belt wearer.
Alexa: How about a nice pair of suspenders?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

hahaha. With weight Im at a good weight now but my belly is a hoarder. It refuses to play nice and go away like the rest of me. I may need to file suit and eviction.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Cochineal is in every ingredients list I look at now that I know what it is. Why must I drink bugs?!

I mean I'm not against eating bugs in principle. I'm just bothered we aren't using a bugless colouring alternative by default. Though I get inertia and everything.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Maybe eat less red stuff.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Yes! Fewer beets!
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I liked El Arroyo's sign today:

Enlarge Image
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

ESPN
The New York Times Co. is buying sports news site The Athletic for $550 million, the latest move in its strategy to expand its audience of paying subscribers as the newspaper print ads business fades.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:45 pm ESPN
The New York Times Co. is buying sports news site The Athletic for $550 million, the latest move in its strategy to expand its audience of paying subscribers as the newspaper print ads business fades.
When I think of sports coverage, I definitely think of the New York Times.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Sweet! Got another $18.90 in the BoughtMilk settlement. Almost enough to buy a gallon of milk. :wink:
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Soylent green wasn't people in Harry Harrison's story. Soylent was soybeans + lentils.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

In the movie the main ingredient of Soylent Green is plankton.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:30 am Sweet! Got another $18.90 in the BoughtMilk settlement. Almost enough to buy a gallon of milk. :wink:
ditto

Now all the games sales are over of course.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Kraken wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:06 am Soylent green wasn't people in Harry Harrison's story. Soylent was soybeans + lentils.
http://octopusoverlords.com/forum/viewt ... 2#p1642852
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Well that was a hassle spending my $18.90. The problem is you have to make a purchase that is completely covered by the card they give you. You can't apply that to a larger purchase and then make up the difference with another card. I ended up buying some underwear that was $18.31 with tax and delivery. But it took way too long. I'm sure these asses make a killing on people who partially or never redeem.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Almost like it was designed that way.

There is the option to add funds to your Steam Wallet in custom amounts...
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

FTC (PDF)

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

hitbyambulance wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:40 pm
Kraken wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:06 am Soylent green wasn't people in Harry Harrison's story. Soylent was soybeans + lentils.
http://octopusoverlords.com/forum/viewt ... 2#p1642852
That is one deep BAM!
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

when a forum has existed long enough, there's a post for everything. one may have even written it themselves in the depths of history.
Holman

Post by Holman »

dbt1949 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:24 am In the movie the main ingredient of Soylent Green is plankton.
Until it isn't.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

hitbyambulance wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:53 pm when a forum has existed long enough, there's a post for everything. one may have even written it themselves in the depths of history.
I'm imagining us being artificial intelligences who themselves are eventually terminated by a newer, stronger A.I. as it systematically detects that each of our personalities truly has finally made every possible post and is therefore redundant.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Holman wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:21 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:53 pm
Yeah, but to get a high score you have to drum YYZ with the flippers.
The score should only go up to 2112.
Rumpy wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:49 pm
Daehawk wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:34 pm The meeting sounds interesting.

But Im one of those outliers that just doesn't like Rush.
Haha :P Oh.. wait, I don't either. :lol:
In my experience, the people who like Rush were the outliers.

We prefer it that way. :coffee:
Conform or be cast out!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I thought on it all day what to buy with my milk money but didn't think of a thing. If only there was a hot young Melanie Griffith to rent.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:54 pm I thought on it all day what to buy with my milk money but didn't think of a thing. If only there was a hot young Melanie Griffith to rent.
My guess is even an old Melanie Griffith will run you more than $18.90.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

This is a bizarre conversation.

Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:28 pm
LordMortis wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:20 pm Howcome the fatter I get, the more my pants sag in the back (not the front) and belts don't help? I'm probably less than an inch away from being in plumber pants territory an' my shirts won't stay tucked in an' I'm snappin' belt loops pulling my pants up in the back.

Alexa: How about a nice pair of suspenders?
I gave up and wear suspenders under everything now.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:02 am
Daehawk wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:54 pm I thought on it all day what to buy with my milk money but didn't think of a thing. If only there was a hot young Melanie Griffith to rent.
My guess is even an old Melanie Griffith will run you more than $18.90.
Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I saw the UK applied for a no fly zone over the palace. I wonder if the Queen is ill? She is very old and her consort died recently too. I dont recall seeing her over the holidays doing her speech stuff.