Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: Random randomness

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:31 am
Blackhawk wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:29 am I'd probably call that exotica/lounge/bachelor pad.
It is. A friend I’ve mentioned before back in Ohio has a podcast he does weekly that focuses on that genre primarily. He’s obsessed with it.

Also, I just noticed that the link I posted with the commercial earlier had the damn name of the song on that page. :oops:

Lesson learned: the Issiebot works off my own stupidity. :D
I take what I can get. :ninja:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Ordered a shade from Amazon to cover the garage window (the old owners taped a piece of paper over it which looks super sketchy and cheap).

Got a very large Amazon box delivered last Friday which was completely empty. Turns out Amazon's automated policies really don't know how to deal with you just not getting the item. It kept wanting to process a return asking me to send back the item that I never received.

:grund:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

One of my favorite songs

Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well Ive found out that I wont be out of debt this year after all and may not for years to come....which I cant live like this. Id rather be dead and wish I could die..weee. You'd think when you enter into a loan agreement for a set amount and repay at a set rate for the set timethat at the end of that time you'd be paid off. But that isn't the way they work it seems so after paying back nearly $80000 for $30000 worth of loan I seem to somehow still owe another $7000 or they may take my home from me. What fun. So all this means is I wont be able to get out of debt..Ill continue to have to throw away $100 each month to the credit card to keep it from defaulting and I cant repair my car and I cant have clean clothes because Iwont have a weasher and I can barely wet them by hand in the set with my health and strght and I wont have food at the end of each money because they lowered my food stamps and on and on and on. It would be simpler to die. I no longer care.

rant over
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:13 pm I no longer care.
You've got to change your outlook. You probably owe less than 80% of the average Joe's out there in the USA. You could probably scrounge enough to pay that off by standing on a busy corner with a sign that says
my mortgage company screwed me please help! My house and little dog are all I have!
Take a chair with you if you can't stand.

I had the other kind of Daehawk luck today with an online order. Amazon lost my original order. The replacement order they sent had 8 boxes of Shake & Bake BBQ Glaze instead of 4. Score! I'm assuming they intended it that way to make up for the month delay. I'm gonna be a chicken eatin' fool. :lol:

Enlarge Image
Last edited by em2nought on Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Israel: Essentially "The Alamo" 24/7, 365 since 1947
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive been having weird issues with orders and shipping of all types lately. I usually end up on the positive side in the end.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:12 pm Ive been having weird issues with orders and shipping of all types lately. I usually end up on the positive side in the end.
...and it was a really good price the first time, which is why I thought they didn't fill the order in the first place. :lol:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

lol
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

em2nought wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:10 pm I had the other kind of Daehawk luck today with an online order. Amazon lost my original order. The replacement order they sent had 8 boxes of Shake & Bake BBQ Glaze instead of 4. Score!
Just wait until tomorrow when the original box of 8 arrives.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Sometimes the world is hilarious.

Hundreds gather in NYC to watch a masked man eat a gigantic jar of cheese balls

The video is sending me.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I mean, I'm not the only one that feels they could also do that.... right?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Hell, dump some water in there and drink the slurry.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Can anyone account for hepcat's location yesterday at this time?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

He wasn't here 9a - 6p yesterday.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

This NYC dude really does need a Chicago rival.

:think:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I was having this great dream last night. I was in a pc software gaming store like old EB used to be. Just shelves of new and old big box pc games. I then found a section where some company had released these really cool foil covered boxes of updates to classic games. Games like Mechwarrior and Wing Commander and Freespace and such. They would update the old games to modern graphics and such and they were only $12 each. I had the Freespace one in my hand thinking it over and decided for some stupid reason that $12 was too much to update an old game Id played 5 or more times through already so I sat it back on the shelf and headed to the front to where my wife was waiting.

This is when my dream turned into a nightmare because she talked me into getting it and showed me the error of my ways. She was right! I wanted that upgrade so I went back to grab it. But it was GONE!! Shit. I checked all the shelf..gone. All I could get was Wing Commander or Mechwarrior. Dammit! I even had the clerk looking behind the counter for a copy of the Freespace one. I was horrified.

Luckily this is when my dream changed to puppies and I was ok lol then woke up.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Monsters in the Closet!!!

The little girl wasn't wrong!
Spoiler:
When three-year-old Saylor Class began complaining of monsters in her bedroom, her parents thought it was just a figment of a child's overactive imagination...

...She and her husband contacted a beekeeper who noticed the insects were travelling towards the floorboards of the attic - right above her daughter's bedroom.

The bees had spent eight months building the monster hive.

The beekeeper brought a thermal camera to scan the walls in the three-year-old's bedroom. ...

"It lit up like Christmas," Ms Massis Class said.

The beekeeper said he had never seen a hive go that far down into the wall.

He tracked it to a coin-sized hole in the corner of an attic vent.

The beekeeper - whom Massis Class's daughter began calling the monster hunter - opened the wall to reveal a large honeycomb.

"They just came pouring out like a horror movie," Ms Massis Class said.

The beekeeper has removed between 55,000 and 65,000 bees and 100lb (45kg) of honeycomb.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Lucky beekeeper.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Unagi wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:54 am I mean, I'm not the only one that feels they could also do that.... right?
They're mostly air. It wouldn't take a huge incentive for me to do that.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The smaller barrel is 1lb 7oz.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Speaking of bees in walls... Will 20 year old wasp killer work on yellow jackets? I just saw the early signs of nest building today. Should I just go out and buy new stuff and bee safe? The thing is a I have the stuff laying around and I hate to waste it and it makes it exceptionally easy to go outside this evening and spray inside the boards if I already have the spray in hand.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Why not try before you buy?

I have a wasp nest between the glass of my bathroom window. I saw her there days ago and knew she was going to make a nest. I hate wasps but I left her alone. She has a small nest started. Usually I open that window in the hot summer but Ill leave it all alone until her brood is raised and gone. I can make do and let a little creature live that wont bother me if I dont bother them.

But a wasp in my room I cant abide. Me or my dog getting stung and hurting is out of the question so in here they get killed .
Holman

Post by Holman »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:33 am Sometimes the world is hilarious.

Hundreds gather in NYC to watch a masked man eat a gigantic jar of cheese balls

The video is sending me.
Pah. Philly's Rotisserie Chicken Man would like a word.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:20 pm Speaking of bees in walls... Will 20 year old wasp killer work on yellow jackets? I just saw the early signs of nest building today. Should I just go out and buy new stuff and bee safe? The thing is a I have the stuff laying around and I hate to waste it and it makes it exceptionally easy to go outside this evening and spray inside the boards if I already have the spray in hand.
See what the active ingredient is in your spray. Unless it's some nasty stuff like DEET, there's no way it's still effective after 20 years.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

gilraen wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:32 pm
LordMortis wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:20 pm Speaking of bees in walls... Will 20 year old wasp killer work on yellow jackets? I just saw the early signs of nest building today. Should I just go out and buy new stuff and bee safe? The thing is a I have the stuff laying around and I hate to waste it and it makes it exceptionally easy to go outside this evening and spray inside the boards if I already have the spray in hand.
See what the active ingredient is in your spray. Unless it's some nasty stuff like DEET, there's no way it's still effective after 20 years.
DEET is a mighty effective insect repellent, but it's not an insecticide. You'll likely need to look for an active ingredient like pyrethroid deltamethrin, which is an effective insecticide against yellowjackets. But personally, I wouldn't chance incurring the wrath of a yellowjacket infestation by using a potentially ineffective and obsolete product.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

There is an ugly list that starts with "Tetramethrin 1-Cyclohehexene-1 2-dicarboximide methyl 2 2-dimethyl -3-2methylpropenyl cyclopropanecaboxylate." and then goes on. It means almost nothing to me though I tend to also believe it's no good, otherwise I wouldn't have asked.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

People more faceless than you on the Internet say unopened and properly stored, which it was, efficacy is probably three years but maybe as much as 10. so being manufactured in 2002, makes it right out, and I just had hazmat recycling day a couple of weeks ago. I'm not likely to make it to another recycling day this year.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Exodor wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:35 pm Ordered a shade from Amazon to cover the garage window (the old owners taped a piece of paper over it which looks super sketchy and cheap).

Got a very large Amazon box delivered last Friday which was completely empty. Turns out Amazon's automated policies really don't know how to deal with you just not getting the item. It kept wanting to process a return asking me to send back the item that I never received.

:grund:
Just find the live text chat customer service and explain the situation to a human. I had a similar situation with a missing item and the live chat person fixed things for me in a minute or two.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Today I learned that the Mastodon name has Greek origin, dubbed by Georges Cuvier as he was trying to puzzle out exactly what had been discovered. Specifically, he noted the teeth were large like an elephant, but they had bumps - they weren't flat. Apparently the bumps reminded him of breasts and so Mastodonte translates into "Breast Tooth". Here's his drawings:

Enlarge Image

My favorite part of learning biology was understanding how scientists just came up with reasonable names to describe the creature, but because they were in Latin (or some other language) they sounded fancy.

I'm beginning to understand why this wasn't covered in high school. Breast tooth. Genius!
Holman

Post by Holman »

One of the reasons Thomas Jefferson supported the Lewis & Clark expedition is that Jefferson (who, though a Deist, did not accept the idea that species could go extinct) expected that they would discover and perhaps even bring back Mammoths/Mastodons from the American West.

(It's lucky for Jefferson than dinosaurs were not yet understood.)

The place where I work has a lot of Mastodon bones and teeth, including the small number that came back with Lewis & Clark.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

wonderpug wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:07 pm Just find the live text chat customer service and explain the situation to a human. I had a similar situation with a missing item and the live chat person fixed things for me in a minute or two.
Yeah my wife wound up using the chat to kick off a resend. I still got a QR code in my email but they claim that's "in case the original arrives."
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I have two credit cards that I'd like to add to Google Wallet for GPay. I can put them both into the wallet and use them just fine but neither one wants to work with contactless pay! The first one says that it can't because that bank only allows Visa cards to do contactless pay (I have a MC). The other one gives a non-helpful error message when I try to activate it for contactless pay.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I am the olds when like the best treat I hanker for is non morning coffee... As opposed to it just being a normal all day all night attachment to my hand. Afternoon coffee... Soooo good. I'm living life on the edge I tells ya. Even better was night coffee just a bit ago, only it absolutely completely destroyed the restfulness of my sleep. Forget going on a bender in the evening. 24 oz of coffee after 2100 will wreck me. Quite unlike when I'd drink coffee until 0400 while reading and doing schoolwork and then be up by 0800 because I had work and/or class 7 days a week.

mmmm... coffee...
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

LordMortis wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 3:00 pm Even better was night coffee just a bit ago, only it absolutely completely destroyed the restfulness of my sleep.
My county instituted a system that monitors your property and sends you an alert if somebody quit claims your property, and I just got a text & email alert. I'm not going to sleep too good until I get to their office tomorrow. I guess I should just be happy I didn't get the message on Friday at 4PM as I'd have been waiting all weekend.

I'm hoping it's just a fubar fluke which I think is likely, but... :shock: :doh:
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Never heard of such a thing. Sounds like a good check. Though yeah, it would stress me out as well.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I was running the idea of seeing about getting a $10,000 loan from my bank. I was SO planning to pay the home off next month. Then spend 3 months paying off the CC bill then another for my well pump. That would have seen me clear of all debt. But now it seems I have another $7000 to go on my home loan. They are sending me forms to apply for help from them which the lady there said that means they would set up a NEW payment plan for that leftover $7000 at a new interest rate and possibly monthly payment amount.

Depending on the interest rate they approve and the monthly amount I may stick with that and just try to probably take a year or more to finish it off. This all means I wont get a washing machine for years or fix the car for years.

A $10,000 loan would allow me to instantly pay off my home at $7000, totally pay off the $2000 cc bill, and pay off the well pump of which I owe about $500 more. And it would be at a MUCH better interest than my CC at 32% or my home at 11.5%.

And with a loan I can have that better % and lower payments but of course a slightly longer time in years. But I could always pay more than the monthly payment to do it faster. And I could get a washer and my car repaired among MANY other things I need to replace or repair with my monthly income free money.

Im just not sure who or where Id secure of a good $10,000 loan. If I could pay all three bills off at once that would save me uncounted money due to high interest rates.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Daehawk wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:06 pm And it would be at a MUCH better interest than my CC at 32% or my home at 11.5%.
Yes, you should be able to get a loan at a much better interest rate since you have decent credit now.
Daehawk wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:06 pm Im just not sure who or where Id secure of a good $10,000 loan. If I could pay all three bills off at once that would save me uncounted money due to high interest rates.
So...your bank? Or any other major bank or credit union in the area, for that matter. Maybe your mortgage company is a good option and maybe it's not (I'm leaning with "not"), but you won't know until you ask around.

https://www.erate.com/tennessee/cleveland-home-equity-line-lenders
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And if you do, carefully place the credit card in an envelope, carefully seal said envelope, and then carefully deposit it down the well.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:33 pm And if you do, carefully place the credit card in an envelope, carefully seal said envelope, and then carefully deposit it down the well.
That would just lead to more pump issues.