2024 Fundraising - $456 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Fallout 3 Impressions

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

ydejin

Re: Fallout 3 Impressions

Post by ydejin »

Kyosho wrote: I haven't experienced it myself (because I've learned from previous games not to), but I'd swear I read multiple times on the official forums right after the game came out, that containers do indeed respawn in FO3. The ones in your house don't. And I think ones that were empty from the start, don't. But I could be wrong on that last one.
Yep, the manual specifically says not to leave things in containers you don't own.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Kyosho wrote:I haven't experienced it myself (because I've learned from previous games not to), but I'd swear I read multiple times on the official forums right after the game came out, that containers do indeed respawn in FO3. The ones in your house don't. And I think ones that were empty from the start, don't. But I could be wrong on that last one.
Huh. I could swear that I read on the modder forums that when they actually looked inside the data files, they found that the default setting on containers was to never respawn. Admittedly, I didn't use the bathroom lockers all that long, but I never lost anything.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

They probably take longer to respawn/clear out than just leaving it lying around.
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

ydejin wrote:
Kyosho wrote: I haven't experienced it myself (because I've learned from previous games not to), but I'd swear I read multiple times on the official forums right after the game came out, that containers do indeed respawn in FO3. The ones in your house don't. And I think ones that were empty from the start, don't. But I could be wrong on that last one.
Yep, the manual specifically says not to leave things in containers you don't own.
Things will also disappear if left lying around (not in a container) for a long time. For a long time I dropped things outside Megaton (in the sheltered area) and one time, when I had completed some quest, a whole bunch of my stuff disappeared.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

So how do i get house in megatone? i ran around talking to everyone to get a key (i am guessing its the house that needs a key). As it seems containers are not safe.
fell free to spoil it foe me, since i spent 7 levels running around carrying it all on me.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Spoiler:
Disarm the bomb. Or blow it up.
But seriously...containers are pretty safe. If they do respawn, they don't do it often.
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

Matrix wrote:So how do i get house in megatone? i ran around talking to everyone to get a key (i am guessing its the house that needs a key). As it seems containers are not safe.
fell free to spoil it foe me, since i spent 7 levels running around carrying it all on me.
Spoiler:
If I remember correctly, you have to disarm the bomb to receive the key to the empty house. You probably get it from the Sheriff, but in my case, the Sheriff was killed 10 minutes after I arrived in Megaton (no, not by me :D ), so I think I got the key from his son ...
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

Thanks, i already had high enough skills to disarm bomb, so in 2 minutes i had my house. Finlay i can load up on at least some junk, i have been as lean as it comes.
Jafisob

Post by Jafisob »

Little Raven wrote:
Spoiler:
Disarm the bomb. Or blow it up.
But seriously...containers are pretty safe. If they do respawn, they don't do it often.
Incredibly informative information never posted because of hitting the evil save button rather than the submit button.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Little Raven wrote: Huh. I could swear that I read on the modder forums that when they actually looked inside the data files, they found that the default setting on containers was to never respawn.
That's possible, but it is also possible that not all of the containers in the world were left at their default settings. I'm not sure, for instance, how much of the Radiant AI they kept around, but if the NPCs need to find food, there needs to be respawning food containers somewhere for them to get it from (since most NPCs have houses, fridges are probably high on the list of suspect containers.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

I'm simply amazed that I'm still playing this game. I finished the main quest with one character in about 60 hours. Then immediately started a new one and have been simply exploring, searching and looking for stuff I missed the first time. I'm almost 50 hours into this second game at level 18 and the world still seems like there's something new to find at every location. This is something that Oblivion and Morrowwind never quite got right for me.

Oh and speaking of finding things...
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image
(clicking makes it bigger)

I'm only missing the energy bobblehead, because I haven't done much of the main quest yet.
She's the puzzle piece behind the couch that makes the sky complete.
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

Tscott wrote:I'm simply amazed that I'm still playing this game. I finished the main quest with one character in about 60 hours. Then immediately started a new one and have been simply exploring, searching and looking for stuff I missed the first time. I'm almost 50 hours into this second game at level 18 and the world still seems like there's something new to find at every location. This is something that Oblivion and Morrowwind never quite got right for me.

Oh and speaking of finding things...
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image
(clicking makes it bigger)

I'm only missing the energy bobblehead, because I haven't done much of the main quest yet.

i am still at start of my first go (17 hours or so) and it is very immersive. Tully impressive what they did with a game.
Odin

Post by Odin »

I just bought this and installed it. I'm looking at breaking my WoW addiction and thought this might be just the trick. Any suggestions on "best-of-breed" mods or sites I ought to check out? I found a few mentioned in this (very long!) thread, but since they weren't really the main topic I didn't see a lot of discussion along those lines. It's possible I just missed them tho.

Sith
Bad Demographic

Sith Lord wrote:I just bought this and installed it. I'm looking at breaking my WoW addiction and thought this might be just the trick. Any suggestions on "best-of-breed" mods or sites I ought to check out? I found a few mentioned in this (very long!) thread, but since they weren't really the main topic I didn't see a lot of discussion along those lines. It's possible I just missed them tho.

Sith
Possibly something that slows down the rate at which you level up, because you level up really fast in this game.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Gamingdude

Post by Gamingdude »

Sith Lord wrote:I just bought this and installed it. I'm looking at breaking my WoW addiction and thought this might be just the trick. Any suggestions on "best-of-breed" mods or sites I ought to check out? I found a few mentioned in this (very long!) thread, but since they weren't really the main topic I didn't see a lot of discussion along those lines. It's possible I just missed them tho.

Sith
I'm wondering if the mods are even really needed or is it okay to just play the game right out of the box? Been thinking about this one, but the mod scene just went crazy over Oblivion. So much so that I never really played it, it was just too confusing what I needed and what I didn't.
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

Little Ravens mod does a good job of slowing leveling. I am very happy with a pace it gave, each level up is meanigfull. I am playing on hard, so it certainly takes a lot of planing in some places, and i think too fast leveling might have spoiled it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I played and finished it before any mods are patched and enjoyed it a ton.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LucidSmoke

Post by LucidSmoke »

Agreed. Use a slow leveling mod. The game feels great out of the box. I am really glad I am using slower leveling...it feels right.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

IMHO the leveling is okay if you're just playing on normal difficulty. If you're playing on higher difficulties, which increases the XP you get (odd design decision), then I can see wanting to slow that XP/level gain down.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

Freezer-TPF- wrote:IMHO the leveling is okay if you're just playing on normal difficulty. If you're playing on higher difficulties, which increases the XP you get (odd design decision), then I can see wanting to slow that XP/level gain down.
I agree. I'm playing this on the PS3, so far I have spent 50 hours and I'm level 12 (of 20). Did a lot of exploring, a good number of quests (including some from the main quest). I really like the game for its sandbox feeling and in a way, I don't want it to end, but if I come to the end after ~100 hours, that would feel right for me, epic enough, but not endless
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

Update:
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image
She's the puzzle piece behind the couch that makes the sky complete.
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

Tscott wrote:Update:
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image
Congrats Tscott!!!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

2.0 mod pack is out

http://www.fileplanet.com/fileblog/arch ... _865.shtml" target="_blank

Normann

Post by Normann »

Is this just me or is this game boring to anyone else? Now I am back at it after the last patch fixed the slow down issue some of us experienced. I left off at level 10 or so. Now I am level 19 and I don't feel motivated to do anything at all. Firefights are no fun. For me the VATS is not doing it because it is very repetitive. But real time fights are poorly implemented. Enemies zig zag instead of running without any concept of inertia or tactics so I can't even keep my cross hair on them. So I have to go VATS all the time and one head rolls after the other. Yawn... But the worst thing is by far the never ever changing scenery. I understand post nuclear war, but is really everything going to be gray? Inside and outside even the people's cloths? I think STALKER did this so much better. And then I have not found a new weapon or a new something, anything to get excited about for hours now. Anytime I work my way into a hard to reach location, there is a case, and nothing in it. Over and over. I don't feel the need to explore because I never find anything real interesting anymore. Back in Morrowind you had to go to specific location where you could find rare items. I remember reading in forums "where did you find this" or "that?". Nothing like that here. Oblivion was already a step toward this direction as well when enemies started to drop glass armor every corner around level 15 and up.

I don't know but I think Oblivion, when it came out in 06(?), was much better than this, and so was Morrowind. I can't help but think that the developers saw a fairly quick way to milk a good title since they already had a working RPG game, they just had to repaint it. But in the process a lot was left out. Like proper AI, decent animation (perhaps VATS hides both well since everything is slow motion), and level design with variety. Compared to this Bioshock was a piece of art in every respect. Too bad that I did not really dig the setting but I did play it through with interest. I doubt I will finish F3.

I know many of you enjoy this game a lot. So anyone else out there who is bored by this game?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Near the end of the game i had been exploring all the wastes and learning the tunnels. just seeing what I could find. But there near the end it got boring. It was just the same old fight after fight and like you said head explodings in VATS . I just stopped exploring. i didn't clean out the Chinese factory or anything. it would ju8st be all the same again and my lvl was capped and I had all the guns I was going to get. So I just went straight to the end and finished it.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Normann wrote:I know many of you enjoy this game a lot. So anyone else out there who is bored by this game?
Not bored, but I am definitely finding it tedious to continue. I've played about 55-60 hours, level 14-15 character. Part of it is my own fault, as every time I get to a new location I feel compelled to search thoroughly for skillbooks or schematics. The wasteland palette was appropriately powerful when I emerged from the Vault, but now it just adds to the tedium and not in a good way.

I've only explored a relatively small part of the HUGE world, and I just cannot imagine really trying to go everywhere and see everything. I don't have the endurance for that, so I am trying to fight my completist instincts and focus more on the main plot so I can finish. I have really enjoyed a lot of the special areas and it is always fun to find an interesting location, but the tedium of the repetitive combat and searching (which I am trying to do less of) is making it difficult to continue.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Creepy_Smell

Post by Creepy_Smell »

I finished last night @ 41hrs and lvl 17. I'm going to take a break from it before going back pre end game save and get up to lvl 20 and explore more.

I enjoyed it but would love to see a Stalker + Fallout 3 mix taking the best parts of each. I think most of my time was spent doing Moira's quests which I do think were good for getting you to see some of the sites. I'd often run off to something else while on one of her quests. Once I decided I wanted to finish the main quest it only took a few hours (Think I was lvl 14 at the time).
Rawrkan

Post by Rawrkan »

if i leave stuff on the ground inside my megaton house will they dissapear after some time?
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Rawrkan wrote:if i leave stuff on the ground inside my megaton house will they dissapear after some time?
Not sure, but there are lockers in the house. If you put the stuff in the lockers it shouldn't disappear.
Black Lives Matter
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Nothing you leave inside your house, even outside lockers, will p. However, anything outside your house will eventually disappear.
JonathanStrange

Post by JonathanStrange »

I did get a bit bored by the landscapes and I did find the fighting aspects of FO3 not ultimately thrilling - which is a shock to me 'cause it's initially cool.

However, this is after finishing the game and starting again and have put into FO3 way too many hours - most of which were fun and had that "I'll play another ten minutes..." feeling to them.

So I easily got my money's worth and then some. Feeling bored and let down by a game that I've thoroughly played, stomped on, worn as a hat, tossed around, tried all sorts of things with? That's nothing new to me. I've experienced it dozens of times.

Then I put the game away and say "It was just one of those things. We were crazy mixed-up kids."

This reminds me of all those beloved games that I'm nostalgic for still - but have NO desire to play again 'cause that was then, this is now.

If I never play FO3 again,I've no regrets. It was a trip!
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of OctopusOverlords.com, the forum members of OctopusOverlords, the elusive Mr. Norrell, or JonathanStrange.

Books Read 2013
Rawrkan

Post by Rawrkan »

Turtle wrote:Nothing you leave inside your house, even outside lockers, will p. However, anything outside your house will eventually disappear.
Thanks for the confirmation, i didnt want my gun collection to dissapear magicly.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I'm sure it's buried back in the previous 30 pages, but don't you find a dog companion somewhere in this game? I'm a little over 20 hours in, and haven't found one yet. The only dogs I ever see attack me on sight. Then again, I haven't done much of the main quest (just got to GNR), so maybe I'm just not there yet.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Skinypupy wrote:I'm sure it's buried back in the previous 30 pages, but don't you find a dog companion somewhere in this game?
Yup. I've always heard that junkyards are a great place to pick up a dog...
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

But watch out for the mines nearby!
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Sarkus

Post by Sarkus »

Skinypupy wrote:I'm sure it's buried back in the previous 30 pages, but don't you find a dog companion somewhere in this game? I'm a little over 20 hours in, and haven't found one yet. The only dogs I ever see attack me on sight. Then again, I haven't done much of the main quest (just got to GNR), so maybe I'm just not there yet.
The dog is nowhere near the main quest or any major optional quest you are likely to be following. In that regard he's the hardest companion to find as you either stumble upon him or have to spoil yourself to find him. I completely missed him my first time through, even though I visited about 60% of the map locations and did almost all the major named optional quests.
Foggy: You have my word as a corporal and a gentleman.
Clegg: Hitler was a corporal!
Foggy: Not in my regiment.
DCL

Post by DCL »

I actually found the dog on my own. But I'm well into the game and I've been doing a lot of exploring (one of the funnest parts of the game) because in another thread I started I was advised to do a lot of exploring because the main quest is so short. I really wish there was a way to find a companion for a good karma character early because it was so hard for me at the beginning and a companion would have helped. Now I'm much stronger and and don't need their help as much but I have found 2 now, that dog and that lady in power armor (who is pretty kick ass)

Anyway I had a question about finding a weapon that can shoot darts. I keep finding darts, I have like a thousand darts, but I can't find any weapon capable of shooting the stupid darts. Do you have to find the schematics for the weapon (so far the only gun I could find that shoots the rail thingys I could only find in a schematic, still looking for the parts) or is there any place you can buy it?
"If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters. This struggle may be a moral one; or it may be a physical one; or it may be both moral and physical; but it must be a struggle."

— Frederick Douglass
Bad Demographic

Instead of the woman from the Brotherhood of Steel, I bought Charon's contract. He was a pretty good companion.
I left the dog in my apartment in Megaton.

Yes, you need a schematic to build the weapon for the darts. I don't recall the name of the weapons - maybe the dart gun? (that would make sense) - I think it uses surgical tubing and a toy car. And maybe a scorpion gland. I don't recall what else.

Black Lives Matter
KiloOhm

Post by KiloOhm »

DCL wrote: I could only find in a schematic, still looking for the parts) or is there any place you can buy it?
It's called the "Dart Gun" and it's a schematic. All schematics can be bought and found you just haven't found it yet. I don't recall off hand where you can find it. Maybe the toy car factory since toy cars are one of the ingredients in it.
Xbox360 Gamertag: Lord Polish
Steam: LordPolish
WoW (Durotan): Valstaff (Mage), Kankle (Warrior) - inactive
Eve: Meticulus - Miner Supreme! - Inactive
Doomboy

Post by Doomboy »

All this recent talk has inspired me to play Fallout 3 again. I got the 2 DLCs, and installed a couple of mods I've had my eye on for months (better living through chems and four eyes), and started over again.

Currently level 4 and exploring Vault 106, which I accidentally discovered on my way to Arefu. I forgot how creepy that particular vault is.