Octopus Overlords?

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

Dalai

Octopus Overlords?

Post by Dalai »

I see everyone going crazy about this name. Where's it from?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Some things are best left unanswered - at least until we can secure the forums.

Been getting a lot of e-mail from the Samurai Spermwhales - they're watching this site with great interest.

I've said too much.
Odin

Re: Octopus Overlords?

Post by Odin »

Dalai wrote:I see everyone going crazy about this name. Where's it from?
My worst nightmare.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Samurai Spermwhales
I'm not even gonna ask... :lol:
EngineNo9

Post by EngineNo9 »

I have yet to see the name used on the site even though the voting went through. I'd like to hear what The Powers That Be had decided on that, since it didn't seem like they were necessarily going to just follow the vote and might do something different.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

EngineNo9 wrote:I have yet to see the name used on the site even though the voting went through. I'd like to hear what The Powers That Be had decided on that, since it didn't seem like they were necessarily going to just follow the vote and might do something different.
Full steam ahead with www.OctopusOverlords.com.

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Dalai

Post by Dalai »

CeeKay

Post by CeeKay »

eeeewwwwwww...... please keep Samurais sperm out of this.
CeeKay has left the building. See him exclusively at Gaming Trend!
Austin

Post by Austin »

Dalai wrote:...
I agree but we have to be a little more discrete.

..i. opt53.. ...brn.. .
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

dot dot dot!

I envision a pissed-off Octopus with a laser gun.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Lee

Post by Lee »

I have been around for years, yet I am not sure where that exact term came from. But, I believe it started with Smoove, posting about how octupi and their family are a very successful spieces and will eventually dominate the planet. I think there was a news article posted about this, and then the GG community kind of ran with the idea.

That's where it came from right?
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

I believe it's actually a quote from The Simpsons. Something to the effect of a feed going dead, and Kent Brockman starts saying, "I think it's obvious what happened. We are being invaded by a race of super-intelligent squid, and I, for one, welcome our new octopus overlords." Someone else can clarify. It's a pretty funny speech.
Downwards Compatible
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

So why does everything else still say 'Brutesquad'?
gellar

Post by gellar »

Smoove_B wrote: Samurai Spermwhales
You have no idea how appropriate this is...

gellar
OMGHI2U
"I guess we're all retarded except you Gellar." - Kobra
"I'm already doomed to the seventh level of hell. If you think I wouldn't kill a person of my choosing for $50 mil, you obviously have no clue just how expensive my taste in shoes really is." - setaside
#gonegold brutesquad
Kratz

Post by Kratz »

Eel Snave wrote:I believe it's actually a quote from The Simpsons. Something to the effect of a feed going dead, and Kent Brockman starts saying, "I think it's obvious what happened. We are being invaded by a race of super-intelligent squid, and I, for one, welcome our new octopus overlords." Someone else can clarify. It's a pretty funny speech.
Actually, no.

Homer goes to space, and he breaks open the ant farm. The cameras with the feed to earth show them extremely close up, so they look huge. They lose the feed. Brockman says the above, but about giant space ants, and welcomes his new insect overlords.
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

Huh. Well. So I was wrong.

It will never happen again, mark my words!

I love enlarging text.
Downwards Compatible
Lee

Post by Lee »

Yeah, well I was even more wrong. :oops: Although I know Smoove has posted articles about octopi taking over.
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Kratz wrote:Homer goes to space, and he breaks open the ant farm. The cameras with the feed to earth show them extremely close up, so they look huge. They lose the feed. Brockman says the above, but about giant space ants, and welcomes his new insect overlords.
The original joke was Smoove_B's completely irrational fear of octopi. In the midst of mocking him, a GoneGold tied it into this bit of Simpson's lore - and the Octopus Overlords were born.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

So why does everything else still say 'Brutesquad'?
It's there to confuse, that you may always question yet never understand.
Kratz

Post by Kratz »

RunningMn9 wrote:
Kratz wrote:Homer goes to space, and he breaks open the ant farm. The cameras with the feed to earth show them extremely close up, so they look huge. They lose the feed. Brockman says the above, but about giant space ants, and welcomes his new insect overlords.
The original joke was Smoove_B's completely irrational fear of octopi. In the midst of mocking him, a GoneGold tied it into this bit of Simpson's lore - and the Octopus Overlords were born.
Well, yes, but that has nothing to do with my post.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

While all things Ocotpus continue to freak me out, I did have a dream the other night that took it to new heights. I can only assume that I'm dreaming about these things because of the increased amount of images I've been seeing on these forums. Normally, I avoid them at all costs.

Anyway, as if they don't scare me enough, I was actually dreaming about an octopus chasing me underwater - and he was carrying a sea cucumber.

We must have been in some type of tank, because when he had me cornered, he was just squeezing the sea cucumber, shooting its guts at me.

So not only was I experiencing complete underwater suckered tentacle horror, but I had to endure the innards of another spineless sea creature.
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

Smoove_B wrote:While all things Ocotpus continue to freak me out, I did have a dream the other night that took it to new heights. I can only assume that I'm dreaming about these things because of the increased amount of images I've been seeing on these forums. Normally, I avoid them at all costs.

Anyway, as if they don't scare me enough, I was actually dreaming about an octopus chasing me underwater - and he was carrying a sea cucumber.

We must have been in some type of tank, because when he had me cornered, he was just squeezing the sea cucumber, shooting its guts at me.

So not only was I experiencing complete underwater suckered tentacle horror, but I had to endure the innards of another spineless sea creature.
And it was homoerotic as hell to boot!
Rip

Post by Rip »

Smoove_B wrote:While all things Ocotpus continue to freak me out, I did have a dream the other night that took it to new heights. I can only assume that I'm dreaming about these things because of the increased amount of images I've been seeing on these forums. Normally, I avoid them at all costs.

Please note this site and it's staff are not liable for any long term emotional damage caused by viewing our friends the overlords! :wink:
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
Bob

Post by Bob »

Plus the whole chulthu connection.

And the fact that octopodes are widely believed to be as intelligent as monkeys.

Which puts them several steps of above most of the people using the internet.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Bob wrote:And the fact that octopodes are widely believed to be as intelligent as monkeys.

And everyone in my office. :lol:
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Bob wrote:Plus the whole chulthu connection.

And the fact that octopodes are widely believed to be as intelligent as monkeys.

More sig material! W00t.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

???

What do octopodes and sea cucumbers have to do with fantasizing about vagina?
Bob

Post by Bob »

"And the fact that octopodes are widely believed to be as intelligent as monkeys. Which puts them several steps above most of the people using the internet."

The word "of" was hiding between "steps" and "above". Might want to fix that in your sig, Zax.
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

LordMortis wrote:
???

nice.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

SuperHiro wrote:
LordMortis wrote:
???

nice.
Took me a minute. :lol:
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Mahogeny

I hope this wasn't where "Octupus Overlords" came

Post by Mahogeny »

I hope this wasn't where "Octupus Overlords" came from ...

http://nomediakings.org/MOVIE.htm - definitely NOT SAFE FOR WORK (Thanks ImLawBoy)

Be afraid of that link.... be very afraid.

And I wouldn't advise clicking on the link at the bottom of that webpage - trust me when I say that NO SANE BEING is considered to be their definition of an "adult" when it comes to purposes of viewing the contents of that link. To keep with the whole Cthulhu thing, the SAN loss on that "frame" link is at least 10d100 and I definitely rolled a bunch of high '90s.

I have to go kill a Cthulhu now to replenish my SAN supply.

Mahogeny
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Mahogeny, would you be a dear and put a Not Safe for Work (NSFW) warning by that link? That's one of the things were going to try to enforce a little more carefully to help those who may surf from work and/or with kids nearby. Your text does a good job of giving that warning, but a nice "NSFW" label (or "Potentially NSFW") can help out further.

Thanks.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Octopus Cannon?

This isn't going to end well.
SETE, France (AFP) - Armed with a high-pressure hose and a bucket of octopi, hundreds of protestors in this Mediterranean town pelted a McDonalds restaurant due to open this week with the slimy seafood.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Mahogeny

Post by Mahogeny »

Sorry ImLawBoy.

Taken care of now...

Mahogeny