Galatic Civilizations

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Montag

Galatic Civilizations

Post by Montag »

How does it compare to MOO or MOO2? Im looking for level of complexity and also how is the combat handled compared to MOO or MOO2.
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Great game, and I played the heck out of it when it was released (I found it infinitely preferable to MOO3, at any rate), but it's been so long since I've played it (and I haven't even seen the contents of the expansion pack), that except for that general endorsement, I'll leave the particulars to more familiar players. :)

- Ash
map

Post by map »

in my opinion galciv is much closer to moo1 than moo2. it just has a lot more features. moo1 is probably in my top 5 games[and i've been gaming since 1983]. gal civ is pretty much what i hoped moo2 would be. having said that i still think that moo1 is simply more FUN.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

How does it compare to MOO or MOO2? Im looking for level of complexity and also how is the combat handled compared to MOO or MOO2.
It compares more to Civ than to Moo or Moo2.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I prefer Space Empires 4 GOLD.
Snow

Post by Snow »

The overall strategic play is very good. The AI is excellent. However, if your passion is designing your own ships and big battles, you'll be disappointed. The combat is Civ style; bump your ship against the enemy, watch the firing animation and wait to see who wins.

It may not be MOO, but it is very good for the style of play they have chosen. It's really just a different set of challenges. There are more strategic points to hold or project power from, probe placement and detection radii are important, keeping trading lanes open is important, etc. I think you get the idea :)

In other news, Galciv 2 is in the works and it will include a ship design and fighting component.
Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

I just picked this up for cheap and even the easy setting is kicking my butt. I'm reviewing fan sites for strategy tips but I'm flummoxed by my inability to colonize planets before the other races do and my inability to build much of a military despite a huge tech lead. It's still better than MOO2 from what I've seen. Never gave MOO3 a try.