WoW :Cosmos

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

dedewhale

WoW :Cosmos

Post by dedewhale »

I read about Cosmos and downloaded it so I could be able to label stuff on my map in the upper right. But for the life of me cant figure out how to do this. Can someone help?
KiloOhm

Post by KiloOhm »

I haven't done it, but I noticed after installing cosmos when I open the map it says something like "double click to create a map note". Have you tried that?

BTW, for people who have not installed it - DO IT, it makes the game much better, kind of like when Bethesda woke up and fixed the journal in MW.
dedewhale

Post by dedewhale »

thanks

no I have not tried that yet? I will try tonight.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I've only put notes on the full map
Jeff Jones

Post by Jeff Jones »

IceBear wrote:I've only put notes on the full map
Yeah, if it can put notes on the mini-map, that's news to me. I've been pressing M to open the big map, and putting notes on that.

In some areas, esp Ironforge, when I double click to place it notes, on the first click it zooms the map out to the big Dur Morogh area. What I figured out to do (in case this happens to you) is to have my guy stand where I want the note, then double click his marker on the big map.

I'm pretty sure I read that cosmos notes can be shared between users. Anyone know how to do this?
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

Jeff Jones wrote:I'm pretty sure I read that cosmos notes can be shared between users. Anyone know how to do this?
I'm actually at work, so I can't verify this as I type it. But as I recall, when you click on the note itself there should be an option to send it to another user.
Godzilla Blitz

Post by Godzilla Blitz »

I haven't played with the note feature yet, but Cosmos is simply outstanding. The sidebars and additional bottom bar make a huge difference in ease of play, especially if you play a character such as a hunter, where you're constanting messing with different types of attacks, skills, etc.
Charlatan

Post by Charlatan »

Right click on a map note and you'll get a popup where one of the items is "send note"

Cosmos is pretty cool. I use a different compilation but it has many similar mods in it (biggest one is the bib mod which gives you tons of toolbars).

There is a mod called "Gatherer mod" which puts marks on the minimap from what I understand. It's used by herbalists/miners where it automatically marks where you found that node. I do it manually though on the big map with the map note.
When all is said and done, there's more said than done.
fancydirt

Post by fancydirt »

Another of the options in the right click menu (or in the more map options menu) is to make the map note you put on the big map appear on your mini map. Make sure you disable that option before you delete the map note as deleting the note doesn't take it off the mini map. I selected it on accident once and deleted the note and I sometimes still get a thing on my mini map telling me to go "here" though I have no idea where here is supposed to be anymore.
\/\/olverine

Post by \/\/olverine »

Thanks for bringing program up, I downloaded it and I love it to death.
Jag

Post by Jag »

\/\/olverine wrote:Thanks for bringing program up, I downloaded it and I love it to death.
But you still hate WOW, right? :wink: (j/k)

BTW, this mod is great as well:

"Sell Value - tells you what price the merchant will pay for any item you have in inventory. Is updated when you visit the merchant and is built from there...extremely helpful when your backpacks are full and you're deciding what to drop and what to keep. Keeps you from doing stupid things like dropping a 5 silver dagger for a 50 copper tooth."

http://capnbry.net/wow/
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Oh man, that's going to be great. I don't know how often I drop something from my inventory and don't know if it was the right item to drop
snoleopard

Post by snoleopard »

I was using Cosmos during the stress beta, and loved it. I downloaded it for my game a couple of weeks ago, and everything started stuttering on my computer. Could this be an issue with ZoneAlarm, or Spysweeper? I'd really like to use it again as it really made a bit difference to me during the stress beta. ZoneAlarm Pro and Spysweeper are the only new things I've put on my computer since Beta.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

You think that's good?

Now, I haven't tried this out - but supossedly this mod not only stores vendor prices, but will also store auction house prices for you making both viewable on the tooltip.

Like so:

Anybody tried this?
Jag

Post by Jag »

I've been looking everywhere for a rough guide of AH prices, i may try this mod.
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

I've tried the auctioneer mod (from the picture above) and had a difficult time trying to get it to work. So far, no luck.

Basically, when you're in an auction, you run the mod by typing "/lootlink auction". The mod runs for several minutes, cycling through the auction house and looking at the information on all the pages.

Unfortunately for me, once it was done my tooltips still looked the same, with the little green part of the tooltip claiming it had "never seen this at auction" for all of my items, even the linen cloth. Yeah, right. ;)
Jag

Post by Jag »

Butterknife wrote:I've tried the auctioneer mod (from the picture above) and had a difficult time trying to get it to work. So far, no luck.

Basically, when you're in an auction, you run the mod by typing "/lootlink auction". The mod runs for several minutes, cycling through the auction house and looking at the information on all the pages.

Unfortunately for me, once it was done my tooltips still looked the same, with the little green part of the tooltip claiming it had "never seen this at auction" for all of my items, even the linen cloth. Yeah, right. ;)
I did some looking. If you click the link on the website, the thread on the official forum says that an older version of lootlink was causing this not to work. Apparently its fixed now. I'd like to be able to export the values to have a rough estimate of auction values without spending alot of time in lagville.
infoghost

Post by infoghost »

I found Cosmos a little 'too much' for what I need. I use CTmod and one or two standalones. Works great for me.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Jag wrote:I've been looking everywhere for a rough guide of AH prices, i may try this mod.
Tried it this morning, and the results are hit and miss. I managed to get some nice AH prices on my tooltips, but the scanning process took more than 5 minutes - and this was at 7 AM!

I wonder if tools like this are part of the cause of the infamous AH lag. If the db was designed for single-lookups and a bunch of us yo-yos are scanning every single item listed, I can see where it might cause problems at peak times.

Do the auction house prices gathered appear for all your characters, or just the one that did the scan?
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

The sell value mod is great. Helps a lot when deep in a dungeon remembering which loot is cheap junk and what is worth holding onto.

I use CTmod over Cosmos too. It has the extra toolbars, the buff timers, and the map notes... that's about all I need.

The Auction price tracker looks a bit much for me. That was a LOT of info shown in that screenshot. Too much information. But granted, I'm not a frequent AH visitor, so I'm not surprised it hasn't grabbed my attention.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Baroquen wrote: I use CTmod over Cosmos too. It has the extra toolbars, the buff timers, and the map notes... that's about all I need.
I'm with you. I love the CTmod - gives me all the functionality I need without all the Cosmos stuff I'll never use. Have you downloaded the new version? I'm holding off because I don't know for sure if my map notes will migrate over, and I'm too lazy to redo them all. :wink:
The Auction price tracker looks a bit much for me. That was a LOT of info shown in that screenshot. Too much information. But granted, I'm not a frequent AH visitor, so I'm not surprised it hasn't grabbed my attention.
It's a bit much, I agree, but it's nice to have some idea of what sells at the AH. I had been keeping track on paper, which was getting pretty tedious.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Exodor wrote:
Jag wrote:I've been looking everywhere for a rough guide of AH prices, i may try this mod.
Tried it this morning, and the results are hit and miss. I managed to get some nice AH prices on my tooltips, but the scanning process took more than 5 minutes - and this was at 7 AM!

I wonder if tools like this are part of the cause of the infamous AH lag. If the db was designed for single-lookups and a bunch of us yo-yos are scanning every single item listed, I can see where it might cause problems at peak times.

Do the auction house prices gathered appear for all your characters, or just the one that did the scan?
Used it last night and this morning. The scanning was slow last night, but faster this morning. I just set the scan and brushed my teeth :wink:

It's useful for me b/c i'm new to the AH and I have no idea what things sell for. I probably won't update it often, but will use the numbers as an approximation. I don't have any alts, so i have no idea about whether it applies for all. I would think so.

I also thought about these database mods slowing down the AH.