WoW - Finding a guild

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

The Mad Hatter

WoW - Finding a guild

Post by The Mad Hatter »

It's tough to find a decent guild, at least on Suramar. I've got the levels to get into most but I don't want one that's full of idiots. I was in one with my paladin alt but I got tired of all the silly yammering in the guild channel. All they would do is get more and more people to join, until it was over 200. That was the only reason the stupid guild existed.

Ideally I'd like one with only 20 or 30 people in it, with no pre-teens or morons to be heard. Some day, maybe.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
- George Orwell
docvego

Post by docvego »

Paladin? Alliance? Bah... Stinky Humans. :twisted:
Austin

Post by Austin »

docvego wrote:Paladin? Alliance? Bah... Stinky Humans. :twisted:

He could be a dorf.
KiloOhm

Post by KiloOhm »

I know an easy way, a 3 step process.

1) Start as a Dark Elf Female (preferrably a priest as they appear even more "girlish")
2) Run around with a slinky top (the robe I was wearing was very revealing) in a city.
3) Have lot's of 12 year old boys drool over you and invite you to a guild.

No kidding, my level 38 mage has been asked into a guild maybe twice. My level 16 DE priest has been asked about 4 times, once someone gave me 30 silver first saying that it was because "we need more priests around". Ha! Just don't let on your actually a 32 y.o. male and you're all set. :)
Jag

Post by Jag »

I finally joined Almost Heroes on Whisperwind. Good bunch of guys, about 70+ members willing to help a brother out. It has definitely enhanced my WOW experience, especially since they'll help craft stuff if you supply the materials. Once i hit the higher levels, part of the fun is helping out the lower level people as well.
Terrified

Post by Terrified »

Jag wrote:I finally joined Almost Heroes on Whisperwind. Good bunch of guys, about 70+ members willing to help a brother out. It has definitely enhanced my WOW experience, especially since they'll help craft stuff if you supply the materials. Once i hit the higher levels, part of the fun is helping out the lower level people as well.
And don't forget that Whisperwind has both the Wanderers and the Brave Companions (the former being a massive guild into almost anything, the latter more of a 'family' guild into PvE and a friendly shared gaming experience) on the Horde side, both groups being composed largely of GoneGold regulars...
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

I haven't heard of the brave companions. Who is running that? I have a horde character I play occasionally, and I'm not really interested in joining the wanderers.
Jeff Jones

Post by Jeff Jones »

I was going to try and start a small, "cozy" guild on Hyjal, but I'm not sure if I'll ever get 10 people, heh. Most of the good players (that I don't already know) that I've run with are already in a guild.

If I were looking to join one, I'd talk to good players I've run with who are in it, and ask them their thoughts on it.
Byrns

Post by Byrns »

ChrisGwinn wrote:I haven't heard of the brave companions. Who is running that? I have a horde character I play occasionally, and I'm not really interested in joining the wanderers.
I would like to play horde also. Can someone PM me with the details for the Brave Companions?
tcweidner

Post by tcweidner »

Problem with small guilds is that with a game running 24/7 , its hard in a guild of only 30 people in it to have very manypeople on at the same times. We at the Wanderers ran into to this time and time again, and if a handful leave, which they always do small guilds fade out. This to be honest is one of the reasons we have decided to go big this time around.( plus the fact that without a large guild the end game raid content will be next to impossible)

While we are still a family and friend guild, we decided to be the biggest family and friends guild around. We have over a dozen husband and wives teams, countless friends, brothers etc and even though we have over 350 characters, 200+ accounts, most primetime even with those numbers you are still only looking at 50 or so online at most times. We have planned to be in this game for years, not months just FYI.
Ibby

Post by Ibby »

Jag wrote:I finally joined Almost Heroes on Whisperwind. Good bunch of guys, about 70+ members willing to help a brother out.
I don't think Almost Heroes has 70 individual players. I think we're up around 35 or so, with the difference being made up with alts. We like it small, but obviously if your guild is too small, you can really be affected if a handful of players drop the game.

All in all, outside of the server difficulties, I think it's a great game.
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

Ibby wrote:
Jag wrote:I finally joined Almost Heroes on Whisperwind. Good bunch of guys, about 70+ members willing to help a brother out.
I don't think Almost Heroes has 70 individual players. I think we're up around 35 or so, with the difference being made up with alts. We like it small, but obviously if your guild is too small, you can really be affected if a handful of players drop the game.

All in all, outside of the server difficulties, I think it's a great game.
I think last time I counted we have like 42 unique players, and the remaining 30 or so (we had a couple new ones yesterday) are alts. That might be misleading, yes, but we have grown to where it seems like we always have 12-14 of those people on at any given time. Or at least it feels like it.

We are still actively recruiting, and amazingly we are not that far down the list of Alliance Whisperwind guilds-the best thing about AH is really everyone helps each other out whenever possible with just about everything, and we always have fun it seems. The worst thing-well, we dont organize upper level instance runs well, lol.
Godzilla Blitz

Post by Godzilla Blitz »

I've been playing a few characters on some of the role-playing servers and have been having fun.

I did start an undead mage on Whisperwind, however, and would be interested in playing that characer more. I'm interested in joining a guild as well, but I'm curious: does Almost Hereos or the Wanderers do any in-character role-playing?
docvego

Post by docvego »

Godzilla Blitz wrote: but I'm curious: does Almost Hereos or the Wanderers do any in-character role-playing?
SuperHiro and I sometimes do short 1 Act plays be mixing Shakespear and Warcraft Lore over guild chat. I think we're doing The Merchant of Ratchet this Saturday. :lol:
Ramoz

Post by Ramoz »

Want to be in a guild? Make a priest.. My lvl 38 priest can't even go into IF without getting a guild invite every 3 mins or so. Damned annoying.
gellar

Post by gellar »

There's always our small guild over on Aggrammar. I think we're about 6 or 7 members strong, but we have a good time.

There's also two guys who seem to play all day, so there's always someone to chat with on Guildchat.

gellar
OMGHI2U
"I guess we're all retarded except you Gellar." - Kobra
"I'm already doomed to the seventh level of hell. If you think I wouldn't kill a person of my choosing for $50 mil, you obviously have no clue just how expensive my taste in shoes really is." - setaside
#gonegold brutesquad
The Mad Hatter

Post by The Mad Hatter »

Maybe I should have started up on Whisperwind, I don't know anyone on Suramar except a Japanese exchange student who went through the Scarlet Monastery with me yesterday.
- George Orwell
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

I found a new guild about a week ago. My original guild was a pickup guild led by an annoying 14-year-old. After an initial growth, the guild's size fell in half within a very short period. Our guildleader managed to get himself booted from the guild (don't ask -- long story) but the guild never recovered.

Now I'm playing with a bunch of Canadians. Sure, they talk kind of funny and brag about their snowmobiles, but they're a fantastic group of guys and they don't hold being from the States against me. Not to mention, there is always someone on, which for me is a lot more fun. I actually enjoy guilds that are "chatty", where people have something to say, ask, complain about, or whatever. If the guild has no chit-chat going on, I'd be far less happy about it.
\/\/olverine

Post by \/\/olverine »

I'm deciding to give WoW a second chance after quitting a few weeks ago, so perhaps joining a thriving guild would be a good choice. How can I get into Almost Heroes? The Wanderers seems too big, and Brave Companions too small, AH appears to be the best fit inbeween.
Godzilla Blitz

Post by Godzilla Blitz »

(Sorry so long)

Not directly guild related, but I’ve been thinking a bit, and was wondering if anyone would be interested in something like this:

OO WoW Role-Playing Group/Night

The goal would be to get a group of OO members to role-play and play WoW together one or two nights a week on one of the role-playing servers.

Initial thoughts…

The emphasis would be on fun, adventure, and role-playing interaction, rather than on leveling and advancement. If we got enough people, we could start a guild, but a guild would be a means to help us reach our goals, not a goal in itself.

If I had to sum it up, I’d say that we’d be looking to enjoy the journey through the world of WoW and to take advantage of the game’s potential for fun role-playing. The emphasis would not be on hurrying to get to next level or to get the next uber weapon. Each player would be responsible for creating a character and trying to role-play that character.

More details…

I don’t envision the group to be a “hard-core” role-playing group, but at the same time, I do think the goal would be to stay in character as much as possible, and to make necessary out-of-character statements within double parentheses (( …)) or prefaced by the (ooc) lead-in. Style of speech would be player preference, but leetspeak would be out. If possible, each player would try to create a background and story for their character (or build one up as we play along), and act out that character’s personality in the game. Although there would be room for creativity, the characters should also have personalities that aim to function reasonably well in a group; in effect, don’t create a thief and use the “Well, I’m a thief after all!” excuse to justify ninja-looting all the good stuff we find, or use your character’s over-aggressive personality to justify pulling a half dozen mobs on your party every chance you get. Functioning well as a group would be one of the goals, with the intent to become fairly adept team players over time.

The get-together could be a regular event at some amenable time, say from 9:30 EST on Mondays/Thursdays for a couple of hours (or longer as desired). We’d pick a faction, try and get some group balance with classes, and then each of us would create a character from scratch and work through the game together. The goal would be to try and keep our characters roughly the same level, so that we’d be able to work together on a regular basis. We'd be moving rather slowly through the game, so if anyone wanted to catch up or join later, they could play the game individually until they get near our group’s level. At the end of a play session, we'd set a level range for the next play session, with the idea basically that we’d want to be within one or two levels of our highest leveled player for the next gaming session. For example, if our highest level character got to level 10 during play, we'd want our players to roughly be level 8-10 for the next session. Likewise, if someone missed a session, they could catch up for the next one. If we get enough people, players could schedule “catch-up” sessions with other players outside of the regular sessions, and we could have a wider level range to try and accommodate a greater range of players.

If we even had a half dozen interested players that were able to make one of the two weekly sessions, I think we could make this work on a regular basis, since small groups work well in the low level areas. Even with as few as six characters, we’d probably want to split up into two groups for many of the play sessions, so three people would probably be enough to get started. If we got a dozen or so regular players, we could start a guild at some point as well, and expand on the concept to accommodate more players, perhaps even creating “waves” of players working through the game.

After each play session, someone could be responsible for posting in a thread here a brief recap of the night’s adventures (quests covered, etc.). We could figure out the level range for the next meeting. That way, anyone who missed a session could cover similar ground on their own before the next session. Also, we could use a thread in the multiplayer forum for in-character posts, if we so desired.

Logistically, I’d say we’d be looking at horde or alliance on one of the less-crowded RPG servers. If we are going to start together from scratch, we’d want to either pick orcs/trolls from the horde side, or dwarves/gnomes from the alliance side, since they have the same starting areas. If we’d like to get a greater range of races, some of us could start alone or in small groups as an elf/human or undead/druid, then try to join the group at level 6-8, which should only make them miss the first two play sessions at most.

If there’s some interest, I’ll put this post in a thread of its own over in the Multiplayer forum. I’d say it should only take a couple of days of initial discussion to get things going. We could probably start sometime early next week.
fancydirt

Post by fancydirt »

If you want to be in a smaller guild that's skilled, mature and friendly, you can start a horde character on Skullcrusher and join mine. :)
Terrified

Post by Terrified »

tcweidner wrote:Problem with small guilds is that with a game running 24/7 , its hard in a guild of only 30 people in it to have very manypeople on at the same times. We at the Wanderers ran into to this time and time again, and if a handful leave, which they always do small guilds fade out. This to be honest is one of the reasons we have decided to go big this time around.
All very good points and very good reasons to join the Wanderers. But the Brave Companions deal with these issues thusly:
1) "Hard to have people on at the same time" - Most of the Brave Companions come from other games (notably CoH) where we found out we had similar play times. So we tend to do better than most small guilds.
2) "If a handful leave, the guild dies out" - True, but we ran into this in CoH... and we just found a like minded small group and merged with them.
3) "plus the fact that without a large guild the end game raid content will be next to impossible" - Heh, well, there's where we kind of cheat. Since some of us are ex-Wanderers from other games, we know a lot of Wanderers players. So our end game plan is going to involve us being an 'allied guild' with the Wanderers. :)
Misguided

Post by Misguided »

Heck I wish we could get 10% of the Wanderers in WoW to come back to CoH.
qp

Post by qp »

Terrified wrote:
tcweidner wrote:Problem with small guilds is that with a game running 24/7 , its hard in a guild of only 30 people in it to have very manypeople on at the same times. We at the Wanderers ran into to this time and time again, and if a handful leave, which they always do small guilds fade out. This to be honest is one of the reasons we have decided to go big this time around.
All very good points and very good reasons to join the Wanderers. But the Brave Companions deal with these issues thusly:
1) "Hard to have people on at the same time" - Most of the Brave Companions come from other games (notably CoH) where we found out we had similar play times. So we tend to do better than most small guilds.
2) "If a handful leave, the guild dies out" - True, but we ran into this in CoH... and we just found a like minded small group and merged with them.
3) "plus the fact that without a large guild the end game raid content will be next to impossible" - Heh, well, there's where we kind of cheat. Since some of us are ex-Wanderers from other games, we know a lot of Wanderers players. So our end game plan is going to involve us being an 'allied guild' with the Wanderers. :)
Was it proud companions in CoH? Anyone know if the protectors made it to WoW? (heh i guess i'll have to dig up their site link)
Game developer in Port Hope, Ontario
Five Archers Corporation
@FiveArchers on Twitter!
tcweidner

Post by tcweidner »

Terrified while we are always happy to group with fun guys and guilds like you and your guys, raids are gonna be a little different since we have to have official guild raids most often as we give out points acccording to our loot system. Just a heads up . Certainly we will lead some raids that we'll invite many others, but in the months ahead there may be many a Onyxia raid ect that unfortuately due to our "raid Loot rules" will be wanderer only since Raid loot is a dynamic hurdle along with the once a week raid rule.
Terrified

Post by Terrified »

tcweidner wrote:Terrified while we are always happy to group with fun guys and guilds like you and your guys, raids are gonna be a little different since we have to have official guild raids most often as we give out points acccording to our loot system. Just a heads up.
I'm sure there will be hurdles. But some of my guildies have spoken to some of the Wanderers and afaik, we've got some kind of solution already set up. Or I could be wrong. :) Either way, I'm not stressing about it.
Loomi

Post by Loomi »

I think there is a little confusion about the term raid. A distinction needs to be made between PvP and PvE raids. As it stands now, I've contacted the Wanderers about some Brave Companions partaking in a PvP raid against the Alliance.

PvE raids are a different animal that I haven't even given a thought to yet.
Godzilla Blitz

Post by Godzilla Blitz »

cast/OO WoW Role-Playing Night/Group...

*fizzle*

*spell failed*

(caster level is too low)

:)
The Mad Hatter

Post by The Mad Hatter »

Godzilla Blitz wrote:cast/OO WoW Role-Playing Night/Group...

*fizzle*

*spell failed*

Godzilla - it's a good idea but my own experience with RP servers is limited. How do they play differently from the regular ones, ie. how is the roleplaying enforced?
- George Orwell
Jag

Post by Jag »

Godzilla Blitz wrote:cast/OO WoW Role-Playing Night/Group...

*fizzle*

*spell failed*

It's also pretty hard just to get enough guys together to do some quests or an instance.
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

I think it would be fun to have a regularly-scheduled group of similiarly-levelled players, but I'll admit to having sorta spaced out about a paragraph into your post.
Byrns

Post by Byrns »

Well last night I decided to make a character on Cenarion Circle (horde). If anyone wants to join me in a roleplay environment send a tell to Sulaco. I'm very new to WoW so I'm not sure how to get around yet. (I was level 7 when I logged last night.)

I couldn't commit to a structured RP night but I'm up for some casual grouping.
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

Not to change the subject but are there any recommendations on how to pick your server? I won't get started for a few days but I've seen enough in the WoW forums to lead me to believe some servers are really crowded and some are not.

I plan to roll up a Shaman first and want to play on a PvE server to start. I'm on the US East Coast. Looked at some stats at WarcraftRealms for low volume servers but I don't know if their data is that reliable.

Thanks.
tcweidner

Post by tcweidner »

well it seems that blizz will be doubling it servers soon to 170+, and allow a one time player migration, so alot is about to change very soon so I wouldnt stress too much about server population.
Byrns

Post by Byrns »

Elmo wrote:Not to change the subject but are there any recommendations on how to pick your server? I won't get started for a few days but I've seen enough in the WoW forums to lead me to believe some servers are really crowded and some are not.

I plan to roll up a Shaman first and want to play on a PvE server to start. I'm on the US East Coast. Looked at some stats at WarcraftRealms for low volume servers but I don't know if their data is that reliable.

Thanks.
I think wowcensus is a bit more accurate.
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

Elmo wrote:Not to change the subject but are there any recommendations on how to pick your server? I won't get started for a few days but I've seen enough in the WoW forums to lead me to believe some servers are really crowded and some are not.

Thanks.
Blizzard sorts it's servers based on population when you first log on. So the best way to pick your server if you want a low-pop server in your area, is to just go with the server at the very top of the list. The top server is Blizzard's "recommended" server for you. If you want to go PvP, pick the top PvP server, etc.
Byrns

Post by Byrns »

tcweidner wrote:well it seems that blizz will be doubling it servers soon to 170+, and allow a one time player migration, so alot is about to change very soon so I wouldnt stress too much about server population.
Where did you read that? (Just curious)
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

Butterknife wrote:
Blizzard sorts it's servers based on population when you first log on. So the best way to pick your server if you want a low-pop server in your area, is to just go with the server at the very top of the list. The top server is Blizzard's "recommended" server for you. If you want to go PvP, pick the top PvP server, etc.
How can I tell from the list which servers are East Coast?

Thanks for the other replies too. I'll check out wowcensus.
Godzilla Blitz

Post by Godzilla Blitz »

The Mad Hatter: Role-playing the game adds another element to the game play in that you are acting as your character, rather than as a player of the game. The best way that I can describe it is that done well, it feels almost as if you are an actor in a play. I've only had limited experience with it myself on a persistent NWN world, but have found it to be incredibly fun and immersive.

The role-playing on WoW's role-playing servers is hit-or-miss, and it seems to me that only 1/3 of the players are actively trying to role-play. Role-playing is supposedly enforced by Blizzard, but I have seen little of any such enforcement. I've run into my share of unintelligible leetspeak. The low level areas especially have little role-playing. Having said that, there have been some fun experiences, and the role-playing is better as you get out of the lower areas. If anything, I have found that the players on the role-playing servers are friendlier and more mature, on average, than those of the regular servers.

Byrns: I've got a low level character on Cenarion as well, on the horde side. His name is Nonki, and he's a troll shaman with purple hair. Happy-go-lucky guy. I haven't had much time to play this week (end of teaching semester), but hope to finish up grading and get back to the game later this week.