Logitech Mouse MX510 Question

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Riker's Beard

Logitech Mouse MX510 Question

Post by Riker's Beard »

Picked up a new optical mouse last night, a Logitech MX510 optical. Now one of the selling features on this mouse was "game optimized" drivers for faster response, etc. However, it requires installing the Logitech software. Win XP of course, got the mouse running just fine, so I'm reluctant to install Logitech's software if everything is running cool (i.e. If it ain't broke, don't fix it). What I was wondering is if anyone around here has a similar mouse, if they've installed the Logitech mouse software and if it makes any kind of difference in performance (i.e. Does it really work better in games?)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I just got one of these to replace an MS Intellimouse Optical (wonky cord). I installed the Logitech software straightaway, but notice no difference in games compared to my old optical mouse. It's a bit more sensitive and I had to crank down the mouse sensitivity in a few games and it defaulted to acceleration (booooo!). But otherwise, no difference that I see. I kept all Logitech's defaults except acceleration and turned off the task switcher button.

The only reason I installed the logitech software is because I have a 5 button cordless Logitech and all the buttons didn't work in all programs until I installed their software. Don't know if it's the same with the 510 but I installed just so I wouldn't have to worry about it later. Probably wasn't necessary.

Bottomline, if you're happy with the way it works now, no need to pack on more bloat.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jag

Post by Jag »

Any other input on this? I see that Amazon is offering it for $27 after rebate. Good deal? Is it worth getting or the standard MS optical corded?
Gedd
Technical Admin

Post by Gedd »

If I was looking for a mouse, I'd pick it up. I've already got a 510 and while it took a little getting used to, it works great now. I ended up installing the software in order to get better control over the scrolling rate on the wheel.
crumsteel

Post by crumsteel »

I have been using the mx510 mouse for about 3 months now and never installed the Logitech software. I have not had any problems with the buttons or playing a game without the driver installed. All the buttons work except for 1 (I think a program switch button) in XP with out the driver installed for me, I don’t think I would use that button anyways. When I first got the mouse it felt awkward, but now I hate using my mouse at work because I love the feel of the 510.
Riker's Beard

Post by Riker's Beard »

I've spent some time with it now and I like it. I don't think I'll be installing the software. Seems to work just fine.