Hot Sauce

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Re: Hot Sauce

Post by Blackhawk »

FWIW (and as someone who isn't a fan of heat beyond the point of that it detracts from the flavor), handling the heat is a tolerance that you can absolutely build up over time. It'll also make you slightly more resistant to pepper spray (really.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Too much spice makes my head itch.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:02 pm FWIW (and as someone who isn't a fan of heat beyond the point of that it detracts from the flavor), handling the heat is a tolerance that you can absolutely build up over time. It'll also make you slightly more resistant to pepper spray (really.)
The reaction I had to the gas chamber in Army BASIC was pretty close to the reaction I had to the One Chip Challenge with maybe a touch less vomit.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:27 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:02 pm FWIW (and as someone who isn't a fan of heat beyond the point of that it detracts from the flavor), handling the heat is a tolerance that you can absolutely build up over time. It'll also make you slightly more resistant to pepper spray (really.)
The reaction I had to the gas chamber in Army BASIC was pretty close to the reaction I had to the One Chip Challenge with maybe a touch less vomit.
Unless they've changed something, that would have been CS gas (a microcrystaline) rather than OC (pepper spray.) CS causes direct pain (like stepping on sharp glass), while OC causes a painful reaction (like putting hot sauce in your eye.)
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

We ate shortly before going in and I'll never forget seeing a guy puke canned peaches out of his nose.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:46 pm
Unless they've changed something, that would have been CS gas (a microcrystaline) rather than OC (pepper spray.) CS causes direct pain (like stepping on sharp glass), while OC causes a painful reaction (like putting hot sauce in your eye.)
All I remember is most of my neck up orifices leaking profoundly, but it has been 35 years.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've been hit with CS gas (tear gas) twice, and OC (pepper spray)... four times, I think. Being exposed was a standard part of training. It let you could know what to expect from experience, from seeing other people exposed (certification was done in groups), and because it weakened legal cases against us ("Do you have any idea the kind of pain this caused my client?" "Sure. Want to see the videotape?")

OC hurts more. The actual pain level is higher. CS gas, however, is more pervasive, and more persistent. CS hurts everything (it's a microcrystaline, so think microscopic ice crystals or powdered glas), while OC only hurts exposed tissue and mucus membranes (it is exactly the same stuff that adds heat to hot sauce, only more concentrated.) And OC will dissipate - CS will simply settle. You can open a window and all of the OC in a room will be gone in half an hour. CS? You can walk into a room where it was sprayed years ago and stir up the dust with your feet (which is why CS is rarely used indoors.)

At the same time, you can develop a resistance to OC. People who regularly eat very spicy foods can shrug off the effects (it's often less effective on people of Latin or Indian upbringing.) You can become accustomed to CS gas to the point that you lose the psychological effects of being exposed, but you can't become resistant to the physical effects (like your eyes swelling shut.)

Either one will make your neck up orifices leak profoundly.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

They are generally not that hot but I love West Indian mustard based hot sauces. Right now I'm going through a bottle of Baron's but I don't really have a favorite brand. I know they still have vinegar in them but the flavor is so much better than the thin vinegar sauces
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

That sounds really good. I shall have to seek that out.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I was at Walmart the other day and they have a bin of $1 "airplane bottles" of hot sauce. Not sure how many varieties, I picked 3, Melindas Fire roasted habanero and garlic, Melinda's Habanero Ketchup, and something called Tabanero. Haven't had occassion to try any yet.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

So, all of you who enjoy hot sauces for the flavor - what do you prefer to put them on?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:07 am So, all of you who enjoy hot sauces for the flavor - what do you prefer to put them on?
I find that a splash of tobasco really enhances breakfast eggs. Otherwise, hot sauce is mostly for Mexican foods.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:31 pm I was at Walmart the other day and they have a bin of $1 "airplane bottles" of hot sauce. Not sure how many varieties, I picked 3, Melindas Fire roasted habanero and garlic, Melinda's Habanero Ketchup, and something called Tabanero. Haven't had occassion to try any yet.
I saw that bin too. I just wish I could find Annie Chun's Gochujang locally lately. I think it's been discontinued.
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

em2nought wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:01 am
Jeff V wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:31 pm I was at Walmart the other day and they have a bin of $1 "airplane bottles" of hot sauce. Not sure how many varieties, I picked 3, Melindas Fire roasted habanero and garlic, Melinda's Habanero Ketchup, and something called Tabanero. Haven't had occassion to try any yet.
I saw that bin too. I just wish I could find Annie Chun's Gochujang locally lately. I think it's been discontinued.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Since I was gifted a jelly jar of some homemade fermented hot sauce I've been experimenting to find out what to put it on. Eggs of course. Beans of all sorts (black eyed peas, Cajun red beans, pot of Italian inspired white beans, kale and sausage). Fish tacos instead of a more traditional salsa. My paprika wasn't very hot this year so it was good stirred into my fish stew that normally gets more heat from the paprika.

The West Indian stuff is thicker and not as hot drop for drop so I use it in place of mustard on some sandwiches. Yesterday it went well with a homemade spicy (but not particularly hot) beef sausage on a poppy seed roll. I haven't done it in a while but it is also great on a grilled cheese!
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:07 am So, all of you who enjoy hot sauces for the flavor - what do you prefer to put them on?
Eggs, potatoes, stir-frys, soups, beans, tofu scrambles..
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Heh mainly eggs, potatoes, meatballs and marinara sauce, wings, and chili. I'm sure there's more but that's the top of my head.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Hot sauce goes on pretty much everything served in my house because most of it is pretty bland. It's funny that my wife and I grew up in the same area of NY but have very different thoughts on what food should taste like.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:34 am
Thanks, I'll have to give that a go. Bright and tangy sounds like a plus.
Madmarcus wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:45 am Since I was gifted a jelly jar of some homemade fermented hot sauce I've been experimenting to find out what to put it on.
Supposedly fermented food products have some really beneficial properties for humans. I just picked up a big jar of sauerkraut from Aldi. Squeezed the salt water out of it and added some cheap generic tabasco, crushed red pepper, apple cider vinegar, just a little generic Splenda, green peppers, and dark red kidney beans. It's not bad. Not a fan of plain kraut, but this spicy stuff I'd eat. Not fond of Kimchi though based on some from Walmart.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/fermente ... ts-7111638
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I love kimchi but don't really like most sauerkraut.

I've tried a few other fermented veggies. Radishes and turnips make an ok kimchi and preserved lemons were ok. But fermented salt pickles just didn't taste right. I have a recipe for fermented mustard greens that looks good but I don't see mustard greens in the store that often. I should try it with collards since those are common.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I like kimchi, but I really, really like sauerkraut. Just sauerkraut - no foul caraway seeds, no sugar.

Now I'm in the mood. I think I'll add some to my shopping list.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

I've started using hot sauces as my primary salad dressing.

I tend to favor Cholula, Tabasco, or Frank's if that's all they have.

I also like a local NJ hot sauce called Hank Sauce.
Conform or be cast out!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:23 pm
Eggs, potatoes, stir-frys, soups, beans, tofu scrambles..
Once at Taste of Chicago I a Cuban restaurant served black beans with a hotdog (high quality butcher shop) and ketchupeno. Very simple, very tasty. I was making variations of that for a long time until the hotdogs became difficult to find. Now I intend to try that with the habanero ketchup.

Otherwise, I use hot sauces in gumbo, jambalaya, squash soups (habanero hot sauce goes especially well with roasted acorn squash soup), chicken wings, stews, seafood boils, and soups. I add siracha to pancit.
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Mmm... pancit. There's a Filipino food truck here that makes great vegan lumpia and pancit. The pancit always looks like it should be dry, but it never is.
mori

Post by mori »

Funny that North Dakota likes the heat. It is unlike any NoDak I know. The ones I know like their food bland while drinking a 12-pack+ of Miller Lite a day. No taste at all. I am sort of familiar with the Mexican Village stuff from ND but I know them as making the tubs of salsa in the refrigerated section at the grocery store. It is OK but it is so pureed and thin it is hard to get a decent chip full of salsa. Probably used better as something to pour onto other food instead of a dipping condiment. If they make other stuff I will have to keep an eye out.

I am a hot sauce fanatic. I will occasionally get the Hot Ones season pack. The last one I got was a few seasons ago. Bummed that you don't get Da' Bomb Beyond Insanity instead get Da' Bomb Redemption. I just want to experience how bad that sauce is without having to get it off of Amazon. But these sauces are usually not for everyday use since some of them are extremely spicy and the others can be a bit odd with the ingredients.

I am a huge fan of Melinda's sauces which are very approachable. The Black Truffle condiment sauce goes very well with mac'n cheese. The black truffle is not overwhelming but definitely noticeable. Another is parmesan & garlic that goes well on pizza. The original habanero or XXX is my go to table sauce. If I get takeout then a Melinda's product is likely going on it.

Another very approachable hot sauce is Marie Sharp's. Based in Belize and they do magic with habanero. If you try the original hot and still do not like habanero, then you know the pepper is not for you. They use carrots as the base for sweetness and then allow the fruity, tropical nature of the habanero shine through. Have not tried their more extreme sauces but I am intrigued.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:35 pm Marie Sharp's Smokin' Marie Pepper Sauce 50k-250k scoville and available cheap at walmart. It has a Smoky BBQ taste that I like on mac and cheese. and any bland meat products my wife prepares (rest of the household fears and despises spice)
I haven't seen any Marie Sharp's around, so I'm ordering a couple bottles online.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I mainly just like Tabasco. The green followed by original. I got some chipotle Tabasco the other week. I didn't like it when it first came out but gave it another go. I really like it now. Sorta like a mildly hot bbq sauce .
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
mori

Post by mori »

em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Haven't seen any Marie Sharp's in Florida yet. Planning to try and pick up a gochujang paste tub next time I pass an Asian Market as the paste is supposedly fermented.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

em2nought wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:33 pm Haven't seen any Marie Sharp's in Florida yet. Planning to try and pick up a gochujang paste tub next time I pass an Asian Market as the paste is supposedly fermented.
I looked online and it looks like Walmart and Amazon both sell it...as well as Marie's Sharp's own website.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:22 pm
em2nought wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:33 pm Haven't seen any Marie Sharp's in Florida yet. Planning to try and pick up a gochujang paste tub next time I pass an Asian Market as the paste is supposedly fermented.
I looked online and it looks like Walmart and Amazon both sell it...as well as Marie's Sharp's own website.
I looked at the websites too, but you have to order Marie Sharp's instead of it being at a normal cheap store price, or being on the store shelves. Amazon prices on stuff like that seem really elevated to me. The paste didn't look terribly overpriced, thought I actually might be passing an Asian Market today, but I changed my mind about my plans for the day.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive always found Amazon food products ridiculously overpriced. Sometimes 5x the normal store costs.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Yesterday I bought the ghost pepper sauce as well as the ghost pepper ketchup.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Where in the store are these bins usually found?

Well kinda moot to me as I cant get to the store and i doubt the little bottle are listed on the website so a shopper could grab them for me.

I have GOT to get my damn car fixed. Could be another 8 months. I hope not.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:41 pm Ive always found Amazon food products ridiculously overpriced. Sometimes 5x the normal store costs.
Many items are listed by opportunists who'll be ruined if they ever sell enough that Amazon itself decided to undercut them. That is the game they play.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I find Amazon marketplace often has things at 5x price of competitors. I just got a new bathroom chrome faucet for $50 from Home Depot. I saw similar faucets with a different finish for $20 and dissimilar faucets in chrome for $10. So I google and Amazon said they had one for $25. The redirect link pointed the same faucet for $250. IMO, their marketplace is a mess and a last resort for me. I love (hate) how searches are polluted with so much garbage and how sorting by price, doesn't sort by price. Much like google, they went from being exactly what I wanted in the early 2000s to a complete mess over the last 20 years.
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

I just finished a bottle of this.

Sega Smoked Onion Pineapple Reaper Hot Sauce: after their rise and fall in videogames, you can't blame Sega for trying to break into another industry like hot sauce. The bottle says 7/10 heat level on the back, and it can be fairly hot. It's slightly chunky and the pineapple lends a nice sweetness. But the first ingredient is organic apple cider vinegar, and it does taste too vinegary. Won't be buying again.

And if you think the Sega that makes this hot sauce isn't the same Sega that makes videogames: look at the bottle. Now google the Dreamcast logo. You're welcome.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

I like all kinds of sauces, but I really only like hot sauce that actually has some flavour to it; not just rocket fuel burn without taste.

The last time my wife was down in the states she brought me home a bottle of the Trader Joes Green Dragon hot sauce and I'm surprised how much I like that on chicken and pork. Once its done though, not sure when I'll be back down there to get more - not paying the crazy Amazon prices to get it here!
No.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I'll ship you some.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I've never been in a Trader Joe's. I'll have to remember to try and stop in if I'm in a city that has one.