[Werewolf variant] The Thing! Day fourteen begins!

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Padre

[Werewolf variant] The Thing! Day fourteen begins!

Post by Padre »

Been wanting to run this variation for a while.

Here's how it goes down:

You're all scientists in a remote facility in the Arctic.

One of you has become infected and turned into a hideous shapeshifting monster - The Thing. While you appear normal during the daytime, at night you take on hideous form and infect another player with your monstrousness.

From then on, the Things decide together who to infect.

Fortunately, the scientists have worked out an incontrevertible way of testing for whether someone is a thing. THe problem is the method relies on an obscure chemical component which can be generated in only two ways - one, harvested from the corpses of a Thing; two, synthesised in small amounts in a procedure that takes 24 hours.

The upshot of all this is as follows:

* The scientists can test two people per day for free. (This is the synthesised test-serum)
* If you get a Thing with the second of your Tests, you can test again. (The first batch of test-serum causes caustic damage to the THing making his corpse unsalvagble. Or something.)
* If you get a Thing on the third test, you can test again, and so on ad infinitum.

Discovered Things are killed and out of the game. Undiscovered things still get to vote on the testing.

Accidentally tested humans do not die, they remain the game.

If you are converted to a Thing, you are informed via Pm that this has occured, but NOT who your fellow Things are until you meet them the following night! You are expected to play the new role of Thing fully to the best of your ability.

No PMs are allowed between anyone except between the Things at night only, and the Things with me (to communicate the transformation, obviously).

There is no Seer or any other equivalent roles. Just scientists and an ever increasing number of Things. Unless you test the right people, of course.

Ok, so, I reckon twenty players sounds like a fun number and just a single Thing all on his lonesome to start. We start with a Day phase, so if you get lucky you'll win in a single round!

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the Things win whenever the number of things is equal to the number of Scientists, just as in regular Werewolf. The Scientists have to eliminate all the Things.

1. Remus West
2. msteelers
3. chaosraven
4. Pharaoh
5. Zekester
6. Genghis
7. Mr Bubbles
8. malchior
9. pr0ner
10. rdm
11. Cesare's Divine Spark
12. Orinoco
13. Trikane
14. Crux
15. setaside
16. Gryndyl
17. Bakhtosh
18. Kraegor
19. Caine
20. Lars
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

IN! This sounds very interesting.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

sure, i'm in.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Whoa...

a game where when the vote to "lynch/test" me it doesn't kill me unless I'm already a bad guy? And when the badguys eat me,
I get to *BE* a bad guy?

I am *SO* IN

:twisted:
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
Pharaoh

Post by Pharaoh »

In!

Btw, the Thing is Childs.
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

In
Name the 3 branches of the US Government: "Judicial, legislative....I can twerk"
Genghis

Post by Genghis »

Im in
Mr Bubbles

Post by Mr Bubbles »

Now that the monster is pretty much dead. count me in..
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.”
Bertrand Russell
malchior

Post by malchior »

In.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

In!
Hodor.
rdm

Post by rdm »

In!
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Actually, nevermind. I might not have time for a game that goes without PM's. Out. :(
Genghis

Post by Genghis »

Hrm. actually remove me. I will be not be able to post much if any next week.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

And the things do infect one per turn, right? Not exponential?

1=2=4=8=16=game?
"Where are you off to?"
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Dude, can't you wait until the game starts to fill the thread with useless babble?
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Mr Bubbles

Post by Mr Bubbles »

Does this call for a ummm test? What Im afraid of is.. they'll find out I have herpies.
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.”
Bertrand Russell
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Remus West wrote:Dude, can't you wait until the game starts to fill the thread with useless babble?

That's funny. Mine was making sure I had the rules right while yours...

*ring* *ring*
-hello?
-Hey, pot! This is kettle... guess what?

-click

See the difference? *THIS* is useless babble.
"Where are you off to?"

Padre

Post by Padre »

Chaosraven wrote:And the things do infect one per turn, right? Not exponential?
Yep, one a night, even if there's nine Things.
Pharaoh

Post by Pharaoh »

Well if thats the case, no wonder the Thing's died out. So much power, yet so little display!
Mr Bubbles

Post by Mr Bubbles »

1. Remus West
2. msteelers
3. chaosraven
9. pr0ner
Ok can we start talking stratagy now... Im thinking this is my list of possible suspects.
Bertrand Russell
Cesare

Post by Cesare »

in
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Hey test away, then you don't have to test me again for the rest of the game... :twisted:
"Where are you off to?"

Cesare

Post by Cesare »

1=2=4=8=16=game?
I think it has to be (potentially) exponential, otherwise the last scientist would automatically win.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Cesare's Divine Spark wrote:

1=2=4=8=16=game?
I think it has to be (potentially) exponential, otherwise the last scientist would automatically win.
Yeah, I'm not seeing the endgame as being enjoyable under the current rules (as I understand them).

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I think this needs to be explained better:
* The scientists can test two people per day for free. (This is the synthesised test-serum)
* If you get a Thing with the second of your Tests, you can test again. (The first batch of test-serum causes caustic damage to the THing making his corpse unsalvagble. Or something.)
* If you get a Thing on the third test, you can test again, and so on ad infinitum.
Hodor.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

1=2=4=8=16=game?
But there's a vote for who to test, isn't there?

"Undiscovered things still get to vote on the testing."

So in actuality once the things outnumber the scientists the game is over just like the other WW games.

As things are destroyed, the number of things is reduced, but adds one per day.
"Where are you off to?"

Remus West

Post by Remus West »

1=2=4=8=16=game?
No, because as soon as the Things = the Scientist the game ends. 5 things, 5 scientists = thing victory. I do think folks are right about there being some kinks here but I think we can work them out through play.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Oh, since we are doing two tests a day, do we get to see the results of the first test before doing the second?
Padre

Post by Padre »

Cesare's Divine Spark wrote:I think it has to be (potentially) exponential, otherwise the last scientist would automatically win.
No.

The Things convert one person per night. Once the number of Things is equal to the number of Scientists, the Things win. I think I missed that bit in the rules (it is standard practice in Werewolf), so I'll add it in. But there won't be a situation where there's one scientist who can't miss with his tests.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

No roles, no purchase.
Orinoco

Post by Orinoco »

In!
Padre

Post by Padre »

The Meal wrote: Yeah, I'm not seeing the endgame as being enjoyable under the current rules (as I understand them).
It works like this:

If the scientists are tseting the worng people, the number of THings will gradually increase, and if they reach ten Things they win.

Hopefully you'll get some tests right - that will be the only way the population is ever reduced in this game.

Killing a Thing is a (very slightly) mixed blessing, for while it brings the number of Things down, it also reduces the number of Things required in order for the Things to win the game.

Does that help?
Padre

Post by Padre »

pr0ner wrote:I think this needs to be explained better:
Ok, how's this:

You get two tests free.

The first test, either you get a Thing (and it dies) or you don't (and the innocent person lives).

If on the second or any subsequent Test you Test a Thing, it dies and you get to Test again. If you get an innocent, then he lives and the Night phase begins immediately.

Better?
Trikane

Post by Trikane »

I think I have lurked though enough of these games to where I get the idea. Count me in :)
Padre

Post by Padre »

Remus West wrote:Oh, since we are doing two tests a day, do we get to see the results of the first test before doing the second?
Yes. OYu get the result of all tests immediately (as soon as there is a majority vote to test that person). Once their test is complete, you have a second vote for the second Test. Should this second Test get a Thing, then you may Test again, and if you keep getting Things you keep Testing until you finally hit an innocent.
Orinoco

Post by Orinoco »

Grundbegriff wrote:No roles, no purchase.
Where's your game? Remember I get first dibs, because nasty evil Remus killed the guy that tried to save him!!! :twisted:
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Orinoco wrote:
Where's your game? Remember I get first dibs, because nasty evil Remus killed the guy that tried to save him!!! :twisted:
:cry:
Mr Bubbles

Post by Mr Bubbles »

Orinoco wrote:
I thought that worked out great!
Bertrand Russell
Crux

Post by Crux »

In.
If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit - Mitch Hedberg
Padre

Post by Padre »

Hah!

FOr the record, the reasons there aren't any extra roles in this game are:

1) Since the rules-set is fairly radically different to the norm I didn't want to mess with it too much;

2) The changing nature of the sides (people are converted from the innocent side to the Thing side) would make certain roles problematic, others near-useless and would also cause problems as to whther Thing'ed people with roles retained their powers afteward.

So we'll see how this goes first, and then maybe there'll be room for extra craziness next time.