Does BestBuy Still Use Gamer'sGiftCards?

The walrus awaits.

Moderator: The Preacher

JonathanStrange

Does BestBuy Still Use Gamer'sGiftCards?

Post by JonathanStrange »

I've been a regular user of BestBuy's Gamer's Gift Cards since the cards have the extra $5 coupon included but about two weeks ago I stopped seeing any in my 2 local Best Buy's.

Has anyone seen them in their since, say 12/20/04. I last bought a couple on 12/15. The Best Buy clerks simply shrug when I asked them.

I know you guys keep your eyes open and might know sumpun.
Laura

Post by Laura »

I happened to look for some last time I visited Best Buy. There were none to be seen. They must be discontinuing them. I have a couple good till the end of the year.
wankerjr

Post by wankerjr »

They still have them but they are a bit more difficult to find. The ones that expire at the end of 2005 are a light lime green color with a drawn image of a controller in silver. That's the best I can describe it. Found it near the checkout area where the other gift cards were.
Yet another shameless plug..for something
Laura

Post by Laura »

Thanks. I'll look for them now that I know what they look like.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I think they changed how they look. There are now individual GC for each console, but for some reason they've changed it so the game price has to be $29.99 or up on those GC. However, there is still a universal GC for all consoles (the lime green ones mentioned above) and for them to work the game only has to be $19.99. It doesn't really make much sense to me why anyone would get the individual consolse gift cards.
JonathanStrange

Yes, the PC Gamer's Gift Card is the one I'm looking for and I have SEEN it as you've described. It's just that I don't SEE it now. :lol:

However, I'll assume they're still out there as of 12/30/04, hidden under all the new console gift cards, music gift cards, DVD gift cards, regalos de tarjetas, gift gift cards.

I sure am cheap looking for an extra $5 coupon.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Sometimes they're just hard to find, found them in one Best Buy out of two the other day. I bought three, the girl looked at me funny when I put $1.00 on them. :D Picked up a penny in a parking lot today also. ;)
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

em2nought wrote:Sometimes they're just hard to find, found them in one Best Buy out of two the other day. I bought three, the girl looked at me funny when I put $1.00 on them.
Just tell her they are for the strippers at the club.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Rich in KCK

Post by Rich in KCK »

Can someone explain this whole thing to me please. I gather you find one of these gift cards and go up and tell them how much you want on the card then you have them ring up your game as a seperate purchase and use the card towards it. Where does the 5% off come from, is it automatic when using a gamer card or is there a coupon attached to the cardboard thing it comes on?
Powerforward

Post by Powerforward »

Cheapassgamer has a whole thread dedicated to explaining the Gamer Gift Card here: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/ggc

Somewhere there's a webpage with different pictures of the available GGC, but as some other people have said it appears that BB is phasing out some of them. At my local BB, they only have the olds ones that have $5 off coupons on 19.99+ that expire tomorrow and the PS2 5 off 29.99+.
JonathanStrange

They did have some more PC Gamer's Gift Card out today 12/31/04 and each Card had that extra $5 off coupon that expired TODAY so I bought three cards, used them immediately and got for $20 each : Rise of Nations Gold, Farcry and for $15 Homeworld 2. I'm more of a turn-based gamer but these were interesting-sounding games that I'd never ever buy except discounted and/or critically acclaimed.

So I won't be buying anything for 4-5 months but it'd be interesting if they issue NEW Gift Cards with a new deadline. So I'd keep my eyes open.
Laura

Post by Laura »

I tried to redeem a gift card coupon for a PC game today and was refused. I pointed out that it said "software" and that I had used it for that purpose before. They said that the coupon says "videogame software" and that does not mean PC software. When I argued with them, they claimed that that is the manufacturer's definition.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Laura wrote:I tried to redeem a gift card coupon for a PC game today and was refused. I pointed out that it said "software" and that I had used it for that purpose before. They said that the coupon says "videogame software" and that does not mean PC software. When I argued with them, they claimed that that is the manufacturer's definition.
At that point you try a different Best Buy as this one considers you to be a "devil" customer. http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20041108-4382.html :wink:
wankerjr

Post by wankerjr »

JonathanStrange wrote:So I won't be buying anything for 4-5 months but it'd be interesting if they issue NEW Gift Cards with a new deadline. So I'd keep my eyes open.
I posted this a while back but yes the new gamer's gift cards are silver with a console controller drawn in lime green. The new deadline for the $5 coupon is 12/31/05.
Yet another shameless plug..for something