Finally cancelled my City of Heroes account.

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jpinard

Finally cancelled my City of Heroes account.

Post by jpinard »

Maybe I'll revive it when City of Villains is released, but in the meantime, World of Warcraft is about 10x as fun. After hitting level 32, I just got insanely bored with the game...
jaskerr

Post by jaskerr »

Cancelled mine last week. With HL2, Pirates!, TW2005, and a resurgance in Civ 3, I just don't have time to commit to ANY MMO right now.

Maybe when/if I get bored with nothing to play, I'll pick up WoW, but I sure hope it doesn't come to that :wink:
jpinard

Post by jpinard »

Yep, I have lots of other great thing to play as well.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Next time give me your influence first!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
jpinard

Post by jpinard »

hehehe. Should have sold it on eBay :)
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Personally, still going strong. Play with a group of friends a couple of times a week. Looking forward to Issue 3 content.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

hentzau wrote:Personally, still going strong. Play with a group of friends a couple of times a week. Looking forward to Issue 3 content.
Yeah, that looks great doesnt it?

Psyched for CoV too...I think me and my buds are gonna make a medical brigade of villains. Ya know, Dr. Destruction, Nurse Ratchet, Physician of Pain...stuff like that. SHould be a dorked out blast. :D
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Misguided

Post by Misguided »

Sorry you lost interest.
I just hit 42 recently, and I actually think some of the best stuff I've experienced in the game has been since I hit 32 (great story arcs such as Revenant Hero Project and Organ Grinders, portal missions, sewer trial, Numina TF, Malta, Carnival of Shadows, Praetorians (this is a mixed bag of mini-groups with a ton of arch-villains, but some are great), Knives of Artemis, etc).
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

I still think City of Heroes was great. If it held back and stayed in beta and released in November alongside WoW (with the stuff in both content updates)... we'd be talking about CoH vs. WoW.

The "grind" got to me in the end I suppose. I sat there at my desk, level 26 Force Field Defender, with two bubbles filled and a spot of debt. I said to myself, "What do I have to look forward to? At level 27 all my enhancements go splat, so I have to burn a bunch of influence to upgrade those. Plus I get a new slot. ooooo."

But what really killed it was lack of solo-ability. The game is awesome in groups. But when I left the Gone Gold SG died out and I was swilling the random team cesspool. It got to the point where I was basically held hostage by my own missions. I couldn't complete jack and I needed people to group. And I only had an hour to play so I couldn't do a "I scratch your back you scratch mine" arrangment with anybody in regards to missions. So when I got a "Kill 20 x" mission, I went and hit low level mobs because that was all I could handle.

Not to start another one, that's why I like WoW a little more (character customization goes a long way in my mind, so I put CoH and WoW on generally the same footing). If I can't do a mission, I'll do some leather, or skin some stuff, or play in the auction house, or travel to an area where I will eventually do some missions. There's always something to do.

That said, there will be a time with I come back to CoH. Those rat bastards on #GG are really tempting me at this point.
Misguided

Post by Misguided »

SuperHiro wrote:\That said, there will be a time with I come back to CoH. Those rat bastards on #GG are really tempting me at this point.
If there are people out there playing that never joined the Wanderers, I sure as heck wish they would. The numbers have gotten really thin with the departure of several players in the last few weeks. We'd love more company.
morlac

Post by morlac »

I let mine lapse last month in anticipation of the next wave of MMORPGS. I figure when content 3 hits I will have grown weary of one of the recent ones and resub. If not then, I will certainly once COV/PVP hits. I can't wait for some Hero on Hero action :mrgreen: .
Jow

Post by Jow »

Friends of mine bought me this for Christmas, along with a 2-month gift card... primarily so i could play with them. I never would have checked it out on my own (had a "free trial" some weekend over a friend's and it didn't wow me much) but since it was a gift I'm forcing myself to play it during the 3 months I'm active.

The grind is what will probably keep me from renewing after those 3 months. I've already seen how difficult it can be to solo (my char is a tanker, too) and I definitely don't dig the random team bit. Should be entertaining while it lasts...

...although it has me aching to pull out Freedom Force again. :)
jpinard

Post by jpinard »

Freedom Force expansion hits in March I believe, so that'll be great. If CoV were going to hit in the next 2 months I would have kept my account open. But without PvP is gets repetitive fast.
Misguided

Post by Misguided »

Jow wrote:Friends of mine bought me this for Christmas, along with a 2-month gift card... primarily so i could play with them. I never would have checked it out on my own (had a "free trial" some weekend over a friend's and it didn't wow me much) but since it was a gift I'm forcing myself to play it during the 3 months I'm active.

The grind is what will probably keep me from renewing after those 3 months. I've already seen how difficult it can be to solo (my char is a tanker, too) and I definitely don't dig the random team bit. Should be entertaining while it lasts...

...although it has me aching to pull out Freedom Force again. :)
If you like melee types and would like to solo, consider a scrapper. Scrappers have nice damage mitigation (like tankers) but do more damage. They are considered by many to be the best solo AT (broadly speaking and bearing all levels of the game in mind).

I don't know what server your friends are on, but if it happens to be Virtue, please send me a tell (Inspectre).

Incidentally, I think we'll be seeing PvP relatively soon...Issue 3 contans signs and such indicating where the arenas are going to be. Either they plan to have it in shortly or they are just teasing us.
Jow

Post by Jow »

It is indeed Virtue. I've got a level 9 natural tanker in there right now, but might consider making a scrapper considering what you've said. Grouping is fun, but I'm much more of a solo typa guy in MMORPGs.
Vidiot

Post by Vidiot »

Funny because #gonegold just started a CoH Revival.
Misguided

Post by Misguided »

Jow wrote:It is indeed Virtue. I've got a level 9 natural tanker in there right now, but might consider making a scrapper considering what you've said. Grouping is fun, but I'm much more of a solo typa guy in MMORPGs.
Scrappers are THE solo AT, though they can rock in groups as well. Tankers can solo due to theiir resilience, but at a slower rate of speed. Blasters are amazing soloers at the low levels, but later on they can have a great deal of difficulty.

Be aware that there are some big changes coming to how tankers play in Issue 3. They are going to do more damage, have a taunt built in to all their attacks, and their single target taunt is now an area target (like the power pool Provoke power). However, the Invuln is having endurance problems on test (I don't think they are done tweaking). Scrappers are also being affected by all of this, but a gtood scrapper build will still have no trouble soloing.

You can solo in the game to a point. There is a fair bit of content designed for group play though. The task forces require teams. Many of the upper level missions have arch villains that typically require multiple people. I suggest you give grouping a shot. I've been part of some absolutely amazing group brawls that never would have happened fighting solo, because of the sheer number of opponents involved...but that's my preference (i.e. grouping).
Misguided

Post by Misguided »

Vidiot wrote:Funny because #gonegold just started a CoH Revival.
Vidiot, I don't use IRC. Could you please ask them to contact Inspectre on Virtue?
Orpheo

Post by Orpheo »

Misguided, we already have two groups formed on Virtue (one still going from a few months ago, and one new one), but you and whoever else from the boards are free to join either of them.
Orpheo

Post by Orpheo »

Misguided wrote:
Be aware that there are some big changes coming to how tankers play in Issue 3. They are going to do more damage, have a taunt built in to all their attacks, and their single target taunt is now an area target (like the power pool Provoke power). However, the Invuln is having endurance problems on test (I don't think they are done tweaking). Scrappers are also being affected by all of this, but a gtood scrapper build will still have no trouble soloing.
Bah, I'll have to respec. I took and use both Taunt and Provoke. I'll have to ditch Provoke.

How do I respec, anyway? Where do you get the quest? What level do you have to be? I'm 23.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

I do believe that level 23 is the level you need to reach before you can respec. Unfortunately, I don't know where. Ask around in game, someone's bound to know.
gellar

Post by gellar »

Orpheo wrote:Misguided, we already have two groups formed on Virtue (one still going from a few months ago, and one new one), but you and whoever else from the boards are free to join either of them.
The HANGOVER OF JUSTICE lives again!
OMGHI2U
"I guess we're all retarded except you Gellar." - Kobra
"I'm already doomed to the seventh level of hell. If you think I wouldn't kill a person of my choosing for $50 mil, you obviously have no clue just how expensive my taste in shoes really is." - setaside
#gonegold brutesquad
Misguided

Post by Misguided »

Never fear. EVERY character should be getting a free respec when Issue 3 goes live. The other way to get a respec is to do the Terra Volta Trial, which is a great deal of fun, but a challenge. Minimum level is 24. There are three different versions and the minimum levels for versions 2 and 3 are 34 and 44.
Orpheo wrote:
Misguided wrote:
Bah, I'll have to respec. I took and use both Taunt and Provoke. I'll have to ditch Provoke.

How do I respec, anyway? Where do you get the quest? What level do you have to be? I'm 23.
Misguided

Post by Misguided »

Orpheo wrote:Misguided, we already have two groups formed on Virtue (one still going from a few months ago, and one new one), but you and whoever else from the boards are free to join either of them.
What are the groups and what are some character names?
At the very least we can hook up when global chat comes online.
Orpheo

Post by Orpheo »

Here's what I can think of off the top of my head

The Hangover of Justice (the old group)
--------
Smirnoff
Stella Artois
Swill
Delerium Tremen
Absolut Power

The Octopus Overlords (the new group)
--------
Concrete Celt
Man From Space

I'm sure people I forgot will chime in with their names.
gellar

Post by gellar »

Orpheo wrote:
The Hangover of Justice (the old group)
--------
Smirnoff
Stella Artois
Swill
Delerium Tremen
Absolut Power

The Octopus Overlords (the new group)
--------
Concrete Celt
Man From Space
Burrito Grande
Added my OO guy.

gellar
OMGHI2U
"I'm already doomed to the seventh level of hell. If you think I wouldn't kill a person of my choosing for $50 mil, you obviously have no clue just how expensive my taste in shoes really is." - setaside
#gonegold brutesquad
Kaigen

Post by Kaigen »

Black Arachnid is also part of OO.

And Dirty Olde Wino is in the Hangover.
End of line.
Misguided

Post by Misguided »

When do you guys play? I just added all of these to my friends list and none are online (almost 9pm eastern)
gellar

Post by gellar »

Misguided wrote:When do you guys play? I just added all of these to my friends list and none are online (almost 9pm eastern)
I know at least Orf, Kaigen, Noun, Vid and I are PST guys. Kaigen is a student so he plays all the time, but Orf and I actually have jobs. My job makes me stay longer, so he plays more than I do. :(

gellar
OMGHI2U
#gonegold brutesquad
Kaigen

Post by Kaigen »

Heh. I won't be playing as much once school starts back up.
End of line.
Misguided

Post by Misguided »

gellar wrote:I know at least Orf, Kaigen, Noun, Vid and I are PST guys.
That would help explain it. I did talk to a couple of folks not long after I posted the question. After that I was a little busy getting slaughtered in the Eden trial
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

I actually had lots of good luck with random groups in CoH - I was consistently surprised. I just don't like games with grinds - it was too long between new shiny trinkets for me.
Jow

Post by Jow »

I'm EST so probably on some of the same times. Only have two characters right now, Questioner and Granitar.
infoghost

Post by infoghost »

I had a great time playing COH over the last few months.

However, after getting WOW, there is no possible way I could go back, I don't think. It would just seem so...basic and boring.

Still, my favorite MMO until WOW got me.
noun

Post by noun »

I'm having great fun with it - maybe too much fun. Worlds of Warcraft is reputed to be a better game in many respects, but frankly, I'm just about sick of anything even remotely fantasy related. CoH is filling my non-fantasy RPG need just fine.

Be on the lookout for Delerium Tremen, level 13 Mutation Controller/Healer. You never know what that crazy guy might do next...
jpinard

Post by jpinard »

infoghost wrote:I had a great time playing COH over the last few months.

However, after getting WOW, there is no possible way I could go back, I don't think. It would just seem so...basic and boring.

Still, my favorite MMO until WOW got me.
Yep, me too...
Misguided

Post by Misguided »

You folks have a vastly different definition of boring than I do, but it's good we all have something that fills the bill.

DT once you nab a travel power at 14, maybe we could hook up for some missions and I can show you some things to look forward to later in your career.
Jow

Post by Jow »

I dunno if I'd call it boring just yet, but it's definitely a lot more frustrating than Wow was. I really, really don't like the Hollows and having to struggle through the quests in that zone every time you create a new character is incredibly... unfun. I'm also accustomed to being able to solo with relative ease in WoW, only to enter CoH and get knocked on my ass with every character except my tanker. I've seen that team play can be enjoyable, but there are plenty of times I don't want to depend on other people or just wanna adventure by myself, and most of the time (at least from what I've seen in the Hollows) you can't DO that.
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

City of Heroes beats WoW in character customization. In WoW I'm always looking for a cool set of pants or gloves in a feeble attempt to make my character "look cool". But in CoH, I already look cool.

Plus you tend to run into clones of yourself in WoW (esspecially if you play the more common races). In CoH that has never happened. I would never take a screenshot of my WoW character and make an avatar out of him.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Jow wrote:I dunno if I'd call it boring just yet, but it's definitely a lot more frustrating than Wow was. I really, really don't like the Hollows and having to struggle through the quests in that zone every time you create a new character is incredibly... unfun. I'm also accustomed to being able to solo with relative ease in WoW, only to enter CoH and get knocked on my ass with every character except my tanker. I've seen that team play can be enjoyable, but there are plenty of times I don't want to depend on other people or just wanna adventure by myself, and most of the time (at least from what I've seen in the Hollows) you can't DO that.
I really think it depends on what character you pick. And you absolutely have to change your playing / combat style for each one. I have 7 characters and my online friends have 7 or so each. Every time we mix and match new pairs or teams, it takes us a bit to get used to a new combat strategy.

That is the one thing I really like about this game. While you can play the same mission over and over, the strategy changes based on your character and/or team skills.

I never felt that way in SWG.
Maybe next year, maybe no go