tesla motors

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

telcta

Re: tesla motors

Post by telcta »

I read earlier there's an update to view the cameras live when Sentry Mode is active. I don't have that with the FSD beta as I assume I'm on a different branch of the software. If anybody has that, I'd be curious to know what that's like.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

telcta wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:35 pm I read earlier there's an update to view the cameras live when Sentry Mode is active. I don't have that with the FSD beta as I assume I'm on a different branch of the software. If anybody has that, I'd be curious to know what that's like.
That's 2021.36.8, and appears to only be in limited release right now. Also required iOS at this point.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I finally got my VIN today (day 105!). But what can only be a cosmic joke on me, the delivery is presently scheduled for the 3 days I will be in California (ironically a couple of miles from Fremont). I'm hoping to get a day or two wiggle room on either end of the date range to figure this out.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Hopefully you can get that scooted by a few days, Malchior.

In other news, non-Tesla access to Superchargers begins today via a small pilot in the Netherlands.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

And likely in line with the prior announcement, Tesla is now selling a J1772 home EVSE. I'm not sure why they didn't make this 48A, but whatever.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Just for grins, I went on Tesla's website to price out a couple of Model 3's. The AWD versions have an estimated delivery date of December. The RWD version? JUNE. That is a *little* ridiculous, especially when I could go to Gaithersburg, MD today and drive home in a Mach-E if I really wanted.
Hodor.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:07 pm Just for grins, I went on Tesla's website to price out a couple of Model 3's. The AWD versions have an estimated delivery date of December. The RWD version? JUNE. That is a *little* ridiculous, especially when I could go to Gaithersburg, MD today and drive home in a Mach-E if I really wanted.
It is ridiculous, across the board, esp with all the recent price increases.

The difference, of course, being that you could do that with a Mach-E, but you and 10,000 of your closest friends could not. 1,578 Mach-Es were sold in the US in September. 5,000 and change were produced for global sale in Sept. Model Y is selling... rather more than that.
stessier

Post by stessier »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:07 pm That is a *little* ridiculous, especially when I could go to Gaithersburg, MD today and drive home in a Mach-E if I really wanted.
Are you sure? If so, it must be the Select with standard range.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

stessier wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:13 pm
pr0ner wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:07 pm That is a *little* ridiculous, especially when I could go to Gaithersburg, MD today and drive home in a Mach-E if I really wanted.
Yeah, I'm looking at a page on Sheehy Ford in Springfield's site that says "In stock at Sheehy Ford of Gaithersburg". It's the Select. There are also several Selects and Premiums available used on Carvana's website (though all but 1 are in the process of being purchased).

There is also GT version available just outside of Richmond.
Hodor.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:12 pm
pr0ner wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:07 pm Just for grins, I went on Tesla's website to price out a couple of Model 3's. The AWD versions have an estimated delivery date of December. The RWD version? JUNE. That is a *little* ridiculous, especially when I could go to Gaithersburg, MD today and drive home in a Mach-E if I really wanted.
It is ridiculous, across the board, esp with all the recent price increases.

The difference, of course, being that you could do that with a Mach-E, but you and 10,000 of your closest friends could not. 1,578 Mach-Es were sold in the US in September. 5,000 and change were produced for global sale in Sept. Model Y is selling... rather more than that.
Oh, it's definitely going to take Ford a while to catch up, but since their new CEO seems all in on electrics, it may not be a matter of if, but when.
Hodor.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:24 pmOh, it's definitely going to take Ford a while to catch up, but since their new CEO seems all in on electrics, it may not be a matter of if, but when.
I sure hope so, and agree that Farley has been a big positive for Ford.
stessier

Post by stessier »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:23 pm
stessier wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:13 pm
Yeah, I'm looking at a page on Sheehy Ford in Springfield's site that says "In stock at Sheehy Ford of Gaithersburg". It's the Select. There are also several Selects and Premiums available used on Carvana's website (though all but 1 are in the process of being purchased).

There is also GT version available just outside of Richmond.
Don't trust the websites. They show anything that hits a dealer as In Stock even if it is ordered for someone else and just waiting for them to come in and sign the papers. From what I've read, there hasn't been a GT made that wasn't a pre-order. It's certainly possible someone cancelled an order and the car is really there, but from the message boards where people are searching for these cars every day, it is the exception and not the rule. Selects, though, seem to have been made on spec and definitely are available - but no one wants them. :)

I now return you to your regularly scheduled Tesla talk. :)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Tesla finally adds waypoint navigation.

https://electrek.co/2021/11/11/tesla-re ... avigation/

Perhaps the biggest longstanding 'wait, it doesn't already do that?' head-scratcher.
malchior

Post by malchior »

In other news, I'm finally scheduled to get my Model Y on Monday. The last couple of days have been a sort of silly 'who's on first routine' with the delivery team. Their process...is convoluted to say the least. I'm ready for this to be over. At least I got enough heads up to move my travel plans around a bit. I take delivery and then pretty much immediately get on a plane back out to Fremont - though I might push to Tuesday. Ugh. I get to drive it home and that's about it. Lol.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Kind of funny that you have to leave it and head out to... Fremont. Where it was made.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:42 pm Kind of funny that you have to leave it and head out to... Fremont. Where it was made.
Exactly. I was there last week and was like...in a perfect world I'd just grab it there and drive it back. No such luck. It has been on a train the whole time.
malchior

Post by malchior »

People are reporting deliveries with missing usb ports.

I'm not super concerned about my Monday delivery but I am preparing to be annoyed. Especially after I spent nearly an hour on the phone today because they keep asking me for final payment and I have a negative balance...lol.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I finally got the Tesla! I had zero issues with delivery. I didn't bring calipers to measure panel gaps but they looked pretty good to the naked eye. I had USB ports, paint was flawless, the interior was clean, etc. Apparently that USB issue I mentioned above is cropping up only in small batches of cars produced about a week after mine so far.

One interesting thing is that I did get into a conversation with the delivery guy and he casually said that the line in NJ is extremely backed up. We got there after I remarked that I expected more people since I was the only person picking up. He said something to the effect that deliveries there had really slowed down. They had less than 10 this week! I said I thought there'd be a ton of orders because of the NJ rebate and he said...there are. They are just trickling in.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Glad to hear that yours was one of the large majority of problem-free deliveries. Did you wind up getting your charging situation all figured out?
malchior

Post by malchior »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:17 pm Glad to hear that yours was one of the large majority of problem-free deliveries. Did you wind up getting your charging situation all figured out?
Yeah I go that done in August/September in line with my original EDD. Wall charger Gen 3. Unfortunately I got the 18' literally days before they silently switched it to 24 feet. Meh. We unsuccessfully tried to entice some friends to come over and test it over the last couple of months so I was happy it worked when I plugged it in. The electrician did good work as there was absolutely no voltage drop and it ran the full 48As out.

Tomorrow I have to fly out to CA so I'll max it, drive out to JFK, maybe top it at a super charger there and then see how it goes. It's only a few days but combo of brand new car and no experience makes this a "fun" experiment.

One other note, I had never driven one but quickly adapted to one pedal driving. It's really good. Exceptional really. I made a run to Lowes to get a snow blower (this was planned and required the Model Y) and to/from I managed to net around 250 Wh/mile...so pretty overjoyed with the efficiency I saw right off the bat.
Last edited by malchior on Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

For a few days you'll be fine either way, but I'd recommend turning Sentry off if you're not plugged in and it's just gonna sit for days.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:11 pm For a few days you'll be fine either way, but I'd recommend turning Sentry off if you're not plugged in and it's just gonna sit for days.
Yep no Sentry and obviously no cabin overheat worries. I want to try TeslaFi but I hear it wakes the car up a lot. I'll probably get into that when I have more confidence.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

malchior wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:12 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:11 pm For a few days you'll be fine either way, but I'd recommend turning Sentry off if you're not plugged in and it's just gonna sit for days.
Yep no Sentry and obviously no cabin overheat worries. I want to try TeslaFi but I hear it wakes the car up a lot. I'll probably get into that when I have more confidence.
Cabin overheat will turn itself off after several hours; you shouldn't have to worry about that. Sentry stays on until you hit a relatively low range %.

TeslaFi will not wake the car if it's set up properly; I use it on multiple vehicles with no (significant) ill effects on range. The only impact is that it can slow the car's process to sleep initially, but TeslaFi settings allow you to specify after how long you'd like the car to be able to sleep, an overnight period where it doesn't attempt to log at all, etc. It's a balance between backing off prematurely and missing potential short trips vs reduced impact on sleep schedule.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:17 pmTeslaFi will not wake the car if it's set up properly; I use it on multiple vehicles with no (significant) ill effects on range. The only impact is that it can slow the car's process to sleep initially, but TeslaFi settings allow you to specify after how long you'd like the car to be able to sleep, an overnight period where it doesn't attempt to log at all, etc. It's a balance between backing off prematurely and missing potential short trips vs reduced impact on sleep schedule.
Yeah I yelled YOLO and set it up. I did a last minute shopping trip for my flight tomorrow and marveled at the cool data produced. Very neat.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

To tie TeslaFi back to your airport parking concern--TeslaFi tells me our X was last plugged in 14 days ago. Still at 46%. Granted it hasn't been driven a ton over that span, but still. A few days shouldn't concern you.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:15 pm To tie TeslaFi back to your airport parking concern--TeslaFi tells me our X was last plugged in 14 days ago. Still at 46%. Granted it hasn't been driven a ton over that span, but still. A few days shouldn't concern you.
That's tracks but I've had it about 10 hours. :)

That said I did my shopping sprint, returned home, and it is already charged back up to pre-drive in less than a half hour. And that was more driving than I typically do in a half-week. The runs to the airport are probably the big driving trips for the rest of the year. I think it'll align well with what I expected based on my driving habits.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Cool. I'll be curious to hear your cold-weather thoughts once you have some, since I ain't got no heat pumps in mine.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:22 pm Cool. I'll be curious to hear your cold-weather thoughts once you have some, since I ain't got no heat pumps in mine.
Yeah I'm actually secretly hoping for a colder than -10C (14F) day because that's the line between some of the more interesting heat pump/octovalve modes. With the downside being that it'll be 14 degrees out. :)
Last edited by malchior on Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I almost feel guilty after reading this thread, but I ordered and received a Model S that was delivered right when promised. They parked it in front of my house with no hassle. Maybe they are in lower demand now with other models coming online. I love the 4 WD and raw power, but good news for Model 3 owners - in many ways I prefer driving the Model 3:

I miss the drive and turn signal control knob. The only way you can go forward or back on the Model S is on the touch screen, so if that goes down you are fukt.

I despise the steering yoke. You have to turn it 180 degrees to make a turn, making it difficult (and dangerous) to reach the controls on it.

But bitching aside it is a ludicrous beast.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Congrats. There is a backup drive mode selector on the phone charging base, but I also ain't got one of those, so I don't have specifics on how to invoke it. (Some form of tap in the right spot, IIRC)
malchior

Post by malchior »

Yeah I couldn't justify the S plus I really needed it for the hatchback/cargo features. Still it's pretty obvious reading forums that Tesla has been prioritizing the high profit cars to some extent. The wait for a Model Y P is drastically shorter for instance. Being in California helps a lot also. A at home delivery isn't even available here. It is like the Tesla hinter lands.

One of the local service centers got destroyed in a storm (Paramus, NJ) which made this worse. But as I found out today NJ is apparently backed up badly. My guess is logistics issues - they ship them out by train and then need to transition to local transport. Trains are actually in a bad place too due to shortages of engineers so...everything sucks for delivering the cars out here. Still it could be worse. I know someone from Rochester who is coming out to Brooklyn to take delivery. That's a 6 hour drive back. Yikes.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:43 pm Congrats. There is a backup drive mode selector on the phone charging base, but I also ain't got one of those, so I don't have specifics on how to invoke it. (Some form of tap in the right spot, IIRC)
That is fantastic news and I will look it up. I thought that design choice made no sense. Woe be unto me to RTFM. :D
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I found it in the owners manual, but typical Musk it was not intuitive. The P R N D selections are just below where you place the key card. But to activate them you have to press and briefly hold the two rotating buttons on the steering yoke (the ones you use to reset the touch screen). It works, and I am tempted to always use them if it will let me. Then hilariously I could find no way to exit the owners manual. I ended up calling up music streaming to make it go away.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
telcta

Post by telcta »

Congrats on your cars Jaymann and malchior. After three years, I still look forward to getting in the car and going for a drive. Like Zaxxon, I have no heat pump and really notice a drop in efficiency during the winter. The lifetime energy consumption is about 235 Wh/mi.

At one of the libraries where I charge, coming down from the mountain I can almost make it all the way home without using any energy.

Enlarge Image

I continue to test FSD and have 10.4 which includes the Sentry Mode live camera view that works really well. It shows up under Controls below the Sentry Mode toggle, tapping the Live Camera link shows an outline of the car with the 4 cameras to choose from. The fps is a little low so the video is choppy but it's pretty darn cool to look around your car.

Some observations:
- Does not recognize a stopped school bus with its lights on or emergency vehicles that I've noticed
- Impresses the hell out of me on a few complex intersections
- Scares the crap out of me on some normal, basic maneuvers and continues to make me a little car sick with the phantom braking
- I figured out how to turn off the auto high-beams during FSD (it does reset each time FSD is turned back on)
- With auto-pilot, if you're not on the highway the speed is capped at +5mph. But you can go over that if FSD is engaged.
- The windshield wipers will come on by itself and spray washer fluid (after a brief on-screen message) to clean the windshield where the camera is. I think this may be a normal feature if on auto-pilot but I just noticed it now.

One thing that's consistent and extremely dangerous is the car wanting to go around a stopped vehicle. Usually this is fine but twice it tried to go around a truck that's sitting at a traffic light. The car started to go across the double yellow line before I took over. From what I can tell, it happens when I'm sitting behind a large vehicle (school bus or an oil truck) and the car cannot see the traffic light. I would think based on the nav data that it knows I'm at an controlled intersection and just wait. I reported this to Tesla along with the autopilot snapshot data and video.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jeez, I would be white knuckled the whole time FSD was engaged. You sir, are a true pioneer.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yeah, I'm in no hurry to get testing.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I can't imagine testing FSD right now.

I tried TACC on the way to JFK and it mostly worked. No phantom braking but it occasionally just couldn't maintain the lanes on what I thought were very gentle curves and the roads (Verazzano Bridge and Belt Parkway) are very well marked.

I did try it first last night on US 1 in NJ which was a little congested and it was fine but the road in that section is relatively straight. Again no braking. My wife was not a fan of the oh God the world is ending beeping when one guy drifted into the lane momentarily. They were about 50 feet ahead and started braking hard for no goddamn reason.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Do you mean TACC, or Autopilot. TACC won't maintain lanes.
malchior

Post by malchior »

The question makes it clear they are different. :)

I tried both. Using autopilot I had to take over two times as it didn't take the curve. Or...maybe my expectation of its reactivity is not calibrated. This is NYC traffic so taking no chances.
telcta

Post by telcta »

As long as the steering wheel icon is blue, it should maintain lanes just fine through any curve. You may have had just the cruise control portion active (the speed limit indicator is blue).

Sometimes it’s a little too fast for me through an off-ramp and it may hug the outside line but it does a good job. If the car hasn’t completed camera calibration you won’t be able to engage auto pilot and would give you a warning.