tesla motors

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

DOS=HIGH

Re: tesla motors

Post by DOS=HIGH »

Don't know about Colorado but in North Carolina, they actually check the window tinting during the yearly inspection. My RV was 3% over the legal limit so they wouldn't allow me to register it unless I had the tinting removed. I had also had the front windshield slightly tinted which they don't allow past the top 4". Fortunately I was just about to move to Arizona full-time so it wasn't a big deal.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I've been in Colorado more than a decade, and have had exactly one inspection--for exhaust.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

It's not enforced here (though I'm sure if you were already in a LEO's attention span, they could choose to select too-much-tint as an add-on). The installer talked me out of the windshield tint (unlike other windows, it wouldn't be covered by insurance if something were to happen to it, also installation requires a significant amount of water, typically repelled by windshield coatings, which could potentially run into base-of-windshield sensors). I figure if he's going to talk customer *out* of purchasing one of his products, I'd listen. (I was pretty lukewarm on windshield tint in the first place, and it's always possible to change my mind down the road).
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

So I picked up my car from the PPF/tint place last night. Hard to say how quality of a job was done as we picked it up in inclement weather (my wife had to drop me off, and it was about a 2.5 hour round trip in cold weather and heavy snow – thanks MHS!). The drive home was surprisingly good efficiency considering the conditions:
Enlarge Image
(Still on the Teslafi trial, but I'm 99% certain I'll be paying for it by the year, as it is basically an automatic, electronic version of the paper log I'd keep in my primary ICE vehicles.)

I also ordered the Automatic Garage Opener which I'll have to have installed once it arrives. After tomorrow's tire installation (the only reason I'm driving into work tomorrow, as I'm on pseudo not-going-into-work-just-to-catch-omicron watch when there's no hardware for me to be testing...) I'm one good washing away from Final Form Fotos.

I will say that had I not ordered dedicated snow tires before last night's adventure driving home in poor conditions, I'd have been much less likely to go in that direction. The Satellite of Love was very steady on her feet through the chilly conditions. I was able to break free when I absolutely tried (and I watched other drivers, including 4WD pick-ups, obviously breaking free significantly when times were *not* appropriate for such shenanigans), but other than that the AWD (and 4250+ lbf of normal force traction) was really confidence inspiring.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

The Meal wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:41 pm I will say that had I not ordered dedicated snow tires before last night's adventure driving home in poor conditions, I'd have been much less likely to go in that direction. The Satellite of Love was very steady on her feet through the chilly conditions. I was able to break free when I absolutely tried (and I watched other drivers, including 4WD pick-ups, obviously breaking free significantly when times were *not* appropriate for such shenanigans), but other than that the AWD (and 4250+ lbf of normal force traction) was really confidence inspiring.
I think you'd still benefit from the additional grip on any steep inclines where that extra weight might be less of a benefit (not actually doing the math there, does it ever reasonably become a detriment?).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

We've got winters on our 3 and not on our X, both AWD. The winters definitely help, but Meal's right that even on normal tires these things are beasts.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Yeah when Texas had their winter fun last Feb, I was driving my wife to work in my RWD 3 and it was rock solid through the snow and slush. AWD would be that much better.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

So ridiculous.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:09 pmSo ridiculous.
Yup - the whole thing is a fiasco IMO. It still rubs me very much the wrong way that Lane Change requires FSD.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

malchior wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:13 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:09 pmSo ridiculous.
Yup - the whole thing is a fiasco IMO. It still rubs me very much the wrong way that Lane Change requires FSD.
Unless you catch one of their promos for EAP. I lucked out with that on our 3.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I dream of catching the EAP options, but can't picture a world where I'm (well, my vehicle) is a FSD owner.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Had to drop my X off at the service center this morning for a 'real' (ie non-in-my-driveway) service visit for the first time in a long time. (Windshield replacement due to a major crack developed from taking a highway hit from a rock, plus a couple of service bulletins I'd been pushing off for awhile.) I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the experience after hearing horror stories lately.

-Previously had communicated via the app's chat that I'd really prefer a loaner vs Uber credits since I have kids to shuttle to/from school
-Arrived this AM and dropped key off in dropbox outside
-Called my service rep, whose extension was sent to me prior
-He pulled out a loaner 3 Performance (with summer tires lolz) and sent me electronic copies of the loaner agreement to e-sign
-I left
-My car shows in service in the app, but I can see status and estimated completion (shooting for tonight, but might be tomorrow due to a tech having called in sick today)
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Have you guys tried out the lane change camera? Maybe it's just me but it feels like no one bothered to test it, or maybe I'm missing something.

The camera picture appears in the bottom left corner of the screen. If I'm holding both hands on the wheel, my arm obscures about 75% of it lol. I tried shifting my seat lower and that helped a bit but all in all it just seemed kind of useless between the small size of the picture and where they chose to locate it.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

rittchard wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:08 pm Have you guys tried out the lane change camera? Maybe it's just me but it feels like no one bothered to test it, or maybe I'm missing something.

The camera picture appears in the bottom left corner of the screen. If I'm holding both hands on the wheel, my arm obscures about 75% of it lol. I tried shifting my seat lower and that helped a bit but all in all it just seemed kind of useless between the small size of the picture and where they chose to locate it.
I use it on our 3 (the non-refresh X can't do it) and agree that it should be on the top corner rather than the bottom. My arm doesn't obscure it, but it's far enough down to be less useful than I think it could be.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Thanks for sharing the windshield replacement experience. I'm :pop: on this sort of thing.

The lane-change camera is mostly significant in that it lets me know my turn indicator is on. That's about its full use for me.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I looked and looked for the setting to turn on the blind spot camera and never found it. I finally just watched a youtube video that showed where the setting is.

I am officially an old.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:15 pm I looked and looked for the setting to turn on the blind spot camera and never found it. I finally just watched a youtube video that showed where the setting is.

I am officially an old.
Just so you don't go printing documents to edit them...
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:mrgreen:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:15 pm I looked and looked for the setting to turn on the blind spot camera and never found it. I finally just watched a youtube video that showed where the setting is.

I am officially an old.
I couldn't find it on my Model S either. but above it says you need FSD to have it, so I gave up. Which is it?

I don't have it. I intuitively went to autopilot, but failed to scroll down. Then I did. The chime option is there but not the camera.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

It isn't intuitive to turn it on. Though I could say that about the entire V11 layout which I would rate as pretty poor overall now that I have fought it a bit. I have found the blind spot feature useful but not as useful as it could be if placed elsewhere (top right sounds good to me)
Last edited by malchior on Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I checked my daughter's Model 3 and she has the blind spot camera. And here I thought the Model S was supposed to be an upgrade.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:32 pm

I am officially an old.
I couldn't find it on my Model S either. but above it says you need FSD to have it, so I gave up. Which is it?

I don't have it. I intuitively went to autopilot, but failed to scroll down. Then I did. The chime option is there but not the camera.
What version are you on? On the Y you don't need FSD FWIW.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

malchior wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:45 pm
Jaymann wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:32 pm

I am officially an old.

What version are you on? On the Y you don't need FSD FWIW.
Thanks for the heads up, I was not on the latest version and had to enable wifi to get it. Installing now then we shall see in about an hour.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

That tracks! V11 coming up.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

malchior wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:08 pm That tracks! V11 coming up.
Installed and the blind spot camera is working!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

And my car is back from service, touchless pickup.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

malchior wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:50 pm It isn't intuitive to turn it on. Though I could say that about the entire V11 layout which I would rate as pretty poor overall now that I have fought it a bit. I have found the blind spot feature useful but not as useful as it could be if placed elsewhere (top right sounds good to me)
Yeah a slightly larger window on the top right would be great. That said, I sat in my friend's new Model Y today and for whatever reason the screen is almost not obscured at all. I think since it sits up higher the relative positioning is better overall, and it may be a slightly larger cabin size? It's really just a matter of an inch or two because the window is so small, but in any case, no part of the entire screen on his Y was obscured by my arm.
malchior

Post by malchior »

That might be it. The screen also might just be positioned differently. I'm left-handed and tend to drive mostly one-handed so I never noticed it. My 'beef' is you have to look down too far IMO to see it. The problem with it and the whole UX (again IMO) is that Tesla designed everything like you wouldn't be engaged in driving a car.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

malchior wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:54 pm That might be it. The screen also might just be positioned differently. I'm left-handed and tend to drive mostly one-handed so I never noticed it. My 'beef' is you have to look down too far IMO to see it. The problem with it and the whole UX (again IMO) is that Tesla designed everything like you wouldn't be engaged in driving a car.
Yeah I normally drive one-handed as well but as you said I still have to look significantly downward to get a good look, and then since it's such a small picture I can't tell what I'm looking at at first glance. I need something that is immediately clear and that I don't need to change my frame of reference so much to be useful. It would be nice if they had allowed you to shift the position of the screen but it looks like you have to purchase an after-market solution for that, and I'm too scared to mess with it.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Tried out the blindspot camera in the wild on my Model S today. It worked as advertised. The window is on the bottom center of the screen, so no visibility issue. It is a little disorienting to drive while looking back. Mostly I got an excellent view of the sidewalk.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Tesla now runs the most productive auto factory in America.

Will be interesting to see how Shanghai/Austin/Berlin do as they continue/start to ramp, given that each is theoretically capable of much more output than Fremont (the focus of the article).
malchior

Post by malchior »

Tesla "recalled" all FSD capable cars over the blazingly idiotic 'rolling stop' feature. They'll be rolling out an update in the next month deleting the "feature".

Also this type of dopey nonsense is why this evergreen line in any story about Tesla is a problem.
Tesla did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I dislike a lot abut FSD and Tesla's approach to it, but this one seems to me to be blown way out of proportion. Human drivers rarely do full stops. FSD doing them makes it less able to fit into normal traffic patterns. FSD offered an option (affirmatively chosen by the human in the car) to drive more like a human, just as it allows for exceeding the speed limit (since not allowing this would cause traffic issues).

Meh.

That said, I understand why the feds aren't happy about it. Until we live in a world where humans generally follow traffic laws or the overwhelming percentage of vehicles are AI-driven, this sort of dichotomy will introduce issues as much as solve them, though.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I prefer coming to a complete stop. Then flooring it like I'm in the Indy 500.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:10 pm I dislike a lot abut FSD and Tesla's approach to it, but this one seems to me to be blown way out of proportion. Human drivers rarely do full stops. FSD doing them makes it less able to fit into normal traffic patterns. FSD offered an option (affirmatively chosen by the human in the car) to drive more like a human, just as it allows for exceeding the speed limit (since not allowing this would cause traffic issues).

Meh.

That said, I understand why the feds aren't happy about it. Until we live in a world where humans generally follow traffic laws or the overwhelming percentage of vehicles are AI-driven, this sort of dichotomy will introduce issues as much as solve them, though.
If that's all true, then the lack of any sort of PR or marketing team to properly position this is still all on Tesla.

But honestly, I'd guess that about 50-70% of drivers do full stops. At least they do when I'm behind them. Even if that number is significantly lower, there are a lot of factors that I wouldn't trust the AI to evaluate at a stop sign. Stopping is the best solution.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:17 pmIf that's all true, then the lack of any sort of PR or marketing team to properly position this is still all on Tesla.
No disagreement there.
But honestly, I'd guess that about 50-70% of drivers do full stops. At least they do when I'm behind them. Even if that number is significantly lower, there are a lot of factors that I wouldn't trust the AI to evaluate at a stop sign. Stopping is the best solution.
Wow. Maybe 10-15% here.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:10 pm Human drivers rarely do full stops.
We don't? We must have more cop paranoia (or cop "they're not quotas. You can't call them quotas") around here than you do. People who do rolling stops in sight of others will be seen as a ticket waiting to happen. Though, at the same time, there are still an insane amount of people who don't use turn signals or accelerate at an amber unto it becoming red. We don't make sense. (of course an insane amount probably equates to well less than 5%)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:21 pm
Wow. Maybe 10-15% here.
I'm thinking it's city driving vs suburban driving.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter