[Poll] Does personality influence your decision to buy?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Does personality influence your decision to buy something you know you'll like?

Of course, I refuse to purchase from jerks!
24%
Sometimes, they really have to tick me off for me to boycott.
39%
Not usually, unless of course they're the worst of the worst.
26%
Never, even the Overlords themselves get my business.
11%

Total votes: 38

Kelric

[Poll] Does personality influence your decision to buy?

Post by Kelric »

If an actor/musician/author/any entertainer isn't the nicest person in the world, does that keep you from buying their stuff even though you know you'd enjoy it?
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

I couldn't care less what someone is like if they produce good entertainment. Unless it's Krazter, he's just too much of an ass for me to listen to his music.
Austin

Post by Austin »

Sometimes.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Depends on the offense.

I stopped drinking Snapple when a certain opinioned blow-hard was advertising for it.

I've been known to not purchase big-ticket items from a store because of rude salespeople.

I boycotted Circuit City for years because of the DIVX fiasco.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Often.
Mr. Sparkle

Post by Mr. Sparkle »

Nope, never.

I don't interact with salespeople very much either.... except to say "I want that"... and even the most inept salseperson can usually handle that one.
My blog: Chimpanzee Tea Party

"Osama Bin Laden can suck my insouciance." -Kung Fu Monkey
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I don't shop at Wal*Mart and CS at Best Buy had me not going there for a long time. I can usually get pretty unhappy with things before I say I have had enough. Once I get to that point it's pretty damned hard to bring me back, even if it were reasonable to do so. ComCast is constantly herassing me with "we are under new management" crap and so is AT&T, but once I (we) have made the commitment to leave, you have gone a step beyond a step to far. I'll never go back to ComCast or AT&T if I am given a reasonble choice for an alternative.

As far as entertainers go. It's hard to say. I scoff at some, but I often already have distaste for them. I don't like Sting's music or his politics, but he seems to be living a life. I love Peter Gabriel's music, but often find his politics offensive, but I still listen. If I found him starting to give a lot of money to charities I found offensive, I might stop listening. I like Harrison Ford's politcs and I haven't seen a movie I've liked him in for longer than I can remember. Sean Penn and Susan Sarandon's politics and attitudes are so offensive to me that it colors my ability to seperate them from their work and I don't watch their work. But Sarandon's hubby, Tim Robbins is right there with them and he doesn't bother me. So I couldn't even begin to tell you what straw breaks the camel's back, but it is definately there.
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

I don't like even going to Walmart anymore. If you don't know what you're talking about and refuse to help me, why should I buy from you? I'm just encouraging your behavior.

If you are spending all your time opining about politics instead of making movies and/or music, which is what I PAY YOU to do, why should I listen to you? Remember, I PAY YOU. You do not pay me. I do not have to listen to you. You must listen to me.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Rich in KCK

Post by Rich in KCK »

If were talking about artists and not salespeople then very rarely do I boycott because of the persons personality. For the most part I really don't pay much attention to what the person is like in real life, it's their artistic work that interests me. What they believe or say has as much bearing on what I think of their work as whoever lives in that gray/blue house a block over that I can see out of my window right now does.
Debris

Post by Debris »

I'm pretty much an a-hole when it comes to service and my buying dollars. If I need help and have to wait a long time for a sales person to show up, I'll walk out and go elsewhere. If I'm at a restaurant and don't get promptly waited on, I'll walk out but not without a few words about customer service for the manager.

Basically, if I'm going to spend my hard earned money, I'm going to spend it with a person who works as hard as I do. Slackers will get nothing out of me.

Other than that, I'm usually a pretty nice guy. :?
Rich in KCK

Post by Rich in KCK »

Eel Snave wrote:If you are spending all your time opining about politics instead of making movies and/or music, which is what I PAY YOU to do, why should I listen to you? Remember, I PAY YOU. You do not pay me. I do not have to listen to you. You must listen to me.
Making movies and/or music is their job. They are entitled to have a life and opinions outside of their job the same as anyone else. Now if you are referring to them trying to promote their own ideals within their work of art then I can see how that is a conflict. I don't really like it when I hear of someone using an awards show as their platform for activism either, in that case they need to seperate what they are getting their award for from their own personal lives and ideals.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Speaking strictly about the arts, I don't care about the artist at all. The work stands on its own.

If you're talking about merchandise or services, different story.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Sure, it influences my decision. Books/music/etc are more intimate than say a DVD player. The person producing it is in some way speaking directly to the viewer/reader/listener. If there is any sincerity and the person is a total shithead, I'd rather not be party. On the other hand, if there is no sincerity like a lot of entertainment today, I guess it doesn't matter.

They don't have to be "nice," but if they're out there playing softball with puppies, no thanks.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Life is too long NOT to hold a grudge. -- Steve Dahl

There is plenty of deserving folks to support; I see no need to waste my time or money on asswipes. I'm pretty tolerant in general, but I loathe ungrateful entertainers - be they pop stars, athletes or opera singers.

In a similar vein, I also refuse to support bad or annoying advertising no matter what the product. I refused to buy Empire Earth, for example, when advertising posters showed a savage chucking a spear at a tank. The poster offended my sensibility - Rick Goodman himself pleaseded with me to give it a shot, but I stuck to my guns and refused. I also stopped shopping at Marshal Fields when they spammed Union Station with their "branding." Last Xmas, I didn't even buy an exclusive CD by my favorite string quartet because it was only sold at Fields.
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

Yes...I refuse to read that site where Jeff V works because it REQUIRES cookies :P

I refuse to buy HL2 because Valve is being arrogant with Steam :D
Name the 3 branches of the US Government: "Judicial, legislative....I can twerk"