Jazz Suggestions

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

NetGuy

Jazz Suggestions

Post by NetGuy »

I borrowed my dads car over the weekend, and one of his presets is a jazz station.

It was pretty good stuff and got me interested in Jazz, so I'm looking for some suggestions.

I've listened to some of the older stuff (Miles Davis, Louis Armstrong) and I wasn't really all that impressed, I seem to like more of the contemporary Jazz style.

So... can anyone offer me any good artists, songs or CD's to check out?
Kratz

Post by Kratz »

The Denison-Kimball Trio
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Not sure how well these really fit into the actual genre, but they may all be close enough for you to enjoy. Most of them are probably more blues than jazz (sorry :) ), but it's still stuff you may like. Always worth a shot. At the least give them a listen off the Amazon streams or elsewhere to see if you like them or not.

Mighty Blue Kings - A lot of times they just get called big band/swing, but that's no true. They're more bluesy-jazz than anything else.

Johnny Hoy and the Bluefish - You can't find them in brick and mortar stores (at least I can't and they're from around Boston) but Amazon carries them. I've only heard their 'Walk The Plank' and 'You Gonna Lose Your Head' albums (I think they have one more) and enjoy 'Walk...' more.

Jonny Lang - More blues-rock than anything, real good guitarist with a good voice in my opinion. Especially when you figure his first CD was released when he was 14.

Jeffrey P. Ross - Another good guitarist and another one that's more blues. Still....check him out.

I've got more stuff I can recommend, including stuff that would actually be called jazz, but I'm deleting my mp3s as I back them up (to re-rip after wiping my hard drive) and don't feel like going through about 300 actual cd-rs right now. :)
tswright

Post by tswright »

My standard recommendation for folks interested in doing the jazz thang is Brad Mehldau. Very cool, very accessible (although he comes off as a bit of a pretentious fop in his liner notes) piano trio jazz. THE ART OF THE TRIO, VOL 3: SONGS is my fave Mehldau record. The album of jazz and pop standards that he released this year, ANYTHING GOES, is also really good.
martindemon

Post by martindemon »

I just began to explore jazz and I found that albums from Rabih Abou-Khalil are awesome, but you must like the arab jazz to appreciate it. It is instrumental and really gives me a good ambiance. There is lots of percussions in it, lots of subtle details, like the cover of his albums.

I like Diana Krall (quite relax) and Patricia Barber (usually very relax.)