Ever cough for 96 straight hours?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

ATB

Ever cough for 96 straight hours?

Post by ATB »

Ever cough so hard you vomit?

Ever go to the doc and he gives you 4 prescipts over a 2 1/2 week time period and none of them help nothing?

Ever go 4 straight days with almost nil sleep because you cough yourself awake when you even start to drift off...

Ever been so miserable that you had to post about it on the Internet?

I have.

Oh the misery.
Why so sensuous?
jpinard

Post by jpinard »

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. Not to diminish you're situation, but I've had that happen for months at a time (this past September-October for instance). But mine is do to chronic infection, Cystic Fibrosis, and asthma.

It IS terribly miserable regarldess. The lack of sleep, the constant hacking, the annoying of the family, the vomiting, the constant headaches, and the general rotteness of it all. It's good to share :D
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Except for posting on the internet about it I have. I've been hospitalized on three different occasions for pneumonia.
The first time I was still smoking cigarettes and coughed up blood too.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Binktopia

Post by Binktopia »

Yes, yes, yes ,yes, yes, yes. :oops: I had the whooping cough when I was in middle school, almost had a fit during the school play. I remember barfing out of my nose :oops: and not sleeping. My tummy got all achy and sore and that was no fun. I cannot shout as loud as I used to be able to because of it. GRRRRRRRR.
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

Welcome back ATB! Sorry you're sick.
Austin

Post by Austin »

Did you make it out to SCC? You better have! Anyway, get well soon and we still have plans to settle. :wink:
Lee

Post by Lee »

Hmm, you must have pissed off someone upstairs.
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

This sounds like a viable weight loss strategy. I need some kind of gimmick.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Not exactly 96 hours, but I was at the opera once, and there was a notice in the program stating the performance was being recorded for TV, so they would appreciate it if everyone could make an extra effort to STFU.

Well, the curtain raised and I instantly began a 5 minute coughing aria that got worse the harder I tried to stop. Everyone within 20 rows was giving me dirty looks, and people were passing cough drops (which just made it worse). Fortunately, I was far enough back so it didn't get picked up by the microphones - I was listening for it when they broadcast it on TV.
jpinard

Post by jpinard »

Hehe, Jeff that's funny!
Zathras

Post by Zathras »

I've been there...

I had problems with industrial asthma a few years ago, and I ended up coughing so hard that I pulled a muscle in my chest. Ouch!
"What good is science if nobody gets hurt!"
jpinard

Post by jpinard »

ZAathras - similar thing to me too, except that I tore the cartidlge in my rib cage, and my risb would separate from my sternum and stick straight out of my chest. Looked like I had a knife sticking from my chest.
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

jpinard wrote: except that I tore the cartidlge in my rib cage, and my risb would separate from my sternum and stick straight out of my chest.
OW.

Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Giles Habibula

Re: Ever cough for 96 straight hours?

Post by Giles Habibula »

ATB wrote:
Ever go 4 straight days with almost nil sleep because you cough yourself awake when you even start to drift off...
Not for many years.
But back in the day, this used to happen to me about once every two years. I can still remember the misery.

Oddly, it went away completely when I started smoking. As did colds and flu and most other illness except kidney stones.

Not that I'm recommending smoking. Probably just a coincidence.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
jpinard

Post by jpinard »

Giles Habibula - you killed off (or put to sleep) the cilia cells in your bronchioles that makes you cough. The lack of sickness is probably coincidental as you usually get sick less frequently as you get older.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

I spent the last several weeks coughing. Coughed so much it gave me the worst headaches I've ever had. Got it 2 days before I was going to go on the Turkey Trot (my first official race). That race was set for November 12. I'm just now getting over it. At least I didn't vomit. Came close but never did. I hope you get better very soon.
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

I once had a 96 hour hernia exam. It was a while afterwards that I found out the guy wasn't really a doctor.

:shock:
18-1™ & 2-0
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

That's how my bronchitis gets, usually it lasts about two weeks and it is seriously aggravated by lying down, so I attempt to sleep on serious medication and sitting up. I try to set aside about 12 hours of sleep a day then so, I can get in maybe fourish. As bad as I get it, my ex- gets (or got, for all I know she takes better care of herself now) it worse and for longer. That damned tickle that makes you eyes water and has you sucking down some sort of coating sugary goodness every fifteen minutes or less is just not a good thing.
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

I caught a really bad cough about ten years ago that had me in tears constantly because my throat hurt so bad. My buddy, whose son was going through the same cold/flu, shared some cough medicine with codeine that made me a very, very happy camper. Finally being able to swallow food again and sleeping through the night was a huge blessing.
Black Lives Matter