[Shaving] Old School vs. The World

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Smoove_B

Re: [Shaving] Old School vs. The World

Post by Smoove_B »

I don't know anything about the Mama Bear glycerine soaps, but I've used Colonel Conk and have a similar opinion - that they just don't lather up the way I like. Apparently that's a "thing" with glycerine soaps and you need to add more water and more brush agitation than you would use with other soaps to get them to lather to similar levels. I *think* Colonel Conk has Rosemary scent, though my online searches weren't helpful.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Glycerine soaps are cheaper than tallow soaps and work up a leather much quicker. The downside is that they don't last as long and the leather, while quite slick, doesn't have the cushion of a tallow soap.

Mama Bear is a good glycerine soap and is probably a slight notch above Conk, which happens to be one of my favorites. I love Conk's scents. I'm using Conk bay rum tonight.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

McNutt wrote:Glycerine soaps are cheaper than tallow soaps and work up a leather much quicker. The downside is that they don't last as long and the leather, while quite slick, doesn't have the cushion of a tallow soap.
That's definitely not true of the aforementioned Provence Sante Green Tea Shaving Soap.

I'm not exaggerating when I say it produces an incredibly rich lather, every bit as good as -- if not better than -- tallowate soaps like Tabac; I'd go as far as saying it's easily one of the very best shaving soaps out there, particularly as a glycerin soap. In fact, because it's also made with karite/shea butter, it provides vastly superior moisturization than Tabac. It's an entirely different experience than using soaps like Col. Conk and Mama Bear; while they're all glycerin soaps, they're not even in the same ballpark.

For the price, you really can't go wrong.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Ok, ok. I'm sold! I'll have to buy a puck.
Anonymous Bosch

McNutt wrote:Ok, ok. I'm sold! I'll have to buy a puck.
Heh, you won't regret it. I've tried countless shaving soaps over the years, and I was seriously impressed with the quality of that particular soap. It's now a staple in my rotation of favourite shaving soaps/creams.

I look forward to your evaluation once you've purchased a puck and tried it out.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Thanks for the recommendations guys!
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

RunningMn9 wrote:
Xmann wrote:My first shave I completely changed my routine and went with suggestions from the so called experts. The shave was very mediocre.
Because I already shave correctly.
You keep saying this, but how do you know this? Is there a shaving guru that inspect you?

I'm sure you shave to how it feels good to you, but it doesn't mean you shave correctly, so relax.

Disposables are too light, clog too fast (you have to rinse them every half pass) and wear out too fast. I can shave with my DE in 5 minutes, with lathering brush and aftershave and get a great shave. You are just jealous is all :wink:

as as far as glycerine soap try QEDusa.com His glycerine soap lathers fantastically and is made with real oils and not synthetics. I have almost all, but my favorites are Sandalwood, Lavender, and Pine and Cedar. Note the serial comma. Pine and cedar is one scent. Last time i ordered I didn't see the sandalwood, which I am dangerously low on and hope he has more soon. He also sells Trumpers and all the other major brands of creams and soaps. I recently tried Cyril R. Salter shave cream and it is great.

I also regularly (nearly every day) use nancy boy shave cream and aftershave . great, non irritating products, their body soap is fantastic, and the customer service is one of the best I have ever encountered. Don't let the name dissuade you. It is good stuff.
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

A nonny mouse wrote:You keep saying this, but how do you know this?
Because I know how to shave. Knowing how to shave isn't some deep, guarded secret wisdom only to be shared with hipsters when they acquire their first badger brush.
A nonny mouse wrote:Disposables are too light, clog too fast (you have to rinse them every half pass) and wear out too fast.
I don't care for disposables either. Assuming that we are talking about the single- or double-bladed cheap disposables. And I'm not a fan of very many cartridge razors either (see the above discussion about my objections to Harry's and DSC). But the Mach 3 and the Fusion are perfectly usable in the hands of someone that knows what they are doing. Are they more expensive than a pile of naked blades? Yes. But many of you spend WAY more on all of your associated shaving supplies.
A nonny mouse wrote:I can shave with my DE in 5 minutes, with lathering brush and aftershave and get a great shave.
That is fantastic for you. Was someone suggesting that you couldn't? My comment about 30 minutes was made in direct reference to the poster who specifically said that he spends 30 minutes shaving. I joke about how long it takes, because I know that most of you are lying just so you don't look ridiculous. :)

Edit to add: So everyone's panties don't get twisted into knots. I'm not critical of using soaps, gels, brushes, safety razors, and hours of your time to shave. You people know your faces, desires, etc. better than me, and I'm comfortable letting you live your lives in the manner that you see fit. My only real objection is to the notion that the alternatives cannot result in similar if not precisely equal results. What I've found over the years is that most people that take the plunge, change the way that they actually shave and stop practicing many of the bad habits that they had when they used their trusty Mach 3. And certainly the Mach 3 is more forgiving of bad habits. But there is nothing that says that you MUST use those bad habits if you are using a Mach 3. You can certainly use better lubricating products (including soaps, gels, badger brushes, etc.) with a Mach 3. You aren't contractually obligated to use low-quality shaving cream in a can. You can use the same good shaving habits you use with a DE safety razor, and all will be well. For most people. If you have actual wire coming out of your face, perhaps you need to do something different. But I'm a normal human and don't have that problem. All I ask is that you recognize that YOU are the anomaly. :)
Last edited by RunningMn9 on Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

RunningMn9 wrote:
A nonny mouse wrote:You keep saying this, but how do you know this?
Because I know how to shave. Knowing how to shave isn't some deep, guarded secret wisdom only to be shared with hipsters when they acquire their first badger brush.
A nonny mouse wrote:Disposables are too light, clog too fast (you have to rinse them every half pass) and wear out too fast.
I don't care for disposables either. Assuming that we are talking about the single- or double-bladed cheap disposables. And I'm not a fan of very many cartridge razors either (see the above discussion about my objections to Harry's and DSC). But the Mach 3 and the Fusion are perfectly usable in the hands of someone that knows what they are doing. Are they more expensive than
A nonny mouse wrote:I can shave with my DE in 5 minutes, with lathering brush and aftershave and get a great shave.
That is fantastic for you. Was someone suggesting that you couldn't? My comment about 30 minutes was made in direct reference to the poster who specifically said that he spends 30 minutes shaving. I joke about how long it takes, because I know that most of you are lying just so you don't look ridiculous. :)
its only 30 minutes for the full body shave :D and , no, you made a general reference that all people that don't do it your way take forever. oh well.

And aren't mach 3 and fusions cartridge razors as well? I've tried the 3, and while better than the bic disposables, it still is too light. eh, personal preference.
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

A nonny mouse wrote:And aren't mach 3 and fusions cartridge razors as well? I've tried the 3, and while better than the bic disposables, it still is too light. eh, personal preference.
Yes, they are cartridge razors. That's why I clarified what I meant by what is commonly called "disposable". Disposables are entirely disposable (handle too). They are about as heavy as a feather. The cartridge razors have non-disposable handles, that are made of considerably denser material and have more weight. But yes, the "weight" of the razor would generally be considered a matter of personal preference.

I apologize if I occasionally bristle (see what I did there?) in the face (and there?) of shaving snobs. :)
Make up bags of change
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

RunningMn9 wrote: I get that if I go pay someone to shave me, they aren't going to whip out a Gillette Mach 3 and some Barbasol canned shaving cream.
Last year my brother-in-law gave me a gift certificate for a professional shave, so I did it the day of his wedding. This was a place that was featured in Playboy magazine for their shaves. And, to my horror, he whipped out a Mach 3. He used the warm shaving cream that barbers use on the back of your neck, wiped it off without shaving, repeated that process of applying and wiping off the cream for some unknown reason, then used oil on my face and proceeded to shave me with a Mach 3. He said they can't use straights for insurance/health reasons.

Let's just say that I was not happy.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

McNutt wrote:
RunningMn9 wrote: I get that if I go pay someone to shave me, they aren't going to whip out a Gillette Mach 3 and some Barbasol canned shaving cream.
Last year my brother-in-law gave me a gift certificate for a professional shave, so I did it the day of his wedding. This was a place that was featured in Playboy magazine for their shaves. And, to my horror, he whipped out a Mach 3. He used the warm shaving cream that barbers use on the back of your neck, wiped it off without shaving, repeated that process of applying and wiping off the cream for some unknown reason, then used oil on my face and proceeded to shave me with a Mach 3. He said they can't use straights for insurance/health reasons.

Let's just say that I was not happy.
lol, now that's funny and sad at the same time
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

McNutt wrote:Last year my brother-in-law gave me a gift certificate for a professional shave, so I did it the day of his wedding. This was a place that was featured in Playboy magazine for their shaves. And, to my horror, he whipped out a Mach 3.
Even I would be horrified about that. A friend of mine occasionally goes to a local barber and gets the shave treatment. I'm pretty sure it's a straight razor though.
Make up bags of change
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:I look forward to your evaluation once you've purchased a puck and tried it out.
I ordered some as well. I still have my favorites but I'm always willing to try others - particularly when they come with strong recommendations.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Most places don't use traditional straight razors now. They often use fake straight razors that have long disposable blades in it. I'm fine with that because it mimics the straights.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Took my time and finished in 18 minutes tonight. That included prep and clean up, 3 passes.

I suspect after a few more shaves I'll be more efficient and have it down near 10 minutes.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Another shaving update...

Tonight was 2 days of scruff.

Total time including prep time was 13 minutes.

I said to hell with all the suggestions on techniques and shaving with the gain or against or what not. And just went with what I've done for years... instead I was using a safety razor.

The end results was a fantastic shave. I've avoided shaving every couple days for the fear of cutting my face to pieces. Nothing further from the truth after tonight's shave.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I need brush suggestions that won't break the bank.

For the last two years, I've been using a $10 Omega boar hair brush. It's actually been fine, but I wouldn't mind upgrading to a decent-to-good badger brush, so I'd like something to put on my wish list for when my wife wants to buy me a present that isn't a video game or board game.

So what's a solid badger brush that's under, say $75?

BTW, anyone who's not using Feather blades is just wrong. They're a bit more expensive, and will slice you to hell if you use them wrong, but MAN, they're just worlds better than any of the other brands I've tried.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Chaz wrote:I need brush suggestions that won't break the bank.

For the last two years, I've been using a $10 Omega boar hair brush. It's actually been fine, but I wouldn't mind upgrading to a decent-to-good badger brush, so I'd like something to put on my wish list for when my wife wants to buy me a present that isn't a video game or board game.

BTW, anyone who's not using Feather blades is just wrong. They're a bit more expensive, and will slice you to hell if you use them wrong, but MAN, they're just worlds better than any of the other brands I've tried.
I was thinking of buying some feather blades once I feel really comfortable with my new razor. I hear they are fantastic.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

They are, but definitely not until you know what you're doing. They're hella sharp. Also more expensive. I think it's around $15 for 100. Still cheap compared to cartridges, but on the expensive side for DE blades.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Chaz wrote:They are, but definitely not until you know what you're doing. They're hella sharp. Also more expensive. I think it's around $15 for 100. Still cheap compared to cartridges, but on the expensive side for DE blades.
Yeah, I'm ok with what I have right now as I learn. But those will be the next I buy for sure.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Anonymous Bosch

So what's a solid badger brush that's under, say $75?.
You'd be hard-pressed to find much better value than the brushes available from Whipped Dog. For less than $75, you can get an amazing Silvertip or High Mountain brush, customised to your needs.

If you're able to bump up your budget and want the absolute dog's bollocks, my favourite all-arounder is the Savile Row 3824 with the 24mm Silvertip knot. If memory serves, it typically costs around $130. As far as I'm concerned though, that has to be a serious contender for the brush to end all brushes.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I think we followed the same path. I was using a ~$10 Omega boar brush and then upgraded to this ~$30 Omega badger brush a few years later. I'd probably still be using it but I was gifted a hand-made brush and handle last year. Of all my shaving accouterments, the brush is something I haven't fiddled with. I mean, I noticed a difference going from $10 to $30, but I'm not entirely convinced I'd see that same result going to $75 and then to $200 (or more). It's possible differences exist, but any time I'm looking to tweak things, the brush isn't part of the equation. Usually it's the blade or the soap/cream combo.

Obligatory badger reference.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I think when I first got into this whole DE/brush shaving thing a few years ago, I found Whipped Dog, but then lost the link. Thanks, that's probably the route I'm going to go. $32 for a silvertip brush and handle seems like a really good deal. Borderline too good to be true.
Anonymous Bosch

Chaz wrote:I think when I first got into this whole DE/brush shaving thing a few years ago, I found Whipped Dog, but then lost the link. Thanks, that's probably the route I'm going to go. $32 for a silvertip brush and handle seems like a really good deal. Borderline too good to be true.
If you opt for one of his Silvertip brushes, bear in mind it's likely to have an almost pillowy softness, making it best suited for soft soaps or creams. If you'll be using it with harder soap pucks, I'd recommend requesting your brush be set deeper into the handle to provide greater backbone. The HMW is firmer, so that shouldn't be as much of an issue. You can see a visual comparison of the deep and normal WD brush settings here.

It's worth talking to the owner of the business, as he's a helpful chap, and he'll gladly help you tailor a brush to better suit your particular needs and preferences.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

The only reason to spend a ton of money on a brush is if you're chasing the holy grail (for me) of a really firm brush with soft tips. This is the kind of brush I prefer and I never found one that wasn't crazy expensive. The premium for that feel is ridiculous. If you like a softer feel without a ton of flop then that Saville Row brush is probably just the ticket. I have a Shavemac brush with a similar head and it's pretty damn good.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

As a courtesy to SmooveB, due to the years of abuse that I have given him on this topic, I'm going to give being a fancy man a try. I will do my best to maintain an open mind. My expectation is that slowing things down and spending more time on prep work, and using higher quality creams/soaps, will yield the greatest results. I will also put my theory to the test that using a cartridge razor correctly will yield similar results to using a DE safety razor. Although we will have to give that some time to accommodate the learning curve.

If the difference between the Mach 3 or Fusion and the safety razor is larger than I believe it is, I will retract my years of yelling at him. :)

But I'm using a stopwatch because there is no way you guys are hitting the times you claim you are. :)
Make up bags of change
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Enlarge Image
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I think you'll find that the difference in shave quality between a DE and a good cartridge is minimal. They will both shave well. The DE will just do it for a great deal less.

Building a lather on your face takes maybe 30 seconds longer than spraying foam from a can and applying it. Once you are proficient with a DE then the shave itself takes no longer than with a cartridge.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, at this point the Mach 37 could give an equal or greater shave...but it's not happening at $0.09 a blade (quick search seems to be $1.84 a blade). The shave you can get for $0.09 is remarkable as to question the insanity that is paying almost $2 a cartridge.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

In our defense, all those blade savings are necessary to fund the rest of your shaving habit. :)
Make up bags of change
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That's true. If I had to pay ~$2 a blade AND $40 for a 6.7 oz tub of imported shaving cream this would be ridiculous. :D
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Note to self, I can get 3 good shaves per razor

Tonight was shave #4
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Smoove_B wrote:That's true. If I had to pay ~$2 a blade AND $40 for a 6.7 oz tub of imported shaving cream this would be ridiculous. :D
To be fair, that $2 per cartridge includes SIX blades, so you're really only paying $0.33 per blade. You're just forced to use all six of them at the same time. :)
Make up bags of change
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

My level of hatred for Smoove_B has grown exponentially.
Make up bags of change
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

:dance:
Anonymous Bosch

Can you elucidate? RM9's growing hatred of Smoove_B is due to success or failure with his experimentations as a fancy man?
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

My Amazon wishlist shames me. And it's his fault. This is strike two (strike one was Ishmael).
Make up bags of change
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Ishmael took a solid year for you to relent. Shaving took almost a decade. I fear I won't be alive to see what the third strike is, but at least I'll die knowing you're a mother culture-hating fancy lad.
Anonymous Bosch

RunningMn9 wrote:My Amazon wishlist shames me. And it's his fault. This is strike two (strike one was Ishmael).
We have Smoove to thank for Ishmael!? Hmm, I see your point.

FWIW, I'd keep the Amazon wishlist pretty simple, e.g. you can't go wrong with Tabac shave soap or Proraso (if a refreshingly frosty menthol hadoken is more your cuppa), and a Semogue boar brush is a significant step up in quality over the Omega boar brushes, with a fairly minor increase in price. And a Merkur Heavy Duty razor is simple and built like a Panzer tank.